Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres what I think

Looks - Supra
Best Stock - Skyline
Best Modified - Supra
Funnest To Drive - Supra

My overall favourite - Supra

Hmm, I was going to keep my mouth shut until the JGTC cars were mentioned again (although I still have no idea why this thread was dug up again).

It was proven on the track a few months ago that the 2003 XANAVI JGTC NisMo Skyline is completely untouchable in comparison to Toyota's WoodOne Supra JGTC car when properly set up.

I would feel quite righteous in going into a huge and comprehensive list of technological and practical advantages of Skylines over any Supra, without even mentioning the sheer legend of the GT-R badge, but for now I'll save myself...

DE

are you talking stock jgtc with tuned settings or modified jgtc with performance upgrades? If so, I doubt your claim, the woodone has 975 hp, I know hp isn't everything, but that almost 100 more than the xanavi! I don't doubt my skill, so here is what I got in B-spec mode at Leguna Seca

stock xanavi rss tires - 1'21.278
stock woodone rss tires - 1'21.226

modified xanavi rss tires - 1'14.243
modified woodone rss tires - 1'14.029

It's not much but the supra is better.

I'm sorry to say, but all that proves is that in your hands, the woodone is MARGINALLY FASTER, not necessarily better.

We need REASONS as to why the Supra or Skyline is better.
Although I like to read the yes or no's I LOVE to read WHY people think it is better.
Now I do like the Supra and I think it is a very beautiful car, the performonce is amazing, and it handles like a beast. But in my opinion the Skyline is just a must better car suited to me.
I can tune it up to much higher HP figures, get the best handling out of it for MY style of driving (just throwing it into the corners, then coming out of them on FULL power with plenty of side ways action) and I dont have to worry about it.
Now when I do that with the Supra I just end up in the grass, or Kitty litter. Now I could change the way I drive, and be smooth and less forcefull with the Supra, but thats not how I drive. So to me the best out of the two has to be the Skyline hands down.

This does not mean I hate the Supra!! 👍 👍
Ciao

Well i bought a 97 Supra RZ (FR), and it was pushing nearly 860hp.
my freind bought a skyline, i think a Mine's Skyline, he was gettin about 815 HP ( AWD, i think?), i got up to 267MPH, he only got to 253 HP, he beat me off the line but my supra is a mid to high end preformance so than i shifted into the 4th and passed. im gunna try to get a video or images.

it's all about settings and driver as usual. when comparing stock against stock, supra has the advantage of better aerodynamics (Supra reached 180mph on Hunaudieres whereas R34 GT-R reached 170mph), since it's not based of sedan like Skyline is.

when both of these cars are tuned, it's other way round: GT-R is faster, and it's been proved in 300mph club. fastest GT-R is currently 911bhp R34 V-Spec II Nür @ 315mph, and fastest (904bhp) Supra has done 306mph. why? I suppose that GT-R Utilizes the power and torque better than Supra, and power & torque are very high in the rev range, where they're needed when going for top speed. this is also the reason why so few american cars are on the leaderboard.

and now we get to the handling..

just for fun: take 904 bhp Supra RZ and pull long, controllable and fast drifts in it without spinning. then, do the same in Gran Turismo Skyline ( not the pace car, but the one without lights ). fully tuned it has 938bhp, making it most powerful road GT-R. and since it can not have wing, it easily does "power over"-drifts that are easy to control, especially when you leave the VCD and FC differential off and let the ATTESA do the job...

conclusion: for traditional driving, take Supra. for ultimate adrenalin trip, take GT-R..

flamve
After reading almost the entire thread, only a few of the arguments were supported by numbers and reproducible facts. Now I have have been testing my tuned supra against my friends tuned skyline, and there has yet to be a track where he has beat my lap time.

Now we are both quite good at racing, I reached 100% in 3 months after launch, also I have collected every car. I use the dual shock 2, and he uses his driving force pro.

I have made my decision, That supra when tuned in GT4 is the superior car to the skyline. Plus, it looks a hell of a lot cooler than that square piece of crap body the skyline calls style.

Also, If he reads this, my blue supra is faster, you're crappy silver skyline is already broken. hahahahaha ha.

You Arse you cant begin to touch my skill with the skyline and even if I use the supra I get better times than you! And "coolness" is based on personal appeal. The 300C looks about as "plain" as the Skyline. Of course the way I see it is that it almost always comes down to the Driver and Course in a races between Skyline and Supra. No matter how you cut it thats the way it goes.
And Your b-spec bob isn't even 100% though.
(on a side note my real car I go with isn't discussed here unfourtunetly.)
Oh and well said Leonidae.

And still people are making the mistake of comparing the Supra to a R34 Skyline.

Dudes, wake up!

It's Supra vs. R33, not R34.

The Supra was not renewed until after '97-'98, while a brandnew Skyline came out in '99 and still is in produce...

So stop talking nonsens and rubbish about Xanavi, R34 V-spec, M-spec II Nur, Bur Mur and get back to the topic!

Toyota Supra - Nissan Skyline R33

Which is better?

Someone do a well writen in-depth comparison on the two
Actually we should have more than one person b/c it will show more data and less bias

Both Smuttney and Leo's posts reflect my opinions too, so 👍 to them both.

Pink, you have a good point about comparing the R34 to the Supra RZ to be marginally inaccurate, although the thread title doesn't mention what ages the cars should be - so the latest Skyline can be compared to the latest Supra, and if that means '97 vs. '99 or even as late as 2002 then so be it.

PtF
while a brandnew Skyline came out in '99 and still is in produce...
Are you saying that the R34 Skyline is still in production? Try finding a few facts on that one.

Oh, and it's not 'nonsens and rubbish about Xanavi', because the JGTC cars are the same age made to the same specifications.

DE

for me the supra is a great handling car when tuned, but so is the skyline. the supra is more agile since its rwd and lighter than the gtr but for looks id go with the gtr, for racing a tuned supra or skyline at tsukuba i usually get faster times with the supra than skyline. but i love them both. i guess in the end its just a matter of preference and which one your willing to stick with and tune to your exact specs untill you reach your desired time or speed.

If were going to compare a supra vs skyline here is the run down.
For the latest 97 Supra we have to find the closest Skyline to compete for that year.

1997 Toyota Supra MK IV - Manual transmission available on turbo models. Restyled. All 1997 labeled as 15th Anniversary model. Japanese production stops in September.

Production Year:
Nissan R33 GT-R 1995-1998
Nissan R34 GT-R 1999-2002

So it would have to battle the:

97' Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Vspec.
Which you can find in the Used Car Lot.

1997 Toyota Supra RZ Vs. 1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R Vspec R33

I'm going to start with the Comparison Right Now..👍

Correction since the Supra is using it's top model RZ it's only fare to use the GTR's top model Vspec for that year.

I've started a test of the (Black) 10Km (6.2 Eath Miles) models of the Supra RZ and the 97 GT-R.

So far I am less than impressed with the stock (+oil) Skyline running in the Japanese Championship. But I need to run the Supra before I can say which I prefer and why.

I'm going to do some testing here too. I'll be using a few more of each model though.

Should have them up by midnight. (a little less than three hours)

Edit: Take that back, it'll be finished tomorrow. I just added a few more tests that I don't think I can finish tonight.

Here's a teaser:

Scheduled Fights

Round 1: 1988 Supra 3.0GT Turbo A v. 1989 Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) (Supra has upper hand more power)

Round 2: 1990 Supra 2.5GT Twin Turbo R v. 1989 Skyline GT-R (R32) (R32 should blow the Twin Turbo away)

Round 3: 1997 Supra SZ-R v. 2001 Skyline Sedan 350GT-8 (yes, top of the line, but its a sedan!)

Round 4: 1997 Supra RZ v. 1997 Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) v. 1999 Skyline GT-R (R34) (the equals and the most normal R34)

As far as bias, you could sort me with the Skyline fans, but only because it is the better car in my hands. I'll post the write up in the write up forum, but I'll post a link in here.

Did a comparison as well, I was quite dissapointed how much loss of traction it had with sports/medium tires. It makes ecceptionaly bad starts :indiff:

I simply love the Skyline R33 for its looks, it's my favorit Skyline of the whole pack 👍

Both stock, the Supra takes my choice, always been a Supra fan so that's what made my choice.

Fully modified them both and took them towards Suzuka were the Supra was clearly the fastest :eek:

So you see, it's quite a weird situation here, the Supra is the superior over the R33 but can't beat the R34 like it did with the R33. In fact, it looses by much in stock form due to the traction problem :indiff:

I'm finally done with my comparos. This one was kind of close.

The Basics:

97' Supra RZ
325Hp @ 5600
391.59lbs @ 3600
1510kg

97' GTR R33 Vspec
319hp @ 6800
308.41lbs @4400
1530kg

Test Track Results: Oil change No TCS R5Tires for acuracy which eliminates any wheel spin.

0-400m

Supra
R33

0-1000M

Supra
R33

Top Speed

Supra
180.02mph
R33
174.60mph

Stock for Stock after 3 World circuits at 5 laps each.
S3 Tires
No TCS
With Oil Change

Tsukuba Circuit

97' Supra RZ
Avg sec quicker: 1.9

Supra's power & TQ really helps muscle it's way through the tight turns.
Held it's line pretty well. Stock suspension is allot stiffer and more refined than the GTR.
R33 stock is just to heavy and stands very tall. Isn't balanced enough to get into turns aggressively. it suffers severe under steer in result me applying the breaks early.

Infineon Sports Course
97' Supra RZ
Avg sec quicker: 1.78

Supra had slight over steer the elevation changes really paid a toll on it's lap times but still the victor.

The R33 did very well over the various elevations keeping all the wheels planted for maximum traction. Cornering speeds were also quicker.

Circuit de La Sarthe I

97' Supra RZ
Avg sec quicker: 5.6

Here the Supra hands down really shined here it's straight line speed was amazing.

The R33 just ran out of breath.

Conclusion:

Supra
Pros. The Supra just flat out had more power. Came with a nice tight suspension and handled very well. Tq was the favor for me exiting was wonderful point and turn and feel the Tq lunging you out.
Cons.
Slight over steer and under steer a little Twitchy at high speeds and tends to wonder a bit.

R33
Pros. It's AWD was sweet no sign of wheel spin. Cornering speed were nice and controllable at the right moment.
Cons.
Slightly heavier terrible under steer especially under breaking The car sat really high and pitching Suspension was way to soft.

Now for a bonus I wanted to see how well Both cars handled with R2 Tires, FULL TUNE @ MIDFIELD TRACK.
Full tune:

97' Supra RZ
832hpHp @ 5600
773.49lbs @ 3600
1253kg

97' GTR R33 Vspec
755hp @ 6800
578.13lbs @4400
1278kg

I was going to do various tracks but I didn't feel it was necessary.

97' Supra RZ
Best lap: 1.04.274

97' GTR R33 Vspec
Best lap: 1.05.549

I was very impressed with the R33 I had very little complaints. My settings were on point. With mild over steer just how I like it. I was actually trapping slightly faster MPH in the corners than the Supra.
The Supra Was a Beast in the straight line. It had massive wheel spin which I solved with a little TCS and LSD but then became a little pushy. Overall it was perfect. For some reason I enjoyed the Supras ride more maybe because it was more challenging to get under control. I lapped with this car more than I did with the R33. It felt so good I didn't want to stop. The R33 was quite repetitive with it's amazing cornering style. I mean it behaved the same way at every corner. It was the most consistent of the two and got boring pretty quick. So there you go that's my two cents.

What this proved to me was the the GTR's ATTESA AWD is a masterpiece suffocating any sense of wheel spin.
If you gave the R33 the same power as the Supra not even just 60 more ponies and TQ it could have been allot quicker.

I then began some test's with the R34 don't waist your time the Supra won't stand a chance.:scared:

This almost asks the question how much has the Skyline improved from the four wheel drive era.

(R32/R33/R34) a Laurence Pomeroy performance index please!

Supra still looks superior. Skyline looks like it has armour plates from some Judge Dredd film.

Which is part of the appeal for me, that big beast "go slow in front of me and I'll eat you and spit out your exhausts" kinda look...

However I am a big Supra fan, did some testing of my own and the Supra RZ did come out on top 9 times out of 10.

IMO, the R34 looks ugly.

No, really! The R32 and R33 were such beauties :drool: with their nice round shapes and then the R34 came up like LEGO or something...

Yeah Stock for Stock and fully tuned the R33 lost.
The Skyline stock just performed horrible compared to the Supra. The only thing I found that would help the R33 handle better but still retain some of it's stock form would be just lowering it a bit with a sports suspension.

But when fully tuned the R33 had 77hp 195ft lbs less and 25kg heavier than the Supra.

What do you guys think looking at the disadvantage in power the R33 had.

Do you think it would have been quicker given the right amount of power?

IMO I'm not sure it was at avg a little over a second slower.

Another test:

I ran the 2000 R34 GTR at Midfield fully tuned and had 843hp 656ft lbs that's
11hp more and 117ft lbs less and 25kg heavier than the Supra. You would think by the numbers the Supra would be the Winner.

With R2 tires at MIDFIELD
Best Lap Time: 1.03.289

It was .985 quicker than the RZ

Finally 3 years later Nissan get's it right. The R34 was heavier Had less tq and only 11hp more yet it managed almost a full second quicker not once but on avg.:) :) :)

Alright this Test would end all speculations for the 97' Supra RZ

I ran the same test's but this time I had the POWER to Weight Ration as close as possible.

97' Supra RZ
PW: 4.577

97' GTR R33 Vspec
PW: 4.575

@ Tsukuba
Supra .678 avg quicker
@ Le Sarthe
Supra 1.849 avg quicker

Still the Supra was faster even with the .002 more on the ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back