Why I still haven't bought GT5P

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lemminkainen
  • 50 comments
  • 3,245 views
Messages
124
Am I the only one here who doesn't have it yet?

Preface:
I bought a PS1 because I played GT1 at a friend's house. I bought a PS2 when GT3 came out. I have a PS3 but for other games. Over a 2 year period I had more than 2x mileage in GT3 than I did in my own car in real life. I finished GT4 to 100% once and gave up on it at about 90% the second time. The only GT I've played in the last yeah and a half is GTHD (just to see it).

So here's my analogy of why I don't have GT5P (remember - just an analogy)

Let's say I'm a huge fan of the Ford Mustang. I have an earlier model that I absolutely love but don't drive much any more, and Ford is coming out with a whole new version. The catch is, their new version is still in the middle of development, so they put out their new mustang, and it's only a 6 cylinder, automatic transmission, and it only comes in that late-1960's-nappy-green color. Oh, and it was going to have air conditioning but there was a problem with licensing the technology for it, so that's not available yet.

My options here are to (A) buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC, or (B) wait until the red convertible GT is available.

Maybe I really really love the new Mustang, and it's tempting, you know? I go to these forums and lots of other people are driving the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC. They talk all the time about how they keep demanding that Ford make it with a V-8, that they should at least have black paint as an option... I'm tempted, but driving the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC is just such a disappointing thought. It's like going to prom with your sister or something.

You see, if I get the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC, wouldn't that be giving the wrong signal to Ford? Won't they think "Wow, selling this initial pre-edition Mustang was a great idea! Look at how many people love the nappy green color, and even the lack of AC doesn't seem to keep them from buying it! We have to do this more in the future! In fact, let's put off working on the convertible GT, and give these faithful fans something to show our appreciation, like maybe a wood steering wheel, or floormats with the horsie on them!"

I just can't do it. I just can't bring myself to buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC.

I'll wait for the red convertible with a big V8, but I'm not gonna be happy about it.
 
Nice analogy but a big price difference between the cost of a car and a half-price game.

The gimped version may be gimped, but I've had my miles worth and she hasn't let me down yet... not while the the manufacturer promise us V6 drivers a free supercharger bolt-on and free maintenence! Yeah, I'm a happy V6 owner... well, apart from the fact that she isn't fully loaded with features and doesn't have that V8!
 
Last edited:
Not bad... but its a glass-half-empty view in my opinion. Here's my analogy:

They release the mustang early but you're only allowed to drive it to and from work and to visit the inlaws in case it breaks down. Some days it goes faster than others and its handling characteristics are strangely unpredictable. Occasionally a Ford engineer turns up and fiddles with it for a while, then smiles at you and departs without saying anything.

Also, if you decide to drive near any other new Mustang owners, some of them suddenly start swerving around and trying to run you off the road. A Ford spokesman is reported to have said they are working on the problem.
 
Last edited:
I'll wait for the red convertible with a big V8, but I'm not gonna be happy about it.

See you in 2010 online buddy. Oh, and somehow I get the feeling you won't be happy WITH it either. :)
 
What I told myself was that basically I was paying for a full blown racing game (come on, 70+ cars and 12 track layouts) that labeled itself as an introduction for less than the price of a modern full racing game.

I can understand if you're short of money, but otherwise it's a beautiful choice.


Oh, and I have it for that nostalgia factor. After GT5 comes out, I'll be able to pop in Prologue and compare the differences myself, and I'm a collector like that.
 
I take it you don't want a nappy-green 6 cylinder automatic without AC.:lol:
 
Why not rent it and if you like it enough buy it?
 
I can never understand this logic. Prologue is cheap, and its given me something like 10 months worth of play now. Why not just get prologue now and play while you wait for real deal? I really dont understand what is to gain by waiting.

When GT5 comes out we will still both be playing it. Difference is that I have had lots of fun with prologue in the mean time while you have been staring at a wall.
 
My options here are to (A) buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC, or (B) wait until the red convertible GT is available.
If the green Mustang cost $50 and the red Mustang $100 I'd just buy both. I'd want to be one of the Mustang "beta testers", because it's the only real chance I'd have of influencing the final design.

Polyphony will be collecting stats on which races people are entering, which cars they're using. They are basically votes on what people would like to see in GT5. You don't get a vote, let alone a chance to meet Kazanori Yamauchi and give him your feedback in person.
 
My friends on Xbox live are always asking whether its worth buying GT5P and my response is this. If you already own a PS3 then most certainly buy it, however if like me you go out a purchase a PS3 just so you can play Prologue then my response is most definately NO!

On the day of purchasing my PS3 I must of changed my mind dozens of times because I kept on thinking it is really worth buying a console for a game. However I came to my senses and realised that this is Gran Turismo, the series I have loved to play for many years. Since then I have become annoyed at myself for buying the console. At first I loved my time on Prologue but since then I have become frustrated because here we are towards the end of 08 and I still can't race against my friends. Furthermore since I purchased the 40GB PS3 version, Sony very kindly decided to release the 80Gb version for the same price!

On this forum you get the diehards who will not have a word said against prologue. However in the real world many have become frustrated and disappointed with prologue which is why stores such as Game have recieved many trade in requests.

You only need to read this forum to see how bored some people are. We now have a thread about what racing shoes people wear. We even had a thread referring to injuries whilst playing Prologue! whats next a thread asking about our favourite snack whilst playing?
 
whats next a thread asking about our favourite snack whilst playing?


Hahaha ... maybe even a thread about who gets the numbest arse after playing for hours :lol:

funny stuff man 👍
 
My friends on Xbox live are always asking whether its worth buying GT5P and my response is this. If you already own a PS3 then most certainly buy it, however if like me you go out a purchase a PS3 just so you can play Prologue then my response is most definately NO!

On the day of purchasing my PS3 I must of changed my mind dozens of times because I kept on thinking it is really worth buying a console for a game. However I came to my senses and realised that this is Gran Turismo, the series I have loved to play for many years. Since then I have become annoyed at myself for buying the console. At first I loved my time on Prologue but since then I have become frustrated because here we are towards the end of 08 and I still can't race against my friends. Furthermore since I purchased the 40GB PS3 version, Sony very kindly decided to release the 80Gb version for the same price!

On this forum you get the diehards who will not have a word said against prologue. However in the real world many have become frustrated and disappointed with prologue which is why stores such as Game have recieved many trade in requests.

You only need to read this forum to see how bored some people are. We now have a thread about what racing shoes people wear. We even had a thread referring to injuries whilst playing Prologue! whats next a thread asking about our favourite snack whilst playing?

I know GTs (the full versions) are console sellers but buying a PS3 just for Prologue must be rare and is a bit crazy if you ask me.
 
Am I the only one here who doesn't have it yet?

Preface:
I bought a PS1 because I played GT1 at a friend's house. I bought a PS2 when GT3 came out. I have a PS3 but for other games. Over a 2 year period I had more than 2x mileage in GT3 than I did in my own car in real life. I finished GT4 to 100% once and gave up on it at about 90% the second time. The only GT I've played in the last yeah and a half is GTHD (just to see it).

So here's my analogy of why I don't have GT5P (remember - just an analogy)

Let's say I'm a huge fan of the Ford Mustang. I have an earlier model that I absolutely love but don't drive much any more, and Ford is coming out with a whole new version. The catch is, their new version is still in the middle of development, so they put out their new mustang, and it's only a 6 cylinder, automatic transmission, and it only comes in that late-1960's-nappy-green color. Oh, and it was going to have air conditioning but there was a problem with licensing the technology for it, so that's not available yet.

My options here are to (A) buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC, or (B) wait until the red convertible GT is available.

Maybe I really really love the new Mustang, and it's tempting, you know? I go to these forums and lots of other people are driving the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC. They talk all the time about how they keep demanding that Ford make it with a V-8, that they should at least have black paint as an option... I'm tempted, but driving the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC is just such a disappointing thought. It's like going to prom with your sister or something.

You see, if I get the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC, wouldn't that be giving the wrong signal to Ford? Won't they think "Wow, selling this initial pre-edition Mustang was a great idea! Look at how many people love the nappy green color, and even the lack of AC doesn't seem to keep them from buying it! We have to do this more in the future! In fact, let's put off working on the convertible GT, and give these faithful fans something to show our appreciation, like maybe a wood steering wheel, or floormats with the horsie on them!"

I just can't do it. I just can't bring myself to buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC.

I'll wait for the red convertible with a big V8, but I'm not gonna be happy about it.

Nice example. But do not compare car world with game world. They both work differently. But I know what you mean.
BUT PD promises to give a lot in GT5, they released GT5P because SONY pushed them to for the FANS. Because it will take a long time for GT5 to come out. As well PD wanted to preview game with new physics, online, FAN feedback, and update. With all the feedback they learn so that GT5 full game will be a great experience. If there was no PROLOGUE, GT5 would be stuck with GT HD physics. Which would suck ____.

I think you really need to buy the PROLOGUE. And start positing your professional written FEEDBACK of the game. Because that is the best reason PD released Prologue game. Sure its for some founds into GT5, but they have plenty of it, so it's not a reason why.
 
Last edited:
OK I'm one of the rare ones as I bought my PS3 just for GT.Am I happy with GT5P?YES!:tup:I understand the limitations of this game and embrace it for what it is.A place to hone my skills for the day GT5 comes out.(and if I can transfer my garage over,I'm set)I have found ways to keep this game fresh and fun.By finding a chat room,voice or otherwise.This helps you run with the crew you want.The multi forum events,I think I'm involved with 4 at this time.Right now the best event is the "No Mercy" event as they have done away with all aids.This makes it very close to real racing as I have found in a game.All Pro events should be this way.:sly:I would tell anyone to get this game as long as they remember that it is not the full version and there are some short comings.But beening part of something that is helping to shape the full version is something I enjoy.Yes,this might be a V6 now,but just wait and see what happens when they swap in the V8.:)
 
I'm happy with my v6 'stang and maybe when the v8 come out, I'll have a v6 with twin turbo and aftermarket a/c and will out perform your rather "stock" v8 (I mean, I may have certain advantage over new player like: cars and cash imported over to GT5) and maybe that Ford will grant me with a Mustang GT500 (instead of the regular GT) available only to those who test drive their v6 variant ;)
So if you want to to have a completely stock GT with a/c, go ahead and wait 'till the full release of it, in the meantime (sp?) I'll be racing my tuned V6 :P
 
I take it you don't want a nappy-green 6 cylinder automatic without AC.:lol:
lmao!:lol:
Mr P
Hahaha ... maybe even a thread about who gets the numbest arse after playing for hours :lol:

funny stuff man 👍
lol:D
This thread is helarious...how many times does the....nappy-green 6 cyclinder automatic without AC is get repeated! Well if Ford brings out a nappy-green 6 cyclinder automatic without AC:D and you don't buy it, then that is your choice, however other people might like to test out the latest Mustang...even if it is a nappy-green 6 cyclinder automatic without AC. lmao!:lol:
Rusty*
 
It may be nappy green and it may be a V6 but i am having a great time testing this baby :)
 
OK I'm one of the rare ones as I bought my PS3 just for GT.Am I happy with GT5P?YES!:tup:I understand the limitations of this game and embrace it for what it is.A place to hone my skills for the day GT5 comes out.(and if I can transfer my garage over,I'm set)I have found ways to keep this game fresh and fun.By finding a chat room,voice or otherwise.This helps you run with the crew you want.The multi forum events,I think I'm involved with 4 at this time.Right now the best event is the "No Mercy" event as they have done away with all aids.This makes it very close to real racing as I have found in a game.All Pro events should be this way.:sly:I would tell anyone to get this game as long as they remember that it is not the full version and there are some short comings.But beening part of something that is helping to shape the full version is something I enjoy.Yes,this might be a V6 now,but just wait and see what happens when they swap in the V8.:)

Same here- I'm certainly not a gamer- I bought MGS4 and hated the game. After my 360 RRODed on me, I bought the PS3 (came with Motorstorm). I would say 90% of my time spent on the PS3 is for GT5P. Although recently I picked up Ferrari Challenge (Crappy!) and Midnight Club:LA (works great with the G25).
I think the OP's anal-ysis of his decision is overwrought considering that a copy of GT5P is less than $30. My advice is for him to step down from his mighty-crazy-over-analytic-chair and get with the program which includes a $150 Logitech DFGT.
 
(remember - just an analogy)

It seems you’re trying to mix apples and pears here. That said, when I was younger my big sister took me at her parties from time to time, and those never disappointed.;)
And sure that downgraded Muscle car could have become handy if only I had the age of having... a driving licence:dopey:. Anyway you should look for fun and pleasure were you can get it.:)👍
 
Makes sense on one hand, but on the other, it doesn't.

Buy both games. Prologue has given me a huge amount of satisfaction over the last 10 months, a lot more satisfaction than I'd get the price of say... a nice bottle of bourbon?

Prologue is cheap entertainment. I understand that some people don't have the cash or would prefer to wait, but like many others have said, we'll have a huge leg-up and massive racing experience over the noobs who start playing GT5 for the first time.

We all understand the shortfalls of Prologue, that's why us fans have been hard at work to change things. Yes we are fans, no we don't like people bagging our favourite game. But YES we love constructive criticism, it's the heart and soul of any forum.
 
I just can't do it. I just can't bring myself to buy the nappy-green, 6-cylinder, automatic without AC.

I'll wait for the red convertible with a big V8, but I'm not gonna be happy about it.
If you speak about the whole experience I see the Prologue more as a rough pre-production big V8 without any extras than a V6, that would fit better on GT4.

I know GTs (the full versions) are console sellers but buying a PS3 just for Prologue must be rare and is a bit crazy if you ask me.
Less rare than you think, a lot of people bought a G25 for Prologue too. This demands a poll. :P
 
Well, it seems a rather poor analogy. The question should be: Does GT5P offer me something GT4 doesn't and is it worth paying for? Of course the paying becomes more of an issue if you haven't got a PS3.

The analogy seems to suggest GT5P is missing things that GT4 had and which were at the heart of the experience. In my opinion GT5P brings more to the table in terms of the experience of driving but obviously less cars and tracks and shorter races (no fuel or tyre wear). Of course GT5 introduces on-line which people seem t have a love hate relationship with.

For me my PS3 is justified on the basis of other games, media center abilities and so on. I don't think I would have got it for GT5P alone.

So for me the question was: Do I want GT5P for €30?. Well, yes I did and yes I do. Of course people are bored with it after 10 months, but for the price that's pretty good.

For me, I still play it but then I work quite a lot and am married so I sometimes don't play for a few weeks, which keeps it fresh, plus I play other games. I got GT4 out last week, had a bit of fun but went back to GT5P.

As for sending the wrong signal to the games producers, I think that falls into the "biting off your own nose despite your face" category :-)

Still it's your money and your choice!
 
If you speak about the whole experience I see the Prologue more as a rough pre-production big V8 without any extras than a V6, that would fit better on GT4.


Less rare than you think, a lot of people bought a G25 for Prologue too. This demands a poll. :P

yeh, definitly less rare than you think I saved up for about a year and sold a lot of my old stuff so I could get my g25, ps3 and prologue definilty worth it in my opinion, oh and I agree with what someone said about the g25 and midnight club it works really well on that game much better than it does on gt5p.
 
Not bad... but its a glass-half-empty view in my opinion. Here's my analogy:

They release the mustang early but you're only allowed to drive it to and from work and to visit the inlaws in case it breaks down. Some days it goes faster than others and its handling characteristics are strangely unpredictable. Occasionally a Ford engineer turns up and fiddles with it for a while, then smiles at you and departs without saying anything.

Also, if you decide to drive near any other new Mustang owners, some of them suddenly start swerving around and trying to run you off the road. A Ford spokesman is reported to have said they are working on the problem.

:lol: Best reply in a long time!👍
 
I bought my PS3 mainly to play GT5 when it comes out. I downloaded the free HD preview but didn't like the rally track they included with it. Then I bought prologue because it was better than nothing.

Then I discovered online racing and realised I'd have to get a wheel to keep up so I got a G25.

I don't regret a single penny that I've spent so far and, even though it's only a large demo I've spent more hours playing it than any other game in my collection.

Whenever I get bored with the same two tracks I just remind myself that to run as many laps as I have on suzuka and fuji for real would have cost me tens of thousands of pounds by now but, if I had the money, I'd be more than happy to drive the real tracks this number of times.

I'm patiently waiting for more tracks and then, when the full version comes out, a bona fide 69'GT40 which I will mainly drive around Laguna and Infineon. In fact, if prologue had included this car and those tracks I'd have to think long and hard about actually buying the full game.
 
I bought my PS3 mainly to play GT5 when it comes out. I downloaded the free HD preview but didn't like the rally track they included with it. Then I bought prologue because it was better than nothing.

Then I discovered online racing and realised I'd have to get a wheel to keep up so I got a G25.

I don't regret a single penny that I've spent so far and, even though it's only a large demo I've spent more hours playing it than any other game in my collection.

Whenever I get bored with the same two tracks I just remind myself that to run as many laps as I have on suzuka and fuji for real would have cost me tens of thousands of pounds by now but, if I had the money, I'd be more than happy to drive the real tracks this number of times.

I'm patiently waiting for more tracks and then, when the full version comes out, a bona fide 69'GT40 which I will mainly drive around Laguna and Infineon. In fact, if prologue had included this car and those tracks I'd have to think long and hard about actually buying the full game.

Driving the C6 Z06 is enough for me, GM's halo car that I would otherwise be unable to drive. Because of online racing and tuning I will only get bored of GT5:P when GT5 comes out, unless we don't have it yet mid-way through 2010 as I'd be getting anxious by then.
I still remember my first online race, in an Alfa Brera and I won too. Online racing was something I thought I would never get to do, yet here we are, and it's better than ever imagineable.

Edit: I will have to tune you a GT40.:sly:
 
I don't regret a single penny that I've spent so far and, even though it's only a large demo I've spent more hours playing it than any other game in my collection.

+1 👍
 
I don't regret a single penny that I've spent so far and, even though it's only a large demo I've spent more hours playing it than any other game in my collection.

+2

The only game I play more than GT5P is GT4!
 
Back