Who Still Plays Need For Speed Underground 2?

• Thread starter Zibster
  • 92 comments
I recently downloaded TexEd for NFSU2 modding purposes that @JakeMR2 uses and I find it useful and it's like using some the IMG editing tools that you usually use for GTA mods.

Is there any progress so far in searching for the hidden cars in the demo?

I recently downloaded TexEd for NFSU2 modding purposes that @JakeMR2 uses and I find it useful and it's like using some the IMG editing tools that you usually use for GTA mods.

Is there any progress so far in searching for the hidden cars in the demo?

The only cars from the demo that shows are A.I oriented only from what DebugCarCustomize states. They do have hex codes that could be of use, which I'll try sooner or later. The reasons they do not show up on Underground 2's debug features from the final is that they deleted most of the paths or so called things that make the car movable.

Just by checking Felipe's videos it is stated they do not necessarily appear, but on the PC Version they have leftover unused files that the game does not read at all in the RAM memory.

The main goal is to see which 4XXX Track works too. I may make a list of which works or not. The Drag and some of the Drift tracks do not work in the demo, but Street X works wonders, while Street Cross is another beta name for Street X.

From what SpeedY from the NFS Theories 2.0 forums told everyone the car files are basically A.I. car files, but the player can only use the Fairlady Z (Z33) and the Lancer Evolution IX. I can try searching through the bins with TexEd, but I would have to do some math to extract the texture files, by squaring the size at least.

Though, a 3000GT can be seen in the Burnout 3: Takedown demo as a A.I. the models do not work in any certain way. I wish we could hack into the data to find out about it. SpeedY recently found out a Ingame Camera Maker for the PS2 version of Underground 2.

Also, good news the Debug World Camera can be activated in ALL Black Box era games. It would be cool to explore with it. Maybe we can find some junk textures that EA themselves left behind.

Edit:
I remember something about DebugCarCustomize.fng in Underground 2, in the final those files do not appear at all. Not even the names.

Why is it that the headlight beam have a different length? *Looking at the second video

Notice how in regular drive, the beam is short. But in the sponsorship photo mode and in the video, it's extremely wide and far.

Why is it that the headlight beam have a different length? *Looking at the second video

Notice how in regular drive, the beam is short. But in the sponsorship photo mode and in the video, it's extremely wide and far.
It's due to SpeedY's graphics settings from the video displaying World Debug Camera View, almost as much needed to test Artificial Intelligence and other stuff. The video of the second is PC, while ICE is on the PS2, which I can use.

I recently found out about an odd piece of controller mapping for the DS4 on this game and gave me the perfect idea for a challenge to try: Win The Games Longest Sprint Race While Looking Backwards.

Racing starts @ 1:36 while the outtakes start at 6:12

Reason I tried this is because when using a DS4 the default mapping for circle is to both accelerate AND look back, while square is to brake AND look back. Was quite fun trying to navigate past traffic I couldn't see, which ended up in outtakes the length of the video itself.

*After i finished a U.R.L race and decided to cruise around, i received a message from Rachel*

Rachel: Hey there's new hot rides available at your local car dealership!
Me: Okay

*Goes to check out the new cars that's been unlocked*
Me: I wonder what the new cars are? RX-8? Mustang? Eclipse?
Game: ...

16124320_377665372599616_8672527049325281280_n.jpg

04115181990003.jpg

Me: .... *leaves*

*After i finished a U.R.L race and decided to cruise around, i received a message from Rachel*

Rachel: Hey there's new hot rides available at your local car dealership!
Me: Okay

*Goes to check out the new cars that's been unlocked*
Me: I wonder what the new cars are? RX-8? Mustang? Eclipse?
Game: ...

16124320_377665372599616_8672527049325281280_n.jpg

04115181990003.jpg

Me: .... *leaves*
lol I did the same thing as you did, until I unlocked a Audi TT or a Supra SZ-R (the car is NA stock).

lol I did the same thing as you did, until I unlocked a Audi TT or a Supra SZ-R (the car is NA stock).
I would rather have a Honda Civic or Vauxhall Corsa than those two SUV's. (BTW it's possible to have both of Civic & RSX (NTSC) and Corsa & 106 (PAL) through this mod).

Underground 2 is and always has been my most favorite NFS game. It was my first NFS game as well and I got it with my PS2 back in Christmas of 2005. The customizations are some of the best I have ever seen and truthfully, I didn't even mind the fact you had to customize your car to progress, I was actually fine with it. I used to play it a lot back then and I eventually beat it, only for our save game to get corrupted later. I created another though and last I remember, I was at 25%.

Seems like once I got Most Wanted and a few other games 6 months later, I didn't really get back to it for some reason. As far as actively playing it again, it hasn't seen the light of day since, but I hope to change that in the near future. It's too good to ignore for me.

The demo has been hacked again, we now have "FULL ACCESS" to the files on the Burnout 3: Underground 2 Demo. Here they are:

NFSU2_Beta_Files.JPG

The thing is the 2.5RS Impreza, Lancer RS, S2000, NSX, and Integra ARE NOT referenced in the files of the demo compared to the PC counterpart. They were deleted in the process, thus. No model was loaded at all. We can somehow load the 3000GT that is in the files, and I wonder how'll it'll go to that.

Edit:
The demo also uses a Light Test in Track 4099, this is from GlobalB.BUN

I may try it, but I think I did try going to this track before.

Edit 2:
I feel like I should bring the "playable" tracks in the demo, it would clear any sort of confusion if you want to try these tracks. So that it can be easily duable for people who want different tracks to be selected, and workable. In GlobalB it also states that Olympic City is mentioned in the track files, but you will freeze the game if you do enter them.

Circuit / Free Roam / Explore
TRACK 4000 - Location4
TRACK 4001 - CC Outer Loop 1
TRACK 4002 - City Loop 2
TRACK 4003 - NW Loop 1
TRACK 4004 - SE Loop 1
TRACK 4021 - Upper Class 1
TRACK 4022 - Upper Class 2
TRACK 4023 - Upper Class 3
TRACK 4041 - Industrial 1
TRACK 4042 - Industrial 2
TRACK 4043 - Industrial 3
TRACK 4061 - Suburban Hills 1
TRACK 4062 - Suburban Hills 2
TRACK 4063 - Suburban Hills 3

Street X Racing (Street Cross)
TRACK 4600 - AStreet X Racing
TRACK 4601 - Street X City 1
TRACK 4602 - Street X City 2
TRACK 4603 - Street X City 3
TRACK 4604 - Street X City 4
TRACK 4605 - Street X Industrial 1
TRACK 4606 - Street X Industrial 2
TRACK 4607 - Street X Industrial 3
TRACK 4608 - Street X Industrial 4

Those are what I believe what works in the beta demo of this game, sorry I had to edit twice, but this game now has a lot life in it for sure now. We may see graphics and texture changes soon, just you guys wait.

Also, thank you Konsiegg.

Last edited:
@JakeMR2

What's your take on this video?

The video explains in full detail about how Black Box made Underground 2 after the success of Underground 1. My take on this would be it's something that GrandTheftAero does on his spare time, and I always watch his videos over the NFS betas, much like the way he searches for them. They didn't talk about the environment much, but it was very confusing to the point you may actually had to guess which root you have to take.

After plenty of digging most of the stuff was already found before the video, but had so much extras like the PS2 files being decoded now.

Yeah, seems to be like a lot of that stuff in GTAero's video was putting all the known information and some new stuff in a nice long video. Still, for someone like me, who finds a lot of interest in breaking down my favorite games, it was quite informative.

Man talk about the cars that were buried on NFSU2's code and all other features. If those features were implemented plus the cars, then NFSU2 could have been the greatest NFS game ever made.

Man talk about the cars that were buried on NFSU2's code and all other features. If those features were implemented plus the cars, then NFSU2 could have been the greatest NFS game ever made.
Funny that you post video link of it as I watched it last night and found it very interesting seeing as I had general knowledge of cars that were originally supposed to be in ug2.... Speaking of ug2 I will be playing it again very soon :)

Funny that you post video link of it as I watched it last night and found it very interesting seeing as I had general knowledge of cars that were originally supposed to be in ug2.... Speaking of ug2 I will be playing it again very soon :)
You should join our weekly car build contest. You can find it in my signature. Right now we're currently in a poll.

Maybe more pertinent to the thread:

I honestly find NFSU2 to be the most overrated NFS game out there. Most of it comes down to the fact that it hasn't aged well at all. The fact that in order to progress really, you need to slap all of this garish crap on your car doesn't lend well honestly. Doesn't help that the game itself, even without choosing the God Mode-esqe AE86, is pretty easy due to the fact you can simply PIT other racers with near 100% accuracy, even on the hardest difficulty. Also doesn't help this game tells you ****-all about what you are supposed to do later on. So then you are trawling the events in the event list, doing what you haven't done and grinding the game to a halt.

Always liked that Black Box tried to make you explore the (admittedly, even for 2004, small) open world and it came out better for it. But I think if I was ranking the early Black Box era output out to Carbon, it would be:

1: MW
2: NFSU
3: Carbon (But I haven't touched Carbon in a long time, sold off my PS3 and my copy of the game, and as far as I'm concerned, PC or 7th generation consoles are the way to go with Carbon, I'm not playing a graphically gimped PS2 version)
4: U2

I honestly find NFSU2 to be the most overrated NFS game out there. Most of it comes down to the fact that it hasn't aged well at all. The fact that in order to progress really, you need to slap all of this garish crap on your car doesn't lend well honestly. Doesn't help that the game itself, even without choosing the God Mode-esqe AE86, is pretty easy due to the fact you can simply PIT other racers with near 100% accuracy, even on the hardest difficulty. Also doesn't help this game tells you ****-all about what you are supposed to do later on. So then you are trawling the events in the event list, doing what you haven't done and grinding the game to a halt.

Always liked that Black Box tried to make you explore the (admittedly, even for 2004, small) open world and it came out better for it. But I think if I was ranking the early Black Box era output out to Carbon, it would be:

3: Carbon (But I haven't touched Carbon in a long time, sold off my PS3 and my copy of the game, and as far as I'm concerned, PC or 7th generation consoles are the way to go with Carbon, I'm not playing a graphically gimped PS2 version)
You know what? I'll agree with you there.

Because of NFSU2's success, many people then compared any NFS title to Underground and then claiming as the best NFS title. Also this made casual racing gamers to forget NFS' past titles especially High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed.

This game is also the reason why we have NFS2015 and No Limits right now and what convinced EA and Ghost to go back to the Underground era.

Not even for trying out the Collector's edition?? Though if IRC it was released on PC too

You know what? I'll agree with you there.

Because of NFSU2's success, many people then compared any NFS title to Underground and then claiming as the best NFS title. Also this made casual racing gamers to forget NFS' past titles especially High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed.

This game is also the reason why we have NFS2015 and No Limits right now and what convinced EA and Ghost to go back to the Underground era.

Yeah, it really drove a wedge into the fanbase that preferred 'classic' NFS (Meaning everything up to HP2) and then the new age NFS fans who came from Underground. It's the same sort of schism that happened with Tony Hawk from THPS3 onward, those who complain about the open world structure of the later THUG games and beyond, and pine for a return to the standard 2 minute goal list structure.

Not even for trying out the Collector's edition?? Though if IRC it was released on PC too

It is, but the Collector's Edition is kind of useless considering the cars that are present are only available for Quick Race mode, not Career. So it holds the same sort of position as the Black Edition of MW (Which, I should mention, I own) with regards to the '69 Camaro.

Yeah, it really drove a wedge into the fanbase that preferred 'classic' NFS (Meaning everything up to HP2) and then the new age NFS fans who came from Underground. It's the same sort of schism that happened with Tony Hawk from THPS3 onward, those who complain about the open world structure of the later THUG games and beyond, and pine for a return to the standard 2 minute goal list structure.

It is, but the Collector's Edition is kind of useless considering the cars that are present are only available for Quick Race mode, not Career. So it holds the same sort of position as the Black Edition of MW (Which, I should mention, I own) with regards to the '69 Camaro.
You can always mod them into career mode Car lot ;)

I wanted to give this game a go again with some mods and stuff, but i simply don't enjoy playing it anymore because of the controller mapping with a PS4 controller, some buttons are mapped with 2 functions like 1 button is for shifting and braking, or other buttons are like combined with nitrous and looking back, this is really annoying to me i already tried messing with the controller settings but it remains the same for me, and i don't like playing with a keyboard. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

I wanted to give this game a go again with some mods and stuff, but i simply don't enjoy playing it anymore because of the controller mapping with a PS4 controller, some buttons are mapped with 2 functions like 1 button is for shifting and braking, or other buttons are like combined with nitrous and looking back, this is really annoying to me i already tried messing with the controller settings but it remains the same for me, and i don't like playing with a keyboard. Is there anyway to fix this problem?
Do you perhaps have a PS3 controller lying around you could use? I used a PS3 controller and had zero issues playing NFSU2 on PC

Back