Why is the music in GT 5 so bad?

• Thread starter Anthony B
  • 44 comments
I found surround sound speaker system makes a big improvement in the Engine sounds, and when the Engine sound is from the TV only well that is a another sound.
Well, I usually use headphones when I play my games but maybe that doesn't make it sound better, I suppose.

As much as I still love playing the game, I wish engine sounds were more realistic, because I've watched videos of gameplays in YT before and many people kept talking about the engine sounds which are simply too dull to hear.

I thing it's OK.. there's a good amount of songs from it that I liked...

• Band of Skulls - Patterns
  • Breakbot - Penelope Pitstop
  • Hot Hot Heat - Implosionatic
  • London Elektricity - Just One Second (Apex Remix)
  • My Chemical Romance - Planetary (Go!)
  • Nittoku Inoue - Runabout
  • Queens of the Stone Age - The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
  • Scorpions - The Sails of Charon
  • Sky Parade - I Should Be Coming Up (But I Keep Coming Down)
  • The ****ing Eagles - Gentlemen’s Blues
  • The Heavy - No Time (Beats Mix)
  • Them Crooked Vultures - Scumbag Blues
  • Vitalic - Poison Lips

I agree with the thread saying that Gran Turismo 5 don't have good songs. The only music that i really like is Pnau - Baby (Breakbot Remix)

On the other hand, as far as the menus are concerned, I have to say that music is perfect, especially Yudai Satoh - Night birds or MAKOTO - After The Rain. PS: I think the tuning shop music is the best for the elaborations! :P

Maybe it's just because I played this game a lot back in the day, but I do find the soundtrack to be quite nostalgic.

The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret and Heads will Roll are a couple of my favourites.

IMO the racing music didn't 'fit' with the gameplay the same way older titles did (especially GT3), although there were good songs from bands like Queens of the Stone Age, The Heavy and London Elektricity.
The music from the trailers and GT5 Prologue was awesome though, they should have added those into the main game too.
(Anyone remember this one?)

Bo
It's "baby, I don't know".
I don't know why the song gets so much hate. Pnau are fantastic, the kids do a great job, and Breakbot somehow made it even more cheerful.
Reminds me of the GTSport announcement trailer:

Gran Turismo soundtracks are outstandingly unremarkable.
A good racing game gives me a handful of new tracks in my collection.
There are only two tracks in GT history that I really like and I knew of both of them beforehand.
Don't get me started on that Daiko Kaisho rubbish.
Speak for yourself. GT3 introduced me to Feeder and made me appreciate such an underrated band.

Considering you can create your own BGM with your own personal favorite songs and music on the PS3 for GT5 does it really matter ?

I mean, every racing game is going to add BGM whether original or third-party so of course people would critique it.
I remember some people having problems with it not working back when it was active (i'm not sure how widespread those issues were though).
But how many people actually used this feature though?

I think the racing music in GT5 was well chosen. However, I particularly love the menu music: the Japanese guys that write it are very talented at that kind of thing IMHO.

Two great race music tracks I can remember offhand are...

Last edited:
Just from a quick look, "Hold On" by Friendly Fires is great, "Holding Hands" by We Are Wolves is fine, "Escape Velocity" is a classic, so is "The Lisbon Maru", and "Just One Second (Apex Remix)" is really good for a D&B song. Is it an amazing soundtrack as a whole? No, not really, but that's not what I expect from Gran Turismo anyway. That's why I always make custom soundtracks.

Beside, that was the least of GT5's issues.

I like it a lot better than GT6 music, specially the menu music in GT5, lots of Jazz, and If you don't like Jazz you don't have good taste in music!

Although I think one's enjoyment of music is purely opinion, I do agree that personally I can't stand GT5's racing music. Too .. stimulating and distracting, especially the rock section. I can't focus at all with that **** on.

But that's why I put my own music into the game (sometimes). Probably this has been mentioned already, but while in the XMB (not the game) it's easy to download songs onto the PS3's music section, and then once in the game, go into Options (or maybe it's Settings, I forget) and then toggle the option which chooses Custom Music. Sometimes though, I just prefer the actual engine / traffic sounds.

All that being said, I do like most of GT5's menu music. There's a couple songs from that I'd actually listen to on an iPod, if I ever own one. :D

GT5's racing music was not good. Luckily it was possible to change it for you own. But it did not work in online lobbies most of the time :(
As a race menu song the PNAU - Baby (Breakbot remix) was to distracting for its purpose. Otherwise its a good song, but not for race menu music.
Menu music is good for hotel lobby, not for a racing game. :)

Back