which is more efficient on corners

NeCrOmAnCeR_GT
suppose you will hit a corner on 2nd gear.. then right at the moment you enter the corner, the car reaches its rev limit on 2nd gear. will you shift up to 3rd or just rev it??

So, have you braked and changed down to 2nd in order to take the corner? If so, I would change down to 3rd instead of 2nd.

But a lot depends on the car. Can it rev so you can take a lower gear? Or is a torque monster that can pull a higher gear?

It depends on a few things.

It's all about momentum, if the car will pull hard in either gear, leave it in the higher gear. If the corner is downhill you can get away with staying in the higher gear more often than if it were an uphill corner. If its a track/car you'll be spending a bit of time on it pays to memorise the top speeds in each gear and how fast you can get around corners when you have a good line. Bogging down an engine that doesn't have the torque to get back up to speed quickly will murder your lap times, sometimes its better to drop a gear to keep the momentum.

Sometimes if you are on a killer line you will be able to leave it in a higher gear but if you are on the wrong side of the track you'll have to brake harder anyway so you'll be better off in the lower gear to get back up to speed. This means you have to consider your position on the track, what cars are around you, how much of the race is left (is it worth throwing the car into the corner and taking a bit of a risk). You often have to make these split second decisions when you are racing up to a corner and are about to cook it. That moment before the corner is the exact reason I love Gran Turismo and i'm glad they haven't f'cked that up somehow.

Also, if you are about to enter a corner way too fast, dropping to the lower gear will help you slow down (unless you've really cooked it). You'd have to slow down anyway, if you leave it in third and do manage to pull up with the brakes alone you'll still be going to slow so are better off in second anyway.

EDIT: Also, sometimes you may be in a situation where dropping back a gear means you have to be a little more careful with the accelerator or you'll spin the tyres and lose momentum. In that situation its sometimes better to leave in in the higher gear and not have to worry about that (if you are in traffic or its a nasty corner etc...). Same deal with shifting up early in the lower gears of some powerful cars. Technically it'd be quicker to go to 80% throttle etc... and change at the redline but its easier just to shift up early (unless you are chasing the last few 1/1000's for a gold licence). I've got a few cars that when starting from the grid, I rev the crap out of them and launch in 2nd gear because its faster than smoking the tyres while everyone else takes off.

Last edited:
There's so many variables. The only real way to see which works best is to try it out. Keep an eye on your speed and try both methods. Generally the one with the highest exit speed will be the most efficient.
In most of my cars I leave them in the lower gear to take the corner, but a couple have huge low end torque so I'll put them in the higher gear.

Depends, you may have lost cornering speed by shifting into 2nd, while it may seem the car travels through easier you might have lost overal speed, really depends.

I generally go up a gear and use the torque of the engine. Also it`s smoother than having to change during the corner and you can concentrate of the whole corner and a smooth exit.

Latest Posts

Back