Who's your role model?

• Thread starter Pyle_PMG
  • 62 comments
Ottfried_Fischer.jpg

Ottfried Fischer, Actor

Don't get me wrong: I'm not looking like that. Yet, he's the ultimate Bavarian - he's always chilling out and keeping it real.

Twilight Sparkle My Dad.

Pretty much just my Dad and Brother.
Well until my brother started completely :censored:ing up his life, but when I was still young I looked up to him as a role model.

Last edited:
I have too many role models to list. Many of them are business men who have risked everything, stumbled along the way but continued to push and achieved big things.

Here's a few:

julian_lloyd_webber_new.jpg

Julian Lloyd Webber. It is my goal to equal and attempt to overtake his abilities as a cellist.

ludwid-van-beethoven.jpg

Ludwig van Beethoven. When it comes to musical composition, their is no one better.

vett_toro_08pre.jpg

Sebastian Vettel. Regulars in the Motorsport section will understand this. :D

I've changed since this thread started. My role model is Kevin Harvick. Great NASCAR driver who is happy and having fun, meanwhile not letting his success get the better of him. Plus he's awesome, did I mention I'm a big fan of him?

VANDENAL is one, surprisingly. ;)

Keiichi Tsuchiya when it comes to Automotive Sports.

And when it comes to music, Beethvoen

Dwayne Roloson.

41 year old NHL goalie, he inspires me because I play goalie as well and I know how tough it is, both physically and mentally. The fact that he's 41 years old, and playing the way he is (top 15 in the league IMO (there's 30 teams who each have two or three goalies)) inspires me. The NHL is a young man's league, and while goalies typically aren't in full swing until their mid 20's, or even early 30's (Carey Price being a notable exception), to be 41 and still having the dexterity, reflexes, and strength to play in the NHL is truly remarkable.

Excuse Bob Cole having an orgasm on the mic. He's gone senile.

Since I follow golf and I'm Aussie, has to be Adam Scott.

Automotive wise it'll be Keiichi Tsuchiya, hence the signature.

Me :)

I'm my own role model because I'm always fighting myself everyday, trying to be a better man, son, student, friend and brother :) That is what makes me wanna do things better, one day at a time :)

Yesterday I felt like making a thread like this one, and to my surprise not only did it already exist, but I also posted in it. I was 18 when I made that comment, and now I'm 25. And Lost turned out to be a pretty terrible show.

I don't know if "role model" is the term I'm looking for. I don't want to be exactly like him. But it is probably the person I hold in the highest regard: my 31-years old brother. He says it how it is: he doesn't sugarcoat his opinions, he doesn't hide anything. If my parents say something he doesn't agree with, he will call them out on it. It's usually politics, considering our country is very divided between left-wing politics and right-wing politics, with my brother firmly in the former camp and my parents in the latter.

Even though I consider myself a leftist, I personally prefer to let my parents' comments slide. I do not enjoy starting fights at the table. But I enjoy watching him start arguments, fully confident in what he believes, with no regard for who he is arguing or fighting against. I should hope to be as honest and confident as him one day.

I do not have a role model, I've never had one and I do not really understand the concept of having one. Isn't it kind of decreasing your freedom, setting up restrictions which limits your ability become who you really want to be?

Personally, I simply do what feels right, I try to be a honorable, healthy and just man who lives in harmony with his surroundings and himself as best as I can. And thats it.

Like some others here, I find the concept of a role model to be somewhat odd. I've never really had a role model at any point in my life, but I have found people who had traits or made choices that I thought were worth incorporating into my life. I take life as a smorgasbord of good ideas and bad and just try to filter out the good ones.

I do try to live as though other people are doing that as well, so I guess I try to be a role model for whatever values and choices I think are good and would like to see other people incorporate into their lives. Sometimes they do.

I do not have a role model, I've never had one and I do not really understand the concept of having one. Isn't it kind of decreasing your freedom, setting up restrictions which limits your ability become who you really want to be?

Personally, I simply do what feels right, I try to be a honorable, healthy and just man who lives in harmony with his surroundings and himself as best as I can. And thats it.

But what you feel is right had to have been based off a criteria that you picked up in previous experiences.

How did we learn to think, believe and follow that holding the door for someone who's got their hands full is considered a positive, kind and polite gesture? We could've picked up that from seeing this happen with someone else (who received positive feedback for it, which you connected that association), or it could've happened to you in the past where you were relieved someone was willing to grab the door while you were straddling 8 grocery bags in your hands.

The major difference between that one encounter with the person at the door versus your role model is that the latter just happens to do things that change your life a LOT.

My sister and brother-in-law are my role models. My mentality of a role model isn't explicitly to be more like that person, but more so to pick up their sets of values that you feel will positively impact your life. For me, I look up to them to be more independent. Why? Normally, people look up to their parents since they've been through more of life than you have, but I can tell they've advanced further in being independent than my parents have at their age. Clearly they're doing something right, and if anything, I could learn a lot from them. I don't want to stagnate my life like my parents have done this whole time.

For you, maybe it is better to think of it less as a "person with a ton of good values" and more like all the "good values I've observed, adopted and compiled into a collective mass". Because for some people, it may not be just the one and only person.

I try my best to be a good role model to my junior colleagues because when I was in their position as an intern, I didn't experience nor understand how the customer-service communication works, or why it works that way. The only thing I could think of doing was picking up the same values as my senior colleagues so that I can make sense of what values I should harbor and why it will be beneficial for my own cause. It's not so much to restrict what I can/can't say or do, but to understand the value in what I can/can't say or do. Telling someone "let me get back to you on that" sounds waaaay better than "I don't know - nobody told me anything".

Last edited:
But what you feel is right had to have been based off a criteria that you picked up in previous experiences.

How did we learn to think, believe and follow that holding the door for someone who's got their hands full is considered a positive, kind and polite gesture?

Only partially, and I absolutely do not need a role model for this. Most of my own code of conduct is simply based on logics and my own understanding of the world and what creates the least amount of unnecessary friction the every day life. And the question: would I want to be treated like this myself?

I do not need any experience with anybody or anything to know that many things are plain and simply bad and many things are good and appropriate. Those things are not bad and good without a reason, they are mostly based on simple logics.

How did we learn to think, believe and follow that holding the door for someone who's got their hands full is considered a positive, kind and polite gesture?
Well, why is it a positive gesture? Because its plain and simply problematic to open a door when you don't have a hand free, helping that person is a nice gesture and its very easy. You don't need any experience or role models to pick that up though, I simply see a person that needs help and said help can be easily provided by me in a second by opening a door. Or an old lady that has troubles crossing the street, do I need a role model or extensive sociological experience to realize that helping her would be a good thing? No, I just need basic common sense and some amount of altruism.

I do not need any experience with anybody or anything to know that many things are plain and simply bad and many things are good and appropriate. No, I just need basic common sense and some amount of altruism.

So would it be safe to then say you were just born with this set of behaviour and philiosophies?

Day1 Michael88: Don't cross when the light is red, be nice to others, if you want something; you pay for it, think about others, and hold the door for people?

Sounds a bit farfetched to know all this without having learned this from observation or teachings of others the very moment you're born....Surely, you must've learned all this from somewhere, someone or something at some point in time.

____

Of course, at your age (whatever your age is) now, you probably don't need somebody to represent the embodiment of who'd you want to be more like.... but the point I'm making is that at some point in time in your life (unless you've been isolated from all human contact), you probably found something you want to aspire to be more like. That person/thing could conceptually be a role model to you, even for if it was for 2 minutes. I'm just providing my answer to that question of "what the concept of a role model is".

Last edited:
I feel like you tend to realise your true role models upon reflection rather than prospection. The inspiration was best done subconsciously for me as despite my childhood relationship with my brother having a lot of negatives, it's clear now that in many ways how he was still a role model for me without me realising. It was sort of a 'monkey see, monkey do' thing that I'd imagine a lot of younger siblings could relate to.

Just ignore that I posted in this thread seven years ago and completely missed the point.

Patrick Stewart

He's an all round nice chap and a Yorkshire Lad done good.

... but the point I'm making is that at some point in time in your life (unless you've been isolated from all human contact), you probably found something you want to aspire to be more like. That person/thing could conceptually be a role model to you, even for if it was for 2 minutes. I'm just providing my answer to that question of "what the concept of a role model is".

No I've never looked up to anybody, I had a pretty normal modern childhood (I was a little lonely at times, I was part of a very small hard working family with no father and no grandparents) but I have never had an idol, a person I wanted to be like or which I found inspiring or admired for their great personality or set of character traits. No famous people, not even fictional characters, I disliked superhero comics a lot and, while enjoying the films, felt indifferent towards movie characters. (Same with fictional characters in books.)

Like I said, I've always done things simply because they felt right, and avoided doing things because they felt wrong for me personally, not because people who I admired did them and I simply tried to mimic them in some way. I find that to be a very alien concept. It goes without question that I do know exactly what many people consider right and wrong as I am part of society and not living on the moon, but I always use my own standards based on my own understandings and logics, other peoples opinions on morales and the do's and don'ts do not influence me that much at all.

Last edited:
Back