Which steering wheel? Logitech 27\29 or Thrustmaster T300RS?

Which steering wheel do you recommend?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
UK
pete_agreatguy
Hi all,

I've come to a decision to invest in a steering wheel for use with Euro Truck Sim 2, American Truck Sim and F1 games on PC and PS3 GT6 ... atm I'm not contemplating an upgrade to PS4. I love the GT series on PS consoles. I also love F1 games (mainly PC).

Anyway, I've done some basic research reading up on Logitech's G29 and the G27. I've not read too much on T300RS by Thrustmaster yet.

I've read that there have been issues around the compatibility of the G29 on the PS3 games. I'm not fussed about the shifter not working or clutch on PS3 GT6 as I would use the flappy paddles instead for gearing and can adapt to no clutch easily as don't use it on joypad. Can anyone else provide details about these issues?

Can I ask for other's experience of their steering wheel? I.e. Features (shifter, pedals, number of buttons, force feedback etc), durability (strength and quality of build), any issues setting up, ease of setting up, noise levels regarding operation etc.

Price is no issue.
Thanks in advanced for your help in aiding me to choose.

G27 is very good wheel but not compatible with PS4.
G29 is also very good wheel compatible with PS4(some people have problems with the buttons)
Edit: both G29 and G920 are now available at Currys and PC WORLD for £179.99, shifter for £24.99
T300rs have much better force feedback than G27/G29 but reliability is questionable.You can also add very good shifter and various pedals.
There will be new wheel from Thrustmaster(maybe direct drive):

Welcome to GTPlanet :gtpflag:

Last edited:
What's direct drive?
Direct drive means the wheel is directly attached to the steering shaft itself! Thrustmaster is doing away with the usual belts and gears and replacing them with a direct drive motor which will be employed by this new wheelbase.
Also what's the difference between the T300rs and the T500rs?
T500rs have more powerful force feedback but T300rs have brushless motor and less internal friction which makes the force feedback smoother.

Well at the moment I'm looking at getting the T300RS with the TH8A shifter and the T3PA pedals.
Excellent choice. I call the T300 the most affordable no compromise wheel. At a vaguely similar price point, sub-Clubsport Fanatec wheels, and the Logitech wheels each have their pros and cons that can be weighed up, but the T300 has no true weak points. Pay more (Fanatec V2, Accuforce, ECCI 7000, OSW) and you'll get a lift in all aspects (especially torque), but the T300 is where the linear growth model begins.

After 5 years of using the G27 I picked up the T300rs. The stock pedals failed after 1 week and I ended up getting the T3PA pedals. I couldn't be more disappointed with the T3PAs. They are not only very cheaply made compared to the G27/29 pedals but for me they have too little travel and the Spring in to brake pedal is far too light offering very little feel.

The T300 wheel is in fact very good with great feedback. In retrospect a great combination would have been the T300 wheel with the G27 pedals. Hopefully the T3PA pro pedals offer a better brake feel compared to the non pro pedals but I can't comment on that. Just don't waste you money on the non pro set.

If I could do it over I would simply get the G29 set as I can't really complain about the wheel and the Logitech pedals are amazing for the price. Nothing else to upgrade unless you want to change out the spring.

I went with the T300RS and haven't been happier. I got the wheel stand pro stand, GTS plate(to use pedals in GT form) and shifter bar from them, T3PA pro pedals, TH8A shifter, 599XX evo wheel, Ricmotech short shifter plate. I have been really happy with this setup and highly recommend it. The wheel works well with the PS3 too for GT6.

If I could do it over I would simply get the G29 set as I can't really complain about the wheel and the Logitech pedals are amazing for the price.
Have you been back to a gear driven wheel since using the T300 though. I've come across a few people that have had misguided memories of how their Logitech wheels felt, until they went back to them after a time and found the experience jarringly clunky.

GT6 is a game I would be using on the ps3. Still contemplating the G29 as it is the cheaper option, but with what I have seen the Thrustmaster is looking like a better choice.

Does anyone know if the T300rs will mount on a desk thickness of 12cm? If not I need to invest in a new computer desk.

Last edited:
G29 solely for the reliability. T300 may be the better overall wheel with FFB but the G29 pedals are better and you are much less likely to have to send it back. Just look at the threads for each wheel on here. One reason the T300 thread is larger is because it's filled with people having issues and complaining about it.

The G29 may not be as good of a wheel as the T300 but it works properly on PS3 and PS4 and you won't have to worry about it. I used (and still have) a G27 for 5 years with the only issue being a sticking brake pedal that needed to be greased. That's why I bought a G29.

Having had the T300 and G29 the G29 just felt far better when it came to ffb and the general feeling of the wheel and the pedals are vastly superior they were even better than the t3pa pedals i bought.

No matter what ffb settings i used in pcars with the t300 nothing ever felt good. While it didnt take much to feel right at home on the G29. G29 also feels great with Dirt Rally. Its also very cheap compared to the Thrustmaster which is a bonus.

I'm surprised people are saying T300 FFB is worse than G29. I've been mulling over these 2 wheels (it's a question of better FFB or better reliability), but if the T300 isn't really that much of a step up over the G29 then it's a no brainer really. Moreover since the stock T300 pedals suck.

I'm surprised to hear that too. I always thought T3PA is supposed to be equivalent to G25/27/29 stock pedals.

Is it build material? Pedal resistance? Ergonomics? Reliability?

All of the above.

Stock G27 pedals are on a completely higher level of quality and feel compared to the T3pa pedal set.

Last edited:
G29 solely for the reliability. T300 may be the better overall wheel with FFB but the G29 pedals are better and you are much less likely to have to send it back. Just look at the threads for each wheel on here. One reason the T300 thread is larger is because it's filled with people having issues and complaining about it.

The G29 may not be as good of a wheel as the T300 but it works properly on PS3 and PS4 and you won't have to worry about it. I used (and still have) a G27 for 5 years with the only issue being a sticking brake pedal that needed to be greased. That's why I bought a G29.

Exactly the same here. My G27 is 5 years old and I only bought a G29 because it was on a special that I couldn't resist. The G29 is smoother and quieter and the new brake pedal is awesome. I'm looking forward to another good 5 years.

Exactly the same here. My G27 is 5 years old and I only bought a G29 because it was on a special that I couldn't resist. The G29 is smoother and quieter and the new brake pedal is awesome. I'm looking forward to another good 5 years.
Yup, I only bought the G29 because my G27 isn't compatible with my PS4. I paid $300 last November with Black Friday deals and picked up PCars for another $20.

Comparing my old G25 pedals to the T3PAs, I personally prefer T3PA. Yes, the arms are plastic, but they have a more comfortable spacing, no worse throw, higher resolution (10bit versus 8bit) and the brake weight is hugely customizable via the conical brake mod which you can screw in to give a progressive brake weight.

Having run my T300, T500 and old G25 across many sims (GT6, AC, pCARS, iRacing, DiRT Rally, Raceroom) as far as I'm concerned the Logitech cog-drive is clearly deficient. The motor in the Logitech is also significantly weaker, so you have two main disadvantages:
1. The motor can't generate enough torque to "get out of the way" in many instances. For instance when drifting or when throwing around a rally car you need to "help" the Logitech wheel round, whereas the T300 will just spin through your fingers fast enough in most situations.
2. Cog rattle. Yes, the Logitech feels "lively", however quite a bit of what you think is road surface feedback is actually just cog rattle. Switching to a belt driven but fast reacting wheel like the T300 at first you think that you've lost surface detail, but you then realise that in fact you've lost the cog rattle and what is left is just what the game delivers.... and then you realise that you are able to control cars easier because the information the car is giving through the FFB is clearer to understand, and the greater dynamic range helps with feeling subtle effects earlier too.

Final point: I did go back to my G25 after a while using the T300, but couldn't stand it. It feels like the antiquated tech it is. If my T300 broke tomorrow and my warranty was expired (which it isn't, 2 year EU warranty), I'd still not get the G25 out of the box from the attic, I'd go out and buy a new T300 base straight away.

@skazz That's more like what I'm expecting. Have you tried any G27/G29 by any chance? I'm wondering if the improvement in FFB from G25 to G27/29 is similar to the jump from G27/29 to T300?

My situation is I've had my G25 for 8 years, still going strong, but lately I feel that I've outgrown the wheel. There's some instances where the accuracy and feedback just doesn't cut it anymore.

If I switch to G29, it's gonna be reliable, but it will only be a marginal improvement on FFB.

If I switch to T300, I'm expecting much better FFB, but reliability is always looming as a dark shadow. Stock pedals are not an issue because I can get a Ricmotech adapter and just use my G25 pedals.

Then there's the question of the new TM wheel. If that's direct drive that will be the best FFB, but price is probably out of my reach.

Honestly, if G25 is supported for next gen I wouldn't even have this headache and just use it instead.

I will say it again. T300RS is a GREAT wheel, while it still working.

Every single person that i know who has/had a T300 had some kind of problem, including myself.
Go for G29, i'm getting back to Logitech.

I purchased a T300 a year and a half ago. I have also bought a V2 wheel stand, shifter, T3PA pro pedals, and Alcantra rim.

I love my wheel, however after a year and 1 month my wheel went out. Thrustmaster was horrible and wouldn't help, so I had to buy a new one. My shifter also went out and they had to send me the same part a few times, because the ones they sent were faulty.

Great wheel, poor reliability, even worse customer service.

T300 is a great wheel, but the reliability of it and its sister wheel, the TX, is suspect. I have both wheels and they both have failed.

Wow, the two wheels?

That's sad man.

I'm talking with a guy who has a T500RS with a F1 add-on and man... the price is GOOD!!

I don't know what to do!!:indiff::nervous::odd::ouch:

what do you guys thik about the T500?

Wow, the two wheels?

That's sad man.

I'm talking with a guy who has a T500RS with a F1 add-on and man... the price is GOOD!!

I don't know what to do!!:indiff::nervous::odd::ouch:

what do you guys thik about the T500?
Sturdy wheel, went through lots of development between early release version and the latest ones with GT6 branded box. If it's a very early model (2011) there are some weak spots (like torsion springs in the pedals which can break, fan which can be noisy).

The motor is noticeably more powerful than a T300, but there is more internal resistance. The benefit over a T300 is that when it works well you feel more realism, but sometimes the resistance gets in the way (quick accurate flicks to hold slides are more difficult). The T500 is also harder to use than a T300 because you have to fight the power.... You can't simply set it to very low gain, because then it becomes spongy in feel, so you have to set it nice and powerful and embrace the workout.

Fixed paddle shifters are fine for me, although for open wheel cars I'd definitely want the shifters on the rim, so the combo with the F1 rim is excellent.

I own both T300 and T500 (attached to PC and console rigs respectively). Personally I prefer my T300, because I like the lower resistance and accept the lower power as a fair trade off, but that power can definitely put a grin on your face. And I'm pretty sure the T500 is less prone to QC issues, especially if you are looking at a recent GT6 box one.

Last edited:
Right OK, really stuck on making decision lol.

If I'd go with the Logitech (29 as it's most up to date), I'd also be able to get the Trackir.

If I'd get the TM wheel (t300rs) with the shifter and pro pedals as they seem better, I wouldn't be able to afford Trackir straight away.

Can people say in their opinion which I should get and why?

Latest Posts

Back