why is Porsche never in racing games?

• Thread starter mattersend
  • 155 comments
United States
United States
I just realized, not even in gt or forza...what's the deal? If its a licensing issue then Porsche needs to get its head out of it'd a** and join the modern world. Is Project Cars making an imitation Porsche?

ea-logo.png

EA have the Porsche license, and aren't willing to give it up any time soon. If you want a mediocre circuit racing game with Porsche's, get NFS Shift or Shift 2 Unleashed. I believe a few of the Forza games had Porsche's in them too.

Edited. I said something dumb.

Last edited:
Porsche is in racing games, so do you mean to ask '"Why is Porsche never in racing games that I want them to be in."....:lol:

I just realized, not even in gt or forza...what's the deal? If its a licensing issue then Porsche needs to get its head out of it'd a** and join the modern world. Is Project Cars making an imitation Porsche?

Title of thread should be changed to "Why is Porsche not in any racing games I play or have heard of"

So yeah...and no they're not making an imitation Porsche they're using Ruf.

Ruf is nothing more than a tuned Porsche, just as Seleen use to tune Ford Mustangs.

One Saleen isn't a tuner only group, they still tune Mustangs and manufactured their own super cars. Ruf is not a tuned up Porsche either

Last edited:
Title of thread should be changed to "Why is Porsche not in any racing games I play or have heard of"

So yeah...and no they're not making an imitation Porsche they're using Ruf.

One Saleen isn't a tuner only group, they still tune Mustangs and manufactured their own super cars. Ruf is not a tuned up Porsche either

I stand corrected on Ruf, thank you for that.

In addition to the above, Ruf is legally recognized as a German auto manufacturer.
I really respect and like RUF for allowing their great cars to be in so many different games. I don't really miss Porsche tbh.
I miss cars like the 944, 914, 356, and naturally-aspirated 911s. It's great what Ruf has done for racing games, but I'm fond of driving slow cars fast, and Ruf hasn't built any alternatives to classic Porsches. :(

I have Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed installed on this laptop -- one of the all-time greats among racing games, no matter the bullcrap EA has pulled since then -- but I'd still like to play with those cars in newer games.

While I don't miss Porsche I would rather they were in then not. For sure, I too would love to be able to enjoy the breadth of street and racing cars that they have produced over the years. It's almost a sin that Porsche won't be recreated faithfully in a title like PCars, but only in the most arcady fashion in the EA games. I think it's a detriment to the brand, though it apparently doesn't bother them.

While I don't miss Porsche I would rather they were in then not. For sure, I too would love to be able to enjoy the breadth of street and racing cars that they have produced over the years. It's almost a sin that Porsche won't be recreated faithfully in a title like PCars, but only in the most arcady fashion in the EA games. I think it's a detriment to the brand, though it apparently doesn't bother them.

Yes but why would SMS put themselves in another EA position after having got out of the last one...

I don't see any sin, as most people would just get their happiness out of handling such cars on the virtual plane for a day or two and then get over it as if Porsche hadn't been there. Also a detriment to whose brand SMS with project cars or Porsche themselves?

Yes but why would SMS put themselves in another EA position after having got out of the last one...

I don't see any sin, as most people would just get their happiness out of handling such cars on the virtual plane for a day or two and then get over it as if Porsche hadn't been there. Also a detriment to whose brand SMS with project cars or Porsche themselves?
Yes, I wasn't clear on the detriment comment. I meant it's a detriment to Porsche, not SMS. None of my negative comments were directed at SMS, only at Porsche/EA.
As far as being a sin, most keen racers on videogames would not play Porsches and move on, only the most casual of fans.
As far as I'm concerned, with or without Porsche, PCars is set to be the definitive sim racer, certainly for consoles. I have it preordered on PSN and am waiting for it's arrival like an expectant father.

Yes, I wasn't clear on the detriment comment. I meant it's a detriment to Porsche, not SMS. None of my negative comments were directed at SMS, only at Porsche/EA.
As far as being a sin, most keen racers on videogames would not play Porsches and move on, only the most casual of fans.
As far as I'm concerned, with or without Porsche, PCars is set to be the definitive sim racer, certainly for consoles. I have it preordered on PSN and am waiting for it's arrival like an expectant father.

Well considering there are plenty of people that aren't casual and stick with GT and FM among other games AC being the newest and they all coexist perfectly fine without them. I mean sure it'd be nice but not to this great extent. Yes if they got the chance to race them sure, but it doesn't take anything from the game if they're not in it.

As for Porsche it's no harm to them, the day the marketing group proves that there is a direct correlation between Porsche cars being in video games and the number of sales in actual Porsches, then perhaps the idea of EA exclusive will be rethought. Until then Porsche still are one of the highest revenue making groups out there so no detriment.

Last edited:
@LMSCorvetteGT2 -- It's not the end of the world if a game misses out on any particular car or brand, but to say Porsche's absence "doesn't take anything from the game" glosses over the fact that other games frequently lack analogues to some of Porsche's cars. Unless SMS added, say, the Renault Alpine A110, there are no modestly-powered RRs in Project CARS.

Of course, there are no rotary-engined cars or famous touge carvers, either. It's only reasonable to accept that PCARS doesn't cover everything (at least not yet).

@LMSCorvetteGT2 -- It's not the end of the world if a game misses out on any particular car or brand, but to say Porsche's absence "doesn't take anything from the game" glosses over the fact that other games frequently lack analogues to some of Porsche's cars. Unless SMS added, say, the Renault Alpine A110, there are no modestly-powered RRs in Project CARS.

Of course, there are no rotary-engined cars or famous touge carvers, either. It's only reasonable to accept that PCARS doesn't cover everything (at least not yet).

Um no it's more resonable to come to the conclusion that Pcars =/= FM or GT.

Also many games lack it because Porsche decided this, thus most of us have grown up and moved on. If Porsche joins games A-Z that aren't NFS awesome, but until then the games aren't worse because of it, not sure why Porsche gets this status.

It’s honestly hard to see how any of this benefits Porsche in any real way. After all, there was no new Need for Speed game or Real Racing game released in 2014. Why is Porsche content with this deal? Is Porsche simply satisfied to sit in the grandstand watching gamers test driving vehicles from every other major auto manufacturer all year? It makes no real sense.
This is the same kind of humongous logical leap so present in the forum posts the article alludes to, and it tarnishes the rest if it pretty bad. If the deal didn't benefit Porsche in 2014, did it benefit them in 2001? 2003? 2004? No Need for Speed games with Porsches in those years, and EA obviously had the licence then too. Why would Porsche not only continuously renew the deal between the two companies, but in the past decade seemingly make it even stronger than it had been?

Could it be because the article makes the same mistake so many of those forum posts do, overstating the impact of the "serious" racers and downplaying the ones that are "just" arcade racers? Need for Speed games are bona fide million sellers. No, not individually more than Gran Turismo games (though that Real Racing 3 game apparently has 5 million downloads); but they come out a hell of a lot more frequently and on a hell of a lot more systems; far moreso than any other individual series. Does rapid, wide releases of a series with high popularity not increase exposure compared to one game every ~3 years at best?
The article mentions that the licence isn't being used to the fullest potential because a Porsche isn't on the cover even though it's the only place to get it. Is there any proof that a Porsche would be a lock for the cover of a GT title? We already know that they wouldn't be for a Forza, so if a Porsche wasn't on the cover of a GT game it would also just be another car in the game. Except unlike Need for Speed, it wouldn't be 1 or 2 cars out of ~40, but maybe 5 or 6 cars out of well over a thousand.

Could it be because Porsche isn't interested in trying to deal with multiple parties and thus find the current deal where EA handles everything on their (and EA's) behalf ideal? For all of the outrage when EA cut off the NFL 2K series at the knees in 2005 after ESPN NFL 2K5 outsold Madden, we now know that it was the NFL that initiated that deal because they wanted a sole partner instead of dealing with multiple licencees. Who's to say Porsche isn't the same way?

Could it be that perhaps Porsche isn't too bothered that the people who are already aware of Porsche's racing ("enthusiasts") can't replicate that history in sim games because those people are already aware of it? Porsche doesn't go racing so the race cars can be featured in games. If people already know about Porsche's racing efforts and can link them to Porsche road cars, Porsche has already accomplished what they went racing for in the first place.
Gran Turismo certainly was fundamental (as was the rise of the tuner culture following Fast and the Furious) in the Lancer Evolution (and the WRX) finally being offered in America. But comparing that to Porsche not being in Gran Turismo/Forza, and to futher imply that it might lead to lost sales in the future, is a false equivalency. No one knew about the Lancer Evolution in America, because there was no popular outlet other than Gran Turismo to link this piece of crap:
e28b6ee66c2cebf74b8c71b8f57e9e26.jpg

With a 300 HP AWD rally machine.

You can't say the same thing of Porsche; because even if you ignore the inherent brand cachet, the TV advertisements, the popular representation in movies and shows and music, the actual races that Porsche takes part in... Porsche is still featured fairly prominently in a highly popular, long running video game franchise.

So how are they actively hurt by not being in more serious titles to the extent that their deal with EA isn't worth pursuing?

tl;dr, it's really not hard to at guess how it benefits Porsche, or at the very least doesn't hurt them.

I was going to ask for a tl;dr to that, until you added it after the fact.

Regardless, I think it was a GameInformer article I read somewhere, where someone high-up in EA was quoted saying something like 'we have noticed the attitude towards EA's racing games in recent years, and we wish to change it".

But I'm not about to go digging through a bunch of old magazines this late (or at all), so take it with a grain of salt.

In addition to the above, Ruf is legally recognized as a German auto manufacturer.

I miss cars like the 944, 914, 356, and naturally-aspirated 911s. It's great what Ruf has done for racing games, but I'm fond of driving slow cars fast, and Ruf hasn't built any alternatives to classic Porsches. :(

I have Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed installed on this laptop -- one of the all-time greats among racing games, no matter the bullcrap EA has pulled since then -- but I'd still like to play with those cars in newer games.
You made me remember playing NFS Porsche with my buddy's at a LAN session down in our basement for hours (like half a day) straight. Good old times. I just watched a video of the pc version and boy... this title is old! I had better graphics in mind 10 min. ago. :) but none the less, it was a great time back then and great fun. BNC network... :D

Back