Why does PD think it is our fault for their screwups?

• Thread starter gaming25
  • 48 comments
PD takes away trading as we know it. Due to PD's flawed gift system, we are now the ones who is going to have to do without. They made this ridiculous gift car system, and now they say no more trading for relevent cars. They cant even make up their minds about the seasonal events, whether or not if it will be to help us with the flawed XP/credits system, or in order to sham us by overpaying in tuning items? What type of insane logic is that? You take your energy on scamming us because you dont know how to develope a working game? You get pissed off at us for your screw ups? Its this same ridiculous logic why they are so stubborn to not give us more A Spec races, or anything else. So instead of fixing it, every week they drastically change the seasonal events because they cant make up their mind on how they would like the seasonal events to occur. If someone wants a high priced car. then SO WHAT, we payed you 60 dollars for the game, the content on the game is ours, stop trying to scheme us out of the content.

You have made 20 different updates, we get it, your game is broken, but dont be mad at us for wanting to play your broken game in the first place.

You have made 20 different updates, we get it, your game is broken, but dont be mad at us for wanting to play your broken game in the first place.

This sums up GT5 perfectly for me. I recognize a development failure when I see one.

I concur..

In fact if the servers of Sony doesn't block older version for online feature, I think most ppl will stay at 1.05 without update any further...

Okay, so... you turn a gifting system into a makeshift trading system, and tell them its their fault that you're using it in a way that they hadn't intended or anticipated?

Perhaps they want more valuable cars to keep their rarity and value, and its easier to set a global cap like a credit limit than it is to go through and tick a box next to each car that they don't want gifted. The global cap limit may require one line of code in the software, whereas manually disabling each particular car would need a new line of code for each car. I'm not entirely sure how its done but if my theories on these methods are true... don't you think its a more efficient way for them to reach their desired destination with this limit, where they can then spend more time with other things on their agenda?

If someone wants a high priced car. then SO WHAT, we payed you 60 dollars for the game, the content on the game is ours, stop trying to scheme us out of the content.

I've addressed this strange argument in another thread. Whilst I have no beef with people cheating or duping if they want to and the game allows it, the argument that we are entitled to unlock all of the game content within 3 months of release is a worrying one.

And no we don't own the content, PD/Sony do, and we purchase a license to play the game. You seem to be arguing that every game should have some sort of cheat mode which allows anyone to unlock all of the content immediately, as if that is your right.

Furthermore you can "unlock" all the content if you just exercise a little patience. Nobody is preventing you from doing that. Is it really that big an issue that a few cars out of over 1000 are a little more special and require a little more persistence and patience to be able to buy them?

Are we going to start seeing lawsuits (in the US) soon where people start suing games developers because they don't have the patience to unlock every feature without a cheat or workaround?

Years ago I played FF7 for around 120 hours, I grinded and grinded and still was nowhere near having enough XP or whatnot to defeat the "weapon" creatures towards the end. Anyone else have this problem and care to join me in a class action against Squaresoft?

Seriously, people need to be a little less hysterical and get some perspective.

Tyger
Years ago I played FF7 for around 120 hours, I grinded and grinded and still was nowhere near having enough XP or whatnot to defeat the "weapon" creatures towards the end. Anyone else have this problem and care to join me in a class action against Squaresoft?

I don't know about squaresoft but I've been stuck on this angry birds level for almost a week. Let's get them.

Dude, you paid for that game and you should be able to finish it all, because you own it. I have a barn full of pitchforks and torches, let's get an angry mob together and get 'em :)

Tyger
Dude, you paid for that game and you should be able to finish it all, because you own it. I have a barn full of pitchforks and torches, let's get an angry mob together and get 'em :)

Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. A good old fashioned angry mob to burn the witches who created something I can't finish right now!

You were conveniently prepared for this with that barn full of mob supplies.

Maybe the problem PD is trying to remedy was not the trading issue in general or preserving the rarity of cars. Maybe they wanted to stop illegal sales of cars on eBay. Or more importantly maybe they are preventing the reason for people employing rooms on the server for the explicit purpose of trading valuable cars rather than racing. When a great proportion of the rooms are titled "want X1" "want that, have this" "X1s available" etc. I bet you there are far fewer trading rooms to wade through online now. :lol:

Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. A good old fashioned angry mob to burn the witches who created something I can't finish right now!

You were conveniently prepared for this with that barn full of mob supplies.

Well any opportunity to complain and get hysterical, i'm there.

And no we don't own the content, PD/Sony do, and we purchase a license to play the game. You seem to be arguing that every game should have some sort of cheat mode which allows anyone to unlock all of the content immediately, as if that is your right.

I seriously don't get why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp.. PD don't owe us anything. If you don't like the game, move on to something else.

...I have a barn full of pitchforks and torches, let's get an angry mob together

I made a small fortune emptying my Mob Supplies barn when F1:2010 came out :D

I have to say that the bulk of the updated content is good... but there are certainly a few eyebrow-raisers!

Last edited:
Okay, so... you turn a gifting system into a makeshift trading system, and tell them its their fault that you're using it in a way that they hadn't intended or anticipated?

I think a good chunk of it is that PD made a poor system at the expense of anything that resembles a good one... how about intead of futzing around with a gift system, they just make an actual marketplace?

Furthermore you can "unlock" all the content if you just exercise a little patience. Nobody is preventing you from doing that. Is it really that big an issue that a few cars out of over 1000 are a little more special and require a little more persistence and patience to be able to buy them?

The problem is that it's not that easy... you need a LOT of patience and an almost masochistic perosnality to do so the way it's "supposed" to be done.

I forget the exact numbers but someone calcluated that to buy ever car in the game would take weekrs or months of 24 hour a day grinding indy to earn enough Cr.

I don't think that qualifies as taking a little patience, I think that qualifies as a poorly made game.

There are other option like Bspecing and sharing bobs but ultimately I don't see how either of those is fundamentally different from duping... they are just as much getting something you didn't earn as duping is.

Last edited:
Whats funny is that people whine this much about every single game title that gets released these days. Every game release is a beta in the eyes of your typical forum whiner. The rest of the world just gets on with it while they cry on the forums.

Sure, some games are pretty bad. But GT5 is not one of them. There are games that did not work at all in the first few weeks of release. Bad Company 2, Test Drive Unlimited 2, to name some of the actual bad release launches.

If a game doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean it sucks. Don't blame Polyphony Digital for blaming you because you are the one to blame.

I have a friend. Unlike myself playing since 1 he is starting with 5. I explained the past work the previous games so far have entailed in order to earn your favorite cars. As I began to play 5 I quickly noticed it will take some time to get all the cars I wanted. It did not bother me much as all of the GT editions have had some type of non enjoyable playtime needed to get what I personally wanted out of the game. So my friend starts to play and I gifted him a few cars. Just as it read. Gift. To help him along the way as a new player. A great idea. Also I have gifted to other more experienced player/friends cars I was proud to have earned and to take a spin. When I saw cars for sale on eBay I knew right away the system would change. Further, when the borrow system was introduced that sealed the deal. Anyone who thought that the gift system would last for a length of time past the borrow introduction should have seen the hit coming. The send system was not named trade, it was named gift. In addition, the cars designed by PD are not property of others to make income from. eBay sales caused this. Plain and simple. Proud player and a garage full of Group C's and LMS cars. TeamDrivetoBuy.

Tyger
I've addressed this strange argument in another thread. Whilst I have no beef with people cheating or duping if they want to and the game allows it, the argument that we are entitled to unlock all of the game content within 3 months of release is a worrying one.

Are we going to start seeing lawsuits (in the US) soon where people start suing games developers because they don't have the patience to unlock every feature without a cheat or workaround?

I agree. Good points.

After reading the first post I've only got this to say,

images

And yeah that really is me incase you were wondering.

I agree with CoolColJ

If you don't like it, just sell the game, what's the big deal. It's not like PD forced you to buy/play/keep the game.

We have an awesome game in our hands, providing the most fun game I've played in a long time, and people like you ignore that bit, and moan about it :confused: eh. We've all heard people moaning about the shadows, the damage, the weather, the trees, and the sky for petesake. It's bit a tree simulator, it's not a sky, weather or shadow simulator, it's a racing simulator.

The crazy shadow thing is actually pretty cool, it's light coming through the trees, like real life, real racing has distractions, Gran Turismo 5 has simulated that, and in real life, would you see someone trade a Ferrari 330 for a Lamborghini Muira, no, because the 330 is worth about double, that's the sort of thing that happens in the game, PD think that is stupid, so they took it away to stop people being ripped off.

PS: birksy82, epic picture :lol:

my only issue is with the paint items, when I unlocked a gold chrome last night I was happy, but knowing I will NEVER use it because once it is used, it's gone.

if they remove the paint cap so that when I unlock a paint, it's there and I can paint many more cars using the same chip, I'd be over the moon.

the argument that we are entitled to unlock all of the game content within 3 months of release is a worrying one.
I don't agree with it either, but I've seen pretty damn good arguments for why that should be the case for games that are supposedly as online-centered and skill based as this one is supposed to be.

And no we don't own the content, PD/Sony do, and we purchase a license to play the game.
This isn't a PC game. Those EULA bait and switches don't apply.

Furthermore you can "unlock" all the content if you just exercise a little patience.
It isn't a matter of a little patience.

Years ago I played FF7 for around 120 hours, I grinded and grinded and still was nowhere near having enough XP or whatnot to defeat the "weapon" creatures towards the end.
You go into a JRPG expecting linearity, and expecting to have to grind. Only the truly exceptional entries in the genre manage to avoid those pitfalls. Racing games are not JRPGs, and a 5th game in a 13 year old racing series specifically known for its freedom and open-ended gameplay certainly shouldn't be expected to play like one. GT5 isn't a JRPG, regardless of if PD thought it would be a good idea to set it up like one.

If a game doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean it sucks. Don't blame Polyphony Digital for blaming you because you are the one to blame.
Hype is a fickle thing. 9 times out of 10, it is the fault of the consumer for having unrealistic expectations.
But when a developer hypes up a game to a certain set of expectations and then does things specifically to defy those expectations, it is the developer's fault.

1. I think you will still find Sony "own" the content of the game, when you buy a game you don't buy the right to unlock all of the content regardless of skill/persistence. Platform makes no difference, nor does the media by which you acquired it. EULA is something that is more or less specific to downloadable content, and is not relevant here.

2. Expecting to unlock all the content of a game (rather than the 95% or so it is very easy to access) that, yes, took 6 years to develop, in less than 3 months after release, is pretty much a sign of impatience, or worse, laziness.

3. I don't remember a massive hype machine surrounding this game at any time from PD/Sony, in fact if anything it was underhyped. And picking up on little remarks Kaz made does not constitute hype, any hype/expectation arose from the fans, ie. us.

1. I think you will still find Sony "own" the content of the game, when you buy a game you don't buy the right to unlock all of the content regardless of skill/persistence. Platform makes no difference, nor does the media by which you acquired it.
There are specific differences between what EULAs can specify for console disc releases and what EULAs can specify for PC/DD releases. One of them is that you do own the content on the disc for the former, and you may not for the latter.

2. Expecting to unlock all the content of a game (rather than the 95% or so it is very easy to access) that, yes, took 6 years to develop, in less than 3 months, is pretty much a sign of impatience, or worse, laziness.
Development time is completely irrelevant to the idea, and lack of patience isn't the problem for reasons Devedander outlined above (though those aren't the only ones; or, I would argue, even the major ones).

3. I don't remember a massive hype machine surrounding this game at any time from PD/Sony, in fact if anything it was underhyped. And picking up on little remarks Kaz made does not constitute hype, any hype/expectation arose from the fans, ie. us.
You completely ignored what my post actually said. I never said anything about how there was a huge hype machine for the game. What I said was the game did not meet specific expectations that were set by the hype that PD/Sony did put out, and some of those expectations were intentionally not met rather than being down to an inability to meet them.

Whats so hard about unlocking the games content? do you want them to give it away for no ingame effort? or are you an ebayer and are sore about the 1million credit trade ban?

Also, i think you will find that we do not own the contents on the CD, only the licence to use it, we also are not permitted to lend it or use it for any commercial event.

Back