Votes: 28 5.5%
  • Will await independent post-release reviews

Votes: 110 21.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 29 5.7%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Polyphony Digital have said that Gran Turismo Academy is "along our path from GT5 to GT6".
I am disappointed by the thought of GT6 so soon, as I am still waiting for the satisfactory completion of GT5.
GT5 was not, in my opinion, a good enough finished product at time of release, and despite numerous updates still is not.
Having played the first three GT games, I am now unlikely to buy GT6, as GT5 was so unsatisfactory in comparison to its predecessors.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7169029#post7169029

Last edited:
I think we would all agree that it's too early to properly answer this question.

BUT, based off of GT5's launch and disappointment, I believe many of us will take a good look at GT6 reviews before rushing to stores to pick it up.

You got to remember, other racing sims exist and do things better than GT. And GT does things well that other sims don't. However, it's no longer 1998. GT is not the only racer on the market. Competition is good. Hopefully, Project CARS will spark PD to move their behinds.

GT needs a rival on its own platform.

Just to reiterate for who know how many times- kaz has been quoted as saying gt5 was not how he hoped it would have been at release and he wanted another 2 years. Having said that, the game now is compared different to how it was at launch. Gt6? I don't know, I have real life commitments now that I didn't have at the time gt5 launched. I would like to think that I WILL get it, but at the same time i probably won't get it at launch.

There are other games out there so i dare say some gt players will move away to them, although there may be an influx of players from the other games to gt6. It is FAR too early to say what will happen as there are no details about gt6 yet, just speculation.

This is probably the 10th (or more) thread I have seen about this topic, and I remember reading some similar ones just after gt5 launched. There is a search function on these forums for a reason.

Tl;dr - who knows yet.

Next time i am not going to buy the name of the product. I am going to buy features and things that i expect to see.
If not, still i am going to buy it (GT6) but hopefully with at least 80% of what i want.

This is personal. GT series always have things that other games don´t have, that´s why i like it. But GT5 felt and still feels that could be a lot better in so many aspects.

As Corvette Conquer said about pCARS...PD need to take a look in what is not doing and implement it in GT series (and i think on Forza too as much as i don´t like that).
Just take a look a t the competition for once if you want to keep customers happy not just fans of the series as me.

I'll buy it Day 1.

Anyone else sick of people complaining that GT5 isn't finished? Seriously, what game is anymore? We've received more updates for GT5 than I have EVER seen for any other console game. People are just never happy and always want something to complain about. Honestly, it sounds to me like Gran Turismo just isn't the game for you. Maybe you should try something else.

^ I did wonder if GT was the most patched game in history.

Not sure if that's a record to be proud of TBH.

I'll buy it Day 1.

Anyone else sick of people complaining that GT5 isn't finished? Seriously, what game is anymore? We've received more updates for GT5 than I have EVER seen for any other console game. People are just never happy and always want something to complain about. Honestly, it sounds to me like Gran Turismo just isn't the game for you. Maybe you should try something else.

In number yes, arguably not in content. Whilst it is pretty fruitless to complain about GT5 being unfinished at this point in it's cycle it's not fair to compare it to other 'unfinished' games because none have been as unfinished as GT5 1.00 was that I know of. It's one thing missing a few cars that were meant to be in or a few missions getting cut, but GT5 was horribly unfinished in it's original form. Remember it wasn't even possible to go online with 1.00.

LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 have had more updates I believe, if we aren't going to factor MMOs into the equation.

GTPorsche
LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 have had more updates I believe, if we aren't going to factor MMOs into the equation.

Isn't that paid costumes etc, optional? I was thinking mandatory updates.
Rockband would hold the record there I think. Great support from a hardworking team.

I think we would all agree that it's too early to properly answer this question.

BUT, based off of GT5's launch and disappointment, I believe many of us will take a good look at GT6 reviews before rushing to stores to pick it up.

You got to remember, other racing sims exist and do things better than GT. And GT does things well that other sims don't. However, it's no longer 1998. GT is not the only racer on the market. Competition is good. Hopefully, Project CARS will spark PD to move their behinds.

I agree with this post completely. PD are a little bit slow on implementing ideas that they get from fans of Gran Turismo and they really need to pick up the pace if they are going to remain competitive in the racing sim market.
I'll buy it Day 1.

I think I would buy it on the first day too for the fact that I have played every single GT game from GT3 onwards. They're not spending so much time on Gran Turismo 5 because they are focusing on GTA and GT6. In other words, to make up for the disappointment that we had in GT5, GT6 is PD's chance to shine really brightly. I think that it's safe to say that GT5 wasn't completely finished but whether I will buy GT6 or not depends if fans will be disappointed like with GT5.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that someone on this forum wouldn't buy GT6 as soon as it's available? I mean, I understand that times are tough, but I would think anyone wasting their valuable time on this forum would have no qualms with buying the game sans seeing reviews.

I'll buy it Day 1.

If you hadn't yet noticed, people are trying other games.

GT3 sold the most copies ever, partly because it was the anticiapted return of the series on a new console (PS2) and also because it was BUNDLED with the PS2 consoles for quite some time.

GT sales have not grown since GT3, they've dropped off:

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

GT3: 14mil

GT4: 11mil

GT5: 7mil

Of course, these are still HUGE numbers, but there's a steady decline. Other games are emerging and remaining VERY current. Maybe GT is the ONLY series for you. That would be a bit sad. I hope that's not the case for you, a racing/car enthusiast.

R1600Turbo
To me, at least they are doing something. They could have just left it the way it was...

You have a good point.
I don't think PD do much else other than GT though. I may be wrong. Seems a no brainer to let the team fix some issues.

If you hadn't yet noticed, people are trying other games.

GT3 sold the most copies ever, partly because it was the anticiapted return of the series on a new console (PS2) and also because it was BUNDLED with the PS2 consoles for quite some time.

GT sales have not grown since GT3, they've dropped off:

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

GT3: 14mil

GT4: 11mil

GT5: 7mil

Of course, these are still HUGE numbers, but there's a steady decline. Other games are emerging. Maybe GT is the ONLY series for you.

If PD make GT6 more like GT3 then I predict the sales will start going up again.

Hahahaha.... :lol: Are you kidding me? Of course, I will buying GT6: Prologue or whatever PD idea. I still supportive them.

SimonK
All GT3 showed was you didn't need 1000 cars to have a great game. I spent a lot of time playing GT3.

Agreed, I still play GT3 and I somehow enjoy that one more than GT5.. Maybe it's because that game was focusing on the fun and had an AI that actually knew how to drive a 600 HP race car?

Competent GT-mode = I buy day one. Anything else = I wait and see.

Incidentally GT5 is the only sequel in the series that hasn't outsold the previous sequel in Europe.

I point out that because Europe is the primary market now and has been for a while.

Agreed, I still play GT3 and I somehow enjoy that one more than GT5.. Maybe it's because that game was focusing on the fun and had an AI that actually knew how to drive a 600 HP race car?

It's not just GT3 where the AI actually knew how to drive a car properly and give you some proper competition. GT4 as well; don't know what happened with GT5.

MSTER232
It's not just GT3 where the AI actually knew how to drive a car properly and give you some proper competition. GT4 as well; don't know what happened with GT5.

I have to disagree on that with GT4.. Admitted, everybody tried to stick to the racing line but GT4 was a little unrealistic when it came to that, they were actually doing the same thing over and over..
In GT6 I'd like to see human AI that can also make mistakes and change pit strategy and gain or lose big.. That would be epic!

SimonK
All GT3 showed was you didn't need 1000 cars to have a great game. I spent a lot of time playing GT3.

Indeed. GT3 is still my favorite GT game. Only had 150 cars but still had more things to do than GT5. How ironic. I would imagine a game with 1000 cars would be able to have better replay value.

IMO, GT5 will be a very inferior game compared to other GTs once GT6 comes out with better physics, etc. and the plug is pulled on GT5's online, turning it into a purely offline game, just like it's older brothers.

Last edited:
GT5 AI us heavily scripted too IMHO. Never see them overtake each other. Just a Line of bots.

It could be argued that all AI is scripted(which it is) the art is in disguising it to make the AI seem human like or prone to error.

Long way to go in GT as it stands.

I'll buy it Day 1.

Anyone else sick of people complaining that GT5 isn't finished? Seriously, what game is anymore?

Since when is getting an unfinished game ... right? It may be common, and it doesn't seem to hurt sales all that much, but it still sucks to be an early adopter, especially when, despite the contiuned support (for which I'm greatful) the game is still tragically flawed.

I posted this at the PSN forums this morning:

GT5 is flawed in two major categories, and no features, content or additions to the game are more important than these two things.

1. Stability. This is one of the most unstable games I've ever had the misfortune of trying to play a lot of, and I've played a lot of GTAs, Elder Scrolls, RDR and so on, so I understand that with expansive large scale games tend to come more bugs and glitches, but on a day to day basis, GT5 freezes and crashes far too often. People can't load tracks and are forced to restart their systems on a nightly basis in our online testing and racing. Just now, trying to exit from a B-spec race I was met with another black screen and the sound of cars still racing on track, which required a button reset of the PS3. This is not exclusive to online or off, any specific tracks, cars or game modes, nor any one or few gamers. The game is just too complicated, or too poorly designed to function propelry.

2. Efficiency. Never have I spent so much time in loading screens... or waiting for the paint list to load... or the car list to load. Just starting the game up requires you to wait for the game to load the background animation for a redundant menu screen. It's all very painful and wasteful.

Just look at how the paint system works. It boggles the mind how poorly it works, and how far from common sense you have to depart to get to the system they implemented. On top of that, when you have a large quantity of paints it becomes very slow to load and sort, and it just shouldn't be that way...

I love this game, but after over a year of it I've lost out on a great deal of actual driving time because of glitches and long load times. The agonzing wait for GT5 to arrive has been surplanted by the agonizing wait for GT5 to load, and the frustration that when it finally does, it freezes up on your way back to the main menu.

GT5 is now really only appreciated by long time GT5 fans, and among them it's really only the patient who remain. I'm a patient person, but now when GT freezes I don't usually bother going back in to finish what it is I was doing, which is sad.

I can already hear the backlash that I'm a demanding, impatient, typical whiner who doesn't appreciate the work they do, but that's simply not true. I've supported this game for a long time and I'm just calling a spade a spade. PD needs to focus on Stability and Efficiency for either GT6 or GT5 3.0, or they will continue to lose ground to their competitors.

All the content in the world won't save you from flawed design, but when your design is solid it's a lot easier to focus on adding content.

Since then I've been re-installing the system data because my game consistently freezes entering the Indy 500 B-spec race. :irked:

I do the same kind of event organizing you do, so I'm sure you have a laundry list of things you want fixed and/or changed, most of which were added to that list on day 1 and have yet to be addressed, despite the 17 update files I'm currently dl'ing and installing.

GT5 is more fun than any previous game, so I don't agree with those who can't enjoy the game for the gameplay it currently offers. Even the lag in DLC isn't a big deal, but GT is losing a lot of ground because it just doesn't work well, and for that I can see why people have or will give up on the series.

I'm committed with my group, as are you, so there's reason to stay involved, but you have to admit there's a lot they could do better, and it's not often as easy as it should be.

I do the same kind of event organizing you do, so I'm sure you have a laundry list of things you want fixed and/or changed, most of which were added to that list on day 1 and have yet to be addressed, despite the 17 update files I'm currently dl'ing and installing.

Honestly, not really. I work with what I have and I make it work well.

You have to remember that GT5 got good to great reviews at launch, so looking at reviews won't be helpful. GT6 will get good reviews like every other GT game. Also most people only have one console. It doesn't matter if there are other sims out there, if the only sim on PS3 is GT.
Stop GT6 like most of us will.

devildog666
You have to remember that GT5 got good to great reviews at launch, so looking at reviews won't be helpful. GT6 will get good reviews like every other GT game. Also most people only have one console. It doesn't matter if there are other sims out there, if the only sim on PS3 is GT.
Stop GT6 like most of us will.

If GT6 is PS4 then you can break the cycle.

Back