Who else wants Codemasters to lose their F1 rights?

Would you rather have a different maker of the F1 games?

• Total voters
Yeah rfactor rocks but we want classic content for consoles. Possibilities are endless for PC but for those who don't have one, we need a classic game.

Licensing issues is always going to be the stumbling block for an official classic game on consoles. And the physics is always going to be compromised for the casual players. It's the sad truth really. Console is convenient, but if you want proper racing games PC + modding is the way to go.

Licensing issues is always going to be the stumbling block for an official classic game on consoles. And the physics is always going to be compromised for the casual players. It's the sad truth really. Console is convenient, but if you want proper racing games PC + modding is the way to go.

Definatly.

For me modding is ok for games like GTA, etc. but games like F1 on the other hand, sometimes I like or hate it because for example, if I were to put a Mclaren MP4-4 mod on F12013 by replacing either a Lotus 98T or Williams, that's where I feel a bit uncomfortable but that's just my taste.

I know what you mean, I've seen some mods where it just changes the livery but keeps the current shape and it just looks wrong but there are some fantastic and well done mods out there.

Apologies if this has been said, I've not read all 7 pages but this thread just caught my eye. If CM lost the F1 rights, there is a high chance you would have no F1 game at all. The rights are expensive and between 2006 and 2009 the rights were there for the taking, nobody wanted it. EA weren't interested, Sony didn't want it to continue. If CM didn't step in and buy the license, you probably still wouldn't have seen one and as I say, if they decided to end their licensing with FOM there is no guarantee another dev would want to pick it up.

That is true to an extent, the rights were rediculously expensive and I beleive it wasn't until the price was lowered that codies picked it up. Sony wanted it but just didn't want to pay the high price and it was apparently a bidding war between codies and Sony.

For me modding is ok for games like GTA, etc. but games like F1 on the other hand, sometimes I like or hate it because for example, if I were to put a Mclaren MP4-4 mod on F12013 by replacing either a Lotus 98T or Williams, that's where I feel a bit uncomfortable but that's just my taste.

That's because Codies F1 games don't natively support modding, so the community has to use a workaround and replace an existing car with a mod. With proper modding games like rFactor, AC and the old EA F1 games it works like an expansion pack. You just keep adding new stuff without replacing anything.

Apologies if this has been said, I've not read all 7 pages but this thread just caught my eye. If CM lost the F1 rights, there is a high chance you would have no F1 game at all. The rights are expensive and between 2006 and 2009 the rights were there for the taking, nobody wanted it. EA weren't interested, Sony didn't want it to continue. If CM didn't step in and buy the license, you probably still wouldn't have seen one and as I say, if they decided to end their licensing with FOM there is no guarantee another dev would want to pick it up.

If no one picks it up, would it maybe make it easier to get sublicenses for individual cars? Maybe we can see the Ferrari F1s return to Gran Turismo for example. I wonder how Forza got their hands on several F1 cars at the same time though (Senna MP4, Lauda's Ferrari, Hunt's McLaren and Lotus 2013 I believe).

I doubt any racing car developer will make it better.

After the PS2/GCN/Xbox era of racing games, developers started to focus on excelling on 1-3 categories instead of doing good in all categories. Sure what they focused on was fantastic but everything else was very subpar and doesn't make it look like the future of racing games and sometimes made it looked worst. I still feel like the PS2/GCN/Xbox racing games feature more to do than any PS3/PS4/360/ONE/Wii/WiiU racing game.

Though this likely comes from racing games getting so much more harder to be made and we expect them to make an amazing experience in 1-3 Years yet the developers likely need 6-7 Years to make the proper next-gen Racing Game we've been craving since PS3/360 were announced and sadly this doesn't work in F1s favour as it is a yearly thing.

After the PS2/GCN/Xbox era of racing games, developers started to focus on excelling on 1-3 categories instead of doing good in all categories. Sure what they focused on was fantastic but everything else was very subpar and doesn't make it look like the future of racing games and sometimes made it looked worst. I still feel like the PS2/GCN/Xbox racing games feature more to do than any PS3/PS4/360/ONE/Wii/WiiU racing game.

Though this likely comes from racing games getting so much more harder to be made and we expect them to make an amazing experience in 1-3 Years yet the developers likely need 6-7 Years to make the proper next-gen Racing Game we've been craving since PS3/360 were announced and sadly this doesn't work in F1s favour as it is a yearly thing.

I kinda feel the same way as well. Games these days are exponentially harder and longer to make due to graphics, but in return we get less content and features as all of development time is consumed by modelling. I feel like the graphics master race should be capped at PS3 generation, and the focus after this should be making gaming more innovative again.

Yearly games suffer the worst as there is practically no time for any other development besides modelling cars. In PS3 generation 2 years is a reasonable time. For PS4 it might be 3-4 years but obviously the general masses wouldn't wait that long between games *cue complains about PD's delays*

I still love good graphics and I am amazed at how games look nowadays, but if I have to choose between graphics vs content/gameplay I'd choose the latter 10 times out of 10. Unfortunately it's much harder to go back once you've been spoiled, and the console you grew up with will be your tolerable "minimum" graphics. I'm ok with PS1 level graphics, but kids these days are going to look at PS2 and be like :yuck:

I beg the differ, one name, Geoff Crammond.

Still made what is IMO the best f1 sims of all time, gp2 is still the most realistic to date.
Yeah but that doesn't address the issue of time scales in the post you quoted because it's in the PS2 era, rather than the overly photorealistic PS4 era which means Codies and every other developer out there would be constricted to their time scales for new releases especially now Codies is releasing after season updates to games now (F1 2015 has had liveries and cars modified to fit their final spec)

Probably not. Bernie would still control the licenses for all except Ferrari.

This is seemingly one of those misconceptions that doesn't go away.

FOM own the commercial rights to the FIA Formula One World Championship. If you want to depict the championship and Formula 1 Racing, you need a license from them.

The teams however own the rights to their own cars and can license them accordingly, but they can only be driven individually. Either as the only car on track or if they race, against identical clones of the same car or possibly cars from other series. If they were to race against any other F1 cars however it would be considered Formula 1 racing, and you can't do that without the FOM license. This has allowed several cars to appear in games. Off the top of my head:

Marussia MR02 in rFactor2
Williams FW31 in iRacing
Ferrari's in GT5
Ferrari in their own Ferrari Virtual Academy
McLaren MP4-25,26,27,28,29 in SimRaceWay
Lotus E23 in Forza 5/6

As I say it seems to be a misconception that only Ferrari control the rights to their own cars. Clearly they all do, right down to the newest team on the grid, Marussia. With historical cars things get a little different, and I'm not totally 100% sure how it works. Pre-1981 I believe is the cut off where things change, as that is when commercial rights were decided between FOCA and FISA.

FOM own the commercial rights to the FIA Formula One World Championship. If you want to depict the championship and Formula 1 Racing, you need a license from them.

The teams however own the rights to their own cars and can license them accordingly, but they can only be driven individually. Either as the only car on track or if they race, against identical clones of the same car or possibly cars from other series. If they were to race against any other F1 cars however it would be considered Formula 1 racing, and you can't do that without the FOM license. This has allowed several cars to appear in games. Off the top of my head:

Williams FW31 in iRacing
Ferrari's in GT5
Lotus E23 in Forza 5/6

As I say it seems to be a misconception that only Ferrari control the rights to their own cars. Clearly they all do, right down to the newest team on the grid, Marussia. With historical cars things get a little different, and I'm not totally 100% sure how it works. Pre-1981 I believe is the cut off where things change, as that is when commercial rights were decided between FOCA and FISA.
I'm guessing that is why GT6 doesn't have the F1 Ferrari's because they have Senna's F1?

Williams FW31 in iRacing
Ferrari's in GT5
Lotus E23 in Forza 5/6

Don't forget the BMW Sauber F1 2007 in rFactor1 and BMW Sauber F1 2006 in LFS (year might be wrong, don't quote me on that).

It's a bit weird though because you can race F2007 against F10 in GT5. I know they are quite similar but still...

I'm guessing that is why GT6 doesn't have the F1 Ferrari's because they have Senna's F1?

That wouldn't make sense because Forza has added the McLaren MP4/4 and also have a recent Lotus F1. As long as they are not racing directly on the same track I think there's some leeway to the licensing.

No I meant it was supposed to be a full on senna type career mode or something, I might be wrong or misinterpreted it.

Williams FW31 in iRacing
Ferrari's in GT5
Lotus E23 in Forza 5/6

iRacing is also getting the McLaren MP4-30 whenever the servers come back up.

mclaren.jpg

http://www.iracing.com/nurburgring-...nal-enhancedaudiovisuals-highlight-new-build/

Shame it's one of the worst cars on the grid, but proper modern F1 car built by iRacing... :drool::drool::drool:

Are they going to simulate DNF rate of 99% every race? :P

Yes. It's highly accurately simulated such that when you click "Enter Race" it shows a pop up with a random mechanical failure, and a recommendation to go back to the trailer, have an icecream and punt a puppy. :P

Actually the chassis wasn't that bad, apparently it was the 3rd or 4th best chassis just there serious lack in hp and reliability didn't favour good results. You could tell through high speed corners at Silverstone,spa and such that it was a very stable and drivable chassis.

No, I think it is simply that the Ferrari's were licensed for one game and it wasn't extended into GT6. There is no reason they couldn't exist on the same game as another F1 car, they just couldn't race each other.

It's a bit weird though because you can race F2007 against F10 in GT5. I know they are quite similar but still...

Yeah that is ok because they're from the same team, and "F1 racing" requires more than one team.

So I recieve a warning point or poor grammar and a difference in opinion? If that's the case, how fair is that? And another thing, how do you know what ea said to me? Or what my brother said to me? All you have to do is google it and you'll see the outrage this has caused, I can't beleive this, critised for relevant info I have received and know is true. Ohh I also thought double posting wasn't allowed, where is the moderation for that? Excuse my frustration but I feel Iam being picked on now.

No, you received a warning for bypassing the swear filter. The title "Bypassing Swear Filter" should make this clear.

I don't know what "EA" said to you. I don't believe the story, as it's very unlikely that not only someone who works for EA would say such a thing, but that you apparently know three different people, all tied to the company, all conveniently saying things that corroborate your opinion. I also find it strange someone would work for both EA and Gamestop.

No you misinterpreted the post. My brother worked for ea as a developer for 7 years making sims, NFS, Simpsons and such, my brother in law works for game stop and if you don't believe that's fine atleast I know what was said to me by each individual. you probably don't believe it as its blown your mind that ea doesn't have your best interests at heart it's clear as day if you look at it with a different mindset.

No you misinterpreted the post. My brother worked for ea as a developer for 7 years making sims, NFS, Simpsons and such, my brother in law works for game stop and if you don't believe that's fine atleast I know what was said to me by each individual. you probably don't believe it as its blown your mind that ea doesn't have your best interests at heart it's clear as day if you look at it with a different mindset.
I'd quit while you're ahead, man.

Iam sweet bro, I just don't like people telling me what I know is incorrect that's all, I've had countless of terrible customer service experiences with ea myself and there's a reason they were voted worst company two years in succession.

Back