Who's using both the DS3 and DFGT.?.?

• Thread starter squeakD
  • 37 comments
How are you guys getting along that use both the DFGT and the DS3? I've been bouncing back and forth between the two today.., and I have to say that I find a limiation with the DFGT in how with even the slightest left to right movement results in that dreaded "notching" that can be felt in the wheel. It really gets in the way of trying to hug the line smoothly in a turn.

I received a DFGT new and boxed (prezzie) that I havent bothered to set up yet as i'm too comfortable with a ds3.

Would anyone like to comment on whether I should use the wheel? Whats the best setup in my room and setup of the wheel ie. in-game settings?

^^^ Now is the best time to practice with that wheel. Because, even if you make it to the finals using a DS3 you will be forced to use a wheel after that. Best get the hang of using it now.

Used the DS3 to Gold everything. Later used my Fanatec wheel to have a proper go at the 2-4 event. The only decent round so far in my opinion....

^^^ Now is the best time to practice with that wheel. Because, even if you make it to the finals using a DS3 you will be forced to use a wheel after that. Best get the hang of using it now.

Good point I was originally thinking this, but once I golded the Rounds Istarted to think I didnt need it. I've only started to think about it since I noticed the top ranking guys all on a wheel.

Anybody in the UK can recommend a good driving stand?

I'm not in the UK but I can recommend a table just the same. :D J/k...I'm sure these guys have pro stands with their pro wheels. Money money money...

I'm not in the UK but I can recommend a table just the same. :D J/k...I'm sure these guys have pro stands with their pro wheels. Money money money...

$15 laptop table and a folding chair from Wal-Mart.

Look at the money fly... :sly:

I have a DFGT and a DS3 and Im using both.
I have more control with the DS3. When i use the wheel I often cant catch the cars when they begin to drift.

you may have your force feedback too high or low,

try 3

You can also try turning on power steering which also helps if you think the force feedback is too strong while driving. But by turning it on, you have no feel for the car at all in my opinion.

Got a DFGT 1 month ago, never used DS3 again. You're right, in very small turns or to drive for short distance (like the very first gt academy races) a DS3 can seem more precise, but in every other case a wheel will be far more precise and you'll drive much more cleanly and with more control. You just have to become used to it, I say 4-5 hours (you'll hate the wheel at first, you'll love it later).

I always felt like a wheel is much more precise because you can literally control the wheel with your hand. But on a DS3 you can only be precise with your thumb.
Personally I trust two hands over 1 thumb.

Got a DFGT 1 month ago, never used DS3 again. You're right, in very small turns or to drive for short distance (like the very first gt academy races) a DS3 can seem more precise, but in every other case a wheel will be far more precise and you'll drive much more cleanly and with more control. You just have to become used to it, I say 4-5 hours (you'll hate the wheel at first, you'll love it later).

It might just be me, but I loved my wheel as soon as I got home and tested it out. Although I didn't have the fancy cockpit that I have now to mount it on. Loved it even more when I finished building my cockpit. Check it out in my signature if you want to see it. Also, a wheel is more precise everywhere because it's easier to add gradual steering input using both hands instead of using just one thumb.

I always felt like a wheel is much more precise because you can literally control the wheel with your hand. But on a DS3 you can only be precise with your thumb.
Personally I trust two hands over 1 thumb.

And on top of that, the steering angle is directly affected by how much you turn your steering wheel. If you use a controller, then the game delays the steering slightly to make it easier for you to make some smooth steering inputs. Also, you have force feedback which you probably won't see in a PS3 controller for quite some time 👍 .

How do you have your setup using a ds3

If you talking about tuning the cars for use with a controller, then that is not possible since you cannot update the car's settings. If you are talking about a racing cockpit then I understand you better.

More buttons which do you use for what. Currently im use L2 to brake and R2 to accelerate. View wise i use cock pit or bonnet

Also what steering sensitivity

I'll humor you on this one JknRich. When I use a DS3 (mainly because setting the wheel up is a major event here and I'm on a second floor apartment) I turn all assists off just as if I was using a wheel. No traction control, ABS at 1, everything else off. HOWEVER, I have recently moved my controller sensitivity to -2. I find that there is not as much oversteer or steering in general which took time off my previous DS3 times. It will take a few to get used to but lowering the sensitivity appears to be the way to go with a controller.
I use L2 brake, R2 gas, and MANUAL SHIFTING (this is a MUST for fast times). I have my shifting set to 'X' and 'O'.

This weekend and the rest of the competition should be all wheel for me now. I don't think controller times are going to make it this year with all the competition and I'm just flat out faster with a wheel.

I seem to be a 'thread killer', but on another subject.... I noticed someone set a time with a 200 degree wheel??? What is this about? I'm guessing an OLD SCHOOL wheel but could that actually be an advantage with less steering input?

Skinny DG
I'll humor you on this one JknRich. When I use a DS3 (mainly because setting the wheel up is a major event here and I'm on a second floor apartment) I turn all assists off just as if I was using a wheel. No traction control, ABS at 1, everything else off. HOWEVER, I have recently moved my controller sensitivity to -2. I find that there is not as much oversteer or steering in general which took time off my previous DS3 times. It will take a few to get used to but lowering the sensitivity appears to be the way to go with a controller.
I use L2 brake, R2 gas, and MANUAL SHIFTING (this is a MUST for fast times). I have my shifting set to 'X' and 'O'.

This weekend and the rest of the competition should be all wheel for me now. I don't think controller times are going to make it this year with all the competition and I'm just flat out faster with a wheel.

I seem to be a 'thread killer', but on another subject.... I noticed someone set a time with a 200 degree wheel??? What is this about? I'm guessing an OLD SCHOOL wheel but could that actually be an advantage with less steering input?

Well tbh i have not means or the funds for a wheel. Also i have only really just taking GT5 Seriously.
I downloaded the replay of the person who was second last night on the first test. This is because i have just got thr academy.

I been following his replay, i just cant stay smooth to the edge of the corner. This is why i asked about DS3 setups. I seem to be jumping of the corner to quick and cant keep it

L2 - Shift down
R2 - Shift up
R1 - Handbrake
L3 - Steering
R3 - Gas/Throttle

DS3 for drifting
Anything else DFGT + wheelstand pro

Don't worry, you're not a thread killer at all. Or at least we hope you're not. And 200 degree steering wheels technically isn't cheating because even on a 900 degree wheel you only use about 200 degrees to each side anyway. And also, when you use a 900 degree wheel, the direction of the front wheels is directly affected by the amount the steering wheel is turned. If you use a 200 degree steering wheel, then the steering is delayed very slightly, and if you use a controller, then the steering is delayed by a considerable amount. So technically speaking, using a 200 degree steering wheel isn't cheating.

L2 - Shift down
R2 - Shift up
R1 - Handbrake
L3 - Steering
R3 - Gas/Throttle

DS3 for drifting
Anything else DFGT + wheelstand pro

For me, I use a DFGT everywhere, including drifting 👍 . And to those that use a DS3, I find that the best controller map setup is something like this:

R2 - Accelerate
L2 - Brake
R stick up - Shift Down
R stick down - Shift Up

Everything else is default.

I hardly ever use my DS3 for driving now, since I use it as a handbrake for rallies and drifting, but this is the setup that I used when I still was using a controller. I find that this is the most comfortable set up for me, because the right stick simulates my DFGT's sequential gearbox. Using the R2 and L2 buttons instead of the right stick also gives for more precise inputs too, resulting in faster times. Oh, and I highly suggest that you turn down the steering sensitivity for even smoother driving.

Ok thank you for the help ill have a play about with it. Just want away to find the extra 10ths of a second to gp faster on the first nissan leaf academy. I do not know why im obbsessed with it. I think i just want to be in the top 10 for a day

I probably should have watched my wording as I didn't mean 'advantage' as in 'cheating'. I've just never seen a 200 degree wheel. :D

Latest Posts

Back