Why the previous finalist cannot compete anymore?

• Thread starter magsolid
  • 44 comments
The only one of us that should have been allowed back is Connor, all of us there agreed on that.

But for the rest of us, we had our shot and prooved to ourselves, friends and family that all that time playing a great game like GT5 was worth it. We all worked our tails off to be there, will we miss it this year? Yes, but boy ole boy will those memories last a life time.

This is something really concerned me about the competition. It is pretty hard to create a controlled environment where everyone has the same shot. The question is where is the line? To me, if your brakes are not working, that is not only a performance issue, but a safety issue and is something I would voice off camera. But given your situation, I totally understand the course you took.

Don't get me wrong, I did initially say something. When I got in and the pedal went to the floor, I said something to the instructor in the passenger seat. His words "it should come back on your warmup lap". Never did.

Oh well.

In my opinion that's really unfair. The objective of GT Academy should be to turn a gamer into a racer - preferably a fast racer. If you'r fast you should be able to get in, regardless of wether you've gotten far prior to the current competition.

But it's up to PD I guess (or SONY, Nissan? :dunce: ).

fast in GT5 =/= fast in a real car, you've got people playing GT Academy that can't even drive stick :lol: it's understandable that they don't want them back if they were underperforming in the real world.

Ok the expanding is written. Mostly for magsolid's enlightenment Presented here for your amusement and derision, whichever occurs to you. The timeline might be a bit sketchy so you will all just have to forgive any inaccuracies, or not.

Are You Johnny?​

In the dim, dark days of the year 2008 little Johnny is 12 years old. He yearns for a Playstation 3 to replace his aged and worn Gamecube, Xbox and PS2, so on his birthday that year his parents, being good parents and wanting to maintain his interest in hanging around home instead of out terrorizing the neighbor’s cats, buy him one, along with a game or two. Around Christmas they pick up another game called Gran Turismo 4. Little Johnny is disappointed that it isn’t a PS3 game but plays it for a bit before following the ways of young boys with attention spans that extend as far as their noses, and moves on to other games. GT4 is relegated to the back shelf along with the PS2.

As a younger lad Johnny played with a collection of Hot Wheels and other toy vehicles and imagined the day when he can actually drive one that produces sound that doesn’t come from his own mouth.

On the other side of the world, while Johnny is breaking in his PS3, three Corporations enter an alliance. They know of Little Johnny’s interest in motorized vehicles and the prophecies stating he is the chosen one and will take them all to glory. They decide what would be the best way to encourage and maintain his interest in pushing cars to the very limits of the physical laws that bind them all. Two companies agreed to provide hardware and financial backing, the other, software and funds, so their plans would come to fruition.

A competition is staged in the lands between theirs and Johnny’s to break the ground upon which they will all need to travel. One is chosen as herald and trained further in the ways of speed and friction. The herald enjoys some success and the following year another selection is planned. Word spreads and more contenders vie to join this alliance hoping for a chance to contend for a place. Once again, one rises above all, to take his place and be shown the mysteries governing speed and friction.

Johnny hears of this contest and since he is not born to money or parents knowledgeable of things such as speed and friction, determines to participate should the contest be offered the following year. The Corporations discover his interest and are delighted in his determination but know it is too soon for Little Johnny to join their efforts. They decided at the beginning to only allow those of a certain age to compete and when Johnny hears of this and realizes he must wait, is much disappointed. He resolves however, to bide his time and continue learning what he can from those close by. He also remembers he still has his old PS2 and the copy of Gran Turismo 4, which was not traded in for store credit. He begins anew using these tools to train and gain experience for the struggle he knows he will undertake.

Another year and another contest brings a third acolyte to the path.

That year the software company issues a new method of testing the mettle of prospective acolytes and Johnny goes to his Mother and Father and pleads with them to obtain Gran Turismo 5, which he states is made for the PS3 they bought almost 3 years earlier. They, still being good parents, and happy that Johnny has refrained from terrorizing the neighborhood cats, oblige and pick a copy from the shelves at their local Wally World. Johnny immediately begins training with this new tool but feels something is missing. He’s not sure what it is yet but he knows his tool-set is not complete.

Now, on the other side of the world the Corporations have been enlisting other companies to assist with providing the competition with the necessities for testing and training and know once Johnny discovers they exist he will be sure to obtain them.

The competition this year hails participants from Johnny’s homeland and while still not old enough to enter he is able to compare his skills to others and determine what needs to be done to claim his seat when he comes of age. This is when he sees the rest of the tools he needs to fully realize his potential. Once again he goes to his parents, they are pleased that he seems so focused in his efforts and though costly, they’re still able to provide the necessary equipment.

Three more years roll past while Johnny continues to train. The Alliance of Corporations work improvements to their hardware and software and manufacture new devices to add to the tool-set Johnny will need. Johnny and his parents buy each when it’s offered, all in an effort to support his dream of being the fastest man on the planet.

If I was G.R.R. Martin, Johnny’s older sister would now kill him, take all his GT gear and own all of you on the track.

LMAO. The marketing strategy I spoke of. Hook 'em young, string em along, spendin' their moniez all the while. Bill Gates has been doing that for 25 years or so.

Time for me to run off some more hours in my 24Le Mans.

Be back later.

Last edited:
LMAO. The marketing strategy I spoke of. Hook 'em young, string em along, spendin' their moniez all the while. Bill Gates has been doing that for 25 years or so.

Time for me to run off some more hours in my 24Le Mans.

Be back later.

GT Academy as a download is a marketing exercise. "Try these Nissan cars for free. Nissan. Nissan. Nissan."

But as a competition, it is slightly different. The real key to GT Academy is this. If you are racing, what determines what that the media (the connection between the sponsors and their targets) covers? You either have to win, have an attitude or be something special. Look at Le Mans. Look how much coverage Lucas and Jordan got. Look at every British GT race Jan is in. They mention GT Academy winner more than the seasoned drivers. Bryan and his team got many mentions during their Grand-Am races. This is why they do it. Just racing is not enough anymore.

paskowitz
GT Academy as a download is a marketing exercise. "Try these Nissan cars for free. Nissan. Nissan. Nissan."

But as a competition, it is slightly different. The real key to GT Academy is this. If you are racing, what determines what that the media (the connection between the sponsors and their targets) covers? You either have to win, have an attitude or be something special. Look at Le Mans. Look how much coverage Lucas and Jordan got. Look at every British GT race Jan is in. They mention GT Academy winner more than the seasoned drivers. Bryan and his team got many mentions during their Grand-Am races. This is why they do it. Just racing is not enough anymore.

Which would be why Sony and PD are "racing". They get credit for putting those men behind the wheel and their successes will be press they will use to sell their products. I don't have anything against what they are doing and am perfectly content to see Gamers and others who would not normally have this kind of opportunity, get a shot at the big time. If I was good enough I would surely be taking my shot and wouldn't look back. This does not prevent me from seeing the competition for what it truly is. A very clever marketing/recruitment strategy.

Well I'm not going to start an argument here because I think I should have had another chance. But what's done is done so I'll try my best on Sunday to get a nice time just to show them I'm still here, then I'll be on my merry way. Several of us are planning on doing the same thing.

Even if I'm eligible again next year, I probably won't be around anyway so it's a moot point.

You dont have to kill yourself because you cant compeate again. That wont make them change their minds." Several of us are planning on doing the same thing."
You guys are crazy. They didnt pick you. It's ok. Maybe foriza will start doing the same thing now that the winners are doing so good. you may get another chance. Dont take everyone with you.

i wonder if nissan appreciate the way the 370z is portrayed :D

Which would be why Sony and PD are "racing". They get credit for putting those men behind the wheel and their successes will be press they will use to sell their products. I don't have anything against what they are doing and am perfectly content to see Gamers and others who would not normally have this kind of opportunity, get a shot at the big time. If I was good enough I would surely be taking my shot and wouldn't look back. This does not prevent me from seeing the competition for what it truly is. A very clever marketing/recruitment strategy.
i think what people are trying to say is the whole life is a clever marketing recruitment strategy!

I think its just a general recruitment policy. Like a lot of companies will not accept cv's or reinterview people that have been interviewed previously. If the people that run the academy really thought a runner up from last year was good enough, they could just contact them and ask them to come and drive for them.

Eliminating those Silverstone finalists is a very dumb move for this year's GT Academy. What if those who are too afraid to reach the Silverston final this year. If they are not prepared, they just gonna make themself lose the second round. It's a pretty good way to eliminate the best racer. Sure we have million of player who tried GTA 2012 games but most of them are just a gamer who didn't really care about the competition.

Last edited:
magsolid
Eliminating those Silverstone finalists is a very dumb move for this year's GT Academy. What if those who are too afraid to reach the Silverston final this year. If they are not prepared, they just gonna make themself lose the second round. It's a pretty good way to eliminate the best racer. Sure we have million of player who tried GTA 2012 games but most of them are just a gamer who didn't really care about the competition.

What?

This is like saying every team that loses in the playoffs are permanently ineligible from future playoffs.

I don't see returning past competitors as "boring". It think it would add another element. Will those who "failed" in the past be able to step up and beat the young guns? If they want drama, that's drama.

I don't expect it to happen but it would be awesome if they invited the top 4 past competitors who are otherwise eligible as a "surprise twist".

I know if I was a past competitor I'd be busting my rump to set top time in this academy.

Last edited:
Two trains of thought come to mind here:

1. Bust your hump and break into the top 32 again to prove a point and show Nissan and Sony that we can go back to the finals if allowed.

2. Be quiet about and don't set a top 32 time so Nissan and Sony think less about having the same people come back year after year, then push any insider people at Sony or Nissan to allow past finalists to compete again.

I'm not sure what the better option is.

Back