Who dislikes this?

• Thread starter LR-MR-Cole
  • 43 comments
Except you get rewarded (credits) every time.

True but the same old AI issues are what bug me.

The latest pp credit reward deal has gotten me playing these more. However with PD showing they are open to mixing up the seasonal format, it's made me anxious for a true Event Generator. Just doesn't seem like it would be so hard to implement but I'm no game programmer.

I even started playing some Arcade and with the AI on 10 it's far better than it ever was. But the oddball fields are disappointing. Also, way too easy to spook the AI from behind-OK I passed you, now battle me back for crying out loud.

It's easy to blame something and not take responsibility for driver skill, choice of car, tune of said car. At the end of the race if you didn't win in GT5 you need to: Practice, Tune the car you're using, or Change car. 9/10 times a loss is due to driver skill/Tune of the car. I believe this game to be centered around challenging yourself--not having the challenge set up for you. One of the reasons people keep playing the seasonals is they allow the fast drivers to shine. They detuned their cars to the point of a huge disadvantage and still win. The race was intentionally designed with this in mind. [With the Performance Difference adjustment being strong evidence] Check any of the seasonal events threads and you'll see what I mean.:cheers:

Caveat: In all fairness, I'm guilty of blaming the game when I'm angry too. Hope this was encouraging or insightful.

I believe you're missing the point entirely. Of course you can detune a car to make finishing first a challenge, but it's still not racing, it's a Time Trial. You get near the AI's in the Ferrari Seasonal and they stop driving. That's ridiculous. Someone at PD can't figure out how to program that properly. C'mon.

None of the AI's will actually race you, draft pass, be tough to pass etc. The race takes a certain amount of time to complete in first place and that's the target, the cars in the field are just cannon fodder or decoration. Might just as well post a time and say, "Okay finish this seasonal, 5 laps in 9 minutes 42 seconds and you win". For faster drivers it means lower PP, for slower drivers higher PP, but it's not racing.

I believe you're missing the point entirely. Of course you can detune a car to make finishing first a challenge, but it's still not racing, it's a Time Trial. You get near the AI's in the Ferrari Seasonal and they stop driving. That's ridiculous. Someone at PD can't figure out how to program that properly. C'mon.

None of the AI's will actually race you, draft pass, be tough to pass etc. The race takes a certain amount of time to complete in first place and that's the target, the cars in the field are just cannon fodder or decoration. Might just as well post a time and say, "Okay finish this seasonal, 5 laps in 9 minutes 42 seconds and you win". For faster drivers it means lower PP, for slower drivers higher PP, but it's not racing.

Would you please define racing then because I was under the impression it was just a bunch of dudes racing similar cars for a prize. I could be wrong...:dunce:

Also, if it's not challenging enough, and you continue to race with an equal car, is that PD's fault or your own?

Would you please define racing then because I was under the impression it was just a bunch of dudes racing similar cars for a prize. I could be wrong...:dunce:

Also, if it's not challenging enough, and you continue to race with an equal car, is that PD's fault or your own?

IF that is the best car you have... it's not your own fault, that's for sure.

I completely understand your previous point about becoming a better driver (I have plenty of room for improvement) and learning to tune cars better.. . (same) as they are THE way to improve in this game specifically for a large majority of the events/challenges.

That said, if you think the AI in the 11 cars ahead of you at the start of a seasonal are similar racers, or have similar cars, something is wrong. Perhaps your perfectly tuned car and excellent racing skills allowed you to blow past all 11 ahead of you so quickly that you didn't notice what is really going on?

As for "defining" racing - where does an excellent driver in possibly the best vehicle in the field get to hit the gas TWENTY SECONDS before the back end of the field does the same? With a staggered, rolling start with gaps between cars so immense most of Autumn Ring Mini would fit between them?

As for "defining" racing - where does an excellent driver in possibly the best vehicle in the field get to hit the gas TWENTY SECONDS before the back end of the field does the same? With a staggered, rolling start with gaps between cars so immense most of Autumn Ring Mini would fit between them?

Do the cars actually begin racing before you do or do they just have the head start of being at the front of the long line? I don't often check to see, but in many cases (and confirmed in the 9-hour enduro recently) all the cars go at the same time, although the front of the queue gets the advantage of the bottlenecks occuring behind them.

In some if not all of the old GT games(you know, the ones so often touted as being SO much better than GT5), the lead cars did generally get to go first as everyone started from the same spot on track. In at least much of GT5 that is not the case, the cars all begin when you reach the start-spot, but perhaps it's different in seasonals where you start farther back.

Like I said I don't often check. It's not like winning is a problem, it's just a matter of clearing the situation PD gives me in the impossibly overwhelmed car I'm trying to do it in. If I want to "race" the AI, I'll have to swtich to a different game, sad but true and I don't see it changing. PD just doesn't seem to think that's what people want.

Every seasonal, every A-Spec, every B-Spec.... While you are plodding along at "rolling start" speed (what is it 70? 90 with the faster cars?) the lead car and those behind him, all have the gas pedal on the floor, and have been doing so since they crossed the start finish line.

At that point, when they are on the gas, im in 12th place in a Seasonal - we are Waaaaaay back there waiting to get up to the line, unable to accelerate until we get there.

This is NOT how "rolling starts" occur in any race I've ever been two or know of, and I've been to five different divisions of racing here in the USA.

Every seasonal, every A-Spec, every B-Spec.... While you are plodding along at "rolling start" speed (what is it 70? 90 with the faster cars?) the lead car and those behind him, all have the gas pedal on the floor, and have been doing so since they crossed the start finish line.

At that point, when they are on the gas, im in 12th place in a Seasonal - we are Waaaaaay back there waiting to get up to the line, unable to accelerate until we get there.

This is NOT how "rolling starts" occur in any race I've ever been two or know of, and I've been to five different divisions of racing here in the USA.

Hmm, to be honest I guess I don't pay attention to it, I'm probably just used to it by now. I can definitely say that that is not how it works in the 9-hours of Tsukuba. I watched the leader drive almost to the turn-in point for turn 1 at that cruising speed before flooring it when I got to the line and the time started(he still set a bogus lap time 2 seconds faster than he ran the whole rest of the race).

In the 1000km of Suzuka I was pretty sure we all started at the same time too. I certainly didn't get a head start on the car beside and slightly behind me, and I swear the car right in front didn't either. Maybe it's just the enduros that are different then, my mistake since that's most of what I've been doing lately and I don't really worry about the seasonals. I just run one and take my money, basically treating them as time trials with annoying blockers and a slightly variable gold time. I pretty much never touch any other A-Spec "races" anymore, they just aren't any fun and haven't been since parking AI was introduced.

Last edited:

Define "racing"? Really?

It's easy to blame something and not take responsibility for driver skill, choice of car, tune of said car. At the end of the race if you didn't win in GT5 you need to: Practice, Tune the car you're using, or Change car. 9/10 times a loss is due to driver skill/Tune of the car. I believe this game to be centered around challenging yourself--not having the challenge set up for you. One of the reasons people keep playing the seasonals is they allow the fast drivers to shine. They detuned their cars to the point of a huge disadvantage and still win. The race was intentionally designed with this in mind. [With the Performance Difference adjustment being strong evidence] Check any of the seasonal events threads and you'll see what I mean.:cheers:

Caveat: In all fairness, I'm guilty of blaming the game when I'm angry too. Hope this was encouraging or insightful.

Trust me driving skill is not the problem, just PD coming up short all the time

Because you aren't the only person that plays GT5. there is a broad spectrum of skill level among people that play this game.

They make seasonals that everyone can do. I think the difficulty of them is well rounded.

^This^

At the end of the day, PD is a business & their job is to SELL. They do this by making their product appealing to as wide a range of consumers as possible. If they were to make the AI as tough as some want, many people wouldn't play the game.

What they could have done, IMO, is to allow us to select difficulty levels, similar to arcade mode, but with a wider range of difficulty.

That said, the game appeals to the largest scope of people of perhaps any game I've ever owned. Four of five family members play at our house...

It sounds like to me someone is too lazy to make the game a challenge by finding a car that works within the regulations and reduce the power or do it with a low performance point level. I do that and it makes it really fun and challenging...

I've done that many times in the FF Seasonals with a Puegeot. But in the 650 Seasonals? Good luck, whichever car you want to take from 600+ down several notches.

Back