Why Are GT1&GT2 so cheap?

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
Like why are they so cheap online? They are old games no longer in production and people still like to play them and buy them a lot. They even sell well on Amazon and Ebay. Are there too many in circulation or something? Other games from the same time period like FFVII, FFVIII, and The Legend of Dragoon all sell for 3-10 times the price of these games. I was hoping to be able to sell my good condition GT1&GT2 games that have the jewel case and booklets included for at LEAST $25-$30 but they seem to only sell for $7-$20. It's weird you'd think they have more value. Do you ever think the value of these games will ever skyrocket.. in say like 5-10 years?

Last edited:
GT1 and GT2 are the first and third best-selling PS1 games of all time - between the two there's over 20 million copies out there.

FF7 and 8 also sold extremely well, but they have a phenomenal cult following whereas GT games more or less get superseded by the next game for most people. Sports and racing games never get the same sort of love as other genres, especially JRPGs.

GT1 and GT2 are the first and third best-selling PS1 games of all time - between the two there's over 20 million copies out there.

FF7 and 8 also sold extremely well, but they have a phenomenal cult following whereas GT games more or less get superseded by the next game for most people. Sports and racing games never get the same sort of love as other genres, especially JRPGs.

I see what you're saying. There is always more of a cult following in regards to specific rpg titles or adventure fantasy sci fi games rather than most other games out there like sports and racing. It may be because physics engines get better and graphics matter a lot in racing games so more focus is placed on newer developments. But rpgs and adventure games have that timeless effect.. if the plot, ost, characters, setting, and nostalgia is good it essentially becomes timeless and an adored classic that gamers value. I wonder though if regardless holding onto my copies until another 5-10 years will be worthwhile.

Most people aren't interested in games that quickly become 'outdated' though I find them nostalgic. Oh well, it means GT/racing game fans have a big bargain buy opportunity count :P

@flanylla
The 2 usual CDs and a bonus CD that contains a save with 15 famous race cars and the B-license pre-completed as well as 100 000cr. As far as I'm aware, it was only sold that way in france.
See here

Well ... I may have another idea why those games are so dirt cheap.

While JRPGs are games with a more or less closed story those can stand on their own. Racing game serieses however are continuations of previous installments becoming better and better over time - in most cases. That means, the newest version of a sports game in general is ALWAYS more expensive than an old one. But in case of GT the prices of the first two releases became a little higher over the years. The times when you can pick up GT1 or 2 for less than 5 bucks are over.

Back