Who owns a Land Rover????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jondot
  • 26 comments
  • 1,057 views
Messages
6,584
United Kingdom
Kent, UK
Messages
GTP_Jondot
Landrovers are cool. We hgave one. I obviously don't own it as i'm only in my third year at high school ( or year 9 if your english).
Anyway, we have a 2002 Freelander GS in Oslo blue.
What have you got?
 
I'd rather have a Toyota Landcruiser or something:

Better engine
more reliability
more room
better 4WD drive


but at the same I'd rather have a Landrover then an ugly BMW or Merc.



Cheers,
 
Who owns a Land Rover????

People with more money than sense? (: They're really pretty vehicles, and good on the dirt, but for the money there are things I'd rather have.
 
me dads got 2, a '54(i think) series one he just restored over 6 years, hybrid at the mo cos hes still looking for an original engine. and he just got a series 3. used to have a range rover but sold it cos it was drinkin petrol like crazy. land rovers are great, one of the very few 4x4s that can actually go off roading and survive! makes for handy rescues of them naff 4x4-but-really-only-used-for-taking-the-children-to-school Japanese thingys when they get stuck in the tiniest of puddles :lol: most of the old land rovers came with a winch anyway so could save their ass too, though that didnt happen too often
 
how many of you land rover owners go off road in them.
 
GT_Fan2005
how many of you land rover owners go off road in them.


Or more to the point, how many of you with an "SUV" or 4WD of any kind have taken it off the pavement in the past six months?
 
Just bought a P38 1995 4.0SE for 8k a couple of weeks ago.

Coming from a FAST "import", this thing was like night and day. I truly enjoy it, even the little quirky things it does (or doesn't) do, and am still happy with my purchase even though it ate a starter a week after I bought it.

The ride is exceptional, though the 4.0 motor could use a bit more "punch". I have yet to take it off-road for the simple fact that everywhere local is WET right now, and I don't have any friends with the pulling power to yank a 4600lb vehicle from any deep mud. Planning to take it off-road? HELL YES.




LoudMusic
Who owns a Land Rover????

People with more money than sense?

I'm awfully short on both. :dunce:
 
I had one ages ago that I got used, a 1996 Discovery. I also owned a 2002 Range Rover recently. I took both off-road. In fact, the '02 Range Rover served as our only vehicle during three major snowstorms this winter which hampered even the Mercedes SUV we owned at the time.

Trivia: many 1999-2004 Land Rover Discovery VINs started with "SALTY". :D The only redeeming quality of the worst premium SUV on the market...
 
Pink_the_Floyd
I'd rather have a Toyota Landcruiser or something:

Better engine
more reliability
more room
better 4WD drive


but at the same I'd rather have a Landrover then an ugly BMW or Merc.



Cheers,

There is nothing more reliable than a Landrover engine, especially the one in the old Defender, My mates Dad has an old Defender and its done nearly 800,000miles :scared: , it has never broken down and it's been driven all over the world, including the arctic circle and a desert in eygpt, you think a land cruiser would survive that much punishment
 
heh my mate went to go buy a new toyota 4x4 (no i dont know why either) and the dealer nearly fainted when he asked about what it was like on different surfaces, "you mean your gonna take it off road?!!?!" :lol:
 
I have driven a few defenders in work on road construction sites down the same haul roads as the big 40 tonne dumptrucks use and they are fun...... but I have a thing called a right arm which seems to get in the way of the door - so you drive with the window open !
 
Pink_the_Floyd
I'd rather have a Toyota Landcruiser or something:

Better engine

Not true, as pointed out before.

more reliability

Maybe???

more room

Uh I think the only thing bigger then a Land Rover is a Hummer or an Excursion.

better 4WD drive

The only better 4wd system then a land rover's that I've ever seen had to be the Hummer and H2.
 
BlazinXtreme
The only better 4wd system then a land rover's that I've ever seen had to be the ... H2.

:dunce:

You should be a comedian.
 
Your kidding me right? Something that can climb up a 2 foot verticle wall or drive through mud up to it bumper stock is bad? I didn't say I thought they were good vehicles (which they aren't bad, I wouldn't drive one though.)
 
I haven't got a Land Rover. But I see plenty of them. There must be half a dozen defenders, few of them have snorkles. There's a new Discovery at school and there's quite a few older farm used Range Rovers.

There is also a Range Rover Vogue down the road but you wouldn't take that offroad!
 
BlazinXtreme
Your kidding me right? Something that can climb up a 2 foot verticle wall or drive through mud up to it bumper stock is bad? I didn't say I thought they were good vehicles (which they aren't bad, I wouldn't drive one though.)

I'm not kidding at all. An H2 couldn't "climb up a 2 foot verticle wall or drive through mud up to it bumper stock" if its existence depended on it.
 
Uh I've seen it drive up a 2 foot verticle wall at the Milford proving grounds, but I've only seen pictures of it in the mud.
 
http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/index.cfm/aid/139369/action/showarticle

article
The Hummer 2 offers amazing capability off road. The H2 will drive straight up a 16-inch vertical wall from a standstill. It'll drive over a 16-inch diameter log. It can wade through 20 inches of water. It'll easily drive up a wet 60-degree hill, at a 40-degree angle if necessary. We've never driven a big production SUV that was this good off-road.

They say a 16 inch verticle wall, but I've seen it do 2 feet before. And no I can't have a camera out at the proving grounds or any where there could be potential classified models. It's against GM policy.
 
I'd challenge the H2's off-road ability in a heartbeat with my 4.0SE. I have personally seen 2 stuck in moderate conditions that a friend's 4cyl, slightly lifted Jeep made it through.


To show my despise for the usless bohemeth is furthur illustrated by the newly "installed" 'H2 Recovery Vehicle' sticker on the back of my Rover.
 
BlazinXtreme
They say a 16 inch verticle wall, but I've seen it do 2 feet before. And no I can't have a camera out at the proving grounds or any where there could be potential classified models. It's against GM policy.

attachment.php


I can believe 16". Of course, I don't believe they drove over it, like, say, an HMMWV could. Just up it.


As for 2 whole feet? I'd like to believe you. I really would. But I don't.
 

Attachments

  • H2bump.JPG
    H2bump.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 46
Those are easily the worst arrows I've ever seen. Just absolutely awful. :p

But yeah - seems a 24" vertical would cause some body damage not to mention rip up the undercarriage.
 
Well the hummer didn't go over the wall, it just climbed it. And the guy that was driving it dented the skid plate pretty good in the process.
 
BlazinXtreme
Uh I think the only thing bigger then a Land Rover is a Hummer or an Excursion.

Remember that the size of the outside doesn't equate to space on the inside. Ever sat in the driver's seat of an original Hummer? It's tiny. There's more space in my car, and I drive a Rover Mini.

I help out on a farm occsionally, and the farmer has a Land Rover Defender and a Mark 1 Range Rover. Neither are particularly reliable (although they're both modified - the engines are part Land Rover, part TVR, and they have a tendancy to eat gearboxes) but it is awsome off-road. It's been up to it's axles in wet mud, to the point where the exhaust left a trail in the mud, and had no problems getting through. It is true, however, that if I had to take a car off-road for a month or so - say in a desert - that I'd rather take a Landcruiser.
 
M5Power
Those are easily the worst arrows I've ever seen. Just absolutely awful. :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:



;)


BlazinXtreme
Well the hummer didn't go over the wall, it just climbed it. And the guy that was driving it dented the skid plate pretty good in the process.

Well, yeah. Really what you're saying is it can't go up that 2' wall. Which is what I said all along.

To say it can scale this wall at the proving grounds would be analogous to me saying "I could jump off the roof of an office building."

Sure, I "can" do it. But will I die? Most likely.
 
Firebird
I'm not kidding at all. An H2 couldn't "climb up a 2 foot verticle wall or drive through mud up to it bumper stock" if its existence depended on it.

I have to agree with you on this, i saw an episode of top gear, and i can't remember exactly what clarkson said but, i think he drove it onto some grass got out and said this is about as off road as the Hummer H2 can go, and that it's hardly going to take over from the old hummer as a military veihcle
 
i wont ever own one, or an H2, or any SUV with more than 6 cylinders for the sole facts of gas mileage, size, and price

id rather take a subaru or evo for my kind of off-roading :) (i have no interest in any heavy duty offroading)
 
Back