Who here uses Left-foot braking in real life racing and GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheYaShoe
  • 75 comments
  • 5,528 views
I use left foot braking in GT.
But that's just because there are 2 pedals on the DFGT ;)
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpqTZ6WeJk
(slightly loud)
This is an interesting watch about left foot braking on a race track in a V8 Supercar

Yea, honestly when it comes to the track, whatever your more comfortable and faster with is the better choice for example; someone who had been right foot braking and hitting a heavy clutch with his left foot for 30 years will never be able to completely adapt to left foot braking and be faster then he would be if he was using his right foot. It's all experience and preference.
 
I use left foot braking in GT.
But that's just because there are 2 pedals on the DFGT ;)

See, my friend also has the DFGT and he foot brakes because he won't see the point on trying left foot braking because " it's useless and stupid"
 
Jesus Christ. I wish, i want to visit there atleast once, with a decent RWD or 4WD car for some extra fun. And honestly, you guys do have the nicest roads, im not one with the experiance but from what ive heard, read and seen. It does not compare to anything anywhere else. Next on the list would be The Alps with their constant hairpins and twisty roads. Gravel + Twisty + Momentum = HUGE FUN!👍:)

Also huge death, if you drive anything like me.
 
Left foot breaking in real life daily driving is a terrible habbit.

In video games, perfectly fine lol. I do it.

I also do it when I'm offroading in my truck.
 
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of real life racers on here. There are a few... but I wish there were more.

I use left foot braking to get heat into the pads and rotors while on pace laps. Once we're up to speed and racing, I rarely use left foot braking.

I will get another in-car camera this year, and point it at my feet. Left foot braking, heel-toe/rev matching just happens naturally... I'd like to see it with some picture in picture. It might make for some cool videos.

In my real race car, I would love to be able to LFB. My car is FWD, and anything I can do to keep weight on the front wheels is beneficial to me. Unfortunately, pedals are my weak point and I often find myself loosing track of my feet in the heat of the moment. Two feet and three pedals is a lot harder IRL than in GT5, in my experience lol. As a result, I RFB.

I'm doing the 3-day Advanced School at Skip Barber (Laguna Seca) in about 6 weeks though, and I plan to work diligently on braking with either foot as I do in GT5.
 
I've been left foot braking since I got a two-pedal Driving Force wheel for GT3. Having two feet on the pedals helped keep them from moving, and it just seemed to make sense that there is less time delay if each foot handles one pedal instead of moving back and forth. That and what's the point of having one foot just sitting around doing nothing?

At the time I really had no idea how to heel-toe, and to this day I still can't do it well. Left foot braking was also frequently discussed as a new-ish trend in F1 at the time as well, which was most of the racing I watched then.

I finally got a wheel with a clutch and began to learn to brake with my right foot in rFactor but then I discovered to my dismay that PD thinks no one could ever want to use the clutch without an H-pattern shifter and so won't let anyone do so. So back to left-footing it. It also seems I'm not missing much by not getting to enjoy GT5's wonderful clutch/H-pat system.

I'm reluctant to try heel-toeing in GT5 because the brake is so sensitive and tricky. I'm also reluctant to try learning in any other game because I need to brake so hard I'm usually risking lifting my chair off the ground to get anywhere near useful braking. I also haven't spent that much time getting used to the clutch that I want to complicate matters any further.


The only time I ever left-foot brake in a real car is when I am momentarily unaware of the fact that I'm driving a ridiculous car that doesn't have one. That never ends well. :)
 
I race a Mod Lite which is a 1100# rocket with a zx-12 Kawasaki motorcycle motor.

Left foot braking all the way for me.

I have raced gokarts for 35 years.
 
It's called heel toe, brake and clutch left foot,gas for the right.My father taught me that on an old Volkswagon beetle.
 
Left foot breaking in real life daily driving is a terrible habbit.

In video games, perfectly fine lol. I do it.

I also do it when I'm offroading in my truck.

Well, not really. As long as your not actually using hem at the same time on the road then t shouldn't be too bad.
 
It's called heel toe, brake and clutch left foot,gas for the right.My father taught me that on an old Volkswagon beetle.

Heel and toe is generally considered in racing to mean the other way round - left for the clutch, right for the brake and gas. Not saying that your technique is wrong, just that that is what most people mean when they use the term.

Of course, I was introduced to heel-toe as being a technique used only for starting a car on a hill, which is rather a bit different yet again but still with the right foot on two pedals(also a technique which seems completely useless to me once I learned how to control my foot).
 
In my real race car, I would love to be able to LFB. My car is FWD, and anything I can do to keep weight on the front wheels is beneficial to me. Unfortunately, pedals are my weak point and I often find myself loosing track of my feet in the heat of the moment. Two feet and three pedals is a lot harder IRL than in GT5, in my experience lol. As a result, I RFB.

I'm doing the 3-day Advanced School at Skip Barber (Laguna Seca) in about 6 weeks though, and I plan to work diligently on braking with either foot as I do in GT5.

That sucks, do you mind me asking what car you have and if you have done any mods( what mods if you do)

Also have fun at the trip.

Yea it's always good to know how to properly brake with both feet.
 
I've been left foot braking since I got a two-pedal Driving Force wheel for GT3. Having two feet on the pedals helped keep them from moving, and it just seemed to make sense that there is less time delay if each foot handles one pedal instead of moving back and forth. That and what's the point of having one foot just sitting around doing nothing?

At the time I really had no idea how to heel-toe, and to this day I still can't do it well. Left foot braking was also frequently discussed as a new-ish trend in F1 at the time as well, which was most of the racing I watched then.

I finally got a wheel with a clutch and began to learn to brake with my right foot in rFactor but then I discovered to my dismay that PD thinks no one could ever want to use the clutch without an H-pattern shifter and so won't let anyone do so. So back to left-footing it. It also seems I'm not missing much by not getting to enjoy GT5's wonderful clutch/H-pat system.

I'm reluctant to try heel-toeing in GT5 because the brake is so sensitive and tricky. I'm also reluctant to try learning in any other game because I need to brake so hard I'm usually risking lifting my chair off the ground to get anywhere near useful braking. I also haven't spent that much time getting used to the clutch that I want to complicate matters any further.

The only time I ever left-foot brake in a real car is when I am momentarily unaware of the fact that I'm driving a ridiculous car that doesn't have one. That never ends well. :)

I only play in manual( with clutch) on gt5. And I've gotten to the point of me being faster using lfb and some heel toe then I am with sequential or paddle shifters. I guess it's just me having more using Manuel and because of my happier mental state I do better(?)
 
It's called heel toe, brake and clutch left foot,gas for the right.My father taught me that on an old Volkswagon beetle.

Yea, heel toe and left foot braking are different though. I think I didn't quite understand your point:confused:
 
That sucks, do you mind me asking what car you have and if you have done any mods( what mods if you do)

Also have fun at the trip.

Yea it's always good to know how to properly brake with both feet.

Thanks for the well wishes.

The car was a Ford Festiva.

Now it's a Festiva shell with a giant motor, enormous brakes, adjustable coilovers, massive tires, a roll cage and several other goodies. It goes good 👍
 
... I'm doing the 3-day Advanced School at Skip Barber (Laguna Seca) in about 6 weeks though, and I plan to work diligently on braking with either foot as I do in GT5.

Nice! Go get 'em!
 
Thanks for the well wishes.

The car was a Ford Festiva.

Now it's a Festiva shell with a giant motor, enormous brakes, adjustable coilovers, massive tires, a roll cage and several other goodies. It goes good 👍

Woah! It's a track car ? Turn it into a rally car haha sounds like an unreal drive.
 
Thanks for the well wishes.

The car was a Ford Festiva.

Now it's a Festiva shell with a giant motor, enormous brakes, adjustable coilovers, massive tires, a roll cage and several other goodies. It goes good 👍

What motor did you put in it?
 
I can LFB in a real car.

I taught myself to toe n heel almost straight after I'd passed my test (back in 1985) - it took a few months for it to become 2nd nature, but ever since I've struggled not to do it as it's become a habit.

Most of my early cars were RWD so LFB wasn't really needed, but when I got my 1st quickish FWD car in 1988 (a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia) I started to try LFB. It took a looooong time for it to become natural, but eventually you learn the sensitivity with your 'wrong foot'.

It's difficult to do in a 3 pedal car though, as it makes downchanges tricky... so I taught myself to change gear without the clutch, which is relatively easy in a lot of cars when you get a feel for how much you need to pick up the revs - it was a company car, so I wasn't too bothered about damaging the gearbox, but I never did.

I used LFB almost all the time through the 90's and early 00's when I was covering 40-50k miles a year and driving like a loon everywhere. I gave it up briefly when I had a Sierra for a couple of years, picked it back up for the A3, 156 & Impreza and then pretty much gave it up completely in 2005 when I got a BMW 120d and slowed down a bit :D

I've had FWD diesel cars for the most part since then, and they don't really lend themselves to the sort of driving that requires a left foot on the brake, though my wife did have a TT for a while that really liked a bit of left foot to help it turn in and reduce lag.

Now I have a DS5 and a 996, neither of which really respond to LFB, but I reckon I could pick it up again in the right car - a petrol FWD or 4WD.

If you're going to try it you should really teach yourself to toe n heel 1st. If you can do that properly without ever having to think about it, then try LFB. I started by just using my left foot to do gentle slowing down, to learn the feel for the pedal. Ideally, you want a car with minimal servo assistance - tricky, as most cars have stupidly overservoed brakes nowadays.

And becareful ;)
 
I can LFB in a real car.

I taught myself to toe n heel almost straight after I'd passed my test (back in 1985) - it took a few months for it to become 2nd nature, but ever since I've struggled not to do it as it's become a habit.

Most of my early cars were RWD so LFB wasn't really needed, but when I got my 1st quickish FWD car in 1988 (a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia) I started to try LFB. It took a looooong time for it to become natural, but eventually you learn the sensitivity with your 'wrong foot'.

It's difficult to do in a 3 pedal car though, as it makes downchanges tricky... so I taught myself to change gear without the clutch, which is relatively easy in a lot of cars when you get a feel for how much you need to pick up the revs - it was a company car, so I wasn't too bothered about damaging the gearbox, but I never did.

I used LFB almost all the time through the 90's and early 00's when I was covering 40-50k miles a year and driving like a loon everywhere. I gave it up briefly when I had a Sierra for a couple of years, picked it back up for the A3, 156 & Impreza and then pretty much gave it up completely in 2005 when I got a BMW 120d and slowed down a bit :D

I've had FWD diesel cars for the most part since then, and they don't really lend themselves to the sort of driving that requires a left foot on the brake, though my wife did have a TT for a while that really liked a bit of left foot to help it turn in and reduce lag.

Now I have a DS5 and a 996, neither of which really respond to LFB, but I reckon I could pick it up again in the right car - a petrol FWD or 4WD.

If you're going to try it you should really teach yourself to toe n heel 1st. If you can do that properly without ever having to think about it, then try LFB. I started by just using my left foot to do gentle slowing down, to learn the feel for the pedal. Ideally, you want a car with minimal servo assistance - tricky, as most cars have stupidly overservoed brakes nowadays.

And becareful ;)

Quite the story you got there. Yes, it is not really needed in RWD cars because of obvious reasons but heel toe is important to know how to do.. Honestly i learned both at the same time but it came naturally so I'm not sure if I just have a thing for cars because most people can't do either with lots of practice.. I really haate when people say that all the maneuvers(heel toe, lfb) are stupid and useless and im just burning the clutch and ruining the brakes and that they'll go mch quicker just doing everything right foot and no heel toe.. It hurts my ears.:ouch:
 
What motor did you put in it?

Its a DOHC Mazda engine. Perhaps giant wasnt the right adjective, but compared to the stock 50hp, it's quite an improvement.
 
Its a DOHC Mazda engine. Perhaps giant wasnt the right adjective, but compared to the stock 50hp, it's quite an improvement.

Haha yeah I was thinking "How on earth did you get a massive motor into that tiny engine bay" because when I think "Massive" I think 3 liter minimum :P

Is it a FE-DOHC?
 
I use the game to hone my skills so since i dont use left foot braking on the track in real life i dont really use it in the game except on the redbull car and maybe the formula GT or Ferarri F1 cars
 
I use both styles depending on car type and track.
 
I'm pretty sure why left foot braking is frowned upon in driving class or on the street is due to the left foot not being accustomed to applying the brakes in a smooth manner since it is mainly used to actuate the clutch pedal or, in the case of automatics, not used at all. The main benefit I can see from using left foot braking is not for actual braking, but applying the brakes just enough to shift the weight to the front of the car to reduce understeer. Because of this FF cars will benefit the most from this. This actually involves engaging both the gas and brake pedal at the same time. It's an alternative to lifting off the gas pedal since you get to keep your revs up and it also allows for better modulation of slip angles.

Keep in mind that you may not be able to use left foot braking at all on modern cars since cars may now have a fuel cutoff system if both the brake pedal and gas pedal are pressed at the same time.
 
Last edited:
Heal to toe if clutch, left brake if not lol. Though I aint got a wheel and I use x for gas and square for brakes. Without ABS :)
 
I used to left foot brake all the time till I started driving manual cars. I had built up the required sensitivity from using the Microsoft FFB Wheel for 3+years.
 
Honestly I think it should be whoever is best with whatever and they should let you pass the course as long as you drove well. Just my opinions though.
 
I have never braked with my left foot and I can't think of anyone I know who does. I do however do this while using my dfgt :sly:
 
In real life. I left foot brake ALL automatic transmission cars I drive. All my personal vehicles are manuel shift. When I drive any automatic my right foot needs something to do, so I brake with it. 👍 Otherwise I find myself going for the clutch (even though it's not there.:dunce:). Sometimes even reaching for the shifter.:guilty::dunce:.

It has nothing to do with transfer of weight, just boredom.:sly:

Currently, the only automatic in my life, is 4WD. It has not been driven in months.:lol:
 
Back