Who here uses Left-foot braking in real life racing and GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheYaShoe
  • 75 comments
  • 5,536 views
I only right foot brake, all the roads here are relatively flat and I usually maintain a cruising speed so I don't really need the "quick reaction" time of using my left foot for braking. I drive both stick and auto, cars! If I'm hill climbing or going downhill, I'd use my left foot to brake.

In GT5 however, I need the extra reaction time so I use my left foot for braking.
 
On the street, when driving in ordinary conditions, there should be no reason to LFB or heel and toe... Of course, I've been doing it the Japanese way, right foot on the brake and blipping the throttle to assist downchanges... Because my left ankle is a miasma of pain, and this way, I can shift without using the clutch. :lol:

The only use I've found for LFB on the street is squeegeeing the pads in the rain. Otherwise, I'm never on the gas or brakes at the same time in an ordinary car, in ordinary driving, because that heats up the brake fluid and pads something nasty. Heck, brake-based vectoring control will sometimes overheat the brakes on track, too.

Dynamically, have never needed to LFB except on track, on cars with excessive turbo or throttle lag, but with many newer electronic throttles, thanks to the Toyota fiasco, even the lightest brush of the brake pedal disengages the gas pedal.


Its a DOHC Mazda engine. Perhaps giant wasnt the right adjective, but compared to the stock 50hp, it's quite an improvement.

1.6 turbo, I hope. those are the only engines that should go in that car. :D Been thinking of picking one up myself. A buddy used to rally the Kia version in the 90's.
 
1.6 turbo, I hope. those are the only engines that should go in that car. :D Been thinking of picking one up myself. A buddy used to rally the Kia version in the 90's.

lol! It's a 1.8BP N/A. Since we do endurance racing (14-18hr races over a weekend), we benefit greatly from increase reliability and fuel efficiency from an N/A motor. An extra 30-40HP would be nice and would improve lap times, but wouldn't improve our finishing position likely.
 
Ah. True. That's probably the best motor for that particular job. Too bad nothing bigger that Mazda built is really all that great for more than a dozen laps without grenading. :lol: The old Protege teams in the SCCA Touring class would go through more motors a year than anyone else.
 
lol! It's a 1.8BP N/A. Since we do endurance racing (14-18hr races over a weekend), we benefit greatly from increase reliability and fuel efficiency from an N/A motor. An extra 30-40HP would be nice and would improve lap times, but wouldn't improve our finishing position likely.

Oh thats one of my dreams.. An endurance race with my friends on a weekend. Get a beater car and put a cage and coil overs then just make everything on the engine side of it a lot stronger.
 
I left foot brake all the time on GT5 (DFGT).

As for real life... When I go out on a spirited drive with my CRX or my brother's Civic, I do everything. On entries I start with LFB then bring up the right to slip the left onto the clutch, blip the throttle to downshift for the turn (If downshifting isn't needed I just LFB), and once I start turning in I bring my right foot to the throttle and very gently feather the brake with the left. Not a lot of braking force is needed. Just enough to act as TC (open diff) and keep the weight balanced mid-corner.

For normal driving around town I just use my right foot.
 
I left foot brake everytime when I'm racing with the paddle shifters in GT5, I have a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel. When driving for pleasure in GT5 using the clutch & h pattern shifter, I use a mixture of right & left foot braking. For instance, everytime I can brake & don't need to shift, I'll use my left foot, but if I need to shift I'll use my right foot to brake.

I used my left foot to brake when I drove a Clio race car at a Palmersport track day in 2009 as it was paddle shift, see my avatar of my posing with it like The Stig, LOL! That was an awesome day out.
 
I left foot brake all the time on GT5 (DFGT).

As for real life... When I go out on a spirited drive with my CRX or my brother's Civic, I do everything. On entries I start with LFB then bring up the right to slip the left onto the clutch, blip the throttle to downshift for the turn (If downshifting isn't needed I just LFB), and once I start turning in I bring my right foot to the throttle and very gently feather the brake with the left. Not a lot of braking force is needed. Just enough to act as TC (open diff) and keep the weight balanced mid-corner.

For normal driving around town I just use my right foot.

Yea, it does act like tc in corners because it constantly keeps everything in check.
 
VBR
I left foot brake everytime when I'm racing with the paddle shifters in GT5, I have a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel. When driving for pleasure in GT5 using the clutch & h pattern shifter, I use a mixture of right & left foot braking. For instance, everytime I can brake & don't need to shift, I'll use my left foot, but if I need to shift I'll use my right foot to brake.

I used my left foot to brake when I drove a Clio race car at a Palmersport track day in 2009 as it was paddle shift, see my avatar of my posing with it like The Stig, LOL! That was an awesome day out.

I have the exact same wheel as you and whenever I'm not actually braking hard and heel toeing then then il be lfbing. It's honestly most useful in fwd cars in the long bends when your under steering. And wow I'm jealous, I wanna drive a full race spec clio.
 
Right foot in gt5 and real life. Since my car in real life is a stick, i need my left foot for the clutch. And using my right foot for the break just came naturally when I got my wheel five months ago.
 
Right foot in gt5 and real life. Since my car in real life is a stick, i need my left foot for the clutch. And using my right foot for the break just came naturally when I got my wheel five months ago.

My car is manuel aswell.. I only have it on the clutch for downshifts and upshifts.. for mid corner braking is my left foot.
 
i use left foot braking if theres no cluch. but if theres a clutch i brake with my right foot
 
In real life, If I'm driving my 300ZXTT I use my right foot to brake 100% due to having a clutch. Same for my 1998 M3. My 2003 M3 is an SMG which has no clutch pedal so I brake with my left foot. My pickup is automatic so I brake with my left foot. I also brake with my right hand and left foot on my motorcycle. If I'm driving a work truck with a manual transmission, well I shift without the clutch so I use my left foot to brake while downshifting as I use my right foot to have to feather the throttle. My theory has always been that if I have two feet, why not utilize them both?

In GT5, though, I use my right index finger on button R1 :))
 
I left foot brake in GT5, and I have learnt to use the clutch and the brake at the same time. Generally this works half of the time.
 
I don't have a car in real life and yes I sometimes use my left foot to break but that's only if im using a FF car, for example there is a tight corner ahead I would break with my left foot but still have my accelerator (pedal to the metal).
 
I've been meaning to try LFB in autocross for a long time, but I'm unwilling to practice on the street. GT5 has actually been really good in that regard. I think when the season starts my body will be un-trained enough from regular braking that I should be able to try it.

Mostly I just want to be able to trailbrake a little easier. Not sure if it's worth it, just an experiment.
 
Back