Which psp for gt?

• Thread starter b_schwarz
  • 38 comments
b_schwarz
i want gran turismo psp, which console should i get?

psp 1000 - i can pick up a second hand one of these from GAME for about £60.
psp 2000 - same again but for about £80.
psp 3000 - not so cheap but apparently has a better screen.
psp go - really expensive.

the reason i ask is, i've visited many forums but cannot find any advantage's of the newer models over the older one's since i own a ps3 and ps2, will not be getting the psp hacked or even buying any other games apart from GT.

any advice will be muchly appreciated. i dont want to waste money on gimmicks but will i have a better experience of GT with a newer psp?

I own a 1000 and the game looks/plays fine.(GT was the reason I bought it when they first came out, I figured it would have been released before this month)

Get the cheapest one you can find if money is an issue.
Any of the three models are just fine for GT.
But if you have a few to spare, get the 3000.

Forget the PSPgo --- too expensive.

I own a 1000 and the game looks/plays fine.(GT was the reason I bought it when they first came out, I figured it would have been released before this month)
lol...

If you're ever going to use it for GT, then just buy the cheapest one.

If GT Mobile is the only game you are go to buy, then go for the cheapest one! I bought the GO because i can use a DS3 with it! I also thought the price for the GO was cut and you get GT Mobile for free.

Wait until October 20. The GTPSP bundle comes out then and it comes with the following, a 2GB card, PSP-3000, GTPSP, a PSN movie voucher, 10 song voucher for Sony Music store online, and it comes with the special White Corvette ZR-1. Its going to be US$200 or in other words about 300EU(keyboard doesn't have the pound sign or the Euro sign).
I Would say its worth it but yet again, you are in the Europe region so it may sound expensive for you.
Again reiterating what others have said, get youself a second hand 1000 or 2000 since they are cheaper if money is the issue

I have the 1000 but, I was debating getting a 3000 just for UMD games and leaving the 1000 solely for hack n' brew.

Either way, the screen blur isn't too bad. mostely black objects tend to blur (I guess the pixels have to warm up or something) but, it kinda looks cool... like a bit of black smog is surrounding the tires(Sometimes I pretend my car is possessed by an evil demon... not really)

Weird. The 3000 here seems to be supplanting the 2000, and is generally $20 cheaper than what I paid for a 2000 not really realizing there was a 2000 versus a 3000.

Shouldn't shop in a hurry.

I'd determined that UMD [size=+1]GT[/size]PSP (aka Gran Turismo Lite?) was hard to obtain; network order cards for the Go were plentiful. I didn't want to jump right into internetworking to obtain [size=+1]GT[/size], so thought I'd prefer the UMD version. Also, at all the usual places, PSPs themselves were not well displayed (except for the Go).

Now, I knew the original had changed to a slimmer model many years ago, but actually hadn't noticed the 2000 to 3000 change. I knew most places advertised old PSPs (actually 3000s) for $169, but wasn't sure how much of a promotion that might be?

So I bought the UMD game, and the PSP-2000 for $189Cdn instead of $169, and a 4G card which, although expensive compared to SD, wasn't too far out-of-line. Still came to less than the limited-time price of a PS3 120G.

Running [size=+1]GT[/size]Lite seemed to require a fairly major-sounding firmware upgrade, automatically done by the UMD disk. It seemed to install okay. And then there I was trying to figure out if I can get rid of that silly voice going "Ready! . . . Go!". (Yippee!)

And now I'm trying to figure out what, if any, significant differences there are between the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000.

For a while I wasn't upset about paying a little more for an older model, especially given the way fun features tend to disappear as Sony products evolve, but if you say the 3000 in Europe is marketed as somehow much better...

I was amazed at how good the screen looks, but then I usually play on [size=+1]GT4[/size] on an old RF TV.

The PSP 3000 screen is much better:

psp-3000-vs-psp-2001-01.jpg

psp3000_screen002.jpg

psp3000_better.jpg

more: http://kotaku.com/5064846/lets-compare-psp-3000-again

As shown, Slim and Brite is better with contrast and has somewhat better response time (I personally think the screen is fantastic, but not enough to give up CFW). Otherwise they are practically identical.

If GT Mobile is the only game you are go to buy, then go for the cheapest one! I bought the GO because i can use a DS3 with it! I also thought the price for the GO was cut and you get GT Mobile for free.

How does one do this? Is it just a wireless pairing process? If so I'll be picking one up for myself pretty soon, price at that point will not bother me much.

As shown, Slim and Brite is better with contrast and has somewhat better response time (I personally think the screen is fantastic, but not enough to give up CFW). Otherwise they are practically identical.

Same here Custom CFW here... Or nothing.

snap004.jpg

What makes CFW so good? I've heard it mentioned but why would it make older HW so desirable?

Many reasons....

Overclocking the Processor.

Playing music off your memory stick with ANY game. Turning off any sound line (Commentary, music, menue sounds, in ANY game)

Backing up your games as ISO files and playing them off your memory stick (Dont have to use your UMD's or cary them with you)

Play games stored on your PC without a Memorystick through the USB cable.

Using Homebrew apps, homebrew games.

Playing PSX games for any firmware.

Accessing your memory stick from the PSP (as if it were a folder on windows) Unziping ziping files on the PSP without the use of a PC.

CXMB customizing the XMB interface in very cool ways.

Playing PSP on your PC with a PS3 controller.

Capturing buffer screen shots, also capturing Giff's, & capturing video from the USB cable.

Using the Composit Cable to output gameplay video to TV or USB to output the gameplay video to PC. (Games not just XMB)

Tweaking the PSP to be more user friendly, changing bootvideo gameboot video, seperating your memorystick into catagories.

Transfering files PSP to PSP via WiFi

Speed up memostick access.

Password lock your PSP.

Use Codebreaker codes on PSX games

Use CHeat devise similer to Codebreaker on PSP games (Populer for GTA Vice City and Liberty City)

USB charge whenever the USB cable is pluged in.

I could go on and on, it just keeps getting better....

I was torn by the same question - which PSP for GT? - and I went for the 3000. I wasn't seduced by the PSPgo because it is considerably more expensive, has a smaller screen and a worse button layout for my likings. Also, the 3000 seems to have the best screen of the old models, with great colors and contrast. And it does, the screen is just brilliant.

Then, there's the ghosting issue of the 1000 and the 2000 vs. the scanlines issue of the 3000. I do notice the scanlines on my 3000, not so much when gaming, but when watching videos. And it is somewhat annoying at times. But I guess that the ghosting on the older models also wouldn't be too nice to look at, so it would be like replacing one evil with another. I don't know if the screen of the PSPgo has any of those issues though.

The ghosting is quite noticeable on the old Fat PSP, in some cases it looks kinda neat, but mostly it's a pain. Though, meh.

Sinist3r, that sounds really rather neat, perhaps I can get my nephew to do that for me. The only question remaining I guess is how to bribe him. If you do this modification it can still play GTPSP I assume? (It sounds lite a pretty mature solution so I would think it could.)

The ghosting is quite noticeable on the old Fat PSP, in some cases it looks kinda neat, but mostly it's a pain. Though, meh.

Sinist3r, that sounds really rather neat, perhaps I can get my nephew to do that for me. The only question remaining I guess is how to bribe him. If you do this modification it can still play GTPSP I assume? (It sounds lite a pretty mature solution so I would think it could.)

Yup. I got GT PSP Loaded on my Memorystick. (Had the game 2 days before the oficial release date....)

I set it up last night to play GT PSP full screen on my PC using my PS3 DS3 controller :sly:

Piracy. That's the main reason. How'd you like every game for free? Then 1000 and 2000. I do not use CFW I hasten to add.

Playing backups of the games you own is perfectly legal :sly:

Ohh yeah, Emulators ROCK also.

Nintendo
SuperNES
Nintendo 64 (Mario64)

All on PSP

Last edited:
Well, for my two cents. I say the 3000, why? It come bundled with GT. It comes out Tuesday the 20th of this month. So, I've been waiting to get GTPSP until the 20th. I can't wait to play!

Piracy. That's the main reason. How'd you like every game for free? Then 1000 and 2000. I do not use CFW I hasten to add.

Not really interested in doing that. But the emulators sound great, I've got mint condition old consoles, but frankly I hate to pull them out as I'm kind of OCD. I wonder if it can emulate the stuff I played back in the day. (Atari 2600 and ColecoVision)

The compelling reason for me is DS3 usage and video capture.

Last edited:
Playing backups of the games you own is perfectly legal :sly:
Not on modified, unsupported hardware it isn't.

Fact is, anybody with a modded PSP plays illegal downloads. Saying you don't is like walking down to the local games store to get a game. You pick up the game and then as you ready your wallet to hand over the cash, you are asked if you want it for free. You say no, I'd rather pay for it. Riiiiight, sure you would!

Anyway, on-topic, if I were in the market for a PSP now to play GT, I'd get the Go, not for it's looks (hate the ergonomics), but for the screen and bluetooth.

Back