Why is the Veyron undriveable?

• Thread starter Topsu
  • 152 comments
Why is this car so unstable at high speeds? Anything over 300 kph and it starts sliding like it's on ice, even with RS tyres. The Veyron mission at Le Mans was almost impossible for me. The car just starts veering left and right, and sliding around. It's crazy. Surely someone else has the same issue?
They messed up the stock suspension.
I test it on stage X. Stock it handles like in the mission now and after switching to fully custom suspension the problem is gone.

It feels like Gt7 is a hydra. One problem solved two new problems appears.

Last edited:
I test it on stage X. Stock it handles like in the mission now and after switching to fully custom suspension the problem is gone.

Thanks, I will experiment tonight.

Because it's a cruise ship on wheels. I'm pretty sure the engine-swapped Tundra could put up better lap times on most courses, especially in races where fuel consumption is turned on.

Because it's a cruise ship on wheels. I'm pretty sure the engine-swapped Tundra could put up better lap times on most courses, especially in races where fuel consumption is turned on.
Nope, the answer has already been provided, there's an issue with the stock suspension with the car in the game. It's nothing to do with how the car is in real life (which isn't how you describe), it's a flaw within GT7.

Very glad I am not the only one with this issue on this mission. Having only just recently got the game I am working my way through the missions, and I am a stickler for 'all golds', so I will report the bug and hope the notice it!

I don't own the Veryon in the game, though I have an invite to buy it. Maybe later this month... Anyway, the car in real life has an active suspension that lowers when you set it up for top speed runs. If the car does not come with an adjustable suspension from the factory in the game, the stock ride height could be a big problem when trying to hit high speeds as too much air is getting under the car decreasing it's downforce at high speeds. Its just a thought.

I don't own the Veryon in the game, though I have an invite to buy it. Maybe later this month... Anyway, the car in real life has an active suspension that lowers when you set it up for top speed runs. If the car does not come with an adjustable suspension from the factory in the game, the stock ride height could be a big problem when trying to hit high speeds as too much air is getting under the car decreasing it's downforce at high speeds. Its just a thought.
Seems the right hight isnt the problem. Stock suspension is 95 fully custom suspension 85. the stock one for 400+kmh seems to soft in compression, to less decompresion or to low frequency. Or a mix of all together.

Last edited:
Very glad I am not the only one with this issue on this mission. Having only just recently got the game I am working my way through the missions, and I am a stickler for 'all golds', so I will report the bug and hope the notice it!
Update since yesterday, I tried the mission again last night and did it second try. It might be a luck thing but I managed to do a run where essentially I didn't need to change lanes as cars moved out of the way somewhat and I was able to straight line it whilst still getting slipstream.

I have to agree with OP. I took the Chiron and Veyron to SSRX to test out comparative top speeds and lap times and the Chiron was like a go-kart, while I couldn't manage a lap in the Veyron without it pooping itself in the banked turn. Even a straight line run was sketchy in it. There's definitely something not right going on with the Veyron's high-speed handling.

The Veyron actively lowers it's ride height at a certain speed to create less drag, this is when it is in it's 'Top Speed' mode. It isn't a problem just with the stock suspension as this is what the car does in real life, it is a combination of what the car does that is the issue. The collision box is slightly too low for the underside of the car, causing it to ground out which is the main issue.

If you pop on any customisable suspension it is no longer active, as they are just coilovers.

In fact: there is this thread from GT5.

Hope that helps!

The only thing a real Veyron (or Ve-ryon if you ask Clarkson lol) can do is going stupidly fast in a straight line, which is also what it did in GT7 the last time I drove one. I also had zero issues with the mission at Le Mans, granted I did this mission like 4 months ago or so...

Therefore I'm pretty sure it's a bug that was introduced with the latest update or the one before. I actually had the same issue like you describe but with the Genesis G70 3.3T AWD. I maxed out its power and wanted to try out its topspeed on Route X but everytime I went over 300km/h the car just started to swerve and spin out uncontrollably (even with absolutely ZERO steering input).

Edit: Spelling...
Clarkson is another self-proclaimed "expert" TV personality.

It's true, it's horrible above 300 kph. But I think I managed it quite nicely, and that on SH tyres. ;)

If you think this one is hard to drive, try the Carrera GT or the F8 Tributo.

itsgone-southpark.gif

when I used it in the older games, this car was always disappointing/poor handling, given its stats on paper. seems something is broken this time around though.

Last edited:
B80
when I used it in the older games, this car was always disappointing/poor handling, given its stats on paper. seems something is broken this time around though.
It was fine earlier in the game’s life, something changed in a patch recently where cars (or some, anyway) at high speed become incredibly twitchy and basically undriveable. The Tomahawk X will start moving on its own with the flaps down at 350+ mph, whereas it used to be super stable. Now, even minute adjustments will make it lurch in the direction you input.

Why is this car so unstable at high speeds? Anything over 300 kph and it starts sliding like it's on ice, even with RS tyres. The Veyron mission at Le Mans was almost impossible for me. The car just starts veering left and right, and sliding around. It's crazy. Surely someone else has the same issue?
I have exactly the same problem. It happens in Route X and Le Mans, both tracks the car is uncontrollable and it drives me crazy when the actual car is made for speed and holds the record for quite some time.

It happens not only to this car but others the same Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Aventador and Huracan, C7 Corvette, Silvia with engine swapped from Mazda 787, C8 Corvette, these cars are impossible to drive in straight line at high speed. I have a C7 Corvette ZR1 with over 1000 hp I can drive doing slalom between the other cars in the race without any problem and that extends to Charger Hellcat with 900+, Camaro ZL1, Ford GT.

At Le Mans it's the same especially when you brake hard, the car turns to the right all the time driving to the barriers and it's the same for other "supercars" The only option in Le Mans is Porsche 918 and Ferrari VGT, those cars are "reliable" to drive in Le Mans without problems.

I think the last 2 updates are responsible for this problem, none of these cars have this kind of problem in real life. And what its more suspicious is that problem doesn't apply to all the cars.

Last edited:
Had the same issue for other High Powered Cars. Weird stuff, hopefully gets fixed. I'm sure it wasn't always like that.
It's because that would happen in real life with those cars. That's why only so many cars can actually go that fast and you basically need the VW test track or a salt flat. I imagine instead of "sliding all over like ice" you would be dead in the blink of an eye. So many extreme forces are fighting against each other to keep the car planted.

The truth of the matter is the Veyron in real life isn't uncontrolable at high speed, nor are the other cars affected by this behaviour in GT7. It's a bug in the game and only affects the car with stock suspension. As soon as you upgrade the suspension the issue is gone. It has nothing to do with the cars aerodynamics, it could be due to the car bottoming out on it's stock suspension in the game or some other anomoly.

The car in the game is from 2013, this article is from the development in 2003, don't you think they addressed all the problems after 10 years in the market?
Just giving some background on the car, information only. Not a criticism.

There are many cars in the game that the physics aren't quite right.

Sorry but what you say is not true at all, its in fact the opposite. I just tested it, stock, at La Sarthe no chicane.
The car is remarkably stable, not only at 300+ but even at 400+ km/h
I tested at la Sarthe no chicane instead of Route X because of how many bumps are there, so it's the ultimate test for stability.

Thats exactly one of the biggest qualities of the Veyron, IRL and in the game too, its amazing stability at very high speeds. After all it was built for that - for going at very high speeds in straightline.

If you want to find something to complain about it then say you can't make it stop it or you cant take it through corners because no downforce and because it weights almost as much as a truck

Edit: I just saw this thread is a couple months old, maybe it's now fixed in last opdate or something

Last edited:
Sorry but what you say is not true at all, its in fact the opposite. I just tested it, stock, at La Sarthe no chicane.
The car is remarkably stable, not only at 300+ but even at 400+ km/h
I tested at la Sarthe no chicane instead of Route X because of how many bumps are there, so it's the ultimate test for stability.

Thats exactly one of the biggest qualities of the Veyron, IRL and in the game too, its amazing stability at very high speeds. After all it was built for that - for going at very high speeds in straightline.

If you want to find something to complain about it then say you can't make it stop it or you cant take it through corners because no downforce and because it weights almost as much as a truck

Edit: I just saw this thread is a couple months old, maybe it's now fixed in last opdate or something
I have no idea if its bugged or not, but it definitely still happens. From what I can observe the important elements are having more acceleration & speed than stock when the car still has stock suspension & LSD. Suspension appears to play a more substantial role though.

It does not appear as a glitch like other cars do like the a220 when you find a particular combination (downforce,ballast etc..) that will actually display a substantial drop in “Rotational G” for the highest speed only by something absurd like 1.45 to .80 . If you move any slider a single point they jump back up.

Try adding all the performance upgrades ‘except’ Suspension & LSD. Once you do it can’t handle the higher acceleration or speed. The stock one comes with sport tires but it will start slipping around in Race Hards as well, slightly better but still crazy. The picture below is how I just tried it again and you lose control in the first 10 seconds or so.

Edit:
I just tried upgrading the suspension and imputing the “stock” values and the issue goes away. They are terrible settings but its doesn’t spin out of control. If the upgraded suspension is only supposed offer control without any structural performance improvement then sounds like its bugged.

I’m not sure this is the issue but in the “speed mission” you are able to go way faster than it can do on its own because of the slipstream (mimicking what happens upgrading performance with stock suspension). I think slight steering movements are affected from the the higher speed + acceleration that is abruptly changed when the full force of air hits the car when you duck out of a stream.

I did the original mission a while back but when I retried the mission after finding this thread I just assumed that the instability was the difficulty we were supposed to overcome to get gold. IDK

Attachments

• D626CF1F-6614-4108-B465-0C7A330C0278.png
    D626CF1F-6614-4108-B465-0C7A330C0278.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sorry but what you say is not true at all, its in fact the opposite.
Just went to try the mission again, and nope, it's still not fixed. The car is still unstable as hell. Mind you I'm using a controller, so doing small corrections is going to be more difficult than with a wheel. With a wheel I can imagine there just being small nudges on the FFB, but on a controller the car quickly starts oscillating from side to side.

-standard suspension
-sports hard tires
-ssrx

It's horrible. It's infinitely reproducable. Go ahead and try, I challenge anyone to drive this straight with a controller. People keep suggesting things like "it's the wind or the slipstream affecting the car", but I don't know how that could be. I doubt the game simulates aerodynamic forces anywhere close to that level of sophistication. It's just bugged physics IMO. Maybe it's just because I use a controller.

I get that this thread is about the mission, where you can’t tune the car.

But the instability is NOT because it reflects how the car is in real life, nor is it a product of not enough downforce. (The opposite, in fact).

The issue is as this car reaches 350kph or so, the downforce overpowers the suspension and it starts to bottom out, making it uncontrollable. Adding a custom suspension — stiffer and/or taller — fixes the problem. It happens on tons of high-powered cars above 350kph in this game. The solution is always to raise or stiffen the car. Increasing downforce doesn’t help, it usually makes it worse.

This problem may also be compounded by the fact that they Veyron’s stock suspension in real life lowers itself at high speeds - I don’t know if Polyphony simulates that or not, but the cause of the problem either way is the car bottoming out where it definitely would not be doing so in real life.

Last edited:

-standard suspension
-sports hard tires
-ssrx

It's horrible. It's infinitely reproducable. Go ahead and try, I challenge anyone to drive this straight with a controller. People keep suggesting things like "it's the wind or the slipstream affecting the car", but I don't know how that could be. I doubt the game simulates aerodynamic forces anywhere close to that level of sophistication. It's just bugged physics IMO. Maybe it's just because I use a controller.

I agree and am also using a controller.

Just want to clarify because I’ve brought up the slipstream couple times & I’m only talking about the game, i don’t have the knowledge or experience to have a legitimate discussion about the actual car.

When the car is bone stock it slips around. I brought up slipstream because thats the focus of the mission. The car can’t reach the speeds before the finish line to complete the mission if you don’t use the slip streams of each car as you go by. By doing so it accelerates faster than would otherwise and leaving it abruptly stops that same boost to acceleration (maybe like quickly releasing throttle at high rpm or a quick tap of the brakes?).

When driving solo on a regular track, I figured boosting the acceleration with performance upgrades mimicks and amplifies the crazy instability in the mission. In my edit above, I also tried upgrading the suspension with the identical ride height and other figures from the stock suspension and the sliding around disappears, although their not good for other reasons

I have no idea if its bugged or not, but it definitely still happens. From what I can observe the important elements are having more acceleration & speed than stock when the car still has stock suspension & LSD. Suspension appears to play a more substantial role though.

It does not appear as a glitch like other cars do like the a220 when you find a particular combination (downforce,ballast etc..) that will actually display a substantial drop in “Rotational G” for the highest speed only by something absurd like 1.45 to .80 . If you move any slider a single point they jump back up.

Try adding all the performance upgrades ‘except’ Suspension & LSD. Once you do it can’t handle the higher acceleration or speed. The stock one comes with sport tires but it will start slipping around in Race Hards as well, slightly better but still crazy. The picture below is how I just tried it again and you lose control in the first 10 seconds or so.

Edit:
I just tried upgrading the suspension and imputing the “stock” values and the issue goes away. They are terrible settings but its doesn’t spin out of control. If the upgraded suspension is only supposed offer control without any structural performance improvement then sounds like its bugged.

I’m not sure this is the issue but in the “speed mission” you are able to go way faster than it can do on its own because of the slipstream (mimicking what happens upgrading performance with stock suspension). I think slight steering movements are affected from the the higher speed + acceleration that is abruptly changed when the full force of air hits the car when you duck out of a stream.

I did the original mission a while back but when I retried the mission after finding this thread I just assumed that the instability was the difficulty we were supposed to overcome to get gold. IDK

Just went to try the mission again, and nope, it's still not fixed. The car is still unstable as hell. Mind you I'm using a controller, so doing small corrections is going to be more difficult than with a wheel. With a wheel I can imagine there just being small nudges on the FFB, but on a controller the car quickly starts oscillating from side to side.
Then its an issue of the controller and the inputs you do with it, because I use wheel and this doesn't happen at all.

Then its an issue of the controller and the inputs you do with it, because I use wheel and this doesn't happen at all.
Try the mission. I did this not long ago with a wheel and experienced the same thing. I managed to pass the mission but only using driving aids.

Last edited:
How can it be an issue with the controller when changing the suspension in the game fixes it? That just doesn't make sense.

Besides, we know it isn't an issue with using a controller and it is an issue with the physics of how some cars behave at high speeds with stock suspensions.

I think the cars are bottoming out when they shouldn't (i.e. in a straight line on a flat surface) but that's yet to be conclusively proven.

Back