Why the previous finalist cannot compete anymore?

• Thread starter magsolid
  • 44 comments
Laos
Laos
magsolid
I heard that the previous finalist cannot take another chance for this year's GT Academy. I find it very cruel and stupid, especially those who work very hard to get to the final. It's not like they gonna ruin anything. It's kind of like they got punish for reaching to the final for no reason.
I would love to see one of those old finalist made it back as well as the new finalist. What in the world would they do such a thing?? Ain't the program about picking the best GT5 player?

Last edited:
They didn't make it the first time around, so unfortunately they missed their shot. It would be boring to see the same people back at the finals.

I am glad they are at least letting the 16 that did not make it to Silverstone compete. If they didn't do that I would say they are on crack.

Even if it does make for "strange" TV I think Silverstone finalists should be able to compete. I mean, if they are looking for the best driver, and you are still better than your competitors, then you deserve to win.

I guess the lesson is, if you are going to Silverstone, you better be ready.

I'm pretty sure in GT Academy 2010 there a some of the old finalist from 2008. If i'm not mistaken not all of them were 2008 finalist. This year GT Academy there are more people compete right? So it's not like we gonna see yet again same dude from the last year Academy.

Weird question but is this time around actually gonna be televised? Last year they had it plastered everywhere that it was being done by Speed...I just havent seen anything this year.

I heard that the previous finalist cannot take another chance for this year's GT Academy. I find it very cruel and stupid, especially those who work very hard to get to the final. It's not like they gonna ruin anything. It's kind of like they got punish for reaching to the final for no reason.
I would love to see one of those old finalist made it back as well as the new finalist. What in the world would they do such a thing?? Ain't the program about picking the best GT5 player?

One of the main reasons is anyone who actually had a chance to drive the GT-R and 370Z in real life[GT Academy versions] would immediately have a 1UP on the competition and therefore be disqualified. I'd say with this logic, that's why they're not allowed.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons is anyone who actually had a chance to drive the GT-R and 370Z in real life would immediately have a 1UP on the competition and therefore be disqualified. I'd say with this logic, that's why they're not allowed.

I've driven a GTR in real life before. ;)

The owner was present though if you know what i'm getting at.

Ain't the program about picking the best GT5 player?

No, I believe they are trying to find a race car driver. I bet they'd pick the 16th best GT5 player over the 1st best if 16th could wheel an actual car better. That's why they don't base their decision solely off of the results from the SIM.

About the only thing I can figure is that they've already seen those people that went to Silverstone last year in a car, didn't pick them, and don't feel like it is worth their time and money to see those people again. It's a harsh theory, but really the only one I can think of. Unless of course its pure politics, which it may very well be... But it keeps the "game" from sending the same great SIM racers to be mediocre in the cars again.

Although, they very well could be missing out on the improvement of some of last year's finalists over the past year using this strategy.

Who knows....

I agree that they all should get to compete again if they want the best then take the best period. Only thing i would say is people who went to silverstone last season if they made it back this season they would have a huge advantage over anyone new this season. Thats only thing that would suck for new guys.

I think it would make more sense if the finalists at silverstone were allowed to compete alternate years if they don't win as this would reduce the advantage of having previous car experience

In my opinion that's really unfair. The objective of GT Academy should be to turn a gamer into a racer - preferably a fast racer. If you'r fast you should be able to get in, regardless of wether you've gotten far prior to the current competition.

But it's up to PD I guess (or SONY, Nissan? :dunce: ).

I suppose the finalists must be tested mentally and physically. Would it be so hard to believe that everybody except the winner from last year actually weren't suitable to progress in the real world of driving quickly?

I agree with a comment above that said the panel don't want to see the same people.

No, I believe they are trying to find a race car driver. I bet they'd pick the 16th best GT5 player over the 1st best if 16th could wheel an actual car better. That's why they don't base their decision solely off of the results from the SIM.

About the only thing I can figure is that they've already seen those people that went to Silverstone last year in a car, didn't pick them, and don't feel like it is worth their time and money to see those people again. It's a harsh theory, but really the only one I can think of. Unless of course its pure politics, which it may very well be... But it keeps the "game" from sending the same great SIM racers to be mediocre in the cars again.

Although, they very well could be missing out on the improvement of some of last year's finalists over the past year using this strategy.

Who knows....
The true intention of GT Academy is to find a good GT5 player who have the requirements to become a pro racer. None of the first time Silverstone finalists drive anyway near mediocre.

Last edited:
The true intention of GT Academy is to find a good GT5 player who have the requirements to become a pro racer. None of the first time Silverstone finalists drive anyway near mediocre.

I'm pretty confident in a real car. I've set track records at my home track, beaten higher powered, better handling cars in autocross events with a car on all season tires. I had fast times during the Academy last year and was only eliminated because I got a crappy car at a horrible time and didn't know what happened until a month after it was all over.

A second chance? You bet I'd like one.

It would be unfair especially to those that are new to the Race Camp stage, because the previous finalists know pretty much exactly what to expect, and therefore have an unfair advantage. Nissan will not change the formula fundamentally every time the Academy is run. It's like a Time Trial with two equally gifted opponents. One gets one hour, the other gets two to set a time. How is that fair?

The judges have already seen what the previous finalists can do in a real car, responding to advice what to do in the car and also in terms of fitness and behaviour in interview-situations, and they chose somebody else. Now it's time to let other people have the experience and a chance to get chosen.

Spreading the opportunity to as many people as possible is pretty cool in my opinion. You had your chance, now step aside and let someone give it a shot.

Well I'm not going to start an argument here because I think I should have had another chance. But what's done is done so I'll try my best on Sunday to get a nice time just to show them I'm still here, then I'll be on my merry way. Several of us are planning on doing the same thing.

Even if I'm eligible again next year, I probably won't be around anyway so it's a moot point.

@R1600Turbo,

If I was in your position, I would want another shot at it to.

R1600Turbo
Well I'm not going to start an argument here because I think I should have had another chance. But what's done is done so I'll try my best on Sunday to get a nice time just to show them I'm still here, then I'll be on my merry way. Several of us are planning on doing the same thing.

Even if I'm eligible again next year, I probably won't be around anyway so it's a moot point.

From my perspective, having been in a few races with you, I think you should make it a point to be available next year. Keep chasin' it man. Persistence will pay off. Make it a matter of when, not if.

The true intention of GT Academy is to find a good GT5 player who have the requirements to become a pro racer.

Bottom line, looking for a driver. Nobody cares how good they were at GT5 when they're on the track burning up sponsor MONEY. Sponsor doesn't pay for the car to run in the back with no media coverage, gotta find a DRIVER.

None of the first time Silverstone finalists drive anyway near mediocre.

I bet professionals like Tommy Kendall and Liz Halliday have a little different opinion and perspective of what's mediocre and what's not than your average "enthusiast".

A second chance? You bet I'd like one.

Didn't I read that you were sick at the time, fresh off of an appendectomy or something of the sort? Seems something like that, or the guy going home for a family emergency could be an exception to the rule, give you guys a "proper" go at the thing if you were able to make it through the selection process again...

Didn't I read that you were sick at the time, fresh off of an appendectomy or something of the sort? Seems something like that, or the guy going home for a family emergency could be an exception to the rule, give you guys a "proper" go at the thing if you were able to make it through the selection process again...

I had a gallbladder full of stones the whole trip. I have a feeling I was eliminated for a different reason though, a reason I didn't know until a month after the contest. Had I known what happened, I would have spoken up more about it at the time. You tend to run slow lap times when the GT-R you are in doesn't have any brakes left. Guess it's my fault for not speaking up.

The other guy was Connor, who had to leave after day 1 because his father had passed away. Our inside guy at Nissan was trying to get him an automatic entry to Silverstone again for that reason, but I guess Sony would not have it.

Bottom line, looking for a driver. Nobody cares how good they were at GT5 when they're on the track burning up sponsor MONEY. Sponsor doesn't pay for the car to run in the back with no media coverage, gotta find a DRIVER.

I bet professionals like Tommy Kendall and Liz Halliday have a little different opinion and perspective of what's mediocre and what's not than your average "enthusiast".
Okay if nobody care how good they really are on a the sim racing game, then they should never made GT Academy. You call those mediocre just because you're not as good as them. If they only searching for driver then why they bother searching on the sim racing game??

You call those mediocre just because you're not as good as them.

:)

In one word? Marketing.

👍

If you know how good those GT Academy winners were, You will know this is more than just Marketing. It seems like Nissan is very serious in motorsport racing.

If you know anything about professional motorsports, you know that marketing is the #1 priority. Got to be able to pay the bills, if you can't pay the bills, you can't go racing. Once you've managed to pay the bills, you better run up front (DRIVER), or before too long you won't be able to pay the bills. You know why Nissan is so serious in motorsports? Because when their brand wins on the track, they win BIG time at your local dealership. The thrill of victory is great, but money is the bottom line. Big brands don't often pay to advertise in a way that gets them a return of less than 10x their investment. Most look for 20-30x.... They aren't out there for fun.

I had a gallbladder full of stones the whole trip. I have a feeling I was eliminated for a different reason though, a reason I didn't know until a month after the contest. Had I known what happened, I would have spoken up more about it at the time. You tend to run slow lap times when the GT-R you are in doesn't have any brakes left. Guess it's my fault for not speaking up.

I wish they would have said something about you being sick during the episodes, or maybe I missed it, but for me they put a completely different spin on your performance (the boot camp any physical conditioning where you got sick). Once I read that you had been sick I had a completely different view of what happened out there. I'd like to see you get another shot, for both reasons.

I can't say I blame you for not saying anything, I can't imagine how hard it would be to find yourself in such an unfamiliar and stress filled environment and try to tell the "experts" that something is wrong with the car. "Hindsight is always 20/20". I was in a similar situation once, and I got a chance to tell them what my problem was only because they asked me what I thought. Once I had finished, they didn't care, not even a little.

magsolid
If you know how good those GT Academy winners were, You will know this is more than just Marketing. It seems like Nissan is very serious in motorsport racing.

I realize how good they are. Just by how badly I get beat by one of the 16 finalists from last year's US GTA. I'll illustrate more when I get home and can use my computer instead of this phone.
portmod7
If you know anything about professional motorsports, you know that marketing is the #1 priority. Got to be able to pay the bills, if you can't pay the bills, you can't go racing. Once you've managed to pay the bills, you better run up front (DRIVER), or before too long you won't be able to pay the bills. You know why Nissan is so serious in motorsports? Because when their brand wins on the track, they win BIG time at your local dealership. The thrill of victory is great, but money is the bottom line. Big brands don't often pay to advertise in a way that gets them a return of less than 10x their investment. Most look for 20-30x.... They aren't out there for fun.
👍
Will expand on this when I get home.

The other guy was Connor, who had to leave after day 1 because his father had passed away. Our inside guy at Nissan was trying to get him an automatic entry to Silverstone again for that reason, but I guess Sony would not have it.

This is something really concerned me about the competition. It is pretty hard to create a controlled environment where everyone has the same shot. The question is where is the line? To me, if your brakes are not working, that is not only a performance issue, but a safety issue and is something I would voice off camera. But given your situation, I totally understand the course you took.

In my opinion it is a wrong that Connor was not given a spot in this year's finals (assuming that is the case). I do not think a single person he would have disadvantaged would have a problem with him taking up a spot. He should at least have a chance to compete in the current stage to get another shot.

Back