Why you dont use AWD cars, and tires above comfort hard to drift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan
Japan
Mr Shakotan
After playing last night with friends and other usual lobby drifter, there was a few people complaining about not being able to drift there cars because of the tire setting and drive train restriction. One player stood out as for some reason he felt the need to curse the lobby host out because he couldn't drift his subaru. After laughing a bit at the user he goes on a rant about if awd cars aren't drift cars them why do people drift skylines. After laughing at that a bit I explained every skyline is not awd, and most skyline models through out history have been awd. Said user then said why do people drift subie's, and evo's. After laughing at that for a bit I then explained most cars in drift or D1 events in real life don't have there front axel shafts anymore thus making the car rwd. But any who on to why its stupid to drift awd cars and why its important to only drift with CH tires

If it was up too me and I was PD I would have made a drift specific tire too only be used while in drift lobbys or events and no car that's not RR FR or MR would be allowed for obvious reason's

Tires explained
Alot of the good drifters have online drift comps at some point. So because of that there has to be some rules or some level of equal playing field.
Why?... Well no one is going to give you any credit for your skills when your using tires with more grip, so too equal that out everyone must at least be on the same tire to be equal. And you shouldn't consider yourself a better drifter when your on a better tire then everyone else.
Plus its actually its better too add CH tires to your car your buying to tune for drift before any other mods get added to get use too the handling and what the car is and isn't doing.
Why because if you tune a car on a high grip tire and full tune then add CH tires just too get into a lobby its not going to be very controllable, which is the main excuse people give why they cant comply with the lobby rules and its a BS excuse. Some even say I cant afford too buy them and that is also BS CH tire's cost 1000 game dollars.
CH tires do have the least amount of grip but that does not mean the tires are not driftable, Step your skills up.

Drive trains explained
There is no reason (none) of why you should be drifting any car not rwd. If you can drift you can drift any rwd car with skill and tuning. Any excuse or reason why you cant is BS. If you can really drift you dont need AWD to do so. Not only that but If you understand over and under steer you already know a FR car is the best setup over all because of the cars balance, the weight is in the front with the engine under the hood and the power too the rear. Its not that RR or MR cars cant be drifted or cant be set up as good or better than a FR car but the weight of the motor is over the wheel with power, and those cars are built like that to keep the rear end planted, and to help traction so the balance of it is not as good, so those cars are setup to kinda not lose traction, but the feel of it is driver preference.

AWD setups
First off you dont need a awd car too drift, awd cars still understeer which is not ideal for drifting even when the power is split 10/90.
Why because there is 10% power being put down on the front. For example If you have a 1000hp car 10% of that is 100hp if my math is right.
There are rwd cars that in factory setting makes close or around 100hp and they are driftable. So you would be effectively still be putting enough power down on the front wheels to power a car.
Now what does that equal well when your sliding around a corner and you countersteer the front wheels are still putting power down which is going to cause grip that you dont need to drift. And a un desired snap back on weight transfer. Which is why when you see awd cars in a drift lobby there line or more like the letter j when you line should look more like the letter C. which is also why the awd users tend too be more aggresive and bumping people because your line isn't smooth plus the snap back is harsh. This is why there angles and lines always look harsh and broken. If you want to check this out for yourself just spectate in a lobby where there are alot of people using awd and just watch for a bit you will see this
Now for those who are used to this or have overcome this effect of front power it gives a unfair advantage as one can simply pitch a car side ways at a unreal angle and let the front power grab and correct for you. That is why they use those cars and the smart people know it, and your not fooling anybody. Plus like I said before if you really can drift you don't need AWD too do it. If you cant drift a rwd car and be decent with at least one car, you are not good and you need more practice. "OFFLINE" practice. The whole purpose of AWD is too not lose traction and too have as much grip to all wheels as possible at all times. you are working against what the car was designed too do, and it shows in the line you drift. there is a reason awd subies and evo's rule rally racing and why rwd cars rule drifting.

FF setup
FF or front engine front drive is the worse. There is no throttle steering there is no power to the rear, you have too tail drag on a ebrake to even get sidways in most case's and you cannot apply power to the rear to correct yourself. FF cars are also made to not lose traction and are the worse understeering cars of the bunch. They make good small tight and technical track cars use them for what there good for

Gymkhana and drift are two different things. Do not confuse what ken block does with what what Diago Saito not the same thing.

Do not get mad when you get laughed at for using or complaining about not being able too use a AWD car or FF in a drift lobby. And the more excuse's you make and the more you try too explain why your drifting a awd car is valid the more you will look like you know nothing about cars or drifting too those who actually do.

Look at the winning cars of the last few seasons of D1 or Formula D. You will not find a winner in anything other than RWD car. There is a reason for that. Even if for some strange reason you find a winning awd car, i bet if you find some info on the car it has no front axel shafts at the time of win.

For those who don't like too read the in a nutshell explaination. Save yourself and everybody else online drifting alot of trouble and build your main drift car with CH tires, and RWD platform. It save alot of ramming bumping, arguing, flamming and all the childish BS at bay. No body is going too take your awd subie serious, and nobody is going to respect your skills or change lobby rules too suit your skill level.

I don't drift very often, but nice write-up 👍 I have never understood why you would try to drift a FF car; sure you can abusing the E-Brake, but why do that when a RWD car will be so much easier and better at it?

I don't drift very often, but nice write-up 👍 I have never understood why you would try to drift a FF car; sure you can abusing the E-Brake, but why do that when a RWD car will be so much easier and better at it?

Perhaps because some people find it fun to do? 💡 :rolleyes:

I rarely drift "normal" cars you would see in a drift lobby, like the Nissan S-Chassis, Mazda RX-7/RX-8, Toyota Supra, and other lightweight Japanese FR cars. This is because I find it boring to see people driving the same thing over and over. Branch out a little. Use something you never have before. I can drift a 1968 Fiat 500 F, 1986 RUF BTR, and I used to drift a Peugeot 908 Le Mans Prototype in GT5. Instead of forcing everyone to drive the same boring stuff all the time, why not try something new and encourage other people to do so as well?

Remember the saying "Keep drifting fun"? Try that for once.

There is no reason (none) of why you should be drifting any car not rwd.
Actually, there are reasons. The most important reason is that the person who bought the game wants to and chooses to do so. There is no reason people have to play how other people tell them to. If I go into an online lobby and dislike the regulations, that's different. But I could drift a Subaru all I want with Sport Hards, just because I want to and because I can.

I rarely drift "normal" cars you would see in a drift lobby, like the Nissan S-Chassis, Mazda RX-7/RX-8, Toyota Supra, and other lightweight Japanese FR cars. This is because I find it boring to see people driving the same thing over and over. Branch out a little. Use something you never have before. I can drift a 1968 Fiat 500 F, 1986 RUF BTR, and I used to drift a Peugeot 908 Le Mans Prototype in GT5. Instead of forcing everyone to drive the same boring stuff all the time, why not try something new and encourage other people to do so as well?

Sorry, wasn't meaning to come off as an 🤬 :dunce:

I don't personally find that fun (FFs) but I guess you're right; everyone should do what they enjoy.

Drifting the 908 though :scared:

So you go about playing Soccer with a Rugby ball... Or play Tennis with a Volleyball?

Why change the way things are done, just for the sake of change? There ARE things that need to change in this world, but believe me, drifting is not one of them.

So you go about playing Soccer with a Rugby ball... Or play Tennis with a Volleyball?

So if you're not going FR with comfort hard tires it's against the rules? There are no rules in the game, sure competitions have such rules but that's not the point here.

Why change the way things are done, just for the sake of change? There ARE things that need to change in this world, but believe me, drifting is not one of them.

Why not? No reason not to. Not really for the sake of being different from others, but that it offers a different experience and for some it is fun.

I used to drift a Peugeot 908 Le Mans Prototype in GT5.

That's pretty wild. Never heard of this before.

Last edited:
So if you're not going FR with comfort hard tires it's against the rules? There are no rules in the game, sure competitions have such rules but that's not the point here.

Simple. Drifting is about making the car oversteer. The less grip, the easier it is to get the car to slide.

People that have the ability to play soccer outside of regulated games, try to stick as close to the rules as possible. I agree not everybody has that possibility.

So if people try to stick as close to the rulebook when it comes to a couple of the biggest sports on the planet, WHY change this when it comes to drifting?

Why not? No reason not to. Not really for the sake of being different from others, but that it offers a different experience and for some it is fun.

Yes, here is one reason to: Keep it simple. The more people do something the same way, the more people can enjoy the sport together. Like every other sport out there. If everybody drifts in a different way, you will NEVER get one united way of doing it.

Simple. Drifting is about making the car oversteer. The less grip, the easier it is to get the car to slide

Doesn't mean you can't use other methods, lowest compound and FR is the easiest, but the easiest is not always the only way.

People that have the ability to play soccer outside of regulated games, try to stick as close to the rules as possible. I agree not everybody has that possibility

They do, but given available resources they will use a soccer ball. The other way around, given available resources in GT, they will use other methods.

So if people try to stick as close to the rulebook when it comes to a couple of the biggest sports on the planet, WHY change this when it comes to drifting?

Drifting does not have a rulebook other then sliding about a corner. I understand people here follow the D1 and FD rules but that does not make it universal. Especially when someone is drifting for recreational purposes.

Yes, here is one reason to: Keep it simple. The more people do something the same way, the more people can enjoy the sport together. Like every other sport out there. If everybody drifts in a different way, you will NEVER get one united way of doing it.

Although this is a great point, the car world being united, that would wonderful. It just doesn't work that way. More so when someone doesn't particularly have to conform.

Doesn't mean you can't use other methods, lowest compound and FR is the easiest, but the easiest is not always the only way.

But why make things harder? There is NO logical explanation to make things harder. Definitely not given the fact that GT6 drifting is harder than GT5 drifting...

They do, but given available resources they will use a soccer ball. The other way around, given available resources in GT, they will use other methods.

So, basically I'm saying: IF people have the opportunity, they will try and stick to what everybody else does. Use a soccer ball.

And you reply: Yes, they will try stay as close to the normal version of the sport like everybody plays it, that is why people should NOT drift the way that a majority of the community does.

^ Does not make sense.

Drifting does not have a rulebook other then sliding about a corner. I understand people here follow the D1 and FD rules but that does not make it universal. Especially when someone is drifting for recreational purposes.

Yes. Drifting has a rulebook.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/gene...p-usa-rulebook-and-series-judging-format.html

I can link a couple more, but you catch my drift... (sorry for the pun)

Although this is a great point, the car world being united, that would wonderful. It just doesn't work that way. More so when someone doesn't particularly have to conform.

So, you're saying: "People aren't forced to conform to the community, so it will never happen. Why bother trying?"

The drifting community should be getting more on one page. Not make drifting such a versatile sport that there will be 20 different versions of it in the end.

But why make things harder? There is NO logical explanation to make things harder. Definitely not given the fact that GT6 drifting is harder than GT5 drifting...

Who says it's harder? You?

So, basically I'm saying: IF people have the opportunity, they will try and stick to what everybody else does. Use a soccer ball.

And you reply: Yes, they will try stay as close to the normal version of the sport like everybody plays it, that is why people should NOT drift the way that a majority of the community does.

^ Does not make sense.

Yes, but drifting is not only a sport. You don't have to follow rules to something that's not always a competition.

Yes. Drifting has a rulebook.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/gene...p-usa-rulebook-and-series-judging-format.html

I can link a couple more, but you catch my drift... (sorry for the pun)

So I say that D1 is not universal and that's exactly what you link me to. Try again.

So, you're saying: "People aren't forced to conform to the community, so it will never happen. Why bother trying?"

The drifting community should be getting more on one page. Not make drifting such a versatile sport that there will be 20 different versions of it in the end.

That's because there is no need to make everyone be on the same page. Nothing wrong with variation.

Who says it's harder? You?

No, physics and common sense. Try using racing tyres.

Yes, but drifting is not only a sport. You don't have to follow rules to something that's not always a competition.

Like I said before... Sports are often practiced in a friendly manner. Like a couple of guys going to kick a ball during their free time... They don't follow all the rules, but they stick to the concept. They stick to using a ball, and only their feet.

So I say that D1 is not universal and that's exactly what you link me to. Try again.

You say that drifting had no rules. I linked you a rulebook and I can link more of them. There ARE rules to drifting, and most competitions actually don't vary that much when it comes to the car.

That's because there is no need to make everyone be on the same page. Nothing wrong with variation.

So you want the drifting community, which is at most 1/10 of the grip racing community be split up because some people like to be special. Drifting with friends isn't good enough for them, so they have to use cars that are as ridiculous as possible?

There's no specific set of rules to drifting in the game. People can drift however they want to, unless they are in a competition with a set of rules.

No, physics and common sense. Try using racing tyres.

I thought this was strictly comfort and sport tires discussion. Of course racing tires will be a difficult feat. I guess I should have specified.

You say that drifting had no rules. I linked you a rulebook and I can link more of them. There ARE rules to drifting, and most competitions actually don't vary that much when it comes to the car.

Downhill Dino

Anyways.

So you want the drifting community, which is at most 1/10 of the grip racing community be split up because some people like to be special. Drifting with friends isn't good enough for them, so they have to use cars that are as ridiculous as possible?

Yeah, why not? Keep drifting fun.

I thought this was strictly comfort and sport tires discussion. Of course racing tires will be a difficult feat. I guess I should have specified.

Anyways.

Yeah, why not? Keep drifting fun.

I will bring up the soccer analogy one more time. You keep stating that drifting is not only a sport. That drifting has no rules. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there are rules. When friends sovver among each other, a lot of rules can be dropped. But it still is soccer. Playing with your hands, or playing for the purpose of playing any other game than soccer makes it stop being soccer.

Same as with drifting. If you change to 4WD cars, use extremely grippy tires or stupidly expensive cars, it stops being what drifting is about. It takes away those couple of things that define drifting.

I will bring up the soccer analogy one more time. You keep stating that drifting is not only a sport. That drifting has no rules. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there are rules. When friends sovver among each other, a lot of rules can be dropped. But it still is soccer. Playing with your hands, or playing for the purpose of playing any other game than soccer makes it stop being soccer.

Here's the difference, playing soccer for recreation is based on a sport. Drifting for recreation is not based on a sport. I was pretty sure that my statement of drifting not having rules was clarified when I said when it's done in a sport, or competition, it has no rules.

Same as with drifting. If you change to 4WD cars, use extremely grippy tires or stupidly expensive cars, it stops being what drifting is about. It takes away those couple of things that define drifting.

What's drifting about then?

Ya know when all is said and done with all the thought and energy and typing put in to this debate I doubt any one is going to change their mind and you probably could have solved world hunger...or at least run some laps at deep forest. ;)

Thanks for making that short one at the end because I'm and idiot and don't like to read.

I'm not trying to argue, but stating my opinion as you did. I disagree with your statement above from my action sports based opinion. Take BMX. It started as racing but people started doing tricks. Now there are many different forms of tricks, styles, and techniques they do. From flat land, to vert, to dirt jump, to park, to street, to what ever the hell it is that Tim Knolls does lol.

At the end of the day these riders will give props to each other even if they ride different from each other and even give it a try. The best riders in the world can face the multiple catagorys of riding. I know this because I'm friends with some XGames and professional mountain bike athletes.

To drift is to slide around a corner. There are going to be different ways to do it. Tandeming which most on this forum like, freestyle drift, Gymkhana, speed drifting...etc. There is no say wrong way of doing it, but if a room is labeled something; then yes they should follow the rules of that room, but if it's not there will be a problem.

I'll never understand the whole idea as to why other people care so much about how drifting should be done. It's the individuals choice to use whatever tyre compound and drivetrain they like, as long as they can be a formidable tandem partner in a lobby then who the hell are they hurting.

Only problem is anyone in a public lobby that uses an R34 drifts into me like a damn coal train and barges me out of the way :lol:

@Stavingo Well, atleast there's a RWD R32. Hopefully more people will be able to use it, now that it can be purchased easily.

Why do people desperatey cling to those stupid comfort hard tires.
ITS SOOO SLOOOOW.

You guys do realize that real professional drift cars are not setup to have compromised levels of traction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back