Why is GT7 so boring?

• Thread starter Sinisalo81
  • 124 comments
I’ve now done everything I want to do in GT7, it took just over 4 months of playing pretty regularly. I haven’t done everything there is to do; such as golding all the licenses and circuit experiences. I don’t think I have the patience (or interest) to sit there doing the same thing over and over until I get it. I haven’t collected all the cars. A good chunk of them, but to be honest I have little interest in 50’s and 60’s cars or collecting every single Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 car, etc. I acknowledge their importance to the history of motorsport and all that, but they don’t really do it for me. I haven’t done all of the rallying events, or the Red Bull car events, and a few others. Not even touched Music Rally. So I still have stuff to do, but it’s not stuff I’m particularly interested in so I’d only be doing it for completion’s sake and not for enjoyment.

While I was enjoying it, I was really enjoying it - it could’ve been more challenging though, a lot more. I think I’m more of a fan of the early part of the game in the Gran Turismo series on the whole, the normal road car bits and less so the actual motorsport proper racing car bits.

So I’m now having my third ever replay of GT4, back to checking out the weird and wonderful obscure Japanese cars in the used car dealers. I think this is kinda where the heart of the series lies, and 4 is the best of them for this.

I’ll be back to GT7 before long though I’m sure, once a few more substantial updates come along.

Last edited:
What makes GT7 boring is the whole menu book and chase the rabbit race gameplay loop. The menu book should be something you do on the side, not a main part of the game. They have so much content to work with, they could of had a deep and structured career with all of it. It was a real missed opportunity for them.

Last edited:
1- there’s a thing called licensing, if they achieve with the brand or car owners a license contract, they can add a car, track or song .. otherwise they can’t… just before GT sport launches PD lost the lotus license and didn’t achieved an agreement since.. sad , but that’s life.

2- in real life racing there are rules, don’t pass with more than 2 wheels the track limit lines , in GT you have the rules they put in to avoid some behavior.
Get used to it, like in the real world rules.
Seems that you don’t have PS5 were you can race against sophy AI , wich has a great behavior and realistic.

For the rest, GT is GT since the old games in single player, it’s a game, wich offers content and amusement for everyone, from kiddos to adults.
Go to track experience for big credits and if go trough Cafe mode to unlock everything, start with sport mode, where you have special events, and with gold medal you get 2 million credits, offline you have weekly challenges, wich gives good money to , if you’re in for serious races, online welcomes you in two formats, sport racing or you can go for private lobbies and get races in virtual as on a real race… you see ? Amusement and content enough for all type of people and ages.
With that i answered more than one point

Dirt racing, it isn’t the best around, that’s for sure, but it offers the option.

GT is a game, a good one, and a great entrance to car culture, racing for lot of levels offline, competitive online, car photography , tunning, community.

Some people will stay with GT, others will move to more developed dedicated hardcore sims , but no doubt that GT is still the perfect entrance to simracing gaming world

If you don’t like it, which is legit, move on , go to other sims as AC, ACC , iracing, but don’t forget something, they are also still games, where pausing you can get back to pits after a crash or you can’t get be hurt as in real life racing.
And it’s less expensive also 😉

Or you can combine both worlds, one to have fun with the racing rules and options a game offers and burn adrenaline in a real life racing environment following the real world normative.

See you around, I will keep enjoying GT7 wich is a great game together with other sims I have in my collection and go on real life track now and then to burn some adrenaline and enjoy to drive some cars
1. Thats a point, but if the lost licens they have years ago, than its a big fail from PD dont keep they alive! Nobody will this VGT Cars...they nice...the projekts with the manufactures are nice...but not so important than real cars.

2. The rules are ok, but when in mission or licenstest stey dont hit other cars, and i dint hit them, than they crash in my back, why i must restart...thats def. not the rule, make no fun, and is wastet time...give no Cr. and the Gold-Cars i can also buy in BC. A game should make fun.

I dont speak from the Online Races...there is all fine.

Yes only PS4pro and all other gens bevor

Community...where is the officiall GT-Forum...theres nothing on GT homepage. All sides i find a fan build sites...also PD do nothing for Community.

Think also it is better go out on real Racetrack, Seasion starts soon :)

Reading the original post, I got the feeling it was both. Don’t think English is his first language so maybe he chose the word boring when he should have chose a different word.

I will say this, if none of my GT7 friends are on… I usually create liveries and rarely race, because the single player races are boring MOST of the time. I just don’t even bother. I don’t do sport or random online lobbies much because I just get frustrated because I’m taken out by the first few corners. So that leaves single player and it leaves a lot to be desired.

IF people drove like they were actually in the car and had consequences for their actions, you might have a hard time pulling me away from the game. Once again players can ruin a game by the way they play it.

We play DMZ on call of duty a lot. It’s turned into, spawn and RUN because now for some reason everybody just spawns and heads straight for other spawn areas to hunt other players instead of doing missions and just happening to come across people. It’s a bloodbath and it has become less enjoyable than it once was.

I’ve raced online, given two car widths thru a corner, with a car on the inside, I hold the outside line, somebody punts me off. I’ve been the car on the inside line before, still get knocked off. It’s like people drive through corners with their eyes closed and chance it. So that’s made it boring for me, but I will be checking out that thread you mentioned. Curious how they’re solving the boring issue, booze perhaps. Lol
You are right...Switzerland

And you're comparing GT7 to what?
My first racing video game was Street Racer. It makes GT7 look like gold, but when I first got it, Street Racer was the bomb. It retailed for $30, which would be about what the 25th Anniversary GT7 cost me almost two years ago.
I dunno, maybe having experience with 4 1/2 Gran Turismo titles, a number of Namco racers, and a number of Sega racers might make me see a few omissions in GT7.
Try it in VR, it's a game changer. As for missing info...well...in real life I drive a truck very similar to the Raptor. Mine is 4 wheel drive and has a sport package plus a few mods. I don't get lap times or a leaderboard. I don't get to adjust fuel maps or brake balance on the fly. If I get a course map and radar, it's because I brought them with. It'll tell me what gear the transmission is in, so maybe that counts. I don't have a driving line or suggested braking zones, though.
Now if I go in game, the dash in the Raptor is only partially functional, so I get a bit less info than I do in real life unless I turn on the in game HUD.

We addressed how wrong you are back in October so let's address it again,
GT7 now stands at 195 single player races plus additional 28 races coming from the 10 championships, which guess 3 of those are World Championships.

31 races of the 223 races above are specific to race cars .
Therefore for any road car in the game, it is eligible to enter 86% of the races
All 491 cars can be used for 86% of races that are not specific to a dirt/snow rule or a rule of only kei cars or only skylines for example

Hardly a tech demo and hardly barely use for half the cars.
Spouting quantity of races does not invalidate my point on a career being absent. By this logic. GTpsp is the greatest in the series. Regarding "three world championships" you're being a little unclear so allow me to ask a question. Are you saying there are three "world championships" where you start a series of races with no break in the events until a champion is crowned? This is important for one reason, only one menu book has this format to my knowledge.

@shadow0460 "Try it in VR" 1) not everyone has a PS5, 2) not everyone wants to spend at least £800 for a game which contains microtransactions and false engineered FOMO

Last edited:
I've been thinking about GT7 and eventual burn out. I'm about 150 hours in, and still a ways off - and I have some criticisms - pretty much all of them are mild, though.

I was thinking: I've seen this before. GT3. It was good, but.. after the scope of 2 and the lack of cars I actually wanted, 3 felt like the initial experiment for the new platform, with which to build....

Somehow I imagine Polyphony are already hard at work on GT8, working on all the issues they undoubtedly know fans have with 7. It's already a great game. Wishful thinking, sure, but there's a precedent.

One simple answer to that is because all the cars in the game aren't available as rental cars in World Circuits (Quick Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race modes only) and Split-Screen Race.

Spouting quantity of races does not invalidate my point
Yes it does invalidate your point as the amount is clearly not a tech demo and half the cars are not useless
on a career being absent.
You've only brought up career now, not in the other posts, almost as if you're back pedalling because you're wrong.
There is a career menu, I addressed this to you last year July and you still didn't listen:
The career is handled by means of a Cafe, where you progress through ownership of various cars through the menu books to drive them in specific races if you'd like or you can buy the cars to complete the menu's, GT7 is a car collecting game with the emphasis on exploring and enjoying car culture. Not a career of becoming a racing driver or the next best street racer which I'm assuming you're trying to compare this to other titles.
GT7 is titled as the real driving simulator, it's driving and the progress through the cafe menu if you choose to do the menu's as intended covers that.
I think your expectations of what the game is and should are the issue more than the game itself.
I've bolded the crucial part that you seem to not get about the game so it's easier to understand, but you do acknowledge the cafe as the career anyway since you reference it being associated with a championship race.
Regarding "three world championships" you're being a little unclear so allow me to ask a question. Are you saying there are three "world championships" where you start a series of races with no break in the events until a champion is crowned? This is important for one reason, only one menu book has this format to my knowledge.
Those 3 I mentioned are:

Menu book 33: Championship of 3 races around World Touring Car 600 where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 36: Championship of 3 races around World Touring Car 700 where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 39: Championship of 5 races around World GT Series where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races

others in cafe menu:
Menu book 4: Championship of 2 races around High speed ring where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races.
Menu book 9: Championship of 2 races around Tokyo Highway where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 17: Championship of 2 races around Trial Mountain where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 21: Championship of 3 races around Asia-Oceania where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 29: Championship of 3 races around Pan-America where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races

So that's 8 championships in Cafe Menus right? not the one

Your opinions on this game are yours to have but they are incredible inaccurate and disingenuous to continuously spout as you do
to my knowledge.
Which I'll address again, is shocking on GT7, it is almost as if you have only watched YT videos of GT7 to base your opinions about it

Last edited:
Yes it does invalidate your point as the amount is clearly not a tech demo and half the cars are not useless

You've only brought up career now, not in the other posts, almost as if you're back pedalling because you're wrong.
There is a career menu, I addressed this to you last year July and you still didn't listen:

I've bolded the crucial part that you seem to not get about the game so it's easier to understand, but you do acknowledge the cafe as the career anyway since you reference it being associated with a championship race.

Those 3 I mentioned are:

Menu book 33: Championship of 3 races around World Touring Car 600 where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 36: Championship of 3 races around World Touring Car 700 where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 39: Championship of 5 races around World GT Series where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races

others in cafe menu:
Menu book 4: Championship of 2 races around High speed ring where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races.
Menu book 9: Championship of 2 races around Tokyo Highway where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 17: Championship of 2 races around Trial Mountain where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 21: Championship of 3 races around Asia-Oceania where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races
Menu book 29: Championship of 3 races around Pan-America where points are earned after each race and a champion is crowned based on whoever has scored the most points after those races

So that's 8 championships in Cafe Menus right? not the one

Your opinions on this game are yours to have but they are incredible inaccurate and disingenuous to continuously spout as you do

Which I'll address again, is shocking on GT7, it is almost as if you have only watched YT videos of GT7 to base your opinions about it
Most of those menu books are not championships in the mould of the series. They are solo events you can check off, very very different.

The very moment you dismiss my commentary as "almost as if you have only watched YT videos of GT7 to base your opinion about it" your credibility became eroded. First of all, most YT videos suck up to PD. Second, I have completed the menu books (which, I reiterate, is not a true career mode) and also done multiple other elements such as the missions, even the odd sport race.

The car roster, as good as it is, requires way too much engineering from the player for entry. I'm all for races having regulations, however, this is a driving simulator, not an engineer simulator (side note, that would actually be an awesome bespoke mode. Buy your team a chassis, employ aero guys to tweak it, hire drivers... just an idea. PD)

As an entry in the series, this remains a boring disappointment. I don't see very many people doing "career" in this game. You see it all the time for 2, 3, 4, even 5 has started getting thanks to modern mods. Audience retention proves it too.

Regarding the "car collecting culture", that's a real example of "Gran Turismo is back." Make excuses all you want, the series backbone has previously been championships and races.

Last edited:
+

= decide what you want with your nonsensical rants.

No, that was only GTS.
The ultimate driving simulator which included GT World Championship, GT All Stars, 1000 Miles, All Japan Championship, DTM, British GT Championship, Formula GT... All "championships" with no race breaks between and full classifications with qualifying... how am I wrong to say they are not the backbone?

GT Sport was a pretty shallow e-sport focused game which gained a lot of offline solo modes... so... your point is, what?

Most of those menu books are not championships in the mould of the series. They are solo events you can check off, very very different.
Every one of the game's 10 championships is an uninterrupted series of races with no breaks. The game doesn't let you enter other events in-between until you've finished the series.

Last edited:
Not defending sswishbone here, but I will say the championships lacked imagination. Most of them were one track with both directions. Granted, I haven't played GT5 or 6, but in the earlier games championships always consisted of more than 2 races.

Even if we take this standard... GT7 has less combined championships than GT4's special events on its own. That is embarassing
I think it's unfair to compare to GT4, a game quite littered with events. GT4 also came out as it was on launch, but today you can add more to your game.

Last edited:
I think it's unfair to compare to GT4, a game quite littered with events. GT4 also came out as it was on launch, but today you can add more to your game.
It's unfair? Why? When did it become unacceptable for a game to have proper content? Also, they can add to the game? So where are the championships? There has been cars (welcome), tracks (very welcome), one off events (not bad) ... but where are the championships? Where is the true career?

Also, Kaz, where are those endurance races you promised over eighteen months ago?

It was rhetorical lol
I figured, but only Kaz knows why GT7 is in the state that it is.

I too long for the endurances, even though I would like to see championships too.

kaz.gif

Wrong, addressed by:
Every one of the game's 10 championships is an uninterrupted series of races with no breaks. The game doesn't let you enter other events in-between until you've finished the series.
Which highlights again that your initial point is invalid
The very moment you dismiss my commentary as "almost as if you have only watched YT videos of GT7 to base your opinion about it" your credibility became eroded.
same can be said about yours when they are factually incorrect and/or have no relation to the how GT7 actually plays like.
The car roster, as good as it is, requires way too much engineering from the player for entry.
Wrong, it has been shown countless times that people have been doing the weekly challenges in standard/stock cars about 50pp under the recommended,
I don't see very many people doing "career" in this game.
Wrong again lots of people have had to do it in order to unlock tracks and features such as buying engine swaps
You see it all the time for 2, 3, 4, even 5 has started getting thanks to modern mods. Audience retention proves it too.
Care to share where you have this data to prove this? bet you can't show me.
Regarding the "car collecting culture", that's a real example of "Gran Turismo is back." Make excuses all you want, the series backbone has previously been championships and races.
They're not excuses, they are facts to go against your nonsensical claims
It's unfair? Why? When did it become unacceptable for a game to have proper content?
The content is there, already explained with all the cars and all the races you can do in the game, please read.
So where are the championships? There has been cars (welcome), tracks (very welcome), one off events (not bad) ... but where are the championships? Where is the true career?
Already explained above but you simply can't seem to comprehend words.
So lets look at it then:
Gran Turismo 2 GT All stars - 5 race championship
Gran Turismo 7 World GT Series - 5 race championship

These are different how? You have Nostalgia goggles glued soo hard onto your head you cannot see how good of a game GT7 actually is, but you keep moving goal posts again and again

Last edited:
ahh so now we've moved the goal posts from no championship's to there are championships but they're a joke, great to see who I can add to ignore list then

Edit: it amazing to see what people have to resort to when they're confronted with facts, the pettiness to belittle a video game is astounding

Last edited:
ahh so now we've moved the goal posts from no championship's to there are championships but they're a joke, great to see who I can add to ignore list then
My goal posts have not changed. Enjoy your echo chamber

Edit: Yes it’s amazing that you choose to add people to your ignore list when they present you with facts about how garbage single player is.

Last edited:
I figured, but only Kaz knows why GT7 is in the state that it is.

I too long for the endurances, even though I would like to see championships too.

View attachment 1332065
I would mock... but my moves blow chunks by comparison

@AlexWilmot you've compared one GT2 event with GT7. Cool. Care to do a like for like with 1000 miles, Formula GT, British GT, DTM, All Japan, 80's classic, Normal Car Championship...

See, this is your issue, you're too busy drilling down it is narrowing your focus. So, again, this game has great cars, has great tracks, has great graphical fidelity, has great frame rates, has decent physics, has a plethora of licence tests. This cannot, and has not, been denied.

However, GT7 has ten championships, a mere fraction of those found in other series entries. That is embarrassing, it is undeniable.

As for the GT7 career comments? That was my phone missing a key word, run-through. Go on YouTube and you will find career playthrough as late as 2024 for classic GT, modern one? Not so much.

Last edited:
However, GT7 has ten championships,
Thought you said there weren't championships? now there are? make up your mind sir
As for the GT7 career comments? That was my phone missing a key word, run-through. Go on YouTube and you will find career playthrough as late as 2024 for classic GT, modern one? Not so much.
Here's the first thing that pops up on youtube search for GT7 career mode:

Wrong again? Sure looks like it, and there are more videos too

Last edited:
@AlexWilmot I'm quite sure the point people are trying to make is, the so-called career of the game is not a career of any kind, and the so-called championships are lackluster. So, referring to championships or no championships depends on what's discussed: facts or appeal.

It is a fact we have championships, but they should hardly be called such. They are nothing like the earlier games. As for "career", people on YouTube refer to it as such because it's the closest thing, and also helps people not familiar with the game to grasp that this is GT7's version of a career.

Last edited:
Thought you said there weren't championships? now there are? make up your mind sir

Here's the first thing that pops up on youtube search for GT7 career mode:

Wrong again? Sure looks like it

I don't consider, personally, three races a championship. The FIA regulations during 2020 when it came to forging an F1 championship had a minimum 8 races (same standard utilised by WEC) still, even if we consider these as "championships", the volume is pathetic at best

As for the video? You've found one, cool, I didn't say no one was playing. So... your point?

Back