Who Are Your Favorite Guitarists?Music 

• Thread starter emad
  • 354 comments
Well I searched the first 4 pages and the only topic similar was Top 5 Guitarists. I wanted this topic to be more of a discussion, not just list the guitarists' names. and also maybe people could post links to some songs by their favorites so we could listen to them...

But I would understand if this topic was closed.... So moderators: if you have to, you can lock this/delete this thread...

Pete Townshend-
First guy to smash his guitar, that makes him one of the best. :P
Other than that, I just love the Who.

Van Halen-
Do I even need a description?

And if I had to go by the guitarist that I like the best, I have to go with Boston's lead guitarist. (IDK his name)
Using my iPod so I can't link to YouTube videos like More than a Feeling, Peace of Mind, and Foreplay Longtime.
Well I can, but its a PITA.

Oh man, I also forgot another one of my favorites...

Eric Clapton

Eric must be a name for anyone destined to be a great guitarist... Eric Johnson, Eric Gales, Eric Clapton... Anyway, Eric Clapton is amazing as well. His talents have produced hits like "Cocaine," "Change the World," and "My Father's Eyes." As well as this amazing cover of "I Shot the Sheriff":

The solo he does is insane! Definitely my favorite solo I have ever heard...

My favorite guitarists are: Jimi Hendrix, Synyster Gates, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Tomo Milicevic, Eddie Van Halen and Buckethead. They all are playing fantastic guitar.

Eddie Van Halen
Jake E. Lee
Randy Rhoads (RIP...)
Dave Mustaine
Jimi Hendrix
Kirk Hammett
and so on :cool:

There can only be one!

Uknown Hinson also has a great tone and gets so much out of just one guitar.

Last edited:
Alex Lifeson-This dude is epicly talented :sly:
Billy Gibbons

There's more I'm forgetting so expect to see me back soon. :lol:

Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)

Anyone that listens to Maiden knows that their live act is arguably better than the studio albums, in fact critics have repeatedly said that the 1985 live album Live After Death is the best live album of all live albums.

I've got more lol

Some of my favourites, in no particular order (apart from Hendrix who is my favourite):

Robert Johnson
Bo Diddley
Eddie Cochran
George Harrison (The Beatles, Solo)
Bob Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
Zoot Horn Rollo (Captain Beefheart's Magic Band)
Eric Clapton (Cream)
Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd & Solo)
David Gilmour (Pink FLoyd)
Lou Reed (The Velvet Underground)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Wayne Kramer (The MC5)
Fred "Sonic" Smith (The MC5)
Ron Asheton (The Stooges)
James Williamson (Iggy & the Stooges)
Eddie Hazel (Parliament/Funkadelic)
Michael Karoli (Can)
Tom Verlaine (Television)
Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)
Prince
Bernard Sumner (Joy Division, New Order)
Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
John Squire (The Stone Roses)
Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine,Primal Scream)
Jason Pierce (Spacemen 3, Spiritualized)
Peter Kember (Spacemen 3, Spectrum)
Jim Reid (The Jesus & Mary Chain)
William Reid (The Jesus & Mary Chain)
Laurent Brancowitz (Phoenix)
Christian Mazzalai (Phoenix)
Nick Valensi (The Strokes)
Daniel Kessler (Interpol)
Joshua Hayward (The Horrors)

1: John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers/Solo work
2: Slash - Guns N' Roses
3: Joe Satriani - Chickenfoot/Solo work

Here's a few of my favourites, being a song writer they have certainly inspired me:

Slash
Steve Vai
Dave Murray
Janick Gers
Adrian Smith
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Richie Sambora
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Tony Iommi
Randy Rhoads
Zakk Wylde

To name a few..

Too many to list really, but without a doubt the main influence in my guitar playing is Jimi Hendrix. The guy is a legend and there is not a single song he has recorded which I don't like, psychedelia material like Purple Haze and Voodoo Child, slower stuff like The Wind Cries Mary and my personal favorite his cover of All Along The Watchtower.

And as for nowadays my personal favorite is Matt Bellamy, although I am fairly biased being a complete Muse fanboy (Don't kill me! :lol: ). Think he's an amazing front man and is really inventive when it comes to guitar, some of the effects he uses are insane and there's no doubting his musical ability.

My top two are Angus Young and Dean Deleo. When i was younger all I listened to was AC/DC, Angus young was the reason i picked up a guitar and the reason i bought an SG. Now Dean Deleo is, crazy good. I love STP and when I saw them last year and this year he was just so good, playiing led zepplin licks between STP songs. plus Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Kurt Cobain and more...

Here's a few of my favourites, being a song writer they have certainly inspired me:

Slash
Steve Vai
Dave Murray
Janick Gers
Adrian Smith
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Richie Sambora
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Tony Iommi
Randy Rhoads
Zakk Wylde

To name a few..

Keep going, you forgot Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield in their. So many more besides these guys though, like Vivian Campbell, Geroge Lynch, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Guthrie Govan. Though this video quality doesn't do him justice, check out his erotic cakes recorded stuff, just unbelievable.

Alex Lifeson
Billy Gibbons
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Joe Perry
Barry Goudreau
Joe Walsh
John Fogerty
Mark Knopfler
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tom Petty
Peter Frampton
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Rick Derringer
Billy Squier
George Thorogood
Ted Nugent
Whoever the original Cheap Trick guitarist was (can't find an info -.-)

3 comments...

1. Holy thread resurrection Batman :lol:

2. That was a really fascinating video about someone I'd never heard of. Some of the tracks she played on... :bowdown:

3. For me the number one is Brian May, and has been from the day I first heard a Queen album. But man, there have been some great guitarists mentioned on just this page of the thread!

Latest Posts

Back