Which Steering Wheel to buy

• Thread starter turbo928
  • 32 comments
Hi all,

I am planning to get my first steering wheel for GT5, so I read a lot of steeling wheel posts (mainly forcing on G27 and TS-500, but I am open with other good steering wheel e.g. Fanatec wheels). According to those posts, both G27 and TS-500 have their own problems. I am wondering can anyone give me some suggestion (with their reason if possible).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how much money you want to pay. The G27 is an awesome wheel to go with but the TS-500 is certaintly the higher quality product but it also costs a lot more money. You should also check out the new Fanatic CSR Elite wheel.

If you have the money then either the Fanatec CSR Elite (which may not be available yet) or the Thrustmaster TS-500. All of them are great.

If it is for GT5 then get the T500 RS if you have the money. It is the best wheel for GT5 at this point in time. Plus it is officially supported since the start, while the G27 only just got official support and is still buggy from what I hear. I would not go for the G27 as it wobbles a lot on a bumpy straight. For example the x2011 on the straight of La Sarthe.
If you have issues with the fan the Thrustmaster will send you a replacement. Look in the T500 RS thread for a post of mine from my communication with them about it.

Good luck in picking your wheel.

I would not go for the G27 as it wobbles a lot on a bumpy straight. For example the x2011 on the straight of La Sarthe.

This comment confused me.... Surely the wheel is moving left and right along the Mulsanne straight (as the main straight is called) because you are driving over bumps which push the car around?
I'd say that if the wheel isn't being jolted left and right according to the bumps on the road, then the wheel isn't doing a good job. GT5 since Spec 2 does a good job of this, and reminds me much more of the FFB in iRacing, which is a good thing. There is a really nasty bump half way round the first chicane on the Mulsanne which now pushes any tightly sprung race car out wide and gives you a big jolt in the wheel too - very cool.

My Fanatec GT2 jolts around slightly more based on road surface variations since Spec 2 than it did before, so perhaps you've not tested a Thrustmaster wheel since the update and don't realise that this jolting along the Mulsanne is an improved feature of Spec 2?

skazz
This comment confused me.... Surely the wheel is moving left and right along the Mulsanne straight (as the main straight is called) because you are driving over bumps which push the car around?
I'd say that if the wheel isn't being jolted left and right according to the bumps on the road, then the wheel isn't doing a good job. GT5 since Spec 2 does a good job of this, and reminds me much more of the FFB in iRacing, which is a good thing. There is a really nasty bump half way round the first chicane on the Mulsanne which now pushes any tightly sprung race car out wide and gives you a big jolt in the wheel too - very cool.

My Fanatec GT2 jolts around slightly more based on road surface variations since Spec 2 than it did before, so perhaps you've not tested a Thrustmaster wheel since the update and don't realise that this jolting along the Mulsanne is an improved feature of Spec 2?

I own a T500 RS and a G25. So I have tested both. What you describe is correct. But due to the space between the teeth of the gears of the Logitech wheels the wheel starts to come into conflict between the subtle force feedback effects and the wheel trying to center. You see, because of the room between gears it goes too far left or right, resulting in the wheel to try and push it back pushing it to far again and so on. This starts the wobble. Also since the positioning sensor is on the force feedback motor and not the wheel itself, it doesn't matter if you keep the wheel straight. If the engine can turn more then it's programmed dead-zone, then it will simply induce this behavior no matter what.

But due to the space between the teeth of the gears of the Logitech wheels the wheel starts to come into conflict between the subtle force feedback effects and the wheel trying to center. You see, because of the room between gears it goes too far left or right, resulting in the wheel to try and push it back pushing it to far again and so on. This starts the wobble.
Thanks for the clear and concise answer.
My confusion still remains, though, since I've not really noticed this behaviour so clearly on my own G25 (not tried it lately in GT5, but did a lot of iRacing with it). Do you think that perhaps this wobble becomes worse with age as the plastic cogs wear?

Thanks for the clear and concise answer.
My confusion still remains, though, since I've not really noticed this behaviour so clearly on my own G25 (not tried it lately in GT5, but did a lot of iRacing with it). Do you think that perhaps this wobble becomes worse with age as the plastic cogs wear?

I reckon it will, the more plastic is removed off of the teeth the more room it will have. Maybe you should try hooking up your G25 for the heck of it and play GT5 with La Sarthe and any fast car. I dare that you let go of the wheel at 250+ km/h on the straight when you're sure the wheel is stable. I bet you'll notice the wobble.

I can let go of the wheel with my T500 RS without worry. ;)

I had a G27 and did not like it with GT5, I purchased a T500 and love it, so much I purchased a second one. Well worth the money.

Hi all,

I am planning to get my first steeling wheel for GT5, so I read a lot of steeling wheel posts (mainly forcing on G27 and TS-500, but I am open with other good steeling wheel e.g. Fanatec wheels). According to those posts, both G27 and TS-500 have their own problems. I am wondering can anyone give me some suggestion (with their reason if possible).

Thanks.

I reckon it will, the more plastic is removed off of the teeth the more room it will have. Maybe you should try hooking up your G25 for the heck of it and play GT5 with La Sarthe and any fast car. I dare that you let go of the wheel at 250+ km/h on the straight when you're sure the wheel is stable. I bet you'll notice the wobble.

I can let go of the wheel with my T500 RS without worry. ;)
Interesting... I can't let go of my Fanatec GT2 in this situation either, it will start oscillating back and forwards just like a Logitech wheel (my DFGT did this too). But if I run Forza 4 there's no such problem, it doesn't oscillate.

I always assumed this was something in the GT5 code for the G25, and Fanatec uses G25 compatibility mode inside GT5 so it inherits the problem. But your explanation is totally different and now I don't know why the Fanatec does this oscillating.

The precision in terms of resolution of the sensors is used on the wheels is different. I believe the G25/27 and Fanatec Porsche line only use a 10-bit resolution where as the T500 RS is 16-bit. Resulting in it letting the game know more accurately where it is. With a lower resolution it is bound to be out of bounds earlier, due to inaccurate measurement.
The bounds of the Force Feedback are controlled by the code written for the Force Feedback effects and the Centering Spring effect.
So if it is going out of bounds on the right, the FFB/Centering effect will say that the motor needs to turn the steeringwheel to the left. At high speeds it is such a heavy jerk, that it will go out of bounds on the left side again. Thus like you said oscillating back and forth, getting heavier as the FFB things it should give a stronger effect given the position of the wheel. Thus going also out of bounds further and further until the effects of the car going out of control kick in as well.

Also I don't know if it does matter, but the Porsche line of wheels have 1 belt against 2 belts in the T500 RS. Now one would say the more rubber the more slack, so it's not that but purely the sensor on the motor and its resolution.

ps. I think this can be easily fixed by PD to be honest, but I am sure they are helping TM to sell their T500 RS as the official GT5 wheel. So it's licensed and thus meaning they will also benefit from the sales of the T500 RS.

Clear explanation, still while I've experienced this oscillation very rarely using the G25 in PC sims, the truth is that GT5's FFB model seems to exacerbate it. As mentioned, Forza 4 doesn't suffer from this problem atall, probably because it also uses the vibration motors in the wheel rim to help provide some effects I guess. I really wish they'd just code the GT5 FFB differently to reduce the effect.

Clear explanation, still while I've experienced this oscillation very rarely using the G25 in PC sims, the truth is that GT5's FFB model seems to exacerbate it. As mentioned, Forza 4 doesn't suffer from this problem atall, probably because it also uses the vibration motors in the wheel rim to help provide some effects I guess. I really wish they'd just code the GT5 FFB differently to reduce the effect.

Yeah, like us Dutch folk say "lieve koekjes worden niet elke dag gebakken". Translated for folk here "sweet cookies aren't baked every day" which means that you just can't have it all.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your input. I just finish my exam yesterday, and according to your input I think I will buy a TS 500.

Thanks again

I've never noticed the above mentioned issue with the G27.

Try driving any car along a fast straight in GT5 (250-300kmh+) and taking your hands off the wheel. Does you G27 remain completely stable or will it start oscillating back and forwards at some point forcing you to grab the wheel again?

Try driving any car along a fast straight in GT5 (250-300kmh+) and taking your hands off the wheel. Does you G27 remain completely stable or will it start oscillating back and forwards at some point forcing you to grab the wheel again?

Why would anyone take their hands off the wheel doing 300kmh ...

G219
That's my question. My other one is who tested this in real life to be able to know the differences??

Well I could take my hands off of the wheel in my car going full throttle on the German autobahn. If you guys can't maybe your car needs to be realigned. =/

Of course hitting a bump that the suspension can't take will cause the car to steer off of its path. But I've never saw a car wobble when that happened. Lol

Ah well, if you guys like to wobble be my guest.

Well I could take my hands off of the wheel in my car going full throttle on the German autobahn.

I question the veracity of that statement.

I've driven race cars & high performance street cars on tracks at speeds nearing 200 mph / 300 kph. In none of them would you want to take your hands off the wheel for more than a microsecond. Now, I must admit that I've never driven the Autobahn. Perhaps it's billiards table flat & smooth for miles on end? Maybe there are no crosswinds?

The high speed oscillation that occurs in GT5 is somewhat unrealistic. But if you're driving realistically, ie. holding on to the steering wheel and not letting it get out of control, it's a non-issue.

If I let go of the wheel while driving down the straight 180mph+ at Le Mans I would be very surprised and amused, perhaps slightly worried if my wheel did remain completely stable, because that would mean it was not working. Not sure if you have seen how bumpy that straight is but I would certaintly expect to have to hold it straight. On a smooth non bumpy road it keeps itself straight.

Working as intended.

dougdoberman
I question the veracity of that statement.

I've driven race cars & high performance street cars on tracks at speeds nearing 200 mph / 300 kph. In none of them would you want to take your hands off the wheel for more than a microsecond. Now, I must admit that I've never driven the Autobahn. Perhaps it's billiards table flat & smooth for miles on end? Maybe there are no crosswinds?

The high speed oscillation that occurs in GT5 is somewhat unrealistic. But if you're driving realistically, ie. holding on to the steering wheel and not letting it get out of control, it's a non-issue.

I took off my jacket during that time, which didn't work using just one hand. I was also driving straight up in the wind at that time slowing me down. My car just has 103bhp, so it won't do 300 kph. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but there was no wheel oscillation. Besides if I was driving realistically I would be able to keep control using just one hand at the speeds I drove.

Anyhow it only happens with Logitech wheels and not the T500 RS in such a manner. Of course you will feel the normal road pulling on the wheel without a wobble on the T500 RS.

Hi all,

I am planning to get my first steering wheel for GT5, so I read a lot of steeling wheel posts (mainly forcing on G27 and TS-500, but I am open with other good steering wheel e.g. Fanatec wheels). According to those posts, both G27 and TS-500 have their own problems. I am wondering can anyone give me some suggestion (with their reason if possible).

Thanks.

Be sure you spell the word Steering right...it's not a 'steeling wheel'.

Jerome

Hi guys

I've been reading this post and I have a couple of questions my self. I am also considering of getting me a wheel. Now I know that the discussion is G27/G25/TS500 etc., which is best and so on, but which one makes less noise? I know that the force feedback can get a bit noisy in those wheels and I need one that doesn't make much noise when turning hard into a corner and so on. Hope my question makes sense?

Something else, I also need a good seat to fit it on too. Something that maybe can be folded so it doesn't take much space?

I would like to hear from someone with experience :)
Thanks!

You guys are talking about a tiny economy car on a perfectly paved road with old loose suspension and tires that would translate to Comfort hard or simulation tires in GT5.

I had a 350hp Mitsubishi Eclipse, with just half way decent tires, not even close to racing tires, the torque steer alone could rip the wheel out of your hand. I had that car at 168mph one time, there was no way I was letting go of the wheel. BUT it also didn't oscillate like my G27. But based on driving a 12 second car with street tires, letting go of the wheel in anything with some kind of power at high speeds and actual racing slicks would put you in the wall faster than you could save it. I can see the realism in it, but you can also let off the gas and it seems to stop doing that. Which would give the same result in a real car.
The G27 jerking back in forth crap is a little excessive, but the G27 has metal helical gears, not the spur gearing of the G25. Can't blame that on plastic and sloppiness, thats GT5 programming. I only got my G27 a few days ago, but I want to try it on NFS or Grid and see how it does. I wonder if it works on grid?

And the only noise my G27 makes is the vibration of the base because I didn't bolt it down yet, its just clamped

Last edited:
I took off my jacket during that time, which didn't work using just one hand. I was also driving straight up in the wind at that time slowing me down. My car just has 103bhp, so it won't do 300 kph. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but there was no wheel oscillation. Besides if I was driving realistically I would be able to keep control using just one hand at the speeds I drove.

Anyhow it only happens with Logitech wheels and not the T500 RS in such a manner. Of course you will feel the normal road pulling on the wheel without a wobble on the T500 RS.

I'm a little unclear here.

Are you positing that the difficulty of controlling a car in GT5 doing 200mph down the Mulsanne with a Logitech controller is unrealistic because you're able to take your hands off the wheel of your underpowered car at full throttle (not top speed, it seems. Just full throttle.) for a few seconds on the Autobahn?

You're comparing apples to chimpanzees here. :)

I'll say it again. While the see-saw wobble of the Logitech controllers isn't very realistic, the physical need to constantly control the car at that speed most certainly is.

I just got my full Fanatec setup and played a little GT5 today. I dunno, maybe mine is broken. (Wouldn't be surprised, as the H-shifter came outta the box broken.) The lack of road feedback at high speeds is pretty lackluster and not very realistic. I find it to be a far more damning sort of unrealistic in that regard than the Logi gear is. While I've not driven a Veyron ay 200+ on the Mulsanne Straight, as I said I have driven other vehicles up near that speed. And I certainly couldn't cruise along with a coupla fingers on the wheel as I can with the CSR.

I just got my full Fanatec setup and played a little GT5 today. I dunno, maybe mine is broken. (Wouldn't be surprised, as the H-shifter came outta the box broken.) While I've not driven a Veyron ay 200+ on the Mulsanne Straight, as I said I have driven other vehicles up near that speed. And I certainly couldn't cruise along with a coupla fingers on the wheel as I can with the CSR.

Ignoring the tendency to oscillate, I definitely can't hold my GT2 with 2 fingers while driving anything along GT5's Mulsanne straight. The bumps in the road are well simulated, and the car is generally bucking all over the place, as is the FFB.

I have in game FFB on 5, and 50% setting in the wheel. I've been running the Mulsanne a lot recently using tuned up Ferraris for the 1-lapper seasonal and I definitely need both hands on the wheel to keep the car from smashing into the barriers after quite a few of the bumps in the road.

Back