Who has used the DualShock 2 to defeat Mission 34?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheTaZ
  • 82 comments
  • 5,055 views
Ragnar1211
The point I was making was that in the NTSC version you start at 2'03.000, in PAL you start at 1'55.000. Thereby if you run a 7'09.XXX lap in either case you will finish around 9:12.XXX (NTSC) or 9:04.XXX in PAL.

So if a PAL fellow wants to say he ran good enough to beat the NTSC version - I was just doing the math to prove the time. :)

Where are you getting your information from?, do you have the pal version in your country i'm tipping probably NOT. Where as I do, which saying that you need to run a 9:04.XXX to win is total rubbish. If you look at DAANs M34 video you will note that needs to run sub 9:15.XXX in order to win, I beleive that the video is from the NTSC version.
 
I beat M34 with DS2 and auto (PAL) and my time would have been under the NTSC time if I had not backed off big time when I got to the SL, to make sure I beat the mission.

People talk about the c8 sec diff btw NTSC and PL but there maybe more to it than that, like; what about the other cars ? ie the overtaking points may be different and that can make the test a lot harder or easier.

eg I caught the first car on the back straight (nice) and the second car in the bends after the caroussel (not so nice). So there may be more to the differences than just the lap time.


Steven
 
Ive done it on PAL with DS2 and auto.
I dont really care whether the NTSC version is easier or harder as I dont have it ;)
 
Famine
Welcome to 3 months ago.
Is this reffered to my question??
If so, can't you just give a nice straight answer instead of saying something ":grumpy:" like that.
I never found out which one is the more difficult one,
is that so hard to believe. :) ;)
I don' t have a nice collection like you.
I must have missed it somewhere on this forum the last 3 months. :(
 
marty_one
Where are you getting your information from?, do you have the pal version in your country i'm tipping probably NOT. Where as I do, which saying that you need to run a 9:04.XXX to win is total rubbish. If you look at DAANs M34 video you will note that needs to run sub 9:15.XXX in order to win, I beleive that the video is from the NTSC version.

I believe he was meaning that you would need to run a 9'04.xxx in order to post a time comparable to a NTSC time.

Facts are facts.

NTSC have to wait 2'03.00 to start, PAL have to wait 1'55.00.
 
kikie
Is this reffered to my question??
If so, can't you just give a nice straight answer instead of saying something ":grumpy:" like that.
I never found out which one is the more difficult one,
is that so hard to believe. :) ;)
I don' t have a nice collection like you.
I must have missed it somewhere on this forum the last 3 months. :(

Try the Mission Hall thread.


And Ragnor is, of course, correct. NTSC users must sit on the line for 8s more than PAL users. So a person pulling a 9'14 lap in PAL would pull a 9'22 lap in NTSC and thus wouldn't win. In order to win the NTSC version you must run a 9'14 lap which would be the same as a PAL person doing a 9'06 lap.
 
Famine
Try the Mission Hall thread.


And Ragnor is, of course, correct. NTSC users must sit on the line for 8s more than PAL users. So a person pulling a 9'14 lap in PAL would pull a 9'22 lap in NTSC and thus wouldn't win. In order to win the NTSC version you must run a 9'14 lap which would be the same as a PAL person doing a 9'06 lap.

Has anyone with the PAL version ever achieved a 9'06 in mission 34???, i would think that would be almost impossible, i ran a very clean lap and won on about my 12th attempt or something with a 9'14!!! fair enough the NTSC version is 8 secs at a Disadvantage but id think there is something on the driving that adds to their Advantage - i read all about this a while back, is the Japanese version different again??? and why would PD make it harder for everyone apart from PAL not as if we are not as good at GT as anyone else.

forgot to add that i done mission 34 with the DS2
 
Best verifiable PAL time I've come across is 9'10. Someone is claiming an 8'57, but right now I'm calling that ass-mass.
 
Famine
Best verifiable PAL time I've come across is 9'10. Someone is claiming an 8'57, but right now I'm calling that ass-mass.

that would be impossible, no way! even after i passed i tried to get a better time and i failed! so wats the difference then? why would there be a difference? its all strange
 
I finished in 9'04.160 on Pal with a far from perfect run. 8'57 would be possible.
 
i have played it with my DS2
 
GT-Kongen
I finished in 9'04.160 on Pal with a far from perfect run. 8'57 would be possible.

That is a great time! Congrats.

Did you save the replay?
 
GT-Kongen
I finished in 9'04.160 on Pal with a far from perfect run. 8'57 would be possible.

prove it then, an 8'57 with that pile of crap!!! dont make me laugh
 
Hey guys

I'm new to this board, but my question was - is the game easier with a steering wheel as opposed to the dual shock? I've always played GT with a dual shock but it does get frustrating when I totally suck at my lap times lol. I haven'r tried mission 34 yet, but it sounds hard enough already so I'm just wondering if I should look at investing in the steering wheel.
 
A good wheel driver should be quicker than a good DS2 driver. Though it isn't always the case.

"Easier" doesn't enter into it - although I believe that when you get it wrong it's easier to get it back again with a DS2 than a wheel.
 
I purchased the wheel looking for a fun time. I tried it for two days and went back to the DS. I just cant get the wheel to feel right the car wanders around when you try to keep a racing line going. Yes, I killed R34 with DS, much grass, wall riding, @#*! words and about 8 hrs. :ouch:
 
I just need more practice then :) I'm wanting to finish the S-license and get all silvers in I-A so I can get that GTR-Concept
 
I use a wheel and tried it for about 4 times. The closest I got was the 3 rd place. :ouch: I still have to practice a lot to beat mission 34.
 
TheTaZ
I have seen many threads and some videos regarding this difficult mission. I have not been able to determine from them if people are beating the Mission 34 (NTSC) with the DS2.

I know from watching the videos and reading some of the write-ups that many who have beat Mission 34 are using a DFP. I can tell because you can see in many corners the use of both brakes and gas. Is this called trail braking? If not, what is trail braking. Many write-ups say it is necessary to use trail braking with the Maclaren. Either way this is very hard with a DS2. I use the buttons and I have a hard time controlling both brake and gas with my thumb. I would love to get a DFP, but I don't see how I can geone in the middle of my family room without any complaint from my wife.

If anyone has specific tips for beating this mission with the DS2 or a video of a run using the DS2 that would be even better.

I have done it. It took me a S**t load of time but practice will get you there in the end. :)

PS: You can only afford to get a 5 sec penalty twice. If you get it more than that then you will fail. Take a perfect racing line as well. That will also help a lot :)
 
shaunsund
I have done it. It took me a S**t load of time but practice will get you there in the end. :)

PS: You can only afford to get a 5 sec penalty twice. If you get it more than that then you will fail.

What do you mean, ONLY? I race a pretty good line, but I know if I get one of those, it should make my chances of winning extremely low or impossible
 
slotcarrod
I purchased the wheel looking for a fun time. I tried it for two days and went back to the DS. I just cant get the wheel to feel right the car wanders around when you try to keep a racing line going. Yes, I killed R34 with DS, much grass, wall riding, @#*! words and about 8 hrs. :ouch:


My favorite settins with the DFP are:

60% force feedback
900 degrees (of course)
sloppy center

I find it very managable with these settings.
 
I just beat mission 34 this morning. Took me 6 hours (5 yesterday 1 today), but i beat it. It was with the DS2, who said u needed the DFP? I have 2 DFP's but dont use em. My surge protector things are full too. My room is all wired up so yea. Besides i find the DS2 to be better in reation to making turns. Both are good, just need to get used to either or. :dopey: :dopey:
 
Supren
I just beat mission 34 this morning. Took me 6 hours (5 yesterday 1 today), but i beat it. It was with the DS2, who said u needed the DFP? I have 2 DFP's but dont use em. My surge protector things are full too. My room is all wired up so yea. Besides i find the DS2 to be better in reation to making turns. Both are good, just need to get used to either or. :dopey: :dopey:


No offense but anyone that says playing with the DS2 is better is either under 16 and has never driven or is a bad driver in RL.

I couldnt imagine doing an enduro with the DS2 it would be soo boring.
 
THis question may have been already answered early in this thread or another, but I'm just too lazy to go searching. I was wonderering if there was any video of Mission 34 being beaten in the NTSC version? I saw the PAL Mission 34 video, and I could have beaten that driver at almost every turn, and yet I still can't beat it! A video or at least some slpit times would be much appreciated
 
I beat Mission 34, US version, 123 seconds wait, using a DS2 controller, auto transmission and didn't use the R2 button.

But it took me 2 months to beat it though..... :crazy:
 
Ragnar1211
No offense but anyone that says playing with the DS2 is better is either under 16 and has never driven or is a bad driver in RL.

I couldnt imagine doing an enduro with the DS2 it would be soo boring.

er i don't really agree. I used a DS2 and I owned a DFP too but I just can't get used to the DFP (maybe because i have been using the DS2 to play GT3 for a few years). I am over 16, I drove 50 miles a day and I don't consider myself a bad driver in RL....
 
I'm sure its much more funner or u feel more in control of the car with a steering wheel. But this is GT4 anything is xceptable, in real life i agree w/ you i wouldnt like to race with a remote. 👎
 
Ragnar1211
No offense but anyone that says playing with the DS2 is better is either under 16 and has never driven or is a bad driver in RL.

I couldnt imagine doing an enduro with the DS2 it would be soo boring.

Well, that's a rather sweeping statement.

Certainly the DFP has more "feel" to it, but you can turn faster with the DS2 and if you bin it you can leave the controller alone and it'll centre the wheels automatically - making crash recovery an awful lot easier.

It all depends on what you mean by "better". "Better" as in "easier to drive with"? DS2 wins. "Better" as in "more realistic"? DS2 loses. But then you're playing a computer game with no gravity, no inertia, no lateral acceleration, no clutch and no consequences - what IS "more realistic" in this arena?


And, as you can see by my signature, I've done 6 endurances - including the Nurburgring 24 Hour Race - all in A-spec, all with the DS2.
 
barryl85
prove it then, an 8'57 with that pile of crap!!! dont make me laugh

I dont have the patience to practice for a 8'57 time, but I think its possible.

Here´s a picture of my time
mester-Mission34AK.JPG


The video is here http://d2567031.u52.surftown.dk/
 
Back