Why most some Countries be different...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Event
  • 22 comments
  • 898 views

Event

Zoom-zoom
Premium
Messages
6,899
Messages
GTP_event / kevinr6287 (farming account)
Why do only Japan, the UK, Australia, and I think New Zealand (correct me if I'm wrong) drive on the left side of the road? Why do they have to be different? Is there a logical explanation for this?
 
Sweden (I think...it was something Scandanavian) used to drive on the left until the 80s I believe.
 
Hong Kong too! Basically, all the best places in the world ;)
 
The359
Sweden (I think...it was something Scandanavian) used to drive on the left until the 80s I believe.
I think you're right.
And I also think it was them who changed from driving on the left to the right in one single night!

The remaining countries should do the same. :p
 
Yep. Since there weren't that many street signs in the country, and they warned everyone well in advance and made sure they all knew, they did it in the middle of the night.
 
Event Horizon
Why do only Japan, the UK, Australia, and I think New Zealand (correct me if I'm wrong) drive on the left side of the road? Why do they have to be different? Is there a logical explanation for this?

More like 'Why does the US, Canada and others have to be different??'
 
VIPERGTSR01
More like 'Why does the US, Canada and others have to be different??'
But the best automaking countries in the world, Germany and Italy, drive on the right! When I become President of Earth, I will make everyone drive on the right!
 
Thats why you wont become president.
 
The Amphicars site is more-or-less spot on. Astonishingly though, the French drive on the right because Napolean was left-handed.

Sweden, I believe, switched from driving on the left to driving on the right in a single night in 1972.
 
Famine
Sweden, I believe, switched from driving on the left to driving on the right in a single night in 1972.
That would be weird... Imagine all the accidents! I would not want to wake up and drive to school on the Left side! that would suck and be so confusing!
 
Event Horizon
That would be weird... Imagine all the accidents! I would not want to wake up and drive to school on the Left side! that would suck and be so confusing!

I saw a program about that some time ago on Swedish television. According to the film clip, the change was at noon. The change was initiated through the use of radio broadcasting, and all traffic was directed to the right side of the road and stopped for a couple of hours. That's how it went, I believe.
 
Commonwealth countries will drive on the left. After the British of course.

My country is RHD and I'm not complaining because Japanese cars are RHD...
 
TsLeng
Commonwealth countries will drive on the left. After the British of course.

What about Canada they drive on the right.
 
Event Horizon
That would be weird... Imagine all the accidents! I would not want to wake up and drive to school on the Left side! that would suck and be so confusing!

How would you have it done?

Allow a few cars to drive on the right whilst everyone else drives on the left, and gradually give more cars the right to switch over?
 
How about just not change something thats not broken.
 
I know for sure they did it at night, because they had to change the street signs. That way when everyone woke up for work they just had to drive on the other side of the road, no changing while people are in the middle of driving.

And they did it because the rest of mainland Europe drives on the right, so changing Sweden over did away with the need for cars to switch sides of the road at the borders.
 
VIPERGTSR01
What about Canada they drive on the right.


!
Forgot to put 'most' commonwealth countries drive on the left.
 
I drive on the left hand side (RHD car) too. T'is British influence (being past colonialists and all) 👍
 
Why? Because it suits Nissan Skylines better and the four countries you listed have the highest Skyline population (Japan with the most, then New Zealand, then probably Aussie and the UK).
 
Haha! Then in the US, LHD suits the viper better!!!!
 
Driving on the left (RHD) makes more sence since most people are right-handed - which means your 'best' hand is always on the wheel.
 
TheCracker
Driving on the left (RHD) makes more sence since most people are right-handed - which means your 'best' hand is always on the wheel.


Yeah, I couldn't imagine steering with my left hand and shifting with my right. It would be weird. Every time I need to change gear, i'll be reaching for the door handle!!
 
Back