Why is Kaz straight up lying about the features in the game?

• Thread starter Farushi
  • 48 comments
Farushi
So in the GTP interview, when asked about the lack of a traditional career mode Kaz said:

"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added."

Now some people assumed he was only talking about the career mode, but then he says the same thing in this IGN interview. When asked about what's new in GTSport he says:

"In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features..."

Considering we know that the game won't have the course maker or dynamic time of day, then that comment is just not accurate.

So is this a translation problem? If so then what is he actually trying to say?

Pure marketing talk as usual.

"technically" there is Arcade Mode, a Career Mode, a regular online mode, Splits screen -- all the normal features in every GT game. GTS adds: Livery Editor, Scapes, Sports Mode and VR. So again "technically" this is the most feature rich.*

*if you don't count: car customization, gt auto, Senna challenges as features.

"technically" there is Arcade Mode, a Career Mode, a regular online mode, Splits screen -- all the normal features in every GT game. GTS adds: Livery Editor, Scapes, Sports Mode and VR. So again "technically" this is the most feature rich.*

Exactly, just look how they are both answers to "single player/offline content; online focus".

This is a , "For the first time ever... in Gran Turismo Sport... New features, new cars, for the first time ever... in Gran Turismo Sport..." nothing has been dropped... from Gran Turismo Sport.
Yes, there are less cars than in the other GTs, but "more" cars will be added...for the first time ever... in Gran Turismo Sport.
Lying, was saying the game was coming out November 17, 2016.
Now, he's not lying. He's being slick. :sly:

Considering we know that the game won't have the course maker or dynamic time of day, then that comment is just not accurate.

Pluuuuus it's easy to spin "PS3-quality dynamic weather and time-of-day" into "significantly more detailed baked weather and time-of-day" and actually construe that as an improvement, because the execution will be much better.

Curious about body customization, wheel/rim selections & customization, upgrades like Exhausts, Turbos, Super-chargers, Nitrous, Intakes, ECU, etc., car wash, oil change, rigidity, race modifications, and such... I'm really hoping these are still in for public/private online, career, and arcade modes at the very least, online & arcade.

Because the development started (at least) in December 2013 and meanwhile many great racing games are avalaible or will be before the GTSport release. Games with more tracks, cars, customisation...And Forza is now considered like the authority on casual car games. Imagine you're not aware of what is GTSport, I would expect a canonical GT four years after the last one. He must "lie" to appear credible.

Because the development started (at least) in December 2013 and meanwhile many great racing games are avalaible or will be before the GTSport release. Games with more tracks, cars, customisation...And Forza is now considered like the authority on casual car games. Imagine you're not aware of what is GTSport, I would expect a canonical GT four years after the last one. He must "lie" to appear credible.
Oooooo, you mentioned Forza. Only took 11 posts in. What's next? You'll be referencing PCars 2 or something. Whoops... typed the "P" word. *slaps wrist*

Seriously,
Curious about body customization, wheel/rim selections & customization, upgrades like Exhausts, Turbos, Super-chargers, Nitrous, Intakes, ECU, etc., car wash, oil change, rigidity, race modifications, and such... I'm really hoping these are still in for public/private online, career, and arcade modes at the very least, online & arcade.
..I think these customizations are already in the form of the fantasy Gr.1/Gr.3/Gr.4/Gr.B. Preloaded RM cars, per se.

Oooooo, you mentioned Forza. Only took 11 posts in. What's next? You'll be referencing PCars 2 or something. Whoops... typed the "P" word. *slaps wrist*

Seriously,

..I think these customizations are already in the form of the fantasy Gr.1/Gr.3/Gr.4/Gr.B. Preloaded RM cars, per se.

Those aren't "customization options". They're preset, pre-baked, "one-size fits all" alternatives. The issue with that becomes my "custom" is exactly identical to yours & everyone else's. Kind of defeats the purpose & definition of "custom" if it can't be "customized" to ones own liking. The key is in variety.

So is this a translation problem?
The first question that springs to mind is 'What exactly does one define as a feature?'.

Well, actually, the first question is 'Do we know everything about the finished game yet?' - because right now we're assuming that course maker isn't in it, along with a bunch of other things - but that doesn't really help.

I'd be almost certain that Yamauchi has not forgotten all the things that were in all the previous games. I'm absolutely positive he hasn't forgotten things like vehicle tuning, used car garage, dynamic weather and time, the Moon and course maker, so we're left with a few possibilities:
1. They're in the game
2. They're not in the game and Yamauchi has overstated
3. They're not considered as 'features'

Let's take dynamic weather. Yamauchi has said that dynamic weather isn't in GT Sport. He's also said:

Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added.

In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features.
So the three options are:
1. It's a feature that is in GT Sport and he was wrong to say it isn't.
2. It's a feature that isn't in GT Sport and he was wrong to say it is.
3. It's not considered to be 'a feature'.

Yamauchi isn't prone to lying. He's prone to optimism and excitedly telling people about what's planned to be in the next game (and the one after it), very much in the same way that Peter Molyneux was*, but I've never come across an actual lie. Sure, GT games have missed release dates, and the next game is always 'probably 80% done' and this thing and that thing had to be pared down from the original plan to the final product (course maker, for example, was 100km x 100km, then 50km x 50km, then released at 10km maximum track length), but never 'this is in my game' when it patently wasn't.

This makes me wonder what is and isn't considered to be a feature. Ultimately, I think it's something that could stand some clarification before anyone leaps in with 'he's straight up lying'.

We may have some more interview opportunities before the game is released, and if we're able, we'll put these questions to him.

*I've heard stories from those who have worked with both, and they share a characteristic of being super-excited about what they're doing to the point of accidentally telling journalists what they're trying to get into the next game rather than talking about the current game that the journalists are there to see. Molyneux was legendary for it, and the publishers he worked for were perpetually in damage limitation mode because he was revealing things that were not only years down the line but might not even make the cut because they were years down the line. This may be why Yamauchi always has a Sony handler or three at any event where he might speak to journalists, and Translator-san may act as another layer of protection; this is also why it was great when he came to speak to me, on his own and in English, about my MX-5!

*I've heard stories from those who have worked with both, and they share a characteristic of being super-excited about what they're doing to the point of accidentally telling journalists what they're trying to get into the next game rather than talking about the current game that the journalists are there to see.
Next Thrustmaster wheel confirmed to be a Direct Drive wheel.:sly:

Didn't Kazonuri say in goodwood 2014 that they would put the interior views in the vision GT of GT6??
And a lot of more cars? Not even the Hyundai and bugatti vision achieved to enter GT6...

Didnt he promised a sound update that never came in GT6..

Or the FIA Championships that would start in spring 2015 in GT6...

Maybe not lies...just broken promises:sly:

I just can't believe anything what's he is saying... Once he said last year that GT Sport isn't a genuine simulator and Don't even pursuit that goal.. And days after he was saying that it will be a realistic simulator...

I just think that he is a real good salesman!

Now in this E3 we started again.... To GTplanet 177 cars, to IGN and in conference 140 cars....

At the end the best thing is wait and see what the game offer once its realesed

I saw some news at e3 and it's not direct drive it's more like a stepper motor or similar to club sport v2.5 level I was not impressed.
I was joking for the next wheel after T-GT :)
Here's a picture from inside in case you have not seen it:

%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%B7-%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B5-png.653461

Dual belt drive.

One door of convenience is that some things were not shipped on day 1 - a course maker comes to mind (that lets you put your own work in).

Didn't Kazonuri say in goodwood 2014 that they would put the interior views in the vision GT of GT6??
And a lot of more cars? Not even the Hyundai and bugatti vision achieved to enter GT6...
I did that interview, it was in 2015, and no:
GTPlanet: None of the VGT cars so far has had a full interior cockpit view. Why is that?
Yamauchi: This time around when we’ve been doing the current VGT cars, the schedule has been very tight between the design and the actual release of the cars, so often there wasn’t enough time to model them. On other occasions the manufacturer hasn’t really provided us with an interior. But we intend to implement interiors for all of the VGT cars.
See the words "GT6" in there? I don't.
GTPlanet: Are there any other manufacturers that weren’t previously in the VGT schedule to be included in the future?
Yamauchi: I can’t say which one, but yes. We’re still having more and more cars being added – some manufacturers want to make a second car even though they’ve already released one!
See the words "GT6" in there either?

I'll quite happily grant you that sometimes Yamauchi will say something that doesn't come to fruition - as I mentioned earlier, it's just that he's so excited about "x" that he tells you about "x", but sometimes it turns out that "x" can't happen for some reason - but in the above you have (or someone else has, and relayed to you) simply read more into what he was saying than what was said. In this case he was talking about adding VGT cockpit views and more VGT cars, and this has somehow ended up as "in GT6" for you.

It was interesting to read that back when I was transcribing it originally to see exactly how it was phrased. The fact that GT6 wasn't mentioned specifically perhaps should have been a clue to us as well!

So in the GTP interview, when asked about the lack of a traditional career mode Kaz said:

"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added."

Now some people assumed he was only talking about the career mode, but then he says the same thing in this IGN interview. When asked about what's new in GTSport he says:

"In Gran Turismo Sport not only do we have all the different features that we had in the past titles, we also have lots of brand new features..."

So is this a translation problem? If so then what is he actually trying to say?

GTP's question asked about "parts of the game" and mentioned the competition aspect ie sport mode, so I assume Kaz was also talking about the parts of the game rather than individual features.

Lying, was saying the game was coming out November 17, 2016.
Now, he's not lying. He's being slick. :sly:

I don't think you quite know the meaning of the word if you think that game developers were "lying" about the release date if there's a delay.

Those aren't "customization options". They're preset, pre-baked, "one-size fits all" alternatives. The issue with that becomes my "custom" is exactly identical to yours & everyone else's. Kind of defeats the purpose & definition of "custom" if it can't be "customized" to ones own liking. The key is in variety.
It is custom. If it's bespoke, that's different. The car is customized( from the standard car. If you do want to personalize a car, the livery editor is available.
GTP's question asked about "parts of the game" and mentioned the competition aspect ie sport mode, so I assume Kaz was also talking about the parts of the game rather than individual features.

I don't think you quite know the meaning of the word if you think that game developers were "lying" about the release date if there's a delay.
Deception then? Oh right, "smoke & mirrors". Not game developerSSSS... Kaz' words is what the topic is about.

Saying the game is coming and it wasn't 100% at all. Not even 1st day patch ready. Not even past the 75% from May(?)2016.

However, you quoted my last line, but didn't read it. I even posted a sly emoji.

Another thing with Kaz's straight-up lying is that he's confusing us with the car and track count.

What is it , really? 177 cars, 19 environments and 27 layouts or 140 cars, 15 environments and 27 layouts?

I'm sure he mentioned the latter once during some video, but maybe this is just plain confusing.

I doubt he's lying in the sense of deliberately saying something is/will be in when he knows it's not/won't be. So far we haven't seen the full scope of GTS yet, or post-release schedules, so it's hard to say what's there and what's not (in one form or the other). The only thing you can hold against Kaz is that his vision for GT is several steps ahead of the current iteration and that he's extremely vague (most likely deliberate) about what's going to be in the current iteration or not. Also keep in mind that failing to deliver(on time) is not necessarily lying either. Broken promises are also not always lies. Though to me that's just a matter of semantics as the end-result is the same: people being disappointed for expecting too much (both the community itself and Kaz are to blame there).

As for interiorless VGT cars, i think the deal with them not having them is more the maufacturers fault than PDs. IIRC a lot of the VGT designers didn't even bother designing actual interiors for their cars, so PD doesn't have anything to work off of when making their interiors.

No matter which way you slice it, I still feel bad for the interior designer lady from the DP100 video.

Car customization: Livery editor
GT Auto: Don't know if it'll be in the game yet (probably not)
Senna challenges: They're events, not features.

Back