Who Are Your Favorite Guitarists?Music 

• Thread starter emad
  • 354 comments
eMadman
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you folks at GTP for introducing me to rock. A year ago, when I joined, I wouldn't have dreamt of listening to metal or rock and now rock is pretty much all I listen to đź‘Ť.

(edit: holy farkin crap, I didn't realize how long it came out to in the end - i hope i didn't ramble on too much)

I still think rap, trance, and jazz are cool but there's something about a great guitar solo that's really moving. The guitar is able to put portray (is that the right word?) sounds and emotions that no hip hop beats or trance songs will ever match. Hell, very few the great jazz musicians have been able to do with their style of music that guitarists have been able to do.

The guitar, in the right hands, can be used to create sounds and music to portray just about every human emotion. It's just amazing what these people can do with their instruments.

Let's start with the one we all know about. Jimi Hendrix.

What can I say? The guy was legendary. His music was amazing for it's time but I don't really see how people can still call him the greatest ever. No doubt, influenced much of todays music and also created new styles and techniques but he didn't do much that was truly spectacular but he did have a lot of good music nonetheless. It's sad that he died as early as he did. He had a lot of potential to become even better. Even though it's long, I strongly reccomend that you people listen to him playing the Star Spangled Banner at some live venue (unfortunately, I don't know where or when it was done). It's easily the best display of his skill that I've heard. I don't really have favourites of his but if I had to pick, it would probably be Voodoo Chile

Carlos Santana's Europa for example is just soft and slow. Enough so that in the right circumstances, it can bring a tear to your eye or make you the happiest guy alive (that is, if there's someone you care about in the same room). Well, actually, the first 4 or 5 minutes are soft and slow and then the song gets really fast and sounds...happy (is that possible?). I guess there was a good reason the secondary name to the song is Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile. Try to analyze this song further and you realize that not only is Santana showing great emotion by making the guitar sing and cry the way he does but just listen to it. The skill and technique - the fact that every note rings clear (even in live versions of the song) and he never misses a beat through the entire 7 minutes of the song is just incredible. Despite his age, he still doesn't miss a beat and his music is still just as good whether you are listening to his 1970 album Abraxas or his latest one Shaman. Truly one of the best guitarists around.

Favourite songs include:
Europa because of the reasons I mentioned
Victory is One - Simply put, it's just a beautiful song
"Novus" and "Put Your Lights On" are also just incredible

As most of you probably know, my favourite guitarist of all time is Joe Satriani. He's one of the fastest guitarists around but he's not sloppy with it like many others out there. Again, every note rings bright and clear no matter how fast he is. He sounds as good in his live albums as he does in his studio recordings. The man doesn't just play guitar. To top this, he hasn't even reached his full potential. He only started off in the 1980's and every album since then has improved upon the last. Just listen and you'll see how much better this guy has gotten in a mere 20 or so years (1st album in 1986 but he was playing for a lot longer). Not only that but satriani was also responsible for teaching Steve Vai, Metallica's Kirk Hammett, Counting Crows' David Bryson and jazz artist Charlie Hunter. In addition to this, Satriani is also responsible for starting the G3 concerts. For those of you that don't know G3, it's a yearly (I think) tour with Satriani, Steve Vai, and one other absurdly good guitarist. There have been several people playing the third guitarist but they've all been flipping amazing. It's usually 45 minutes to an hour of each of the three playing individually with their own bands followed by 45 minutes to an hour in the end where the three get together and do improv and just try and recreate classic songs together

I have no favourite songs when it comes to Satriani...but if I have to make a choice, it would be Crystal Planet because it's just an amazing song all around. It shows raw emotion and incredible skill

"Mind Storm" because it's the best display of his talent and speed and potential yet. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same emotion as Crystal planet

"Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" is a close third because I just really like the song for some odd reason

"chords of life" because it's the only song I've heard that has managed to catch me off guard and bring a tear to my eye.

Souls of Distortion because it's even more powerful than Chords of Life

There are SEVERAL other guitarists I like but Satriani and Santana are my two all time favourite musicians...I also don't know too much about the histories of all the other great ones I listen to since I only started obsessing over rock a few months ago.

Van Halen - no particular picks - I really like Baluchitherien though. His role in Michael Jackson's Thriller was also amazing

Kirk Hammet - What can I say? I love Metallica. Favourite songs: Enter Sandman (just an awesome song). Master of Puppets is also an amazing song

Tom Morello (From Rage Against The Machine) (thanks Race Idiot) - Really talented guitarist, always experimenting with different techniques and always makes great music. Favourite song would be Killing In The Name Of

Michael Romeo (from Symphony X) - He's fast, has amazing technique and rarely skips a beat. To top that, he manages to blend his guitar work perfectly with the classical music scores that Symphony X is so famous for using in their music. He sounds like a part of the orchestra in the background. The final effect is amazing. Add in that many of Symphony X's songs go anywhere from 5 minutes to 24 minutes and well.... it's just more to enjoy (:

Steve Vai - I have only a little bit of his music in my playlist at the moment but he's also really really really good. He's no Satriani but still has great music

Yngwie Malmsteen - Kickass guitarist, and one of the fastest out of the 80's (at least as far as I know). He also heavily influenced Michael Romeo from Symphony X and I'm not positive but I think Malmsteen had a major influence on a lot of today's power metal and prog metal (think Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Symphony X). Favourite song: Blitzkreig (sp?)

Damn...I have a lot more I'd like to mention but I just haven't heard enough of their music yet to be able to give a real opinion on them.
Props to all the great ones out there đź‘Ť

Who are your favourites and why? Any comments you'd like to make about guitar instrumentals in general?

My single favorite guitar song is Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Hendrix's Little Wing. He never got around to recording the vocal track, but it's better that way. Immensely powerful, immense mood shifts, immense feeling played out on a beat-up and heavily customized old Stratocaster. Amazing.

SRV is pretty much my favorite guitarist, ever. He was very communicative and incredibly sensitive to the right mood of the song, not to mention being technically amazing in anything from straight jazz to Texas blues to rock'n'roll. He could put more feeling in 4 bars of music than some people can squeeze out of a whole song.

I don't really have the energy to right a paragraph about each one, but here are some of my other favorites, and a few Cliff Notes about why:

Frank Zappa (Mothers of Invention): An incredibly intelligent clown. The musical equivalent of Mel Brooks - able to mix scathing social commentary right in there with fart jokes, and somehow have it all still be funny. Zappa is an incredible guitarist technically, playing solos nobody else could even begin to figure out until Steve Vai came along. Zappa also had an incredible talent for butting together incredible bands.

Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction): The acoustic intro to Ocean Size, and the solo from Been Caught Stealing say it all. Too bad he never did anything that good again.

Adrian Belew / Robert Fripp (King Crimson): these guys are good individually. Belew, the Twang Bar King, has a fast loose style and amazing control over feedback. Fripp walks on stage, sits down on a stool, and doesn't move a muscle except for his hands for an hour. But those hands play impossible melodies, sometimes at impossible speeds. Put the two of these guys together and it's like fire and ice - magic.

Daniel Ash (Bauhaus; Love & Rockets): started life as a semi-goth-semi-punk, full of distortion and noise, but good at it. Later rock stuff is good too, if slightly less toxic, but always interesting. But where he really really shines is playing acoustic/electric. It sounds crystalline, like diamonds glittering on black velvet. Very very clean and very very pure finger picking.

Rick Miller (Southern Culture On The Skids): nobody's ever heard of this guy, but he's the hottest hillbilly surf punk hotrod guitar picker currently recording. If the Ventures had been born in South Carolina, dropped out of high school to work on cars, liked to get lit up on Saturday night, and couldn't sit still for 30 seconds, they'd sound something like Rick Miller.

I've tried to stay away from some of the more well-known players. I hate Clapton; Eddie Van Halen is a wizard but has absoultely no feeling; I can never trust which of Kirk Hammett's stuff is real and which is spliced; I like a number of speed demons like Yngwie, but their stuff never seems to hold my interest. If I think of more I'll add them in.

Aaah, I forgot about SRV :) - I got his stuff based on one of your reccomendations I think
anyhoo, i'm off to bed

Man, Joe Satriani is amazing. I think I've listened to The Souls of Distortion over 10 times in a row now. Very powerful song like emad said. I never thought a song could be that poweful and emotion filled. And as emad said, its a tear jerker too. It brings back some memories.

Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd): The end solo of Comfortably Numb gets me everytime, and the extended live versions are even better. Of course, it's not just Comfortably Numb that makes me go all tingly inside. He's a great guitartist in my opinion. đź‘Ť

My favourite guitarist that anyone here would've heard of would be Kerry King from Slayer. I think the most talented guitarist of their era would be Jimi Hendrix. Eddie Van Halen is an awesome guitarist. I'll make a top ten list:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Eric Clapton
4. B.B King
5. Carlos Santana
6. Jimmy Page
7. Kerry King (many people won't agree on this, but if you've even heard him in recordings where the other Slayer members recorded things of him messing around on the guitar, you'd actually agree...and also listen to his damn music, he's the best Metal guitarist around imo)
8. Stevie Ray Vaughn
9. Jeff Beck
10. Joe Satriani

That's MY opinion, and if you don't agree with it, I respect that.

First on my list is Edward Van Halen. Without a doubt the greatest guitarist/musician of our time. I don't agree with the idea thay Ed lacks feel. I do admit he often writes stuff geared more towards having fun, then sharing a touching moment. But, with songs like "Secrets", and "316" "Little Guitars" and "Little Guitars Intro" you can't legitimately state he lacks feel completely. Plus, the guitar solos to "Panama" and "The Cradle Will Rock" have very touching, soulful parts to them, with tons of feel.

Second on my list is Joe Satriani. Although, I don't much like his latest work, but it still shows his amazing abilities. With soulful pieces like "Rubina" and "Always With Me, Always With You" to firery pieces like "Up In The Sky," "The Bells Of Lal part 2" and "Crystal Planet." He definetly has my jaw dropping.

But, no guitar admirer could be complete without a little soulful blues-based boogie. For me, it's Billy Gibbons. No other soulful player can touch his playing, in my opinon. Not only does he gear his guitar sound to emotion, but it's his notes as well. Incrediable player. Listen to "Rough Boy," "Tush," "La Grange" and "My Mind Is Gone" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Other players that have been mentioned are also my favorite players, but the three above are the ones that really do it for me. But, some guitarist just have a certain song that nobody should miss out on. They are the following...

Steve Vai - "For The Love Of God" and "Blue Powder"

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - "Sorrow" and "Comfortably Numb"

Chuck Berry "Love For Sale"

Robert Johnson "Love In Vain"

Jimi Hendrix "Red House" and "Voodoo Chile"

Too much to list...

Firstly, I listen to a lot more (and play) classical guitar/jazz than rock. That's not to say that I prefer classical guitar over rock, just that I haven't ever given rock a chance really. So thanks for leading me in the right direction with some of your favourite electric/rock guitarists and favourite albums/songs.

My most recent concert that I attented was a Martin Taylor gig in Glasgow. The guy was amazing on guitar:

"There is a touch of genius in Martin Taylor's playing." - CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE​

At the concert it was just him and his guitar. 100% solo. And the quality of his playing was superb. They also had good beer on tap which is always welcome. :)

I also love some of Pat Metheny's stuff too who incidentally described Martin Taylor as "absolutely inspriring and amazing." High praise indeed.

There is also another guy who is pretty good: Gerald Garcia. The album I have is called Etudes Esquisses/Celtic Airs. It was an American guitarist though who played his compositions, called John Holmquist. This was the album that got me started on classical guitar.

I'm away to get some rock!

Oh, I love B.B. King and Eric Clapton too. Anyone heard tracks from the Midnight Believer album by B.B. King? They are fantastic!

Jimmy Enslashay
My favourite guitarist that anyone here would've heard of would be Kerry King from Slayer. I think the most talented guitarist of their era would be Jimi Hendrix. Eddie Van Halen is an awesome guitarist. I'll make a top ten list:

6. Jimmy Page
Isn't Jimmy a pretty sloppy player? Or so they say anyway. I haven't really payed much attention to Zeppelin...

If he's sloppy, he covers well. But I don't think he is. Jimmy Page is a legend in the guitar world, and I think he deserves Top Ten status.

Jimmy Enslashay
If he's sloppy, he covers well. But I don't think he is. Jimmy Page is a legend in the guitar world, and I think he deserves Top Ten status.

Page is an awesome guitarist. Yes, he is a sloppy guitarist sometimes but that what gives to the whole Led Zeppelin feel when ever your listening to them live, and to be honest with you, if I listen to a Zeppelin song off the album, then go listen to a live version of it, the live version is always many times better atleast in my opinion. Favourite song - Black Dog, live at MSG

Hendrix is also an awesome guitarist, but he also used very ****ty equipment, and his songs were usually heavily distorted, and whenever you use distortion, distortion makes you sound better and hides all of your mistakes. So we will never know how good of a guitarist Hendrix ever was, but he is still a legendary guitarist, and without Jimi Hendrix, music today would have been very very different. Favourite song - Red House Live at Woodstock, Little Wing

I never started listening to Steve Vai until a couple of months ago when some of my friends introduced him to me. And he is such an awesome guitarist. To me, I think he is one of the greatest guitarists out there. Some people might argue that Satriani or Malmsteen is better, but they are all Gods in their own way. Vai may be able to do something that the other two can't do, and vice versa. Favourite Song - The Attitude Song, Blue Powder, Bangkok

Ritchie Blackmoore. He is wicked fast, just listen to Highway Star Live in Tokyo. And he isn't doing tapping or any other techniques that the guys in Metallica, Steve Vai, or Satriani does, he is actually picking that fast. Malmsteen was heavily influenced by Blackmoore, and you can tell this by listening to Blackmoore's solos and then listenining to Malmsteen's. I am looking forward to seeing Deep Purple this summer, but unfortunatly Blackmoore will not be there, because apparently he is a monk now. Favourite Song - Highway Star, Burn

Have any of you ever heard of Michael Angelo Batio? A friend of mine just told me about him the other day, and this guy is amazing. If you like Satrani and Vai I'd highly suggest checking this guy out. Watch the video on the site, too.

www.angelo.com

Ryan
Have any of you ever heard of Michael Angelo Batio? A friend of mine just told me about him the other day, and this guy is amazing. If you like Satrani and Vai I'd highly suggest checking this guy out. Watch the video on the site, too.

www.angelo.com

Michael Angelo is awesome. He plays this guitar its got like 4 necks let me see if i can find a picture of it

Edit - found it
batio2.jpg

Quad_guitar.jpg

Steve Vai is a great guitarist. I almost put him AND Yngwie in my list, but I just couldn't take anyone off. They would be 11 and 12.

Shannon
Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd): The end solo of Comfortably Numb gets me everytime, and the extended live versions are even better. Of course, it's not just Comfortably Numb that makes me go all tingly inside. He's a great guitartist in my opinion. đź‘Ť

Yeah,or the solo's from parts of another brick in the wall ot Wish you were here.

Hey, Pink: I understand you're new here, but please cut the blank space out of your signature. We have a 6-line maximum, including blanks. Thank you.

I have to agree with Jimmy Enslashay, with Kerry King as the best guitarist ever, but hes not the only one, you can't forget about Mick Thomson (7) of Slipknot

Mick:
mick_lg.jpg

gtavcfan
I have to agree with Jimmy Enslashay, with Kerry King as the best guitarist ever, but hes not the only one, you can't forget about Mick Thomson (7) of Slipknot

Mick:
mick_lg.jpg

Mick Thomson isnt really that great. I just listened to one of his solos and he uses alot of distortion, and although he is semi fast, hes not very fast. He can't even be remotley compared to Satriani, Vai or Malmsteen.

I agree with Shopping, I think he is overrated...but I still believe he is good. Slipknot would be a good Metal band with a better singer (less soft singing, more hardcore vocals)...I do believe, however, that their drummer Joey Jordison is very UNDERrated. He is an excellent drummer, and I think it should be noticed.

Ryan

www.angelo.com

Yeah, i made a thread a while ago in here about getting to see him in a clinic. It was very cool, and it made me have more respect to what I still think are senseless solos from many guitar slingers. The ones where it all just ends up sounding like a rooster in the end.

There are so many great guitar players, but in my youth the most plain and simple kick ass rock solos almost without exception came from Slash. For instance featuring in Lenny's Mama Said, or Blackstreet's No Diggity. Awesome. Satriani has some nice work, but they're too clean and predictable for me - in that genre I prefer Mark Knopfler. I remember hearing some early Slayer work (at least I think it was Slayer) on the radio when I was 14, particularly a solo that had a nice and fast version of fur elise mixed into it (can anyone confirm this was slayer), and in that genre Ingwy Malmsteen was indeed very, very impressive, though the use of classical music on an electric guitar already came across a bit gimmicky then I must say. A bit like Muse pulls it off now, though I like listening to them regardless - they do it very well.

There are some really awesome Jazz Guitarists out there, but I listened to them a while ago and their names slipped - I'll figure it out at home. Most notably one that plays a lot of beautiful acoustic versions of Jazz classics, really wonderful guitar playing. I think Hendrix was great too, very expressive. Steve Ray Vaughn I also love.

But in spirit of the original question, I'm going to stick with Slash. Richy Sambora ain't half bad either, btw, for instance in Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive. But Slash is the solo king, at least for me (at least during the 90s ;) ) ...

Ugh. Too many to list. I'd end up compiling yet another Top 100 guitar solos list that no one will read.

In no order whatsoever,

Alex "I beat up cops" Lifeson, La Villa Strangiato
Eric Johnson, Cliffs of Dover ; SRV
Steve Morse, Tsunami Notes
Steve Vai, For the Love of God
Joe Satriani, The Forgotten, Part II ; Rubina ; Raspberry Jam Delta V
Eddie VanHalen, Hot for Teacher ; Eruption
Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche), Jet City Woman ; Eyes of a Stranger
Jimmy Page, Stairway to Heaven
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Riviera Paradise
Kirk Hammet (Metallica), Master of Puppets
Buddy Guy, Song for Stevie
Albert Collins, Mr. Collins, Mr. Collins

Plenty more... this is just off the top of my head. A lot of my favorite guitar solos are not even of the blues/rock/metal variety.

M

Just wanted to add.....in no kind of order....

Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
David Gilmour
Joe Satriani
Jeff Healey
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughn

But as for favourite solo's...well not including any from the afore mentioned guitarists (of which there are plenty of choices) I'd say..
Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers (Ernie Isley)
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (Rossington-Collins)
Cloudburst Flight - Tangerine Dream (Edgar Froese)
Moonage Daydream - David Bowie (Mick Ronson)
Crying to the Sky - Be Bop Deluxe (Bill Nelson)
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band (Dickey Betts)

And there are many others I've not included like Gary Moore, Walter Trout, Pat Travers.....etc :)

My favorites are:

Pink Floyd´s David Gilmour
Angra´s Kiko Loureiro
Guns ´n ´Roses´s Slash
and Joe Satriani.

Here is a list of the Greatest guitar players of all time (put together by "Guitar magazine"):

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jeff Beck
3. B.B. King
4. Jimmy Page
5. Allan Holdsworth
6. Eddie Van Halen
7. Pat Metheny
8. Eric Clapton
9. Chuck Berry
10. T-Bone Walker
11. Stevie Ray Vaughan
12. Keith Richards