Why even Australia?

• Thread starter Emmcee
  • 74 comments
That's the thing, they didn't incorporate any Supercars tracks. Surfers is driveable when laid out like the Gold Coast 500.

There's also no route to Mount Panorama. The Mecca of racing here. If the game is loosely based on Australia, at least those to locations could be accurate. T10/PG went through the trouble of allowing players to design their own races, drones, weather patterns. A drive around Bathurst both ways, pictures at the Bathurst Museum in front of the Brock statue, at top of the mountain for a photo op with other players, it all could have played out well.

I get the party atmosphere of the game. Thing is, the biggest "party" in Australian motorsport, is happening this week. I don't know what their budget was, but there is another missed opportunity.
I can understand not having Bathurst, due to it would've taken up a large part of the map. It's the same reason Horizon 2 didn't have Monaco.

There's a fictionalised version of Surfers you can drive on, but it isn't marked in-game and there's no specific race featuring the route.

What I would've liked would to have been a replica of the original Surfers Raceway. It's only about 3.25km long, and an icon in Aussie touring car history that was needlessly destroyed. Had they recreated it 1:1 for us to test cars on, I woulda been chuffed to bits. There's even a 1km airstrip in the infield that would've been perfect for the drag race kiddies.

The outback is flat and wide, hot arid desert. With lots of red sand and bush and scrub. Miles around with nothing but flat roads and desert.
Boy, if that ain't screaming "fun driving" than I don't know what does!

han.gif

This, right there, is why they didn't go for accuracy.

Boy, if that ain't screaming "fun driving" than I don't know what does!

han.gif

This, right there, is why they didn't go for accuracy.
Slamming through the desert in a buggy at 100khm doesn't sound fun?
Racing along the blacktop without having to stop at 400kmh doesn't sound fun?

Slamming through the desert in a buggy at 100khm doesn't sound fun?
Through a flat desert? Certainly not as fun as doing the same in an area that has elevation as well.
Racing along the blacktop without having to stop at 400kmh doesn't sound fun?
I did that on the highway about an hour ago. And in a video game, no, going 400kmh isn't fun to me by itself. It boils down to just holding down the right trigger unless there's reason to stop every now and then - or at least dodge traffic. Which is why it's fun on the highway, to me.

The best width roads are the two that go around outside of the air strip. Narrow and cambered. Love speeding along them.

I must say I like this game but I feel it could've been done so much better with the Australian landscape.

I concur,

BUT,
you can EASILY do 200+ up the beach.

As for the other saying you NEED these hugely wide unrealistic roads for good racing.....

just model teh roads correctly, and remove the walls

I concur,

BUT,
you can EASILY do 200+ up the beach.

As for the other saying you NEED these hugely wide unrealistic roads for good racing.....

just model teh roads correctly, and remove the walls

Now try that with a car as wide as a wide body Aventador and some oncoming traffic 👍

WIthout the walls in place, easy.
the Aventador is 2030mm wide,
An Indy-Car is only 37mm skinnier at 1993mm

I must say I like this game but I feel it could've been done so much better with the Australian landscape. I live literally 5 mins from surfers paradise and there is nothing recognisable land mark wise in its proper position. Even the road on the water front allows you to plough through surfers at 200+kph which in reali life is a crawl at times due to low speed limit and one lane roads. insuprised the local council here hasn't used this game as an excuse as to why car enthusiasts are consistantly harassed by law enforcement.

I'm not sure if you're new to the franchise but the first Horizon was supposedly Colorado and the second southern Europe and neither were remotely faithful recreations. They never claimed to be and weren't supposed to be.

I'm not sure if you're new to the franchise but the first Horizon was supposedly Colorado and the second southern Europe and neither were remotely faithful recreations. They never claimed to be and weren't supposed to be.
Byron Bay and the 12 Apostles could've switched locations on the map and they would've been in more accurate places relative to their locations in reality. Especially because Byron Bay in reality faces east and the 12 Apostles face south. The reverse is true in-game.

I've never been to Europe or Colorado so as far as I know, that's what it looks like. And that's the point I trying to make. I've put it down and gone back to f1 2016 anyway, will return but I have a few unfinished games I rotate to keep things fresh.

Back