Why are more people not bothered about no rear-view mirror?

FiA, really? Formula 1 has no rear view mirror, only tiny side mirrors. You hear the drivers moan about it after every race, practice session or qualifying? I don't. And you'd think they would since their actual lives are at stake, not some video game numbers.

You're right, they dont have mirrors, but they do have 2 advantages, they dont race with five bombing idiots and they have a guy talking in their ear, do we get either on GTS?

Its a lot easier to glance at a mirror, over pressing a button on my wheel, and looking in the wrong direction while truing the wheel in a technical corner with traffic all around me...

With a mirror, I can still use my peripheral vision to see what is happening in front of me.

No doubt it is, but the rear view button was not used on the lead up to the corner once, the driver gave themselves no chance to see what was behind, nor could even react or predict what was going to happen with the information available.

It’s difficult when you are racing so closely and competitively compared to having a proper mirror and the dark blind spot/proximity assists.
I disagree entirely. I use X on DS4 to look back, my finger is always nearby nd no matter how close I am to someone, I can always quickly nip it and not out myself at risk by doing so.

I change my view dependent on my mood but I predominantly use cockpit view with hud totally off. Hud itself is such a distraction and can hamper you even more than a look back. You're looking at a rear view camera so you aren't focusing on the road are you? So what's the difference between using a button to look back or using a rear view camera?

I understand that gt sports Hud options are stupidly limited. In gt5 I enjoyed being able to choose what I wanted and where. I liked the ability to have my rev counter with nothing else for times I had volume off when I was messing around.

and relating to the blind spot assistance, you are just trying to spoil yourself. Put yourself in a real race car and what happens? This is a simulator to replicate as well as possible what is real. I feel, people are trying to spoil themselves or add unnecessary crap into the game that really isn't needed. what advantage does having the camera locked on the screen do? Allows you a better view of what's hitting you? Allows you to not completely change view but you stil take your eyes off the road anyway so makes no difference.

Didn't spend time to read all the opinions, but I think the rearview mirror implementation (in cockpit view particularly) is bad and unfair. You have 3 situations:

1) An ideal one where the rearview mirror is clearly within the view in the cockpit (or at least side view mirror) and you can use it properly / or when the rearview LCD is clearly viewable - this happens in cars such as the Shelby Cobra or the Porsche RSR, among many others.

2) A crappy situation where the rearview/sideview mirrors are visible but are set horribly so you can only see an extreme side angle which is totally useless (McLaren F1 is a prime example)

3) The worst situation where you have no screen/visible rearivew mirror and hence these cars (when played in the cockpit view) are at a complete disadvantage. A few examples that come to mind are the Renault RS01, where no matter how back you set the viewpoint you can never get a glance at he sidemirror (it has no rear view LCD in the GTS version), or even worse, the Toyota and Peugeot LMP1 cars which have a visible LCD screen that in reality acts like the rearview camera, but in both cars for some stupid reasons, they are turned off.

So, as you can see, at least from the cockpit point of view, these are development mistakes that should be fixed ASAP!

I disagree entirely. I use X on DS4 to look back, my finger is always nearby nd no matter how close I am to someone, I can always quickly nip it and not out myself at risk by doing so.

I change my view dependent on my mood but I predominantly use cockpit view with hud totally off. Hud itself is such a distraction and can hamper you even more than a look back. You're looking at a rear view camera so you aren't focusing on the road are you? So what's the difference between using a button to look back or using a rear view camera?

I understand that gt sports Hud options are stupidly limited. In gt5 I enjoyed being able to choose what I wanted and where. I liked the ability to have my rev counter with nothing else for times I had volume off when I was messing around.

and relating to the blind spot assistance, you are just trying to spoil yourself. Put yourself in a real race car and what happens? This is a simulator to replicate as well as possible what is real. I feel, people are trying to spoil themselves or add unnecessary crap into the game that really isn't needed. what advantage does having the camera locked on the screen do? Allows you a better view of what's hitting you? Allows you to not completely change view but you stil take your eyes off the road anyway so makes no difference.

“You're looking at a rear view camera so you aren't focusing on the road are you? So what's the difference between using a button to look back or using a rear view camera?”

The arguments are starting to lose focus and it’s getting out of hand..

It sounds like you didn’t read my and others previous comments on the things you just brought up.

I respect that you’re racing with cockpit + no HUD, but you don’t want me to have a rear-view mirror? Why? Because it’s apparently just as easy to use the look back button? Or because it’s not realistic?

I am seriously MIND BLOWN.

Your thread title is 'why are more people not bothered', which I replied to reasonably and I also replied to what I quoted.

'MIND BLOWN' is a bit of an over-reaction is it not?

There's simply no excuse to add more features for each view. If you choose to use them in the end, is totally up to you.
But the game lacks customization in every aspect anyways, so I dont think Kaz does even care for such things.

Same for music, why cant we disable some tracks? But we can adjust tire noises?! Its just poor design decisions IMO.

There's simply no excuse to add more features for each view. If you choose to use them in the end, is totally up to you.
But the game lacks customization in every aspect anyways, so I dont think Kaz does even care for such things.

Same for music, why cant we disable some tracks? But we can adjust tire noises?! Its just poor design decisions IMO.

Definitely, there are lots of questionable design choices, but we definitely need to bring attention to the ones that affect our and others experience in Sport like this mirror issue.

I find editing the cockpit camera view helps. If you zoom out you can catch enough of the rearview/side mirror for it to have some use. On my T300RS wheel I config my L2 and R2 buttons to be look left/right, so I can be more aware of what is to my sides.

I feel so many accidents would be avoided in races if you could see behind you. I don't give a flying F-bomb what Kaz thinks about one view being overpowered, his goal should be for the racing experience to be as fun and competitive as possible.

Agree with all.

Additionally, in cockpit camera view we should be able to highly adjust our perspective (like the floating free camera, but without +/-) and set that perspective as default in each car. ...I (a newbie in all definitions) only drive cockpit, and prefer cars where at least one of the mirrors is functional, which often requires using the limited cockpit view adjustments: set to as far back and slightly high position.

I am bothered, I use the roof cam and and it is a problem. To all you saying this or that about driving in a real car you do know in real life we have a 180 degrees of vision here we are limited by the screen. IRL you can also judge what the car is doing from what you feel, g forces on your body it is way more clear what the car is doing, you have ****loads of feedback from the car. Here we have to be super focused on the movement of the camera, engine noise. Dont even get me started on how easy it is to not lock your brakes compared to gtsport. We absolutly need a rearview mirror on all cameras and the option to have the radar on at all times.

Back