Who has used the DualShock 2 to defeat Mission 34?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheTaZ
  • 82 comments
  • 5,055 views
I beat it with a DS2
 
I did it with DS2 and d-pad none of this high tech joystick fandangle :)
 
speedy_samurai
I believe he was meaning that you would need to run a 9'04.xxx in order to post a time comparable to a NTSC time.

Facts are facts.

NTSC have to wait 2'03.00 to start, PAL have to wait 1'55.00.

I think that you have your times mixed up as the pal version you have to wait the 2'03.00 to start. It has been stated in other threads that the pal version has been made slightly harder than the ntsc version.

GT-Kongen has proved that you can run a 9'04.XXX lap. the second place car has finished some 14 seconds after he/she has finished the lap.
 
marty_one
I think that you have your times mixed up as the pal version you have to wait the 2'03.00 to start. It has been stated in other threads that the pal version has been made slightly harder than the ntsc version.

GT-Kongen has proved that you can run a 9'04.XXX lap. the second place car has finished some 14 seconds after he/she has finished the lap.

I disagree and do not have my times mixed up.
 
speedy_samurai
I disagree and do not have my times mixed up.

Then why does the PAL version (which I have because i live in australia) make me wait 2'03.00 before I can start then??
 
marty_one
Then why does the PAL version (which I have because i live in australia) make me wait 2'03.00 before I can start then??

and why does the NTSC version, which I have in japan, make you wait 2'03.00? Ask someone from Europe how long they waited..
 
marty_one
Then why does the PAL version (which I have because i live in australia) make me wait 2'03.00 before I can start then??

He's not referring specifically to the PAL version YOU own, but the PAL version that makes people wait an entire 8 seconds less in the beginning of the countdown (aside from the whole "its harder to handle debate", assuming the two cars handle the same, it makes a huge impact on the outcome of the race and room for error).
 
***OK HEAR THIS!!!!*** i live in scotland and have the PAL version and in Mission 34 the waiting time is 118 seconds thats 1'58 seconds i didnt realise this, i thought because i had the pal it must have been the 115 second verion i had so i checked it last nite after posting on this forum, any one else seen this? havent heard anyone mention this before
 
The (PAL) clock starts at 118 secs but the SL goes at 115 secs. ie 8 secs later than the NTSC version. Not sure whether the car is different though. Has anyone played both versions and care to comment (unless it elsewhere already).


Steven
 
Mission 34 (PAL version, Europe).

Mission starts at 118 sec.

- 300 SL coupe '54 starts at 115 sec: 0'00.380, when he lifts off.

- SLK 230 Kompressor '98 starts at 105 sec: 0'10.360 when he lifts off.

- 190E 2.5-16 EVO II '91 starts at 85 sec: 0'30.380 when he lifts off.

- SL500 (R230) '02 starts at 59 sec: 0'56.380 when he lifts off.

- SL65 AMG (R230) '04 starts at 25 sec: 1'30.380 when he lifts off.

- 1'55.380 when I could start with the Mclaren.
 
Famine
Well, that's a rather sweeping statement.

Certainly the DFP has more "feel" to it, but you can turn faster with the DS2 and if you bin it you can leave the controller alone and it'll centre the wheels automatically - making crash recovery an awful lot easier.

It all depends on what you mean by "better". "Better" as in "easier to drive with"? DS2 wins. "Better" as in "more realistic"? DS2 loses. But then you're playing a computer game with no gravity, no inertia, no lateral acceleration, no clutch and no consequences - what IS "more realistic" in this arena?


And, as you can see by my signature, I've done 6 endurances - including the Nurburgring 24 Hour Race - all in A-spec, all with the DS2.

I knew when I made my statement it was a little misleading and probably argumentative...

I meant driving with the wheel is just more fun, and feels more realistic than the DS2. I was getting so bored with moving the tiny little joystick to steer and accelerate! But yes it is likely harder to get better times in the begining with the DFP compared to the DS2 - but that also is realistic. Where in real life can you instantly go from wheels not turned to wheels fully turned? No wonder DS2 times are slightly better.

When watching the video's of people in RL going through the 'Ring I was amazed at how similar it felt to GT4. This just proved to me how much more realistic the DFP makes the game.

Obviously it is still a game. No g-force, no sense of traction, no fear of injury or death. So let's have fun and play it whatever way inspires us the most!
 
have I beaten mission 34 with the ds2, nope but I've got it planned for this weekend.
hopefully will post back on Monday with results.

laters
 
havent beat it yet but i am using the DS2 and i think its a pain the only way that i can see the first place car is if i dont slow down at the last part, but then i crash.
 
katana87
havent beat it yet but i am using the DS2 and i think its a pain the only way that i can see the first place car is if i dont slow down at the last part, but then i crash.
The 4 or 5 times I beat M34 (203 second wait), I didn't see the first place car until the very end neither, but I still made it past the finish line in first. Keep in mind that the first place car is very slow compared to your car. Just because it's in first place doesn't necessarily mean it's going to beat you. 2 or 3 times that I remember beating the mission, I remember taking first place right after the last turn or just before the finish line. Don't worry if you can't see it after the long straight, just keep racing your SLR as you normally would and don't think about how far away the finish line is.
 
sumbodycool
What do you mean, ONLY? I race a pretty good line, but I know if I get one of those, it should make my chances of winning extremely low or impossible

I've tested and verified it.(it may not be the same case with other people) I was thinking alright this is the last time i'm going
to do this mission or forget it. I accidentally hit the SL65 and SL600 or SL55 twice.
I won but only narrowly. I beat the 300SL by 2 seconds :)
 
I used a DS2 with the NTSC version of GT4. I beat the Gullwing by 2.5 seconds. I had to go with automatic transmission on Mission 34 because I was making too many shifting mistakes. Look at a Mission 34 video and you'll see that you don't really need to be precise. Reckless will do just fine to win.

I'm having two final Gold license problems though. A BMW cone slalom race and a RC92 Sarthe race. My thumbs are not yet good enough. For shame.
 
SirBerra
I used a DS2 with the NTSC version of GT4. I beat the Gullwing by 2.5 seconds. I had to go with automatic transmission on Mission 34 because I was making too many shifting mistakes. Look at a Mission 34 video and you'll see that you don't really need to be precise. Reckless will do just fine to win.

I'm having two final Gold license problems though. A BMW cone slalom race and a RC92 Sarthe race. My thumbs are not yet good enough. For shame.

Same here I used automatic gearbox format
 
I beat mission 34 (NA version) with my humble DS2 and in automatic, no less. It took me a whole afternoon of lost attempts to get it, but I was proud of myself. It was the toughest thing I had to do in a GT game up now.
 
Lambo88
I beat mission 34 (NA version) with my humble DS2 and in automatic, no less. It took me a whole afternoon of lost attempts to get it, but I was proud of myself. It was the toughest thing I had to do in a GT game up now.

It took me about 5 times :)
 
shaunsund
It took me about 5 times :)


It only took me about 50 times of complete runs. Not counting the many aborted tries. That's what I got for staying on the blacktop as much as possible.
 
I tried mission 34 again using the DS2. Now i had an even better time because
i beat the 300SL by 5.639 seconds :) :)
 
shaunsund
It took me about 5 times :)

because you have the pal version. You would still be trying to win if you had the harder NTSC.
 
speedy_samurai
because you have the pal version. You would still be trying to win if you had the harder NTSC.

Ditto - I'm still trying NTSC and I am down to 5 seconds! - good enought for Pal though...
 
Back