Why are there now off-track shortcut penalties in seasonals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PureHeavyMetal
  • 74 comments
  • 7,576 views
Simply put ... it will make you a better driver by having these in the game. It will make you tactical, not a cheater.

How so? People are perfectly able to be tactical on their own. No one needs a terrible penalty system to teach them tactics. Then you have the AI which isn't great at passing or pack driving. With the system as it is, everything is the player's fault, so it will "teach" you avoid going off track at all costs even if you're in a situation where that doesn't make sense.

On top of that, anything you learn will only apply with SRF on apparently, and there is no use to being tactical if you bring in a car that will crush the competition.

PD have just made it take longer to make money.
 
How so? People are perfectly able to be tactical on their own. No one needs a terrible penalty system to teach them tactics. Then you have the AI which isn't great at passing or pack driving. With the system as it is, everything is the player's fault, so it will "teach" you avoid going off track at all costs even if you're in a situation where that doesn't make sense.

On top of that, anything you learn will only apply with SRF on apparently, and there is no use to being tactical if you bring in a car that will crush the competition.

PD have just made it take longer to make money.

Yeah, with the AI as bad as they are and with SRF on, the penalties are only punishing the player, which is a really bad idea, since people don't want to play a game that punishes them for playing it.
 
It puzzles me as to why PD is implementing change like this so late in the game. The only reason I can think of is that they are testing ideas to see how they would fly. However, I can't see the logic in forcing certain restrictions or penalties on players. In Time Trials I can see the logic, they are for a specific purpose and you need a baseline set of options to make all results comparable. In a hosted lobby yes, it makes sense for the host to put whatever restrictions they want. But in Seasonals it makes no sense to take options away from people. Since when does limiting selection or choice in something we've already paid for, ever benefit consumers?

It makes so much more sense to allow all options in Seasonals, and let the game players decide what they want to use and what they don't like. I don't get PD's line of thinking at all.
 
Penalties are fine, I like them, I use them online all the time. Stops people cutting corners, braking using other cars, etc, etc, all listed above. What I don't think has been mentioned though, is the difference between offline and online. Online, you can at least set the penalties to 'weak', which in my opinion is perfectly acceptable. You can clip corners and you can bump each other, but if you really take the piss, you get penalised. They should probably adopt the 'weak' penalties for Seasonal Events, or perhaps give us the option to choose. I know PDiddy isn't in the habit of giving us choice, (F)SRF anyone??

{Cy}

they should let you choose between "off", "weak", or "strong", but "off" gives you a way smaller reward, whereas "strong" gives you a bigger reward 💡
 
It puzzles me as to why PD is implementing change like this so late in the game. The only reason I can think of is that they are testing ideas to see how they would fly. However, I can't see the logic in forcing certain restrictions or penalties on players. In Time Trials I can see the logic, they are for a specific purpose and you need a baseline set of options to make all results comparable. In a hosted lobby yes, it makes sense for the host to put whatever restrictions they want. But in Seasonals it makes no sense to take options away from people. Since when does limiting selection or choice in something we've already paid for, ever benefit consumers?

It makes so much more sense to allow all options in Seasonals, and let the game players decide what they want to use and what they don't like. I don't get PD's line of thinking at all.
I agree! The only easy money in the game is accumulated by running seasonals. You're basically trading time for credits and it takes a very long time purchase all of the cars if your a causal gamer. I don't understand why they would you want to punish a paying customer for making a small mistake when they are spending their valuable time playing the game? Not everyone is a top level F1 driver (or cares to be).

I guess when they say Expert race they are serious. To hell with the rest of us that spent money on the game, dlc, wheels, headsets, keyboards, etc.
 
I like penalties but in some cases it becomes so bad as you can get them on the outside off-track part, its silly but Penalties do help you with racing in real life and avoiding noobs.
 
they should let you choose between "off", "weak", or "strong", but "off" gives you a way smaller reward, whereas "strong" gives you a bigger reward 💡

Might be a good idea. If you really want these silly penalties in the game, at least make it an option to turn them off. Who cares whether I cut corners or not as long as I don't actually race against them? Corner cutting can be a lot of fun!

And for anyone who said that Forza handles this better, I disagree, Forza's "sticky grass" is terrible. To me, it's the worst thing about Forza, and I'd much like the option to turn it off. Surely, in offline racing, if people want to stay on track, they don't need penalties, invisible barriers or sticky grass in order to do so, or?
 
Johnnypenso
It puzzles me as to why PD is implementing change like this so late in the game. The only reason I can think of is that they are testing ideas to see how they would fly. However, I can't see the logic in forcing certain restrictions or penalties on players. In Time Trials I can see the logic, they are for a specific purpose and you need a baseline set of options to make all results comparable. In a hosted lobby yes, it makes sense for the host to put whatever restrictions they want. But in Seasonals it makes no sense to take options away from people. Since when does limiting selection or choice in something we've already paid for, ever benefit consumers?

It makes so much more sense to allow all options in Seasonals, and let the game players decide what they want to use and what they don't like. I don't get PD's line of thinking at all.

So true, I reckon if these new changes and updates fly and maje people happy PD will put a similar thing in GT6 and make it better overtime
 
To me it seems like PD, since the game's release, has tried to balance the amount of time it takes to progress through the game with giving us races with good rewards.

Aspec is poor on cash, then came the seasonals with larger cash payouts. The original Festa Cavalino at La Sarthe was a corner cutting cash-cow.

Then we had some Bspec seasonals with big payouts (Sarthe-2J anyone?) - but they were temporary.

With performance difference bonus we are able to rake in +1million Cr per race. So I guess PD is giving us high rewards but trying to limit the ease.

I'm happy to fight for 1.5-2 million Cr rather than an easy win with not so many credits.👍
 
Could be a good thing could be annoying, who knows? I dont play with SRF on so I havent done any new seasonals. SRF ruins the experience for me more then corner cutting does IMO.
 
The penalties might not have to be because of realism reasons at all. Perhaps they just got tired of people selecting cars with too low PP, cutting all the corners to win and getting a massive PP bonus.

The SRF on may be because they want the seasonal events to be doable for anyone. But it used to be optional, so I don't know why they made it mandatory.
 
Spposed to prevent cheating, but the corner cutting system is stupid, you can be legal(2 wheels on tarmac, 2 on kerb)and still lose 10 seconds from "corner cutting".

Also the AI is retarded. Even if you have a fender on them they WILL turn in on you and the game gives YOU the penalty.

Also they have a tendency for erratically slowing down/braking WAY early when you get near them, and when their unexpected actions result in contact you cop it again.

And of course when they do occasionally rear-end you, guess who gets the penalty again...

Thats the reason I only use GT5 for online racing nowadays.
 
Correct me if I am wrong but I only noticed that Spa and La Sarthe have penalties. Has anyone gotten a penalty on Tsukuba, Indianapolis or Motegi?
 
Correct me if I am wrong but I only noticed that Spa and La Sarthe have penalties. Has anyone gotten a penalty on Tsukuba, Indianapolis or Motegi?

Ya, i noticed the same thing...
 
At both La Sarthe and Spa there are several places where you can short-cut corners and gain massive time. For instance, done right, you can straight line both chicanes at the end of the La Sarthe lap. IF you are desperate enough.
 
I think the penalties are a good thing, it's just that the penalty system is flawed.
 
I've just won Spa with the BMW V12 LMR after several tries tuning the car I managed to pass the leader on lap 5 just before the first chicane. He then hit me three times in the chicane successively harder until I spun on the exit, so I came third! The next race I passed him in the same place on lap 4 and he again took two lunges at me, this time missing me and then rammed me up the rear into the next RH corner. Luckily I was not penalised and stayed on track. So that race I won.

We complained about the AI being too passive. Now it's not true of the driver of the rabbit car!
 
We complained about the AI being too passive. Now it's not true of the driver of the rabbit car!

Oh yes, I have been sent spinning off track by being slammed into from behind both entering Les Combes and the Bus Stop by that silly wabbit :sly:
 
It's the Real DRIVING Simulator. Not the Real Grinding Simulator.
 
GranTurismo916
It's the Real DRIVING Simulator. Not the Real Grinding Simulator.

I Agree, when it becomes tense its way more fun and the difficulty of getting the right tune. I love it with a little bit of a challenge.
 
It's the Real DRIVING Simulator. Not the Real Grinding Simulator.

Meaning what?

Curiously, one way to eliminate grinding is to take money out of the game.
 
Meaning what?

Curiously, one way to eliminate grinding is to take money out of the game.

Maybe they should do that for GT6. That way we can have endless complaints about how "there's nothing to do in this game" just for something different.
 
Correct me if I am wrong but I only noticed that Spa and La Sarthe have penalties. Has anyone gotten a penalty on Tsukuba, Indianapolis or Motegi?


You are correct. For those with a pathological need to cut corners, there's still plenty of grassy spaces at Indy that need mowing. :D
 
You are correct. For those with a pathological need to cut corners, there's still plenty of grassy spaces at Indy that need mowing. :D

Right now if you manage to get your car on the grass it doesn't give you a penalty. I was doing a seasonal event in Tskuba and no penalty so I reckon they only do it to cutable tracks.
 
I just hate these penalties. I'm not a dirty driver, but a pretty average /below average driver instead, and on some corners @ La Sarthe I just can't keep on track... :grumpy:

It gets very... very frustrating...

It's the Real DRIVING Simulator. Not the Real Grinding Simulator.

It's PD's fault right there... Seasonals should give no more than 200,000 cr...
 
Right now if you manage to get your car on the grass it doesn't give you a penalty. I was doing a seasonal event in Tskuba and no penalty so I reckon they only do it to cutable tracks.


Nah, Indy is *very* cutable - there are four or five places where you can really make up time by going cross-country, and there's no penalty. I tried out straight-lining a couple places at Motegi as well, and no penalties there either. For whatever reason, it's just LeMans and Spa, at least so far.
 
Maybe they should do that for GT6. That way we can have endless complaints about how "there's nothing to do in this game" just for something different.

If taking away the money leaves the game empty, then the game was terrible in the first place.

On the other hand, if it was good, this would lead to unlimited things to do.

It's PD's fault right there... Seasonals should give no more than 200,000 cr...

It's PD's fault, but you're not right in saying what they're at fault for. If they don't understand that making a game boring does not make a game fun, then there is nothing to hope for. Making it more difficult to enjoy the game is not a bright idea.
 
"Making it more difficult to enjoy"

The people that feel this is what these penalties are doing for them, i would suggest giving your PS3/GT5 to the nearest charity shop, then go get yourselves a nintendo wii/mario kart, and do not come back here EVER.
 
The people that feel this is what these penalties are doing for them, i would suggest giving your PS3/GT5 to the nearest charity shop, then go get yourselves a nintendo wii/mario kart, and do not come back here EVER.

The reasoning behind that being? I'll tell you now that what you said makes zero sense.

It's funny how Mario Kart is sometimes brought up though. What do GT and MK have in common? Gameplay not completely focused on driving/racing that is diluted with some form of progression. Meanwhile the most realistic simulators actually focus on cars, or whatever they're simulating.
 
If people are complaining that these penalties are just a hassle and they are not having fun anymore because of them, then why not go play a hassle free game that is nothing but fun.

Either that, or learn how to avoid the penalties by becoming a better driver.
 
Last edited:
Back