Who else wants Codemasters to lose their F1 rights?

Would you rather have a different maker of the F1 games?

• Total voters

TelepathicCow

(Banned)
Ireland
Donegal
Previously I have enjoyed Codemasters' previous racing game instalments The TOCA series (one of my personal favourite series of racing games) Grid 1, Dirt 1 and 2 and Colin Mcrae rally 1 and 2. But in my opinion Codemasters have gone down Dirt 3 onwards. F1 2010 I enjoyed a lot but all the F1 games have been boring and repetitive afterwards with the exception of the classic DLC in 2013 which still got pretty dull after about a month. Other Codemasters games after F1 2010 are crap and basically a ton of ads for DLC pop up in ugly boxes. Dirt 3 may as well be called Pointless drifting and gymkhana in a rally car. F1 2011 had terrible console graphics. Dirt: Showdown ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Two real cars and a load of stupid fake ones demolition derbies and try to knock cars out of a circle along with MORE GYMKHANA and DRIFTING! It's rally not FD! F1 2012 is boring. F1 Racestars is a Mario Kart Rip-off. F1 2013 is probably the most bearable since F1 2010. And F1 2014 sucks.

I think a different studio should take F1 on. My favourite F1 game is F1 Championship Edition by Studio Liverpool. Far Superior to F1 2011 onwards. Realistic, tough and above all fun. Wouldn't mind EA taking the rights it would be better than Codemasters. I would love SL to take it on again and make another great game. Sorry Codies but your definitely not as good as you used to be.

I personally feel they focus all their collective strengths on Dirt or a rally simulator.

F1 isn't their best suite. I remember the 97' F1 game that came out on the PS1 with Joe Satriani tracks and Murray Walker's commentary.

Probably the best F1 game I've experienced on a console. Really alive with F1 atmosphere. Great game.

The wording of the title is incredibly cynical. No, I don't want them to lose their licencing. I want them to continue working to improve the series and I believe they'll get there.

The wording of the title is incredibly cynical. No, I don't want them to lose their licencing. I want them to continue working to improve the series and I believe they'll get there.

They had plenty of opportunities to better the franchise. Don't know what the actual reason is. Maybe they should outsource GRID AS and F1, while pooling all their strengths towards Dirt. IMO, Dirt is the best series to come out of their studios.

No, they do a good job. Tracks and cars look good and is quite an accessible F1 game. Don't think there are many development teams out there who would have the finances to do a F1 game to the level they do anyway. However I would like PD to make a F1 game only if they ready to do one at a better level.

Wouldn't mind EA taking the rights it would be better than Codemasters.
So you can have "pay-to-win" options, eh? Or you just might be too young to remember the old EA F1 games. Prefer F1 races with "Slipstream Turbo" boost? I think Codemaster's represent modern F1 insanely well - because the whole point of the F1 games is to generate those who don't really have an interest. I think they do that well, as well as serving the existing fanbase.

But you got to understand the complexity of working multi-plat global market. F1CE was PS3 only, I wouldn't hold it exactly high but it was also for the first F1 game to grace the American market in yeeeears. Who liked practicing in that awful dawn/dusk hour all the time? How was that an incredible remember-able experience? I marked that as misery.

But of course, Codemaster's have things they could work on - but nothing is perfect. The thing's that are messed up title after title don't numb the experience at all. I've done multiple seasons throughout F1 2010-F1 2014. The Codemaster's games are quite good IMO. Probably not as good as the unlicensed PC sims mods. But that's alright.

F1 2014 wasn't remotely as bad people say. It's an F1 game - lower your standards. You don't buy new NASCAR licensed games year after year to drive Richard Petty's winning Superbird right? Yeah content was lowered, but with F1 2013 classic packs, don't forget. We paid extra for that at launch. Take away 2013's classic pack, guess what? It's the same $60 updated game you've bought since 2010.

Last edited:
They had plenty of opportunities to better the franchise. Don't know what the actual reason is. Maybe they should outsource GRID AS and F1, while pooling all their strengths towards Dirt. IMO, Dirt is the best series to come out of their studios.

Dirt 1, 2 and the Early Access one on Steam are great. Turn GRID back into Touring Cars or Race Driver esque series. Give the F1 franchise to someone else.

But of course, Codemaster's have things they could work on - but nothing is perfect. The thing's that are messed up title after title don't numb the experience at all. I've done multiple seasons throughout F1 2010-F1 2014. The Codemaster's games are quite good IMO. Probably not as good as the unlicensed PC sims mods. But that's alright.

F1 2014 wasn't remotely as bad people say. It's an F1 game - lower your standards. You don't buy new NASCAR licensed games year after year to drive Richard Petty's winning Superbird right? Yeah content was lowered, but with F1 2013 classic packs, don't forget. We paid extra for that at launch. Take away 2013's classic pack, guess what? It's the same $60 updated game you've bought since 2010.

Ditto on the Rfactor mod point. Dunno 'bout NASCAR I can't really relate to that. It's an F1 game lower your standards????????????????????? What the heck? As an F1 fan I expect the highest standard of game for the best racing series on earth.

Previously I have enjoyed Codemasters' previous racing game instalments The TOCA series (one of my personal favourite series of racing games) Grid 1, Dirt 1 and 2 and Colin Mcrae rally 1 and 2. But in my opinion Codemasters have gone down Dirt 3 onwards. F1 2010 I enjoyed a lot but all the F1 games have been boring and repetitive afterwards with the exception of the classic DLC in 2013 which still got pretty dull after about a month. Other Codemasters games after F1 2010 are crap and basically a ton of ads for DLC pop up in ugly boxes. Dirt 3 may as well be called Pointless drifting and gymkhana in a rally car. F1 2011 had terrible console graphics. Dirt: Showdown ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Two real cars and a load of stupid fake ones demolition derbies and try to knock cars out of a circle along with MORE GYMKHANA and DRIFTING! It's rally not FD! F1 2012 is boring. F1 Racestars is a Mario Kart Rip-off. F1 2013 is probably the most bearable since F1 2010. And F1 2014 sucks.

I think a different studio should take F1 on. My favourite F1 game is F1 Championship Edition by Studio Liverpool. Far Superior to F1 2011 onwards. Realistic, tough and above all fun. Wouldn't mind EA taking the rights it would be better than Codemasters. I would love SL to take it on again and make another great game. Sorry Codies but your definitely not as good as you used to be.
SL have been dissolved for years now so there's no chance of them getting the license. :lol:

I like Codemasters' F1 games, they make the game for the F1 fan rather than hardcore racing fans. Which is what they should be for at the end of the day.

F1CE was not tough at all. Codemasters have done well with what they have. Name another company who could do better.
Much better and more realistic than Codemasters F1. Name another company? ISI, PD and SMS all could top Codemasters.
EDIT: Sector 3 Studios (or SimBin to those of you unacquainted with the name change) could also do a better job.

Much better and more realistic than Codemasters F1. Name another company? ISI, PD and SMS all could top Codemasters.
EDIT: Sector 3 Studios (or SimBin to those of you unacquainted with the name change) could also do a better job.

ISI? So they can alienate the console gamers and make a hardcore sim on an ancient engine with awful Ai? PD with its lacklustre open wheel physics, lifeless tracks, poor sounds or sms who will spent 5 years developing a game that released broken and still isn't fixed? Sector3 speciality is tin top touring and gt racing so no I don't want them doing open wheel racing.

When EA held the license, I enjoyed the games they were making, F1 career challenge is probably the highlight for me on the original xbox. Then sony got the license exclusively and started adding features we always wanted, making our own driver, proper career mode, podium scenes and eventually classic cars and formation laps. But they all lacked something. Through this whole time I wished that codemasters would get the license. Then that announcement came. It was probably higher profile than normal because 06 was the last season that got made, 09 was wii o ly and outsourced so by the time it dropped it has been 3 years since a proper F1 title.

They found what was missing from previous games, a passion for F1. 2010 and 2011 ooze passion. 2012 lost some of the live the life aspects and 2013 was, imo, the best of the series till now. Aside from 2014, every game improved one way or another. 2014 was what it was because of the next gen development. They couldn't justify putting all their resources into that game and risk throwing the development for next gen into disarray. It's also why 2015 is the way it is. It's a new lead, a new team, a brand new engine for graphics and physics. Fact is 2015 may as well have been made by a new studio because the whole thing is new. Too many people are blinded by hatred for codemasters when they haven't really done much wrong. In the eyes of most the main thing they have done wrong is not put what they want in th games. 2915 is a platform, a foundation for the future F1 games. If everyone took a step back and saw the bigger picture life would be great. At this current time there is no better studio than codemasters to be working on the F1 license. They are building a good relationship with FOM and the teams, which is crucial to getting the features people want. To ruin that now would be stupid and ruin the next 5, 6, 7 F1 games.

ISI? So they can alienate the console gamers and make a hardcore sim on an ancient engine with awful Ai? PD with its lacklustre open wheel physics, lifeless tracks, poor sounds or sms who will spent 5 years developing a game that released broken and still isn't fixed? Sector3 speciality is tin top touring and gt racing so no I don't want them doing open wheel racing.

When EA held the license, I enjoyed the games they were making, F1 career challenge is probably the highlight for me on the original xbox. Then sony got the license exclusively and started adding features we always wanted, making our own driver, proper career mode, podium scenes and eventually classic cars and formation laps. But they all lacked something. Through this whole time I wished that codemasters would get the license. Then that announcement came. It was probably higher profile than normal because 06 was the last season that got made, 09 was wii o ly and outsourced so by the time it dropped it has been 3 years since a proper F1 title.

They found what was missing from previous games, a passion for F1. 2010 and 2011 ooze passion. 2012 lost some of the live the life aspects and 2013 was, imo, the best of the series till now. Aside from 2014, every game improved one way or another. 2014 was what it was because of the next gen development. They couldn't justify putting all their resources into that game and risk throwing the development for next gen into disarray. It's also why 2015 is the way it is. It's a new lead, a new team, a brand new engine for graphics and physics. Fact is 2015 may as well have been made by a new studio because the whole thing is new. Too many people are blinded by hatred for codemasters when they haven't really done much wrong. In the eyes of most the main thing they have done wrong is not put what they want in th games. 2915 is a platform, a foundation for the future F1 games. If everyone took a step back and saw the bigger picture life would be great. At this current time there is no better studio than codemasters to be working on the F1 license. They are building a good relationship with FOM and the teams, which is crucial to getting the features people want. To ruin that now would be stupid and ruin the next 5, 6, 7 F1 games.

You liked the EA games so that was basically made by ISI so kind of contradicting yourself there. How is Project CARS broken? One of the best sims I've played. Sector 3 games are awesome. Also Formula Raceroom I feel was a realistic interpretation of an open wheel racer which was in Race 07. Sony had some proper racing stuff in it and Codemasters is just a step backwards. 09 was also released on PSP. The Wii version was surprisingly great craic.

Passion? Is that really what matters make a crap sim and say its better because it has passion is absolute garbage. How did the other games lack passion what passion is in the Codemasters one. Oh wait there is absolutely no freaking difference that makes no sense. It would not ruin the next seven games! It would improve the game immensely.

Yes they were basically made by ISI, however the console games were completely different games to the versions the PC gamers got which are the versions isi had the most input in. And as i am predominantly talking about cinsole gaming that is my main focus. This is also over 12 years ago. Project cars is so bug ridden I can't bring myself to play it, bugs that have existed since the earliest builds of the game and are still there. It might well be a good simulation of motorsport but it's still riddled with bugs that kill the enjoyment. Formula raceroom was fun for a car, fairly realistic I guess. AI still ducked in it.

The Wii version was poor. Your now only saying it was great because codemasters didn't make it.

Passion doesn't make simulations no, but since when was this about being a simulation? Why do people always want racing games to be harder because "that's more realistic". The difficulty is perfectly balanced for 99% of F1 fans, which this game is aimed at. F1CE was too easy, that's just a fact, the driving physics are not as good as F1 2015s, the only thing it has going for it over 2015 is a career mode which we know we are getting in 2016. Passion for a sport is what makes sports games better because the people making them actually love the sport. They understand what makes a sport tick and what the fans enjoy because they are fans as well. Previous F1 games were too lifeless and bland, F1CE wasn't too bad in this respect but doesn't hold a candle to codemasters F1 games.

If the PC sims you have mentioned are so good, why are you here? F1 games will never be the super realistic hardcore pc sim experience you seem to want.

F1CE was not tough at all. Codemasters have done well with what they have. Name another company who could do better.

OP did exactly that - Studio Liverpool made far better use of the official license in one game (F1:CE) than Codemasters has after seven whole years of holding it.

As for naming another, MicroProse.

Yes they were basically made by ISI, however the console games were completely different games to the versions the PC gamers got which are the versions isi had the most input in. And as i am predominantly talking about cinsole gaming that is my main focus. This is also over 12 years ago. Project cars is so bug ridden I can't bring myself to play it, bugs that have existed since the earliest builds of the game and are still there. It might well be a good simulation of motorsport but it's still riddled with bugs that kill the enjoyment. Formula raceroom was fun for a car, fairly realistic I guess. AI still ducked in it.

The Wii version was poor. Your now only saying it was great because codemasters didn't make it.

Passion doesn't make simulations no, but since when was this about being a simulation? Why do people always want racing games to be harder because "that's more realistic". The difficulty is perfectly balanced for 99% of F1 fans, which this game is aimed at. F1CE was too easy, that's just a fact, the driving physics are not as good as F1 2015s, the only thing it has going for it over 2015 is a career mode which we know we are getting in 2016. Passion for a sport is what makes sports games better because the people making them actually love the sport. They understand what makes a sport tick and what the fans enjoy because they are fans as well. Previous F1 games were too lifeless and bland, F1CE wasn't too bad in this respect but doesn't hold a candle to codemasters F1 games.

If the PC sims you have mentioned are so good, why are you here? F1 games will never be the super realistic hardcore pc sim experience you seem to want.

Here because I want a realistic F1 game that is like F1CE. Codemasters is easier all day long. How was F1CE lifeless and bland? Has more life than Codemasters. Podium, commentary, brilliant display graphics just like you were watching on TV.
OP did exactly that - Studio Liverpool made far better use of the official license in one game (F1:CE) than Codemasters has after seven whole years of holding it.

^THIS
Oh whoops forgot to include MicroProse (Geoff Crammond's games were great) I guess that makes five companies.

The last F1 game I played was F1 2011 and I truly enjoyed that game. Especially the co-op mode. I heard F1 2012 was one of the best. So from my experience no I would not want them to lose the F1 rights.

Absolutely. I think Codemasters has done a relatively poor job over the past 6 years with the license. From endless bugs, to poor physics and AI, washed out graphics and missing features, they have gone nowhere with the license. While the racing is a bit better than what we saw on the old systems, F1 2015 shows a complete lack of direction and ideas. There are several other companies out there that currently do F1-type cars much better than Codemasters. Trouble is, who's got the money to buy the license. Sony, Microsoft, EA maybe... Definitely don't want EA getting the license.

Codemaster's strength is in the atmosphere of the game, that I don't deny and I don't think there is another developer that can do it as well as they do. But they fall short in the physics department and Q&A (bugs, glitches, etcetera).

That being said, I think the solution moving forward is for F1 to diversify its license use. Have Codemasters do the complete annual games, but also sublicence the cars and tracks freely to any other game developer that wants it. That way we can have a smattering of the most popular cars and tracks (from the past and present) in as many sims as possible (AC, PCARS, GT, FM, GSCE, RRRE, etc). Casual fans are happy with Codies forgiving handling. Hardcore fans are happy that they can run the full season in Codies games. Those who just wants to drive the cars with the best physics can do so in other games without paying full price for an official game with lacklustre physics. Everyone wins! (even FOM because they get to sell more licenses)

Who cares who has the license? Every game developer has its advantages. Codemasters has the license now and I really like F1 2015. I love all F1 games because it's F1. I played every single F1 game since F1 97. Every game has it's stengths and weaknesses.

I don't recall wich edition it was, but there was a title where championship mode wasn't included and everyone went mad. Now we have that but no careermode and everyone is mad. A vicious circle based on the fact that everyone want a game to meet their indiviual and exact preferences to be in a game.

Never gonna happen

We shall just have to disagree on that first point. Microprose built good F1 sims but they weren't available to a majority of people. Were they better overall games though? Again, debatable in my opinion.

We shall just have to disagree on that first point.

On the basis of what, exactly? Let's look at the facts:

- No official overlay graphics
- No commentary
- No interviews (removed for who knows what reason)
- No safety car (I don't care how infrequently it was issued in the previous games, it's a staple of the season and more importantly it's an officially licensed game)
- No formation lap

Take a look at this:

Now I defy you to find anything in F1 2010-2015 that isn't a PC mod that has the same level of presentation as just the first six seconds (after the MGTV intro) of this video. F1:CE has a presence about it that every CM F1 game lacks, there's simply nothing to disagree upon regarding that.

On the basis of what, exactly? Let's look at the facts:

- No official overlay graphics
- No commentary
- No interviews (removed for who knows what reason)
- No safety car (I don't care how infrequently it was issued in the previous games, it's a staple of the season and more importantly it's an officially licensed game)
- No formation lap

Take a look at this:

Now I defy you to find anything in F1 2010-2015 that isn't a PC mod that has the same level of presentation as just the first six seconds (after the MGTV intro) of this video. F1:CE has a presence about it that every CM F1 game lacks, there's simply nothing to disagree upon regarding that.

First game I bought for the PS3 in 2006. It was a terrific first attempt by Sony/Studio Liverpool. Shame they didn't do another one. Maybe because the fat and expensive PS3 wasn't doing well at that time and the game didn't sell well... Although the physics weren't that great compared today's driving games, it was a much better game than anything Codemasters has produced, in my opinion. I was rubbish at the QTE pit stops though. :lol:

First game I bought for the PS3 in 2006. It was a terrific first attempt by Sony/Studio Liverpool. Shame they didn't do another one. Maybe because the fat and expensive PS3 wasn't doing well at that time and the game didn't sell well... Although the physics weren't that great, it was a much better game than anything Codemasters has produced, in my opinion.

Perhaps, but I'm specifically talking about recreating as authentic an experience as possible and that's one thing Codemasters isn't doing.

Studio Liverpool had their hiccups with some of my criticisms as well (look at their earlier attempts) but F1:CE is just the basis by which all comparisons are made for what I'm referring to.

Perhaps, but I'm specifically talking about recreating as authentic an experience as possible and that's one thing Codemasters isn't doing.

Agreed. They've made very little attempt to ever do it over the last 6 years. Seems to me they've been perfectly content to just remodel the cars every year and give then new liveries. Where I come from we call it, "Milkin' it."

Last edited:
I think that codemasters have done a good job with the F1 games to be fair, but too many people are butt hurt over it not have the same career mode that their previous F1 games had. Fact is there is nothing at all wrong with the current championship mode, and I like the fact that all the role playing rubbish has gone for now. I don't play a racing game for the cutscenes, I play them for the racing and the driving of F1 cars. Sure there are other studios out there that could do a better job in terms of the physics, but the chances are very slim on it moving to a studio who would do that. The reason being, is that it needs to be brought too a wide player base. The game needs to cater to the casuals and the hardcore players alike, much like the WRC games made by milestone.

If Codemasters where to lose it though, I don't see why it would be a problem if EA got the chance to have another crack at it. As it stands, there old games where decent for the time, and I had a lot of fun playing those F1 games they made along side ISI. I also really enjoyed the F1 manager game they made, as it was something different. As it stands, EA and Dice could probably do a fairly decent job for F1. Dice themselves have made racing games in the past, and some pretty good ones at that.

I would love to see T10 also have a go at an F1 game, but at the same time, I wouldnt want the F1 games to become locked out to one platform again. It was so annoying when F1 whet to a Sony exclusive, and it had the effect of me not playing them until F1 2013 came around. Which I only bought because I tried the demo for F1 2012 on my xbox 360. As it stands though, I am buying the F1 game for PC, as I can use my G27 on there.

Personally I am enjoying F1 2015, it has more atmosphere that the last 2 games have had, even if a little scripted. Driving the cars also feels a hell of a lot better than the last 2 games, and for me, the FFB is also improved. Though they really do need to add a wheel calibration tool in the settings menu, as for setup they have on Dirt Rally is far better.

I also have to agree with @MildAshers . I also wouldn't want SMS to have a go with the F1 license.

F1:CE was a great game when it came out on ps3, and had really nice graphics for it's time too. What I don't agree with is that it has better physics than the codies games. I bought a second hand copy of it for ps3, when F1 2013 was new (I had CE when it was new, but sold it). I started a career on it, and as soon as I hit the track I started remembering why I sold it. It was great in it's day, but the physics are really poor. It's ridiculously easy. Since F1 2012, the Codies games have been light years ahead of CE. Only missing some of the nice little bits CE had, like the official overlay, comentary (although in CE it was repetitive and annoying, and felt fake as hell), and the warm up lap and podium. I am glad they got rid of the stupid interviews in the Codies games though, they were so repetitive, it didn't seem even remotely real lol.

I don't think Codies' games are perfect, far from in fact. I do however think they're doing a great job with 2015. Official F1 games just won't be realistic these days, as they want the games to target a wider audience than sim racers. I think the Codies games have gotten better and better, and I think next year's title will be by far the best in the series.

With that said, I think @LeGeNd-1 has a great idea there. I would also like to see the licence for F1 cars, old and new, to be sold to some of the sim studios. I like having the official game, but a yearly release game is never going to have deep physics. If SMS made the official game, we'd only get one every 5 or 6 years. So I think it'd be great if they could just buy the licence for certain years of F1 cars to include in their current sim. Same goes for the PC sim studios, although you can already get F1 mods for PC sims.

lol yes.

I think Codies have reached their peak. May be one last shot next year but it is time for a change IMO.

I have 2012 and 2013.I got 2013 digital version because of sale. 2012 is a great game indeed. Their games have the best AI, gfx and gameplay are really good as well. Gfx has a yellowish filter though. F1 CE has still better lighting. 2013 looks slightly better but the tire wear as very frustrating and AI have no affect, rain as well was useless. My first PS3 game was F1 CE, it was by far the best looking racing game. Even after years of it release. TV style presentation with commentary and sounds too was awesome. It was basically a PS2 port and they had to rush it. No Wheel, or DS3 support as well. I think DS was not even released. I wish they had 2-3yrs more to show what they could have done on PS3..

I enjoy coides games that I have. Particularly F1 2012 even though cars have the ugly nose. I will definitely buy 2015 as well.

Found this video on virtualr.net, yes there is the big bad **** word at the begi
nning but you gotta watch this.
I'm still laughing! LOL!

That's another thing. The online is really flawed. Especially the penalty system.

Studio Liverpool had their hiccups with some of my criticisms as well (look at their earlier attempts) but F1:CE is just the basis by which all comparisons are made for what I'm referring to.

PS2 games were bad but with the PS3 they made it great especially the layout. Much better and more official looking and it's a shame they went under and did not have a chance to improve even further

Back