Which type-R you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter analog
  • 60 comments
  • 5,238 views
Cars first. Always liked looking at them, know as much as possible about them, even chose to study Mechanical Engineering since I love the things.

Only went into Gran Turismo, since I thought buying a real car for circuit and crashing it all the time would be less fun. Seeing how difficult I find to do serious driving in Gran Turismo it seems to have been a wise choice.

Actually :gtplanet:, so being here made me get more into cars again, since a group of enthusiast people always revive motivation.

👍 Vince, i feel the same way as you...
For me, i am a Aerospace/Mechanical Engineer.

By the age of 3 or 4 :dopey:, i already knew most of all the cars in the streets, i could name them all... i had those Majorettes and hot Wheels, and i still do have them! along with over 25 1/18 scales models, GT was only a natural progression because so many of us are into cars!

I still wished i had becomed an aircraft Pilot / car Driver .... for now i am stuck at fixing my own car... :ouch: :p
 
games before cars, but cars before car games.
 
Cars was definitely first for me.

When I was younger I would look out the car window on long journeys and identify all the cars we passed. I could tell a volvo from a mile away (dad had a 245GLE stationwagon at the time). I would also memorise the numberplates of every car our family had (even to this day I can remember them).

Nowadays I have a 40+ collection of 1/18th car models, and pictures of cars and other motorsport memorabilia in my room. As well has a book shelf full of car magazines. Including all 6 issues of the 6monthly Lamborghini Magazine.

Combine this with my racing cockpit and G25, with a tri-monitor setup for rfactor and it's plain as day I'm a massive petrol head.
 
I loved cars long before video games. In fact, the first word I ever said was "car", at age two. I first heard of Gran Turismo when my friend showed me PD's website in 2007. I got a PS3 in 2009, and now, I wait for GT5.

@Carbastard- I guess you missed my earlier post.
 
I am a hardcore gamer and PC gaming elitetist. I also love cars. I also had, and still a few 1/18 car models.


Just noticed this, nice excuse to post this

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg



I lean towards PC's too, ifact if it wasn't for Gran Turismo I wouldn't bother with a console, I would just get GTA on PC.
 
Do you just enjoy the experience GT brings as a gamer with only a slight interest in real life cars or not at all interested in cars in general?
Were you a gamer and car enthusiast both already when GT appeared?
Are you like me interested in cars and by chance became a ( casual ) gamer in the process?
Or do you as a hardcore car enthusiast only play GT and maybe only other driving games?

I was a car enthusiast long before i even knew what GT was. Always loved cars, driving and speed .. i couldnt wait to be old enough for my drivers licence. Even failed my first attempt because of speeding, doing 85km/h in a 50km/h zone, going through some nice cornes and just started speeding up ... who would have thought? :D
At the end my driving instructor just looked at me and said " ... next time we leave that for after the test" :rolleyes:
 
So is it good or bad being young in this case? I'm still thinking in saying if I'm 17 or 70 :lol:.

It would be acceptable if you were quite young or really, really old. :lol:
 
When I was two I would sit on my rug (you know the ones with the roads printed on them?) and play with my cars.

Got a great video at home of me telling mum off for "doing it wrong" when she tried to join in 👍
 
Jay
Just noticed this, nice excuse to post this

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg



I lean towards PC's too, ifact if it wasn't for Gran Turismo I wouldn't bother with a console, I would just get GTA on PC.

That awesome. Im the same way. GT5 and Metal Gear are the biggest reasons I got a PS3. If the dlc for gta 4 were not exclusive to the xbox for as long as they were I would have bought it on the pc. Although I probably still will get it eventually.
 
I loved cars long before video games. In fact, the first word I ever said was "car", at age two. I first heard of Gran Turismo when my friend showed me PD's website in 2007. I got a PS3 in 2009, and now, I wait for GT5.

Hmmmmmm are you sure. You might have been trying to say"carry me".

I said"dada".
 
There was the classic Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge with it's Outrun-style fake 3d (it was actually a vertical scroller but looked the part) Also supercars for top down awesomeness and the original test drive for loop-the-loop shenanigans. Man - they don't make them like they used to.






... thankfully :sly:

xD The Indy500 game is the one I remember. And RoadRash of course. ;]
 
A motorbike racing game with clubs and chains...
 
Cars
racing games
Basically the only other games I play are rock band and GH anymore, I get tired of shooting or stabbing people over and over, but not driving or playing music. :)
 
In fact, the first word I ever said was "car", at age two.
Holy crap same here! And around the same age too! Well, I was off by a few months.
 
I could name the cars on the road when I was four according to my mom too, though back then, there wasn't quite the variety we have now.

However, I became an avid original gamer when the systems came out. Shooters, sports games, RPGs, though racing games were just one of the lesser flavors until Sega Rally came out, one of the few games which had some of the flavor of actual racing. Then I discovered Gran Turismo in 1998 and that was it. I still love gaming in general, and though I'm not quite a bona fide petrolhead, I owe my appreciation of cars and motorsports to Kazunori Yamauchi and GT. To this day, no racing sim satisfies me as much as Gran Turismo, because the world they offer is so cramped and small.
 
I'm waiting for GT5 to catch up with IRL cars.
 
I was born in 1990 when there was a few less cars on the road and by the time I was 5 I could list at least 90% of every car I see by make model and year. In grade 1 my teacher got the class to draw a simple garden scene with a fence, flowers, grass and a butterfly, I did this but with a pajero in the middle of it haha.
 
when i started playing GT1 i was 11 so not much of a car enthusiast i liked them but didn't know much about them and GT played a major role i started to look at cars like something to enjoy to have fun with so i became a car enthusiast and love them in real life even more than in the game also i do not use term playing anymore i say driving
i also like motorbike very much actually one of the main reason why is that they offer more fun for the buck, so 3 years ago when a got my license i bought a bike cuz cars i like are just to much for full time student lik me
 
Woops, I misread the post, I thought he meant which Type-R are you? LOL. If that was the case its the 2001 Acura Integra Type-R in black only because I owned one for a year until it was stolen (damn you whoever you were). Carry on. :)
 
GT really fueled my love for cars. I was only a wee lad when I first played GT... around my uncles place. He then gave me his PS1 and GT2, for a reason I can't remember. Anyway, I've thanked him ever since.

My love for GT and cars have gone hand in hand really. Neither one or the other came first.

Oh, and I'm a Civic Type-R... :)
 
Really like the variety of different "routes" so far, it seems partly generational and therefor logical there's a difference.
But some of the "oldtimers" ( which i probably am myself, considering the average ages ) were long time gamers before GT.
I did previously enjoyed playing some PC, MSX and Amiga games long before GT arrived but never considered myself a gamer, since there was a large hiatus between playing those arcade games and buying my first own console because of GT.
I now play several games, with a preference for SIM-like games ( i consider FPS's also to be those ) but the most enjoyment i still get from driving games.
 
When I was about 2 my parent's had the family over for dinner, before dinner was ready, most of us were sitting in the living room, while my dad, sister, grandpa and uncle were talking about football (20 years later, nothing changes). I think I was playing with some sort of toy. The tv was on in the background but no one was paying attention to it. My dad flicked through the channels to see if there was anything on for me to watch. Formula one was on. I can't remember what race, but it was on, and my dad noticed how I stopped what I was doing and was fixated with the tv. And that's how it all started. It took a few years before I followed f1 properly, but at that point, I just loved the cars. I used to watch it all the time, but my earliest proper memory of F1 is from when I was 4.

Needless to say, I was hooked. I've always been a lot more interested in race cars than road cars though. When I was 5, we got an Amiga 1200, and my dad got a bunch of games for it... First game I ever played was road rash. Then there was street fighter 2. Those were the only two games I played until I caught my Dad playing a racing game a few months later. It was Geoff Crammond's grand prix (published by microprose). He was racing at Mexico.(I remember). Funny that my dad first got me interested in F1, then got me interested in computer games via an F1 game. He's not really interested in either of them, but then, I hate football.

Each to their own.

Edit:

By the way, If you can find a copy of Grand prix 2 or 3 (by microprose), I highly reccomend buying it. Still think they are by far the best f1 games (although I might just be nostalgic as I haven't played them for years).
 
Edit:

By the way, If you can find a copy of Grand prix 2 or 3 (by microprose), I highly reccomend buying it. Still think they are by far the best f1 games (although I might just be nostalgic as I haven't played them for years).

Ahh good ol Grand Prix 2.

I remember seeing that game at on of my dad's business partners house when i was quite young.

I got the game later on and played it alot, with a keyboard, all the aids on, and running around the circuit backward and crashing into cars.

Nothings changed (except now im more serious about my racing, and dont use aids!)
 
Ahh good ol Grand Prix 2.

I remember seeing that game at on of my dad's business partners house when i was quite young.

I got the game later on and played it alot, with a keyboard, all the aids on, and running around the circuit backward and crashing into cars.

Nothings changed (except now im more serious about my racing, and dont use aids!)

That sounds a lot like me when I first got it. But as I got older and more serious about racing, I started turning driving aids off (apart from automatic gears... Took me until I was 10 before I could get my head around manual gears) and stopped crashing into things.

Eventually my dad got us a pc and a decent steering wheel (probably the cheapest and easiest way for a parent to get around the "can you buy me a go kart?" question. My dad used to work quite a lot and liked to spend his weekends watching football, so my racing career never really got past the odd track day. There was also the fact that my mum was in a huge car accident when I was 7. And we lived out in the countryside at that time. I suppose getting caught driving my parent's car to the nearest town didn't help either... Just happened to be the one day that my dad came home from work early and caught me pulling into the driveway... I didn't drive irresponsibly or anything (apart from the whole, no licence, no insurance issue). When I eventually started my driving lessons, my instructor told me I was a natural, and I had my driving test after 3 lessons (the average here being about 23).

I left school at sixteen and got a job in an attempt to start racing, but it was just too expensive. Life can be cruel eh?
 
for me Cars came first. When I was little it was a poster of a Lamborghini Countache on my wall. and games like Top Gear and Mario Kart. Then when i got my PSX i ended up getting a copy (when it came out) of GT1. I LOVED IT. then GT2 came out and i just about creamed my pants. around that time i got into all sorts of racing games and cars of all sorts. and from there ive owned every installment of GT at some point, MOST installments of need for speed, hell i even like ferrari Challenge even though its rather hard in my opinion. and when GT5 comes out ill be the first in line at Gamestop to pick up my fully paid off reserved copy. woot!

EDIT: someday i will be a NA2 NSX GTR Type R
 
Last edited:
Cars have been my passion since I learned to talk, and it has always been american muscle cars and hot rods that I've liked the most. Got it from my father.

Also, I think drag racing has been my favorite sport since I saw Bob Glidden's crash on tape when I was 2-3 years old (I watched that tape so many times that even my mother who has no intrest in cars at all, still remember Bob's wife is named Etta)...



Later I got intrested in NASCAR as well.
 
When I first played GT1 back in 98 I was already a petrolhead. You see, I was born near a racetrack as my parents lived in a house no more than twenty feet away from a it, so my childhood was all based around motorsports. At the age of 4 I could already tell what brand and model a car was, among other things.
GT just grabbed that spirit in me and took it even further and nowadays I'm a really big petrolhead.
Thanks to GT games I discovered an amazing world and something tells me I'll never stop loving it.
 
Back