Why I pre-ordered Shift-2 Unleashed.

• Thread starter squeakD
  • 38 comments
First let me start off by saying that I own all the major gaming systems. I'm a di-hard console racer who appreciates all of these titles for the different things each has to offer the player. I have all the major console racing titles too (including the first NFS Shift on both the PS3 and XBox 360).

Unlike the vast majority out there I was VERY pleased with Shift 1. Granted (like every title released today) there are some issues with it. Many consumers in the very beginning ditched Shift 1 before the first patch was even released. I honestly think that group of people really don't understand what they missed out on with Shift 1.

I pre-ordered Shift 2 Unleashed because it appears that SMS has addressed many of the concerns that were present in the original title, and added more. There are now two modes for the physics (which looks very promising too). Night racing has been added, and much of the original title (which had some VERY good features) has also been carried over as well.

My biggest gripe with the first Shift was the AI. Even though the physics were very arcade like (due to the center axis steering).., I was able to find ways to compensate for that with minor tweaking of the controls. For me the AI was horrible.., and in many instances just seemed like SMS said "lets see how many a-holes we can pile onto one track". The AI essentially ruined Shift 1 for a lot of people.

Shift-2 (based on the development interviews) has done a complete overhaul on the AI.., and are supposed to have seriously toned down the aggression. That IMO is a HUGE improvement by itself!!!

The original title had issues with consumers because the boneheads on the development team (cough cough.., Jesse Abney) were dumb enough to tote NFS Shift 1 as a SIM. That was one of their biggest mistakes IMO. They set the bar too high for themselves, and didn't raise themselves or the game to that level in order to meet consumer expectations. IMO.., had Shift been marketed properly (simply as one of the best arcade racers to date) things may have gone better. Truthfully..., Shift 1 (is) in terms of physics.., the best arcade racer made. There is also GRID.., but the physics in GRID don't compare to Shift.

I think SMS has learned a lot from their mistakes with Shift 1. Plus Shift 1 was a HUGE gamble for SMS and EA. All the franchise fans were pissed to see the illegal street racing and cop chases taken away. That's understandable.., but it's also understandable when a franchise decides to make changes to titles based on "current gaming popularity". Truth is.., SIM style racing is starting to take off with the consoles. The need is there.., and EA had to make a wise business decision to stay in the game. That's just business folks.., as I really have a hard time accepting EA wanted to piss off all the fans. They had to go with current consumer expectations.

I'm very excited about Shift-2. Will it have issues upon release..., hell yes it will. What title doesn't these days. For Pete's sake even GT-5 with all of the time they spent on development wasn't "really finished" upon release.

Bottom line.., you're either gonna like the Shift franchise or you're not. Those of you who bitched an moaned about the first Shift not having cop chases.., well you simply have no room to groan anymore, so don't bother flooding forums with negative posts trashing the game just because it doesn't have cop chases. We're now on the 2nd edition, and those of you should ALREADY KNOW it WILL NOT have cop chases.

The market shows that consumers interest in console SIMS is greatly increasing. Personally.., I'm glad they took this route with the Shift series. Shift 1 (being based on circuit racing) is the ONLY reason I bought the title to begin with. I've passed over ALL of the previous NFS titles because I have no interest in illegal street racing and bling blinging a car to the point of "ghetto-fab". (That's just me though).

**Just on a side note..., even though I have GT5 Prologue, GT5, Forza 2/3, GRID, DIRT 1/2, F1-2010, Race Pro, and several others.., NFS Shift-1 still gets a lot of play time on both of my systems. The original Shift IMO still to date has THE BEST cockpit experience on ANY console title.**

Last edited:
^nothing to do with bonus content then?

Embargo's set alarms bells ringing.

I listen to developers but take it with a pinch of salt nowadays.

^nothing to do with bonus content then?

Embargo's set alarms bells ringing.

I listen to developers but take it with a pinch of salt nowadays.

Bonus content isn't always what drives me to pre-order a title. Believe me.., I learned a long time ago to not rely on pre-release development diaries posted by the developers.

Honestly.., I can't think of one over the last few years that has really lived up to what they said their game was supposed to be. T-10 burned a lot of people with Forza-3.., GT-5 has its issues (even though some things that were promised have yet to be seen). Codemasters gave everyone a big middle finger with F1-2010 with their half-ass patch update that made the game worse for many.

I'll pre-order a title (and if it lives up to as advertised) then I'll pre-order the next. Shift 1 didn't live up to it.., but I didn't pre-order it and bought it after a major price drop. I pre-ordered Forza-3 and regretted that decision.., which is why I won't pre-order Forza-4. Gonna wait till it's released to see if T-10 cleaned up their act. I pre-ordered F1-2010 and certainly will not be pre-ordering F1-2011.

Well I pre ordered because of the lack on content that GT5 brought to the table. Only racing titles I typically play are GT and the NFS Hot Pursuit series. I passed on the new installment of Hot Pursuit though.

Now my wallet is open to any title that gives me what I expect. Other than the demo, I didn't play Shift 1. I am chancing this title primarily due to the track selection. It looks awesome. If everything else falls in line, I will be a happy camper.

I can't wait til the 29th. I took (1) vacation day to play all day when this hits stores. I made the mistake of taking the whole week for GT5. Luckily it was the week of Thanksgiving so I was off 2 days anyways.

I've preordered it because it looks like it's going to be a good, fun sim(-esque) racing game. That's all there is to it, for me.
And I preorder most games that I want to get on release day.
I can always exchange the copy for another game if I dislike it within three days, so I'm good, I think.

Well I pre ordered because of the lack on content that GT5 brought to the table. Only racing titles I typically play are GT and the NFS Hot Pursuit series. I passed on the new installment of Hot Pursuit though.

Now my wallet is open to any title that gives me what I expect. Other than the demo, I didn't play Shift 1. I am chancing this title primarily due to the track selection. It looks awesome. If everything else falls in line, I will be a happy camper.

I can't wait til the 29th. I took (1) vacation day to play all day when this hits stores. I made the mistake of taking the whole week for GT5. Luckily it was the week of Thanksgiving so I was off 2 days anyways.

I hear ya man! I ordered my version for the PS3. Turns out a game my wife pre-ordered for the XBox comes out around the same time :nervous: It'll end up being a "I had it first" daily argument in my house :)

I've only had GT-5 a few months.., and I have to be honest.., the events are so few that I'm quickly losing interest in the game. I still do the Remote Races to get credits for my friends.., but the title overall IMO is seriously lacking in good content. Sure the graphics are good.., but what's the point of good graphics if the game lacks content.

Just pre-ordering Unleashed you get 40 new events! Hell the Special Events alone in Shift-1 probably come close or possibly out number the A Spec events in GT-5. That's just the Special Events (not even counting the actual career races).

I've preordered it because it looks like it's going to be a good, fun sim(-esque) racing game. That's all there is to it, for me.
And I preorder most games that I want to get on release day.
I can always exchange the copy for another game if I dislike it within three days, so I'm good, I think.

That's exactly what I'm looking at this title to be. A good cross between arcade and SIM. They tried it with Shift 1.., but sadly other issues prevented it from reaching that goal.

I still say SMS and EA learned a lot from Shift 1. They took a gamble.., made some mistakes and it appears they are trying to fix those issues with Unleashed.

That's exactly what I'm looking at this title to be. A good cross between arcade and SIM. They tried it with Shift 1.., but sadly other issues prevented it from reaching that goal.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be a full blown sim, but then again, that'd mean something of iRacing's level. A bit more on the simulation side than Shift 1, that's the least I'm hoping for and I think that goes pretty well with what SMS said about the game so far.

I'm not going to be putting it away if it isn't as much of a simulator as, say, GT5 or Forza 3 if it's enjoyable enough, though ;)

Unlike the vast majority out there I was VERY pleased with Shift 1. Granted (like every title released today) there are some issues with it. Many consumers in the very beginning ditched Shift 1 before the first patch was even released. I honestly think that group of people really don't understand what they missed out on with Shift 1.

To be fair, Shift 1 lost a lot of people on day one for being unbearably buggy. It's expected that games have a few issues on release, it happens. But Shift 1 was on a whole other level. Some cars were basically undriveable. The wheel took serious tweaking to get to a state where it was usable. Some races didn't work. Some races stuttered so badly it was impossible to finish them. And various other things.

I agree with you, I enjoy Shift 1 to this day and think it was a decent game. Parts of it were excellent, parts were not, but overall it was good. But they shot themselves in the foot with the 1.00 release, it was absolutely shocking. If the release code had been what we have today after all the patches I think the response to it would have been a lot less angry.

Shift 2 *should* be different. They're not racing (hah!) to beat Forza and GT to market this time. They're building on already established code, which tends to result in less bugs and weirdness. They're in a good position to produce a solid, polished product.

To be fair, Shift 1 lost a lot of people on day one for being unbearably buggy. It's expected that games have a few issues on release, it happens. But Shift 1 was on a whole other level. Some cars were basically undriveable. The wheel took serious tweaking to get to a state where it was usable. Some races didn't work. Some races stuttered so badly it was impossible to finish them. And various other things.

I agree with you, I enjoy Shift 1 to this day and think it was a decent game. Parts of it were excellent, parts were not, but overall it was good. But they shot themselves in the foot with the 1.00 release, it was absolutely shocking. If the release code had been what we have today after all the patches I think the response to it would have been a lot less angry.

Shift 2 *should* be different. They're not racing (hah!) to beat Forza and GT to market this time. They're building on already established code, which tends to result in less bugs and weirdness. They're in a good position to produce a solid, polished product.

Fortunately I didn't pre-order the first Shift. Yes.., you're right. Upon release the first Shift was an absolute nightmare for consumers. The title was clearly rushed to production.

Plus you're also right in that they're not having to compete with GT-5 or Forza at the moment. Forza-4 won't be out for another 6 months.., and GT-5's been out for several months already.

If EA does the launch right they just might have a big seller on their hands.

No cop chases? F//% EA what are you thinking? this is not a NFS game if it doenst have any cop chases.... Im not getting this anymore...

No cop chases? F//% EA what are you thinking? this is not a NFS game if it doenst have any cop chases.... Im not getting this anymore...

Funny funny. Also, it IS technically not a NFS game any more. They removed that branding from it. It's just "Shift 2: Unleashed".

I pre-ordered Shift 2 Unleashed this afternoon, at EB Games,I gave my old games for it.
Once there, I've been told , giving back games to pre-order Shift 2 will get me a 50% bonus on each game, so here are details of my deal:
F1 2010 __________ 19.25$ + 9.62$ bonus = 28.87$
TDU 2 ____________ 14.50$ + 7.25$ bonus = 21.75$
NFS Underground ___ 3.50$ + 1.75$ bonus = 5.25$
NFS Pro Street _____ 1.50$ + 0.75$ bonus = 2.25$
Pro Sega Rally ______ 1.25$ + 0.62$ bonus = 1.87$
_______________________________ TOTAL 59.99$ which is exactly the price of the game :sly:

Great deal hmm ? :dopey:

F1 worth more than TDU2.

I know TDU is bad but that's odd.

I wouldn't get rid of F1 myself but the other crap their willing to take fair enough.

How could you get rid of F1 2010? The season is about to start! My copy will be getting a serious workout right up until about September, when I will trade it for F1 2011 :)

How could you get rid of F1 2010? The season is about to start! My copy will be getting a serious workout right up until about September, when I will trade it for F1 2011 :)

Yeah me too. Im planning to do the season race by race in step with the real F1 season.

Im preordering this because this is has Bathurst and night racing and FIA GT1. Winning!

Yeah me too. Im planning to do the season race by race in step with the real F1 season.

Im preordering this because this is has Bathurst and night racing and FIA GT1. Winning!

Me too, although I got impatient and did the first 4 races in advance so now I have to try and finish that season by next weekend so my second season lines up with the real one.

Oh and don't forget to do Bahrain first :)

Same here. You have several month til 2011 gets here. My F1 will stay with me until 2011 comes out. If Shift 2 turns out to be a great game, then you might not even take it out of your unit until F1 2011 arrives. Regardless though I won't trade it in. I never trade in my old games. I save them for my kids. They don't know the different between old vs new. They just want to play.

I won't preorder, but I have a fresh amazon gift card that I've been saving just for Shift 2. Shame on me for believing the Shift 1 ads and grabbing it on launch day, but I'm not yet totally discouraged by the series.

I will buy as long as folks can verify:
  • Physics are at least as sim-ish as GT4.
  • The FFB wheel handling from Shift 1 has been corrected.
  • G25 (PS3) is still supported.
  • Rubber-banding isn't there or can be disabled.

That's all there is to it. My requirements don't seem very harsh, and there was a lot to like about Shift 1 once I put the wheel away. It was easily the best NFS game I've ever played, but these days I need something a bit more evolved.

Last edited:
I'll pre-order through GameStop but not pick it up until several days later, so i can cancel if it's not what i expected based on comments here.

I'll pre-order a title (and if it lives up to as advertised) then I'll pre-order the next. Shift 1 didn't live up to it.., but I didn't pre-order it and bought it after a major price drop. I pre-ordered Forza-3 and regretted that decision.., which is why I won't pre-order Forza-4. Gonna wait till it's released to see if T-10 cleaned up their act. I pre-ordered F1-2010 and certainly will not be pre-ordering F1-2011.

I can't understand this at all... Forza 3 was an awesome game, as was F1 2010. Shift 1 was rubbish and yet you are prepared to pre-order Shift 2 based purely on marketing hype?

Pre-ordered the Limited edition as soon as Game.co.uk had the game in stock.

Honestly these two weeks cannot go quick enough for me, I have started dusting of my Logitech Wheel in anticipation of this game.

First track for me will be Bathurst in the dark but only in Time Trial.

Now i have to try and wangle a day off work when this get's released.

Funny funny. Also, it IS technically not a NFS game any more. They removed that branding from it. It's just "Shift 2: Unleashed".

I'm not entirely sure they have removed the NFS branding; at the bottom of the box art shots, Need for Speed is towards the bottom, beneath the cars.

I'm not entirely sure they have removed the NFS branding; at the bottom of the box art shots, Need for Speed is towards the bottom, beneath the cars.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/16/shift-2-unleashed-loses-need-for-speed-and-adds-hot-pursuits/

Given that it's an EA racing game, and they're using Team Need for Speed drivers as consultants, and the NFS Autolog, and all sorts of other things it's going to have some NFS logos and such in there somewhere.

But strictly speaking, the title is "Shift 2: Unleashed". SMS has made a point in interviews to make sure we knew that, which means it's important to them. I'm not trying to say that it's important what the title is, everyone knows it's a NFS game. But it shows that their future plans are to separate this from what is considered the typical NFS style game, and I think that's important.

I wish GT5's AI had a "Need for speed" about them.

Do you think a good sim would damage their arcade brand lol.

I wish GT5's AI had a "Need for speed" about them.

Do you think a good sim would damage their arcade brand lol.

That would be hilarious.

"I hate Need for Speed, it's too realistic! It's so hard to drift and I keep spinning at every corner! Ridge Racer is so much better than this crap!" :sly:

That would be hilarious.

"I hate Need for Speed, it's too realistic! It's so hard to drift and I keep spinning at every corner! Ridge Racer is so much better than this crap!" :sly:

Actually I've heard a lot of very similar comments about Shift1 on another gaming forum that I go to. The sim-friendly crowd is not the majority in terms of video gamers, or even the majority in terms racing game fans. I suspect that many who picked up Shift for it's NFS branding were unhappily surprised by the handling model.

Actually I've heard a lot of very similar comments about Shift1 on another gaming forum that I go to. The sim-friendly crowd is not the majority in terms of video gamers, or even the majority in terms racing game fans. I suspect that many who picked up Shift for it's NFS branding were unhappily surprised by the handling model.

Undoubtably so. It'll be funny on the day that people stop buying the latest Hot Pursuit clone because they don't like Shift though. Which is probably why they're trying to separate them.

Back