Why the AI is so dirty..PS4 

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
First race I was in.. And I couldn't count how many times I was bumped and removed from the track by the AI.. :nervous:

The car very easily spun out by ramming.. I wonder how is it in the online race.. I'm afraid if the AI can do that, people may do that too..

Due to the lower physics calculations used for the AI they do tend to have more grip and thus don't spin out so easily as your car. Turn down the aggression setting to make them a bit calmer when they are around you (and each other). And try to drive fairly with them - treat them as human if you can - give them room, don't dive bomb them on corners etc. You tend to get more enjoyable races that way.

They're also not as bad if you have full damage enabled as opposed to performance impacting/visual/off.

Apart from using group 5 at bathurst, I found out that they don't care either way on that track.
Wait...???

Are you saying that the AI is more careful when full damage is ON? If that's true that would send me back to project cars 2

Also, how does the aggression slider affect the AI drivers in terms of them having accidents? I would like to see the AI make more mistakes on their own.

Last edited:
Wait...???

Are you saying that the AI is more careful when full damage is ON? If that's true that would send me back to project cars 2

Also, how does the aggression slider affect the AI drivers in terms of them having accidents? I would like to see the AI make more mistakes on their own.
Yes, but use the term "more careful" lightly 👍
There's more chance of them backing out of a move with it on than ramming you with it off (although still not perfect).

Also they can handle damage better than you, a serious crash might mean race over for you but a pit stop for them (unless they're upside-down or the wheels have come off)

There's more of a chance of the AI making a mistake with a higher aggression because they're more likely to go for a move that sometimes won't work.

Skill level just makes them take corners better (sometimes in a unnatural way over 100) which in turn gives them better exit speed & reducing the concertina effect & lap 1 shenanigans.

The AI are better at fast flowing tracks than tight & twisty ones.

I adjust my skill level between 100/110 but leave my aggression at 100 & be done with it, 75% of the time I have some good realistic racing with the AI.

Last edited:
Yes, but use the term "more careful" lightly 👍
There's more chance of them backing out of a move with it on than ramming you with it off (although still not perfect).

Also they can handle damage better than you, a serious crash might mean race over for you but a pit stop for them (unless they're upside-down or the wheels have come off)

There's more of a chance of the AI making a mistake with a higher aggression because they're more likely to go for a move that sometimes won't work.

Skill level just makes them take corners better (sometimes in a unnatural way over 100) which in turn gives them better exit speed & reducing the concertina effect & lap 1 shenanigans.

The AI are better at fast flowing tracks than tight & twisty ones.

I adjust my skill level between 100/110 but leave my aggression at 100 & be done with it, 75% of the time I have some good realistic racing with the AI.
I can't wait to get home and adjust the aggression settings for the AI. I have always had it very low around 30 because they bang me up so bad I didn't think I could handle it any higher.

Thank you for the explanation

If you try to race them close, they always doing dirty stuff, always. Too close at rear - break check, side by side on straight - weird waving, side by side on corner - if inside - most likely will be cut or worse ignored completely, if you manage overtake on outside - big boom on exit, if not - break check. Dunno which AI you playing, but this is always my experience. With lower aggression they simply stop to dive bomb you on inside at high speed corners, and that's it.

Last edited:
I find them to be quite unpredictable, although they do have strong tendencies for certain issues on certain tracks. Sometimes they don't hit you very much as long as you're aware of how they drive and you can almost treat them with respect with lots of good battles, other times they act like it's their first time playing a racing game besides Burnout and your best option is get past by any means necessary and get away from them ASAP. I've never noticed anything that suggests they drive any differently whether damage is on or off, though.

I've mentioned it before, but if they even have a hint of a look at Algarve T1 just let them go ahead or you will die -- if you can convince them to cut the corner you can often get back past in the aftermath, otherwise you can often re-take the spot in the hairpin. They were quite swervy at Bannochbrae which made side-by-side very risky, but they were rather slow overall. I'm currently working on a career race in Super Trofeo at Road America and they are just plain evil there all around the track, diving super late into every corner, turning right down to the apex as if you aren't even there, and of course their known impossibly consistent flat-out runs through the Kink. Close racing at that track seems to not be wise. But at other tracks they aren't nearly as aggressive.

It seems like there's usually at least one place per track where you have to watch out for being run over, and another where they will back off way too much. Some tracks have too many of one or the other which can cause problems. It takes a lot of track-specific learning to work with them. I still think they just aren't very good at seeing you because when they do they're pretty good at staying close with minimal contact.

When they hit the brakes from what I can see between watching Bob and the other bots they very slowly and steadily apply pressure from zero up to whatever the max is. That means they always start braking very early, but don't really start braking hard until a second or so after they hit the brakes. This can cause a lot of that brake-checking - as well as the odd back-and-forth where you pass them when they first brake but they can continue to brake super-hard late into the corners and pass you back.

The other overall annoyance I have is that they drive completely differently when they are behind you than in front... braking much later and trying all kinds of different lines through the corners, some of which are really poor ideas. They're much better behaved around each other, taking looks and sometimes backing out too easily but not trying anything suicidal as a rule. It just seems to be proximity to the player's rear bumper that causes them to go insane... not a particularly great design.

Last edited:
I just recently in the past few weeks started playing online. its been a lot of fun. These days you won't see too many dirty drivers. When damage is on people that can't race to cleanly tend to not stick around for the practice or qualifying. There are still plenty of accidents as you can imagine but its been a very positive experience.

As far as the ai, they tend to ram me pretty good so i tend to not use damage when i race offline. Lord knows i've tried to make it work but i get hit constantly. I do agree that the higher aggression is better overall as they do make mistakes.

Back