Which Steering Wheel to buy

• Thread starter turbo928
  • 32 comments
A good wheel only does what the game tells it to do, right?

The oscillation and shaking on straigths does NOT come from the game and is not intentional. The reason for the shaking is a backlash of the sensor and the drive of the wheel.

The game sends the signal to the wheel to center the wheel. Now the problem happens if you hold the wheel steady but due to the flex of the gear or belt drive inside the wheel, the sensor (which is located at the motor) will send out a signal that he is not centered. This will causethe motors to turn in the opposite direction and it happens again and again.
Only a wheel with a sensor mounted on the steering axis or a wheel with very little flex in the system can avoid that.

Ignoring the tendency to oscillate, I definitely can't hold my GT2 with 2 fingers while driving anything along GT5's Mulsanne straight. The bumps in the road are well simulated, and the car is generally bucking all over the place, as is the FFB.

I have in game FFB on 5, and 50% setting in the wheel. I've been running the Mulsanne a lot recently using tuned up Ferraris for the 1-lapper seasonal and I definitely need both hands on the wheel to keep the car from smashing into the barriers after quite a few of the bumps in the road.

Any chance you could take some video of that and post it to Youtube or Mediafire? I'd really like to compare against my CSR, which I'm beginning more & more to think is faulty. The FFB is really underwhelming.

Any chance you could take some video of that and post it to Youtube or Mediafire? I'd really like to compare against my CSR, which I'm beginning more & more to think is faulty. The FFB is really underwhelming.

I can give it an attempt, but it'll be a few days before I have time, and I don't even have a YouTube account :)
If you take the a tuned Enzo (with customizable suspension, I leave it at default settings) and drive it flat out down the Mulsanne straight, what kinds of forces do you feel, and do they match the bumps on the road?

Back