Why play fair?

• Thread starter Vin1021
  • 58 comments
Akmuq
This. Has he hurt you by cheating?

He doesn't like people that cheat. He has his right not to like cheaters. I don't like cheaters either. If someone likes cheaters they have their right to like them too. No reason to provoke anyone because they believe in something.

This. Has he hurt you by cheating?

Do you have some kind of ax to grind with me or something? This is like the second time in a week that you have tried to provoke me into a stupid argument. The answer to your question is yes, he has hurt me and everyone else that plays legitimately. For one, us people that play fair might like our legit spots on the leaderboard. Two, at any time PD could just shut down the TT, like they have in the past, because of all these cheats and then all of our efforts are wasted. Three, PD could just get tired of these cheaters and stop giving us the TT's altogether.

Yes, its just a game I know, but I and some other people I know happen to take our time and efforts we put into these things seriously and don't feel like having it all ruined by cheaters.

Now, I hope I have answered your question. If its an ongoing argument that you are looking for, look elsewhere because this will be my only post to your question. Nothing else I need to say about this.

So if you're done with his question, mind answering one of mine? :)

Why not just forget about the cheaters and just compete against the people here on GTP? I see you're in the WRS, and you don't necessarily have to compete in there all the time, but with people here in the Seasonal Events section as well if you really want to use GT5's seasonals.

Why not just forget about the cheaters and just compete against the people here on GTP? I see you're in the WRS, and you don't necessarily have to compete in there all the time, but with people here in the Seasonal Events section as well if you really want to use GT5's seasonals.

You can't deny that there's a certain satisfaction to achieving results on the official board though. And when the first X amount of entries are illegitimate it could kinda make it tougher to engage properly with the competitive nature of it.

Yes, I agree, but there's a part of it called acceptance. It won't be even remotely possible to get up there without hacking a car yourself.

Online gaming is fun but there's always someone who is going to find shortcuts to playing a game as opposed to actually getting good at the game through trial and error !

I don't have the skill necessary to get up to the top of the boards. The only way I have a chance of landing on the top of the leaderboards is if I grab the best car I have, and then do a stellar run on the trial right when it opens. Then, I watch as my time slides down the list as I'm passed by guys that actually have talent... or cheaters.

But really, I don't really care about being the top guy on a seasonal. I find it more fun and rewarding to compete against my friends. They're good enough to really give me a high bar to aim for, but it's still within my ability to top their times (or scores).

If nothing else, I simply gold each event. If nobody tops my time, I stay there. If someone does, I try again until I beat their time, and then hope they try and top my time.

You can't deny that there's a certain satisfaction to achieving results on the official board though.

There is definitely a satisfaction to seeing yourself near the top of leaderboards. I used to play a game called Bioshock 2 (1st person shooter). I achieved a top 15 rank on two of the leaderboards and top 50 on the other three. It also took me well over 1500 hours of online play to achieve that. I EARNED my spot on those leaderboards and I did so fair and square. Satisfying? Most definitely.

Hacked cars at the top of GT5 TT leaderboards should not be allowed. Leaderboards are intended to be a representation of your skill in the game, NOT your ability to hack the game. Hacked cars, if allowed, should post to different leaderboards.

I just checked and in the newest TT, the current #1 position is held by a hacked Alfa Romeo that achieves a speed of nearly 600 mph on the straight. I don't think that's fair to those who, unlike myself, have the skill to legitametly achieve a ranking on the leaderboard. I know I'll never get on the leaderboards in GT5, but I don't care. As long as I get gold and did so using the best of my abilities, I'm happy.

I guess my point is, what ever happened to good old fashioned gaming where skill and dedication got the highest scores? not computer hacks... 👎

That is what I have been doing for the last TT and now this one. I compete in the WRS because of the fairness and great competition. If you cheat there, you will be caught and dealt with accordingly. I have recently started competing here again for the very reason you gave, to compete with the people on my friends list. However, I would still like to see where I rank on the leaderboards among everyone else, but that is kind of impossible with all the cheaters, and that is what annoys me. That can't be done though when there are people out there who insist on cheating. It would be nice to see where I would rank globally, without all the cheaters, and I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way. Its as simple as that, just want a clean and fair leaderboard.....I really don't think that that is too much to ask. After all, isn't that why we have a leaderboard in the first place, to see how you rank against everyone else in the world....without the cheats.

And also, another way the cheaters hurt people is you can't see any legit replays because the top 10 spots, and more, are taken up by cheaters. Therefore, if you are wanting to see/study a legit lap and maybe help yourself out that way, you can't. Some people like to watch those top 10 legit replays to maybe learn about the racing line, braking points, etc. but that is impossible to do now due to all the cheated times. Just another way the cheaters are hurting the people that participate in these TT's.

And also, another way the cheaters hurt people is you can't see any legit replays because the top 10 spots, and more, are taken up by cheaters. Therefore, if you are wanting to see/study a legit lap and maybe help yourself out that way, you can't. Some people like to watch those top 10 legit replays to maybe learn about the racing line, braking points, etc. but that is impossible to do now due to all the cheated times. Just another way the cheaters are hurting the people that participate in these TT's.

Hadn't considered that, that's actually a very valid point.

Hadn't considered that, that's actually a very valid point.

Thanks Oink. That was actually my main point to the poster I replied to, somehow forgot to mention it to him the first time around but yea, that is important to some people to be able to view the legit top 10 replays. After all, that is how I learned a lot of what I know now, is by watching the faster, legit players. Also thanks to you and all your videos as well. :bowdown:

This is why I just gold all the recent TT's and not try to get a decent spot (Or not doing the TT at all) :indiff:

This is why I just gold all the recent TT's and not try to get a decent spot (Or not doing the TT at all) :indiff:

Yep, it's sad that it has come to this way of thinking for alot of people, me included at times, but hopefully GT6 will hold better things ahead.

Cargo brought up some very valid issues. If I may, I'd also like to add many players follow their progress on Milouse's mygranturismo.net site. I can only imagine what grief the cheat's have caused him tring to sort it all out, keeping the stats and continuous rankings for everyone that has ever participated in a TT. Yep, we are all on there. Two plus years of compiled stats and contiuious rankings for gt5 TT's jeopardized by these hacks.

What's the point of that thread??? I only saw people shouting and making useless debates... Lol stop! Behave more mature hahaha (it's funny because some people here don't...) I think we all know cheating is unfair and not good. PD often corrected it even if it's still there, but don't complain like children, it's even worse.

All we really can do now, is hope this won't be a possibility in GT6. Luckily the game is right around the corner.

GTP_CargoRatt

This is exactly it. Back in GT3 when I started mucking about here I was looking for advice on how to become faster. A few OGs of the WRS lent me a hand back then by sending replays for me to watch. We could only imagine back then what racing would have been like online.

We probably could have guessed back then that cheating would follow once we could race online against people. It would only have been a matter of time.

In the end though the system is not perfect and never will be perfect. Where there is a will for lesser racers to show that they are better with their remedial skills they have to resort cheating. It is a cycle that will continue as long as PD allows such things to occur. Even if they dropped the hammer on it, people will still find ways around it.

You have to figure PD has all their hands full with GT6 coming out along with R&D for the next gen GTs to come out. It is most likely a man power thing that does not allow them to keep everything legit.

Wow, the only thing you just proved is that you are a better cheater than he is. :rolleyes: Does that make you feel good about yourself? That is what is wrong with the leaderboards, one person does it, then the rest have to follow, like little sheep. Be a man, take the high road, and just ignore the cheaters, no need to prove anything as there is nothing to prove, nothing good anyway. So, put your virtual dong away and just run the TT's how they are meant to be ran, without hacked cars and all the cheating.

EDIT: Also, you should be banned right along with him as what you did is no different than what he did, no matter how you try to justify it. The only thing you did was make yourself look as foolish as he is.

What did I do? I did mine in practice mode you ding-dong. I don't even know how to hack :-)

I don't think you made that explicitly clear in your initial post, hence CargoRatt's assumption that you did the time trial in the X2010, rather than in practice mode. Some members saw exactly what you were saying and told him that you did in fact do your laps in practice mode, rather than cheat on the time trial itself. CargoRatt realized his initial assumption was wrong, and apologized.

You might want to read through the thread good sir, instead of assuming he's still attacking you.

I'm 35 and my brother is 45. We simply can't deal with the level of immaturity displayed by the current majority population online these days. We have a few friends that are also 40 somethings and when we race together it's a lot of fun. We all have actual racing backgrounds and we've all had no less than 10 full seasons under our belts. So needless to say we race hard, fast, skillfully but most of all it's completely 100% clean racing. We don't drive through each other and we certainly don't hack/mod any aspects or parameters of the vehicles or game. The whole point of SIM racing is to get as close to the real thing as possible by submersing themselves in the game in all senses. If you want an arcade experience there are countless other games to find that element. The GT series is not that venue.

What did I do? I did mine in practice mode you ding-dong. I don't even know how to hack :-)

First off, don't call me a ding-dong. I am 47 myself and not some immature 12 year old. Second, nowhere in your post did you say that you did this in practice mode. You did not make it entirely clear where you did it. I made the wrong assumption that you did this in the event because of your post being unclear. I apologized for the assumption, therefore I don't think my misunderstanding of your post warrants any name calling. So again, I apologize for my misunderstanding of your post. :)

The GTP community is wayyyy more mature than GT5 online community lol

The GTP community is wayyyy more mature than GT5 online community lol
Just the GTP community being the good 'ole community it has always been. A little bickering, a little complaining, a little laughing, a few feelings hurt, and a broken egg on my kitchen floor while posting this... somethings never change.

Anyways, I don't think anyone has really answered the question that this thread is based on. "Why play fair?", here is my crack at it.

A sense of Chivalry, Pride and Self Accomplishment should be why you play fair. Knowing that you outright beat someone in an environment where on a level playing field your skills are superior to anothers skill. Resorting to a cheaters level, only makes you "That Cheater". If Winning is the only accomplishment you need out of the game, cheating being the only way you can accomplish it, maybe video gaming was not a proper Career you should choose.

A sense of Chivalry, Pride and Self Accomplishment should be why you play fair. Knowing that you outright beat someone in an environment where on a level playing field your skills are superior to anothers skill. Resorting to a cheaters level, only makes you "That Cheater". If Winning is the only accomplishment you need out of the game, cheating being the only way you can accomplish it, maybe video gaming was not a proper Career you should choose.

I have to say you nailed it. 👍 :cheers: To kick someone's 🤬 fair and square is far more satisfying than kicking their 🤬 only because you cheated. Well said, my friend, well said.

Latest Posts

Back