Who dislikes this?

• Thread starter LR-MR-Cole
  • 43 comments
LR-MR-Cole
With special events, when you have to start in 12th and work your way past all 12 in 5laps against slow cars. Why can't we start in 6th and fight and struggle for a podium against fast evenly paced cars. If you pick an even with AI cars your lucky to get in the top 5 by the end of 5laps atleast make it 10-15laps

Or better yet, have a grid start in the performance difference seasonals at least. We're already going to be weak on power, so a grid start will set us back, but starting while the leader is through turn 1 is just annoying.

LR-MR-Cole
Why can't we start in 6th and fight and struggle for a podium against fast evenly paced cars.

Because race car. I think it involves much more action when you have to pass 11 cars instead of just 5.

Why can't we start in 6th and fight and struggle for a podium against fast evenly paced cars?

It'd certainly be nice to start off life with a handicap, but somethings just have to be earned.

Suck it up, buttercup. It'll get better.

Because you aren't the only person that plays GT5. there is a broad spectrum of skill level among people that play this game.

They make seasonals that everyone can do. I think the difficulty of them is well rounded.

I don't know this to be true but assume the ps3 is really nothing more than a computer. Assume the skill level of the AI's is tied to CPU processing power. I would like the ability to reduce the number the AI's to increase the remainder's driving skill by freeing up processing power.

Because you aren't the only person that plays GT5. there is a broad spectrum of skill level among people that play this game.

They make seasonals that everyone can do. I think the difficulty of them is well rounded.

I don't know this to be true but assume the ps3 is really nothing more than a computer. Assume the skill level of the AI's is tied to CPU processing power. I would like the ability to reduce the number the AI's to increase the remainder's driving skill by freeing up processing power.

These sum it up perfectly 👍

Some of the 650 PP Seasonals are VERY tough from the 12th position. Giving some fantastic car(s) a 20 second lead? The "UN-Real Driving Simulator" in a way.

Sure, I'm not that good yet, only 220 or so game days in, with PLENTY of abandoned races as the 20 seconds becomes 23, 25, 26, while I'm spinning tires on the beach due to pressing. Sometimes I think I'm racing solidly, with lap and sections improving, but the 20 seconds becomes 18.5. Laguna Seca - terribly frustrating...

IMO, a BETTER AI driver would create a better race IF the starting grid was adjusted properly.

Standing start and they competition drives EXTREMELY well perhaps Maybe a Rolling starts with LESS than a 20 second lead and slightly better AI would make for a great race. The math would dictate that strong lap times similar to what it takes to make up 25 seconds on two rabbits would be required to win, but ONE mistake is not certain doom.

JAT

(Just A Thought)

Last edited:
With special events, when you have to start in 12th and work your way past all 12 in 5laps against slow cars. Why can't we start in 6th and fight and struggle for a podium against fast evenly paced cars. If you pick an even with AI cars your lucky to get in the top 5 by the end of 5laps atleast make it 10-15laps

Imagine your Mom, who never had a driver's license, takes up GT5. That's who the Seasonals are designed for. For the rest of us it's basically a time trial. After a couple of shots at it, you quickly figure out you need to run a certain lap time to finish first, so you try and find the lowest PP car to get the job done so you can max out the rewards and the challenge. It's not really racing because much of the time when you pass the AI they just stop racing. The recent F1 Seasonal is a joke because whenever you pass a car he lifts off the throttle and you just fly on by.

I don't know why they can't just get some hotshot at PD to run a hotlap in a car and use that as the basis of all the laps, just slowing some of the cars as you move down the grid.

Couldn't there be a slowdown or boost system applied to the AI? If you're not very good the computer adjusts... conversely if you're Senna's secret love child the computer would speed up and keep you on your toes. The boost function is there in online rooms so PD have had this sort of thing on the table. Just a thought. cheers all :)

Hey, I would just like to point out why seasonals will never be grid starts. I'm going to use the previous Ferrari seasonal for my explination. I'm not I front of my tv so I don't have exact numbers but I'll try my best.

The seasonal starts out at 800+pp. On Eifel, I have managed to do it on 732pp after being 23 seconds behind after the first lap. I still won by 2-3 seconds. The point I'm trying to make is everyone knows that the AI are stupid when it comes to braking. So I feel PD makes the gap so wide and rolling starts. If they were grid, I would pass all of the AI before the end of the first lap.

I hope you see the point I'm trying to make. Take care everyone.

Last edited:
Hey, I would just like to point out why seasonals will never be grid starts........

I don't think anyone is suggesting a move to, for example, the 6th starting position, with the CURRENT AI driving abilities.

Instead, move us up (or even have qualification) AND improve the AI tremendously.

A good would start you in first or second, and would have a door to door battle for the entire race. Unfortunately this is nearly impossible through ai.

This is the major problem with Gt5 as a whole. I frequently dream of a game with GT physics and codemasters quality AI (and damage). They are good dreams!

After setting up my car, going to a seasonal usually requires de-tuning to qualify, so starting in 12th and moving up is the challenge I have over cars that may have less equipment (pp).
Sometimes I only win by a nano second, sometimes by 1/2 lap, the nano second ones are the ones that get the adrenaline flowing.

This must have been mentioned a hundred times by now:

The seasonals are as difficult as you choose to make them. Depending on car/tyre/PP selection, they can be 🤬 easy to near impossible.

Point one is indeed true, the PS3 is a computer. Point two is incorrect, the strength of the AI is entirely due to said AI's programming. If you subtract AI cars you will end up with less AI cars with the same skill sets.

This is the major problem with Gt5 as a whole. I frequently dream of a game with GT physics and codemasters quality AI (and damage). They are good dreams!

There are plenty of hardcore racing sims in the PC world if that is what you are looking for. The PS3 does not have the horsepower (pun intended) to run them and with its current 5+ year old hardware never will.

There are plenty of hardcore racing sims in the PC world if that is what you are looking for. The PS3 does not have the horsepower (pun intended) to run them and with its current 5+ year old hardware never will.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am looking into getting a gaming PC. Any idea how much I'd need to spend to get a decent set up? I wouldn't need a monitor just the actual tower.

There are plenty of hardcore racing sims in the PC world if that is what you are looking for. The PS3 does not have the horsepower (pun intended) to run them and with its current 5+ year old hardware never will.

Yeah I am looking into getting a gaming PC. Any idea how much I'd need to spend to get a decent set up? I wouldn't need a monitor just the actual tower.

Yeah I am looking into getting a gaming PC. Any idea how much I'd need to spend to get a decent set up? I wouldn't need a monitor just the actual tower.[/QUOTE]

If you are buying pre-built probably should look at around $1000. If you can DIY, $6-800 should be fine.

If you are buying pre-built probably should look at around $1000. If you can DIY, $6-800 should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Is that Canadian dollars?

I dislike that aspect too. I've just accepted the fact that aspec/ seasonal events are Time Trials with moving chicanes... nothing more.

I love it. Its more challeging (only a tittle more ;) Slow AI). But lots more fun dealing with the whole pack in a lap or 3-4. Better then driving 4 laps in front ALONE!

Edit. They should turn on Tyre wear and shortcutPENALTY And off Skid controll.

TeamOrecaViper
I love it. Its more challeging (only a tittle more ;) Slow AI). But lots more fun dealing with the whole pack in a lap or 3-4. Better then driving 4 laps in front ALONE!

Agreed.

Hey, I would just like to point out why seasonals will never be grid starts. I'm going to use the previous Ferrari seasonal for my explination. I'm not I front of my tv so I don't have exact numbers but I'll try my best.

The seasonal starts out at 800+pp. On Eifel, I have managed to do it on 732pp after being 23 seconds behind after the first lap. I still won by 2-3 seconds. The point I'm trying to make is everyone knows that the AI are stupid when it comes to braking. So I feel PD makes the gap so wide and rolling starts. If they were grid, I would pass all of the AI before the end of the first lap.

Your assumption is that the AI remain programmed the same as they are now. If they could run consistent laps the same as you it wouldn't be such an easy race.

This must have been mentioned a hundred times by now:

The seasonals are as difficult as you choose to make them. Depending on car/tyre/PP selection, they can be 🤬 easy to near impossible.

I don't think the point is really the difficulty. You could have an AI on a bicycle starting three corners from the end of the Nurb and make it a close race to the finish but the point is, it's not a race. The challenge isn't to outrace the AI because they aren't racing in any normal way, they are just running really slow laps and your goal is to find a car that can run fast enough laps to close the gap. It's much more like a Time Trial, not a race. What we want are races, not Time Trials, we have those already.

Edit. They should turn on Tyre wear and shortcutPENALTY And off Skid controll.

I'd rather start from third and spend the whole race fighting to get around the two cars in front and to hold off the one behind, all the while in danger of making one big mistake and getting passed by all of them. But I'm a bit odd.

Sometimes I think it's almost better to have no AI's around at all. But then that gets boring too, so I fire up arcade mode and try to set up a decent battle for fourth.

And then I'll be online with just one or two people and I'll wish we could include the bots online, dumb as they are. That's one thing I really miss from F1 2010. I mean, how much resources can they possibly be using? I kid, I know it could take LOTS of processing to drive that bad. Or GT5 might just not have any room available for much AI "thinking." Or they might do lots of "thinking" but none of it is about driving faster. EDIT: Or it could just come down to PD not being able to get all the PS3s to agree on where the bots are. Still, it would be nice.

I still think most of their problem(parking notwithstanding) is just that PD has never bothered to expend the effort to teach them proper racing lines that don't accentuate their weaknesses. They ought to know after ten years that for example if the AI cars turn in too early and exit too wide, they are going to have a major lift at a point where they need to be flat. Every time. So don't make them do that if you can't give them better decision-making. That and their apparent refusal to believe that a difficulty setting could be a good thing.

I guess I'm pretty well off-topic by now. So no, I'm not really a fan of the "worst to head-started first" seasonals, although I dont think starting 6th or 7th every time is any better. Give me qualifying and a field of evenly-matched non-parking cars who all start at the same time any day. If you can't make them fast then so be it, at least let me make it roughly even. Then you can add the option for longer races and tire wear and the like.

Johnnypenso
I don't think the point is really the difficulty. You could have an AI on a bicycle starting three corners from the end of the Nurb and make it a close race to the finish but the point is, it's not a race. The challenge isn't to outrace the AI because they aren't racing in any normal way, they are just running really slow laps and your goal is to find a car that can run fast enough laps to close the gap. It's much more like a Time Trial, not a race. What we want are races, not Time Trials, we have those already.

👍
The AI for the seasonal in question seemed a bit like a robot, each opponent experiencing the same flaw when within a certain distance. This wasn't anywhere close to difficult, so long as you know how to pick your way through traffic.

And I'm slow.

It's easy to blame something and not take responsibility for driver skill, choice of car, tune of said car. At the end of the race if you didn't win in GT5 you need to: Practice, Tune the car you're using, or Change car. 9/10 times a loss is due to driver skill/Tune of the car. I believe this game to be centered around challenging yourself--not having the challenge set up for you. One of the reasons people keep playing the seasonals is they allow the fast drivers to shine. They detuned their cars to the point of a huge disadvantage and still win. The race was intentionally designed with this in mind. [With the Performance Difference adjustment being strong evidence] Check any of the seasonal events threads and you'll see what I mean.:cheers:

Caveat: In all fairness, I'm guilty of blaming the game when I'm angry too. Hope this was encouraging or insightful.

Last edited:
Back