Which type-R you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter analog
  • 60 comments
  • 5,238 views
Messages
6,804
Netherlands
The Netherlands
Just played Il2 sturmovik BoP ( arguably the only flight sim on console ) again the other day, admittingly not very good at it but keep trying to improve.
Even looked up info on some planes, just for fun, although I wasn't until recently very much
into planes, still don't know very much about them.
Unlike cars, I am into anything car related, be it history or current developments or car culture in general since as early an age I can remember.

Being a petrolhead is the reason I first got GT and since I wanted to play it I therefor had to invest in a console and having a console I soon wanted to play other games as well.
So if it wasn't for GT I might not have become slightly interested in planes or played Tourist Trophy which revealed I'm a latent biker.
GTA exposed some rather nasty sides of my personality and although I'm a gentle peaceful kinda guy IRL I have to say I'm quite getting the hang of First Person Shooters recently, etcetera, etcetera.

Since this is a GT-forum I assume most of you are both interested in GT and therefor cars, but which came first?
Do you just enjoy the experience GT brings as a gamer with only a slight interest in real life cars or not at all interested in cars in general?
Were you a gamer and car enthusiast both already when GT appeared?
Are you like me interested in cars and by chance became a ( casual ) gamer in the process?
Or do you as a hardcore car enthusiast only play GT and maybe only other driving games?
 
Last edited:
I've always been into cars since I was about 3 years old. So cars came first, then video games. But Gran Turismo taught me alot about cars, and got me into Japanese imports. If it weren't for Gran Turismo I wouldn't be as into cars as I am now.

I play Gran Turismo because IRL I'm not a hoon driver, I've never had any fines, speeding tickets or anything and I plan to keep it that way for as long as possible. If I feel the need for some hooning I play video games. GT has always been a favorite.

Off topic a bit, I am a pretty well built guy but If i feel like shooting someone or bashing someone senseless with a baseball bat I play GTA IV or COD.. something along those lines. :lol:
 
I been into video games since I first saw the original space invaders cabinet and have lived and breathed them ever since. I also like cars and driving them on racetracks but, unfortunately, I don't get to do that very often as cost is prohibitive. When GT1 came along it was like a breath of fresh air, unlike Ridge Racer (the best driving game up to then by a nautical mile) GT actually "felt" like driving a car. I've been a fan of the series ever since, eventually buying my G25 for prologue and never looking back.

I also play GTA, Tekken, Oblivion and a whole bunch of other games but I kinda steer away from FPS's cos I'm used to playing them on a PC and without mouse and keyboard I feel like I have my hands tied behind my back (TES Oblivion being the exception) I get a constant kick out of how far video games have come from when it all started, in terms of graphics and gameplay. Don't listen to anyone who tells you the gameplay was better in the 8-bit days - they're talking ****e! At best it was almost as good but with really crappy visuals. You don't believe me? Go try out Manic Miner on a speccy emulator and see how many levels you get through before you want to claw your own eyes out.
 
Cars first. Always liked looking at them, know as much as possible about them, even chose to study Mechanical Engineering since I love the things.

Only went into Gran Turismo, since I thought buying a real car for circuit and crashing it all the time would be less fun. Seeing how difficult I find to do serious driving in Gran Turismo it seems to have been a wise choice.

Actually :gtplanet:, so being here made me get more into cars again, since a group of enthusiast people always revive motivation.
 
Cars first. From the age of 3 I would stand on the back of mums sofa looking out the window watching the cars drive past and calling out their names. This was in 1972 so cars weren't as prolific then. (Or video games!) Mum keeps telling me about the time I went to one of those checkups when you are really young where they hold up things for you to identify - cup, teddy bear, ball, that sort of thing. So the nurse held up a toy car hoping i would say "car". I looked at at, scrunched my eyes into a squint, tilted my head for a better look and said "Mini Cooper S". She had to look on the bottom to check
 
Because I'm old, cars came first. Computer games didn't exist when I were a lad.

I played loads of car games when they became available, on loads of different systems. I do play other games, but 90% of my game playing is GT/GTR/car related.

I looked at at, scrunched my eyes into a squint, tilted my head for a better look and said "Mini Cooper S".
You are ASIMO and I claim my 5 pounds

 
I've liked cars since I was a little kid that made driving and honk noises. I got into GT because of the cars but back then I had no basic knowledge about cars (Didn't knew what a cylinder was!). Then I got deeper into cars and was able to understand what a "W16 DOHC Quad-Turbo engine mated to a 7-Speed DSG gearbox with AWD system" meant. Now, I bought a G27 and a PS3 Slim just for the sake of enjoying those past days of GT but with modern capabilities of both the PlayStation and me ;).
 
When i just learned to speak, one of the first things i learned is all the car emblems and their "style" could tell a honda from a mazda from a PONY!

Instead of ac tion figures i got 1\18th die cast models.

10th bday i worked hard and got a PS1! but NO GAME! foolish fool.

so skip ahead a few months and i bought GT1 and thats it thats when it degenerated into this passive obssesion.
 
Tamiya radio controlled cars

Computer games (Amstrad CPC 464 onwards)

Motorbikes

Cars
 
Cars first games not too long after though there weren't that many decent games on the commodore amiga xD.
 
I am into Motorcycles and cars. I don't have a car licence but do have a motorcycle licences and a 1000cc sportsbike.
 
Cars first games not too long after though there weren't that many decent games on the commodore amiga xD.

There was the classic Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge with it's Outrun-style fake 3d (it was actually a vertical scroller but looked the part) Also supercars for top down awesomeness and the original test drive for loop-the-loop shenanigans. Man - they don't make them like they used to.






... thankfully :sly:
 
There was a Test Drive game with track editor on the Amiga if i recall correctly back in the late eighties or early nineties.

It's not all progress it seems......
 
I challenge you guys to beat this "Motor-related childhood anecdote": My first word was "Bus" :lol:.

Really, I'm not making this up. BUS, not "Mom" or "Dad"...Bus...
 
I can't beat that bastard.
 
I challenge you guys to beat this "Motor-related childhood anecdote": My first word was "Bus" :lol:.

Really, I'm not making this up. BUS, not "Mom" or "Dad"...Bus...

That's quite extreme :lol:, although i seemed to be able to recognise oncoming traffic by brand from about 300 meters distance sitting on the backseat at the age of 2.
My uncles ( who witnessed it in amazement ) kept going on about that fact ( which i probably couldn't even replicate now ) for years.
 
You are ASIMO and I claim my 5 pounds



I wonder if ASIMO can drive a Honda? :lol: Probably not. But imagine ASIMO in a NSX? Instant YouTube hit.
 
I wonder if ASIMO can drive a Honda? :lol: Probably not. But imagine ASIMO in a NSX? Instant YouTube hit.

ASIMO is a Honda, the NSX is probably next of kin, not a nice picture.;)
 
I am a hardcore gamer and PC gaming elitetist. I also love cars. I also had, and still a few 1/18 car models.
 
That's quite extreme :lol:, although i seemed to be able to recognise oncoming traffic by brand from about 300 meters distance sitting on the backseat at the age of 2.
My uncles ( who witnessed it in amazement ) kept going on about that fact ( which i probably couldn't even replicate now ) for years.

My friends, amazed by my car-freakness in a good way (for the first time...) everytime we're walking on a street are like "Ok, tell us the name of those oncoming five cars" and end up like "🤬🤬🤬!!! How you do that???" I guess it's a talent shared by all of us petrolheads :lol:.

Further signs of my car-freakness:

*When I went to Europe a couple of years ago my hand luggage bag was stuffed with 1:18 die-cast cars. I also have the entry tickets/assorted garbage of: Galleria Ferrari @ Maranello, the "Old" Porsche Museum @ Stuttgart (Bought a calendar here), the Mercedes Benz Museum @ Stuttgart, the Lamborghini Factory @ Sant 'Agata Bolognese (Bought a 1:18 Murcielago, some badges and a mouse pad here), Peugeot Avenue @ Paris (Bought a 908 HDI Die-Cast here), the VW Phaeton assembly plant @ Dresden (Drove one of the most bad-🤬 simulators here), the Audi Museum & Showroom @ Ingolstadt (Where they let me inside an R8 and I bought an R10 TDI Die-Cast:D) and the then-new BMW Museum @ München.

*There are 9 posters in my bedroom, one of them is of Nirvana and the other 8 are cars. Also, there's a Viper general information spreadsheet on my closet door...

*My mousepad was brought from Sant 'Agata Bolognese, features a Lamborghini Gallardo Police Car.

*There's a playlist on my iPod called "4-Wheeled Heaven" featuring songs by the like of: "Highway Star", "Red Barchetta", "I'm in love with my car", and "Turbo Lover".

*At the age of 14 I tried taking a "By-mail" course of Automotive Mechanics but had to withdraw due to school... *sigh*. Still, enough leasons to learn the basics :lol:.
 
Last edited:
I loved cars long before video games. In fact, the first word I ever said was "car", at age two. I first heard of Gran Turismo when my friend showed me PD's website in 2007. I got a PS3 in 2009, and now, I wait for GT5.
 
Oh my God, CarBastard............

Okay, i'm not going to, and frankly don't wish to top that, there is a fine line between being sad and being tragic, and you have definitely crossed the line way too far....:lol:

I do admire your determination and outright enthusiasm however.:D


( Although having said that, i don't know your age, i might have gone through a somewhat similar phase long ago, but luckily there is a cure. )
 
Last edited:
I challenge you guys to beat this "Motor-related childhood anecdote": My first word was "Bus" :lol:.

Really, I'm not making this up. BUS, not "Mom" or "Dad"...Bus...

I think my first words were NISMO twin turbo. LOL!

But seriously, as long as I can remember I wanted to learn to drive. Passed my test 3 weeks after my 17th birthday. Then I went on to do my bike test at 21 years old, and now I drive trucks for a living. Damn, I love driving.

I think the Turismo series has played a big part in my love of driving, as has the early TOCA series on PS1. It seems every game I play now is a driving game. I'm just not interested in playing owt else.
 
I challenge you guys to beat this "Motor-related childhood anecdote": My first word was "Bus" :lol:.

Really, I'm not making this up. BUS, not "Mom" or "Dad"...Bus...

That's unbelievable. I'm not sure if this beats that, but...when I was three, I found my parents rental car in a crowded parking lot. And I was able to tell apart different brands. Or so I'm told.

Since I loved cars as much as I did, I was drawn to playing racing videogames. My brothers were much older than I and they had a Saturn and a PlayStation. So when I was four I'd spend a lot of time playing Daytona USA, Sega Rally, and Ridge Racer. We got Gran Turismo right when it released, and it was so much more difficult and realistic than anything I had ever played before. It was too hardcore for me :lol: But it taught me practically everything I know about cars, and as I improved I became hooked on the series for life.
 
Oh my God, CarBastard............

Okay, i'm not going to, and frankly don't wish to top that, there is a fine line between being sad and being tragic, and you have definitely crossed the line way too far....:lol:

I do admire your determination and outright enthusiasm however.:D


( Although having said that, i don't know your age, i might have gone through a somewhat similar phase long ago, but luckily there is a cure. )

So is it good or bad being young in this case? I'm still thinking in saying if I'm 17 or 70 :lol:.
 
In the beginning, there were bicycles, and they remain a major part of my life. Before GT, biking was my only concern. My primary exposure to cars was NASCAR and games like Rally Cross, Need for Speed and Ridge Racer. Cars were cool, but I didn't deeply understand them, couldn't drive them and therefore wasn't very interested in them.

Then GT came out (me = 13 yrs old) and I became a hardcore car-guy from then on. My dad was relieved, the end.
 
Carguy -

I was born with a wrench in one hand and a screwdriver in the other. :lol:
 
Cars, it's always been about cars, paticularly road cars which is why GT appeals so much.
 
Back