which cars should you never tune?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mekonrider
  • 40 comments
  • 3,546 views
Messages
436
United Kingdom
York/UK
Messages
mekonrider
Which cars do you reckon should NEVER be tuned in any way, even changing tyres?

One of the reasons I dupe is so I have an untouched version in case I feel I've ruined the balance of the car.

So far I feel I've ruined a number of Ferraris by giving them too much power.
 
Lancia Stratos
Lancia Delta Evo
 
The Mini Marcos runs very well out of the box. Yes, it i slow, but it's a fun little car that handles great for its size. All I did was an oil change on mine. It rules on races with small cars.
 
I try to keep most of my cars stock and drive them how they are or buy two and mess around with the extra.
 
The Toyota 2000GT. It´s too nice to be touched under the hood. I don´t even drive it :)
 
Any type of race car......super gt 500 cars with 700hp isnt right. ruins the fun of the car, if you need something faster then buy an lmp car or rm corvette
 
Yellowbird.

Are you suicidal or just like looking where you just came from. :scared:
I feel the yellowbird is way too much of a beast for me so i tuned mine and even added a little ballast to tame it.:D:D now i dont mind opening the door on it and dont fear that angry bite it has when i mess up. :dunce::)
 
If i dont want to tune some cars then i leave one stock and buy another one and tune it - for me problem solved
 
ady
Are you suicidal or just like looking where you just came from. :scared:
I feel the yellowbird is way too much of a beast for me so i tuned mine and even added a little ballast to tame it.:D:D now i dont mind opening the door on it and dont fear that angry bite it has when i mess up. :dunce::)

I'm a glutton for punishment, and have never been able to properly drive it -- stock -- since it's graced the GT series... but it's not for lack of trying. Any time I'm feeling particularly awesome and too big for my britches, I take it out for quick a spin *ha* for a nice warm slice of humble pie.

Despite any difficulties I have piloting it, it's a wonderful car that doesn't just bite the hand that feeds it -- it demands seconds as it kicks you in the nuts and makes disparaging comments on your mother's fidelity while delivering the late Sam Kinison's trademark scream amidst a blowoff *pssh*.
 
McLaren F1, Enzo Ferrari, F40. All were the arguably the greatest supercar of their time and deserve to be respected as that. Just my opinion. :-)
 
Jaguar Xj13
Ford MkIV
Ferrari P4

All become rather nasty to drive when tuned.
 
Lancia Stratos
Lancia Delta Evo

I used a tuned Delta for the first two levels of the Rally Special Event, it was great.

I also have a standard version though.

I also have tuned and standard versions of the Stratos, McLaren F1 and F40.

Bottom line is I respect their abilities and the part they play in the history of car design so I want to have a standard one to jump into, but I also wanted to see how much of a monster you can turn them into.

As it turns out, with the exception of the delta, all big hairy scarry ones that want to kill you and eat your liver.
 
Personally, I try to not touch classics, racing cars, tuner cars or... That might be it. That said, I do have examples of each that I bought duplicates of to have some fun, examples being the KPGC10, the CT230R and the C4 WRC. I also have a long list of street cars that I don't like tuning, mainly because I either love them and/or want to own one some day (Lotus Carlton, AE86, AW11 MR2 and most Evos, for example), but again, I will buy a duplicate if one comes along to tune.
 
I've left the Alfa Romeo TZ Zagato untouched. The balance is awesome, and it beats cars with twice the horsepower easily.
 
This is the tune up i do to all my cars. i find this is the best to control and maintain consistant fast laps

-Weight stage 2
-Engine Stage 2
-Sport ECU
-Sports Intake Manifold
-Sports Air filter
-Sports Exhaust
-Sports Exhaust Manifold
-Catalytic Converter: Sports
-Fully custom Transmission( set to top speed reached on track)
-Single Plate Clutch
-Sports Flywheel
-Carbon Propeller Shaft(depends if it is accelerating equal to torque)
-LSD ( important if you understand how to set it to tracks & help fight under/over steer.
-Fixed Sport Suspension
- Sport med/soft tires


As for turbos.. i use stage 2 if needed or a supercharger if allowed. this tune is for people who have a hard time controling their fully upgraded cars. Also this tune will beat the AI that has up to 200+ BHP over them.
 
Icons, some classics and race cars, if I tune a supercar I'll always have a second stock version. Also tuner cars like the Amuse S2000s and the like, but mostly because a "professional" already fiddled with it enough.

I generally prefer to drive stock cars.
 
tuskin 6 speed
Toyota Prius
Mazda Furai Concept’08
DMC DeLorean S2 ‘04
:)
 
I think when the OP mentioned tune, he meant mod or upgrade. Racecars are 'tuned' all the time dependent on the track being used and type race being run, so in that sense, there's no such thing as a racecar with a standard tune.

I just get a little confused when the word tune is used to describe both hardware upgrades and car setup.
 
I think when the OP mentioned tune, he meant mod or upgrade. Racecars are 'tuned' all the time dependent on the track being used and type race being run, so in that sense, there's no such thing as a racecar with a standard tune.

I just get a little confused when the word tune is used to describe both hardware upgrades and car setup.

On this board "tuned" generally means adding more parts.
I think the OP was talking about bolting on a bigger turbo to a SuperGT car, not tweaking the downforce on it.
 
Lexus LFA and All Super GT cars...
 
Any formula car, that's about it. RH or RM tires (whatever they come with) work just fine -- no reason for RS, it's overkill.

Now, having said that... with the power limiter and ballast (weight) add options, I don't understand why anyone would not tune a car. You can always dial back the power and add weight to get a vehicle back to stock specs, or back to a manageable driving personality, whatever you are looking for. My $0.02
 
Lamborghini murcielago LP670-4 SV
Lamborghini Nomad Diablo GT-1
Mazda 787B
Ferrari F430 scuderia
Ferrari 458 italia
Lexus LFA
Pagani Zonda's (all of them)
RUF CTR "yellowbird"
Audi R8 V10
Redbull X2010
Amuse S2000 GT1 turbo
 
Last edited:
I leave most street cars as stock as possible, maybe just upgrade to Sport Softs and a better suspension at the most. Sometimes I'll buy a second to tune so I can have a "tuner" version and a "stock" version.
 
Lamborghini 670-4 Super Veloce.
 
leave all cars stock...lol, or just do as little as possible....!!!!!!!!
 
Back