WHY doesn't the G25 wheel work w/XBox 360?

• Thread starter vampyr
  • 35 comments
I understand that the XBox doesn't recognize the wheel, but has anyone here or with gtplanet.net actually asked Microsoft or Turn 10 'why'?

Wouldn't a simle update patch from Microsoft fix this?
I just scratch my head when I think about the following that Forza has, yet Microsoft's support of racing wheels are non-existent.

First off, there's a lot of new wheels coming out for the 360.

Second, the Xbox uses a somewhat special interface for its controller devices, but Logitech can't be bothered to make a wheel that's compatible with that. Blame them, not Microsoft. As you can see, Fanatec is perfectly capable of creating wheels for the 360. That also work with the PC and PS3, to boot.

Microsoft doesn't really make a wheel anymore. It's just a 'U' shaped device that you kind of just hold in the air. It's not really a racing wheel in any respect.

So Logitech is to blame? That's too bad, as I've always been a fan of Logitech products. Looks like I won't be buying any new Logitech devices any more.

As for Fanatec's 911 GT2 wheel, is it good enough to replace the G25 I use for GT5 and other PC racing games?

Fanatac is usually of very, very high quality - but pricey.

I, myself, am going to wait for the Fanatec CSR wheel to release.

I understand that the XBox doesn't recognize the wheel, but has anyone here or with gtplanet.net actually asked Microsoft or Turn 10 'why'?

Wouldn't a simle update patch from Microsoft fix this?
I just scratch my head when I think about the following that Forza has, yet Microsoft's support of racing wheels are non-existent.

Why dont you ask Logitech? There are way better wheels for the xbox available than the G25 and there will be more in the future.

And no, a simple patch wont "fix this", because it is different technology.

You made the decision to buy a wheel that is PS3 and PC compatible. The one to blame here is yourself. Either buy a new wheel or play with controller.

any idea when the CSR is coming out? I also wonder how well it will be supported on GT5 as well as PC. (Right now, it looks like a Forza exclusive wheel)

any idea when the CSR is coming out? I also wonder how well it will be supported on GT5 as well as PC. (Right now, it looks like a Forza exclusive wheel)

Thomas from Fanatec said that they will release the Clubsport Wheel this year, which is PS3 & PC only. I think that the CSR will be in the same timezone, but maybe later.

I can tell you that the GT2 is a class better than the G25. The G25 feels more like a toy, while the GT2 does feel like a solid and real steering wheel.

Why dont you ask Logitech?

I have... but the response has been an automated reply.

You made the decision to buy a wheel that is PS3 and PC compatible. The one to blame here is yourself. Either buy a new wheel or play with controller.

I bought the G25 LOOONG before the XBox 360 ever came out.
And before that, I bought the Logitech Momo racing wheel.
And I also bought the original MS Xbox 360 wheel and pedals when Forza 3 came out.

I've been using the G25 on my PC to play GT Legends, GTR, GTR2, F1 Challenge 99-02, rFactor, Race 07, GTR Evolution, and NASCAR Racing Season 2003.

I also have been playing GT5, Shift 2, and F1 2010 w/ my G25 on PS3 without much issue.

However I usually end up using my XBox controller when I play PGR, PGR2, PGR4, Race Pro, Shift, Forza 2, Forza 3, and GRID.

Yeah.. I've been racing computer games since the days when Papyrus was the major race sim developer.

So saying I have myself to blame? Yeah.. I blame myself for purchasing one the THE MOST PURCHASED racing wheels in the history of racing sims. I blame myself thinking that a manufacturer actually WANTS you to continue using their products. And I blame myself for replying to ignorant posts like yours.:crazy:

I can tell you that the GT2 is a class better than the G25. The G25 feels more like a toy, while the GT2 does feel like a solid and real steering wheel.

You own the GT2? I've been thinking about getting it, but wonder if it works well between the PS3 racing games and the XBox 360 racing games. Would love to know how it works with other XBox 360 games like GRID (My favorite racing game) and PGR4. I like Forza, but usually end up playing other games more often.

Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit there? If you had the G25 that long, I suppose it didn't suprise you that none of the Logitech wheels work with the Xbox.

Either way, the new Fanatec wheels (CSR, CSR Elite and Clubsport) should be released somewhere around the end of 2011.

It is more on. MS than Logitec. MS controllers have to have specific buttons and no extras. Add to that the licensing to use the xbox interface. It becomes costly. Perfect example is the Fantatec gt2 and gt3rs pricing. Identical wheels but the gt2 has xbox compatability and is priced higher. Thomas has also stated that MS will not allow development or licensing of a "converter box" to fool the xbox into thinking it is using an authorized product.

Shouldnt this be in the steering wheel forum?

Fanatac is usually of very, very high quality - but pricey.

I, myself, am going to wait for the Fanatec CSR wheel to release.

Same here.

With Microsoft they want Racing Wheels with the buttons of their Xbox Controller, so the G25/7 wouldn't work, because the wheel buttons wouldn't be the same as Xbox Buttons. Plus the LED Rev Counter.

There are converters around to make the G-series work (well, somewhat work) with the Xbox, though, no?

Besides, adding the wireless Xbox connection is bound to get the price up, either way. Of course, MS not using a standard USB interface or anything is bound to increase the price somewhat, but I doubt that that's a reason to blame MS for the fact the Logitech wheels aren't compatible with the Xbox.
If a relatively small company like Fanatec deems it to be worth having an Xbox-compatible wheel around (and is able to afford the licensing for the Xbox interface, no less), there's little excuse for Logitech to not do the same.

Luminis
There are converters around to make the G-series work (well, somewhat work) with the Xbox, though, no?

Besides, adding the wireless Xbox connection is bound to get the price up, either way. Of course, MS not using a standard USB interface or anything is bound to increase the price somewhat, but I doubt that that's a reason to blame MS for the fact the Logitech wheels aren't compatible with the Xbox.
If a relatively small company like Fanatec deems it to be worth having an Xbox-compatible wheel around (and is able to afford the licensing for the Xbox interface, no less), there's little excuse for Logitech to not do the same.

Youre right on the box. But as you said... somewhat works.

Fanatec only has 1 wheel at the moment that is xbox ready. Who knows its fate once the new line is released.

I do agree that logitech has no excuse other than financial.

And I doubt even the financial reasons. If they went ahead and released a wheel that's similar to the G25 when the Xbox was still a bit newer (to go with PGR and Forza), they porbalby would've done quite well. But they didn't.

Luckily, I don't care. The CSR Elite is an awesome wheel and a half. If the standard CSR is even half as good, it'll satisfy all my needs.

I'll definitely keep an eye out on the Fanatec CSR. I'll have to see reviews first.

Nonetheless, the fact that G25 starts up when plugged into the USB port of the XBOX 360 means that Microsoft XBox 'has' the ability to support USB devices other than flash drives.

If MS wanted to support the G25, they could easily port their Windows drivers over to the 360.

Could you imagine the possibilities if Polyphony, Turn 10, and Codemasters got together to create the ultimate racing sim?

Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit there? If you had the G25 that long, I suppose it didn't suprise you that none of the Logitech wheels work with the Xbox.

Actually.. it DID suprise me. Considering that the XBOX Operating System and Windows uses alot of similar code. In fact, some of the handles used to call certain functions are identical to Windows programming.

Wouldn't it be possible to do something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fZbTz2CPo

Actually, I think it's way more simpler than that.

You can blame Logitech for not releasing an Xbox compatible wheel, of course.

But you can also blame Microsoft for using a proprietary interface.

It works both ways.

On the initial topic, the G25 doesn't work 1/ because the Xbox uses a proprietary hardware interface which is not compliant with the G25, so the G25 cannot work "right out of the box", and 2/ because MS doesn't allow direct access to USB ports from developers, so no developer can just "make a driver" and use it in its game to make the G25 work nonetheless.

Nonetheless, the fact that G25 starts up when plugged into the USB port of the XBOX 360 means that Microsoft XBox 'has' the ability to support USB devices other than flash drives.
Anything that's plugged into the xbox will at least get power from the USB port. That should be enough to make the G25 start up.

If MS wanted to support the G25, they could easily port their Windows drivers over to the 360.
I highly doubt that. After all, you can set a PC up to support basically anything. Just because I can find drivers to support the Wiimote on my PC doesn't mean there's the chance that it'll be ever possible on the 360 - after all, the Xbox's operating system is far different from Windows. Different Hardware, after all.

At the end of the day, it's the wheels manufacturer's decision whether to go for Xbox compatibility. MS can hardly see to it by themselves, can they? They might as well start making wheels themselves - because, as it stands, Logitech wants to sell Logitech wheels. Why would it be MS's responsibility to help them do so?

Could you imagine the possibilities if Polyphony, Turn 10, and Codemasters got together to create the ultimate racing sim?
Yeah, they'd get into a massive fight and kill each other.

Logitech needs to make their hardware work with the 360. Pretty simple as that.
Probably the reason they don't is this would increase the price of their wheel out of the target price range (extra $70). Logitech is much larger company than just focus on wheels (unlike Fanatec). Logitech seems to market a $300 wheel; G27 and a budget wheel for $150 tops (DFGT).

Probably the reason they don't is this would increase the price of their wheel out of the target price range (extra $70). Logitech is much larger company than just focus on wheels (unlike Fanatec). Logitech seems to market a $300 wheel; G27 and a budget wheel for $150 tops (DFGT).
And selling a Driving Force Whateverthey'dcallit at 220$ would still put it in a far lower price range than the Fanatec wheels and still open up a new market for Logitech - it still seems like it would make sense to do so, especially if they can build on the DFGT and wouldn't have to do all the R&D.

And selling a Driving Force Whateverthey'dcallit at 220$ would still put it in a far lower price range than the Fanatec wheels and still open up a new market for Logitech - it still seems like it would make sense to do so, especially if they can build on the DFGT and wouldn't have to do all the R&D.

Indeed, and they could do a lot of the R&D so they can cut costs on not having to buy a complete PCB from Microsoft, just do the licencing.. I'm not sure it's $70 though, I know we can infer ballpark figures from Fanatec, but I wouldn't say it's that high.. licencing of a product isn't going to be anywhere near that, the main cost will be any supplied PCB's no doubt.

I get the feeling that Logitech and MS have fallen out some time ago, I think partly because MS may have refused a licence for any product that would more directly compete with the MS Wireless FFB Wheel, and partly that Logitech like a lot of larger companies make more demands then most, and MS may not have been willing to bend..

I might be a bit paranoid here, with all the licensing issues and exclusvity deals going on, but Logitech seemingly has always worked pretty close with Sony and the GT franchise. I wouldn't be too suprised if that's another reason that's keeping them from making an Xbox-compatible wheel.

Most of Logitech sales actually come from their Windows products (web cams, keyboards and mice). I think they are pretty much humping MS.

Back