Which one is more real?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTP_Fangio
  • 15 comments
  • 1,679 views
Messages
130
Portugal
Autodromo do Estoril
Messages
GTP_Fangio
Well, since the physics are not the same in Arcade or Online, i´m wondering which mode is the best, loyal, accurate to real life in your opinion.
 
There is a definite difference between Arcade and GT Life. I was doing the Loeb Chamonix race (with a selection of Assists - Traction Off, SRF On, Mild Steering Correction, Stability On and ABS of 1) and got Gold (just) when I eventually got to the end of the course (after a number of restarts).

I did the same course in Arcade so that I could learn it before completing the Loeb Challenge there, and with the same set of Assists on I was able to complete the course 40 seconds faster! The car felt much nicer in Arcade with all those Assists on. It felt as if there were no assists at all!
 
If you go to Chamonix in GT Life's Practice Mode, it's the same as in Arcade. The Loeb Challenge is artificially made slippier to be more of a challenge. Toscana and Eiger feels a bit different as well, though not as much as Chamonix.

I sense no difference between Arcade and GT Life, except in licenses where SRF is locked on. Online does seem to have a bit less grip. I'm guessing it's hardware limitation? With online the PS3 has to send/receive data and process physics at the same time, so the model is simplified?
 
Thanks for that , I had not tried the Chamonix track other than in Arcade and the Loeb Challenge. Don't you just love the way the game moves the goalposts on some of these challenges to make life "interesting"!
 
Its been discussed in other threads, the reason online feels different is the tire wear and loss of fuel which you wont see offline.(besides endurance)

Since both of those things are factors in real life id say the online is more "real", but the physics are the same.
 
Online does seem to have a bit less grip. I'm guessing it's hardware limitation? With online the PS3 has to send/receive data and process physics at the same time, so the model is simplified?

As an educated guess, I'd say it could be that. Or maybe to artificially create more of a challenge when playing online?
 
I still haven't noticed a major difference between the two besides fuel and tires. Some people say that tunes get messed up, or some cars become undrivable. I haven't seen it. Though I must admit, I don't play offline a lot.

From my limited experience, I'd say online is more realistic because it accounts for fuel weight and tires (which kind of goes against the simplification theory above, maybe).
 
I wonder if in GT Life you are driving with an empty gas tank, or is it full?
 
The fuel and tire probably play big part. Online, your car feels like it has less grip, the braking/acceleration is worse, and it feels more heavier.
 
Well, the cars are more tail-happy offline, so IDK
 
I wonder if in GT Life you are driving with an empty gas tank, or is it full?

Offline it appears as though your running on low/empty tank and tires at their best condition. To do the same lap times online as I do offline, I have to run the fuel down, pit in, put fresh tires on and keep a low fuel tank and then I have approx 5 lap window in which to match my best offline times before my tires go off and the grip slides away.
 
Physics are different online, if you watch credit there is even a credit for the guy that did the online physics.

I'm not talking about GT life tho, just online VS offline.
 
GT mode is more accurate...but GTR2 is MORE accurate, as is GTR EVOLUTION , Live For Speed, rFactor, and most any other PC SIM. (Not the need for speed series either)
 
Online physics factor in a full tank fuel load, lighter and smaller cars will feel it a lot more. And since GT5 cars have a 100 litre tank, it changes things a lot. Tyres are also colder when starting a race, which catches most people out, and it's why I take it easy on the first lap, and overtake all the reckless drivers as they go off track or spin out :)

Offline your assumed to have an empty tank when running practise/time trial
 
I would say that neither feel real, so can't answer that one.
 
Back