For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
8hC75.jpg

fOTYm.jpg

9SxCs.jpg

HD Zelda. Ahem. Excuse me...I'll uh, I'll be right back.

So, I'm a bit of a Nintendo... I guess "fanboy" is the proper term here, but regardless of that, there's no way to deny Nintendo has lacked third-party support (even though in lieu of that the Wii is still the most successful console this generation by a wide margin, and is likely to either match or exceed lifetime sales for the PS2), and as a result has lost much of the "hardcore" crowd. Now, things are looking to take a turn for the better... you know all of this, don't you? Let's just get to the latest news already:

(The following are taken from IGN)​

Global Wii U Launch By End of 2011

UPDATE: In an investor's conference in Japan, Iwata also mentioned that the "final format" of Wii U will be shown at E3 2012. (No further clarification was given on this statement - it's unknown if Iwata is actually referencing the system/controller design, or simply making a broader comment about the system's final details.) The company also wants to organize a Japan-centric show for the region's wholesalers and financial analysts who cannot attend E3.

Iwata stressed that Nintendo "is aiming to firmly complete the development of the entire system and prepare sufficient software so that the Wii U will be at its best at the time of the launch. Needless to say, we have learned a bitter lesson from the launch of the Nintendo 3DS."

ORIGINAL STORY: Faced with intense scrutiny, investor pressure and the first fiscal year losses for his company in over 25 years, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata once again reiterated plans for the future. Notably that includes making sure Wii U is available globally by the 2012 holiday season.

Though we've heard many times Nintendo plans to release the new home console sometime this year, this is the first we've heard Nintendo outright state it plans to bring the system to all major territories (North America, Japan, Europe and Australia) by the holidays.

In remarks to reporters, Iwata also emphasized he plans to restore Nintendo to profitability next fiscal year.

Wii U Controller Has New Functionality

Nintendo's touch screen controller for the Wii U is now becoming a more powerful tool for communication. During the latest investor conference for the company, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed "NFC functionality" would be featured in the tablet device.

NFC, short for Near Field Communication, is a communication standard which allows for wireless distribution of information. Iwata described the uses of NFC to investors in this way:

"By installing this functionality, it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data via noncontact NFC and to expand the new play format in the video game world. Adoption of this functionality will enable various other possibilities such as using it as a means of making micropayments."

It remains to be seen just how Nintendo plans to make use of the Wii U controller's NFC abilities. In addition to communicating with its own system, the tablet could conceivably relay information to other Wii U systems or controllers.

Nintendo Confirms "Nintendo Network"

Nintendo has finally confirmed its plans for the Nintendo Network, a formal, branded service for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Outlining the concept in brief during an investor's program, company president Satoru Iwata confirmed the online infrastructure is already in place for the service.

Iwata quickly drew a contrast with his company's previous Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection program:

"Unlike Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which has been focused upon specific functionalities and concepts, we are aiming to establish a platform where various services available through the network for our consumers shall be connected via Nintendo Network service so that the company can make comprehensive proposals to consumers."

The publisher's plans are as follows:

Personal Accounts for Wii U - Nintendo will now allow personalized accounts for its next home console, which will allow multiple users per system. Online profiles will no longer be system-based. "We will also be able to construct and offer the [personal account system] by combining a variety of different services and content," Iwata said.

Digitally Distributed Packaged Software -Nintendo is exploring the idea of selling full retail games through the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The company is not willing to say when this program will start, but it now has the full ability to do so. Iwata noted Nintendo would need to consider retailer relationships first. He also noted SD card space limitations would be another factor. "The significance of this business field will increase," said Iwata.

Paid Downloadable Content - As we've heard previously, publishers will now be able to offer paid DLC for different games, starting with Square's Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, which will allow players to purchase new songs for the rhythm-based game. The title releases in Japan on February 16.

"As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is," Iwata said. "We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time."

Iwata wrapped the Nintendo Network segment of his investor presentation with the following statement: "Whether it's our first-party titles or third parties' titles, for a number of games, we will actively attempt to achieve compatibility so that our consumers can enjoy our online services that we will deploy under the name of the Nintendo Network."

I find the controller bit particularly interesting because despite NFC's extremely low range of operation, the controller can easily act as a memory device by way of SRAM, or even better, SD cards (which they're focusing on anyway). It can also act as a universal remote control, an impromptu laptop (nothing to do with NFC, it just popped into my head). The possibilities are nearly limitless - and this is just with NFC's integration.

Let the speculation begin!

Disclaimer: I swear there was a similar thread like this that either I made or someone else did, but, for the life of me, I simply cannot unearth it.

I've never been a big fan of a single "character" series in video games. That could be why I've given up on Nintendo and their old flagship characters I've grown out of. N64 was the last Nintendo system I've owned. I like that Sony creates new IP's with every new system. Fresh stuff, not being afraid to take chances on new a series. Resistance, Uncharted and Infamous were all brilliant ideas to use the popular PS2 franchise developers to create new IP's for PS3. Coming off of IP's that did not exist on PS1. PS1 with IP's that did not make it to PS2 and have been ignored on PS3.

Nintendo has to be innovative since they are the least creative gaming company out there when it comes to NEW games. I liked Mario and zelda as a kid so I see why kids still like them, there will never be a shortage of children or young women. So they will whore out the franchise's to sell 8-9million games a year that sell the system. Stick with what works to make money while some older gamers(30's) like my self can enjoy grown up games like Dark Souls and Fallout 3. I still like my cute quirky games but not a flagship titles. /end rant

With that, This will be a pass for me but my Son his mom and and sister might like it. The next generation is going to be an interesting one and by the end of it could see one leaving for good if gamers will have 3-4 options for the exact same game on 4 different platforms in some cases.

Last edited:
I'll pass. I do NOT like that controller. The ergonomics are terrible.

I'll pass. I do NOT like that controller. The ergonomics are terrible.

I passed similar judgment on the original Xbox controller; you know what happened when I actually tried it? It was unbelievably comfortable and still is the single most accommodating, comfortable controller I've ever had the convenience of using.

Judge it after you've held it.

---

Do tell, what's a "grown up" game?

33 years old here and still enjoy all the mario releases. They may not be the deepest storylines but level design and gameplay are fantastic. With the third party support the U is getting it may just be a very good system. The use of screen in controller is a fantastic idea for all genres of game with endless possibilites. The ability to use it as a handheld monitor while in range of the console itself is great, but it seems nintendo is only allowing one tablet controller to sync at a time. Shame really as games like mariokart would be cool if everyone had there own screens.

Sometimes its nice to sit down and play a "kids" game. You know, have some fun. You dont need blood, realistic violence, boobs, and swears to make a truly good game.
There hasnt been a bad game in the zelda series and it has gone quite a few directions over the years. I do agree that some new IPs would ne nice, but its not really needed. Would it matter if the made a game like zelda but instead if link you were some other type of character. Same developers, same style art, same style music, same base storyline. Would this constitute a new ip because it was reskinned and renamed? Or would the masses complain about dublicate style games.

I passed similar judgment on the original Xbox controller; you know what happened when I actually tried it? It was unbelievably comfortable and still is the single most accommodating, comfortable controller I've ever had the convenience of using.

Judge it after you've held it.

---

Do tell, what's a "grown up" game?

And watch, I'll end up getting the system.

Caz
Sometimes its nice to sit down and play a "kids" game. You know, have some fun. You dont need blood, realistic violence, boobs, and swears to make a truly good game.

There hasnt been a bad game in the zelda series and it has gone quite a few directions over the years. I do agree that some new IPs would ne nice, but its not really needed. Would it matter if the made a game like zelda but instead if link you were some other type of character. Same developers, same style art, same style music, same base storyline. Would this constitute a new ip because it was reskinned and renamed? Or would the masses complain about dublicate style games.

Its ok since I just ignore the system flat out. Nothing wrong with they are doing, I just don't need it. I too like quirky kids games or "E" rated games. Just not as the Flagship series. I'm a big Katamari fan but I would not buy an entirely new system for it.I wasn't judging the quality, I too am 33 been gaming since atari :). Got PS1 at 17. I'm also the type of gamer does not have to play every game out there. I just play what I'm interested in Nin franchises don't interest me anymore.

Grown up game? Anything I do not want my Son playing or something he can't get into because its too complexed. Mostly grown up games aren't really fun to play, most kids would be turned off by challenge and complexity. Adult choices confuse my son so he would not like Dragon age or Mass Effect. It's sometimes competitive, challenging rewarding but not fun. Dead Space was not fun at all, it was challenging and rewarding and at time frightening. It was also a great game with a mature story and great gameplay. MY son loves bright colorful games that are pick up and play, not going though menu after menu just to face a complex series of stats, classes and choices he can't comprehend fast enough to keep interest. Those are grown up games. It doesn't have to involve blood and gore all the time.

may have to change the thread title http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6349338.html

If they are going after a different market then a change of name would be a good idea.

While I applaud the possibility of a new name (I knew they were going to call it Wii U before they actually announced it), the name doesn't sell the product. It helps, but it doesn't outright sell the product.

They better not call it Super Wii either. :lol:

Lol at super wii.

I honestly think it would be a mistake to keep the wii branding. Too many people will not buy it simply because of the reputation of the wii library. As seen in this thread. I think it would be awesome if the brought the revolution name back.

@labounti : apologies if my post sounded harsh. After rereading it, it sounds like i was trying to be a @#$%. Was not my intent.

There was a unit at CES a few weeks back. I saw it in person but didn't get to play with it. Some of the people there said the controller is pretty light for the size.

If they went away from the white color scheme and went with a silver with blue trim and named it the Nintendo "Unitii" Unifying all gamers hardcore and casuals. Unifying the 3DS and Wiimotes to use along with one console, that would be interesting. Well thats what its doing.

may have to change the thread title http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6349338.html

If they are going after a different market then a change of name would be a good idea.

The name since it was announced just sounds stupid in my opinion. It's like hey guys, I got a new PS4. And your friend says, I just got an Xbox 720! And then you hear, well I just got a U! Ya that sounds about right.

That looks like PS3 controller with the sticks moved and a screen stuck on the middle.

Old design (left) and New design (right)
2qlr9fn.jpg
6dsgt4.jpg

35lvhh2.jpg
23rpag8.jpg

168xx7s.jpg
29mrd6d.jpg

Project Cars First Wii U details
6zu6ad.jpg

Wii U price and release date reportedly leaked by Ubisoft Milan developer

Nintendo’s Wii U has yet to receive an official release date and pricing, although what we do know so far is that the console is expected to see a release some time later this year. Thanks to a forum post on Italian website, MarioCastle.it, a poster claiming to be a developer for Ubisoft Milan has “leaked” the details of the upcoming Wii U console including its release date, price along with some of its hardware specs and its upcoming games.

For starters, the Wii U is expected to support DirectX 11 and will come with 2GB of RAM, 560MB of which will be dedicated to the operating system. The launch date is set for the 23rd of November and will cost between $350-$450 and will see its graphics powered by the AMD Radeon HD 6770 chipset. The console will also come with preinstalled software and reportedly developers such as Crytek, EA and Valve are currently working on games for the Wii U as well, with Valve working on a digital distribution (Steam for Wii U?) system and a possible Portal port.

Last edited:
What's the launch titles on the Wii u?
So far, from what I could find, these are rumored to be launch titles....

25 Launch Titles:
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassin’s Creed
Batman Arkham City
Darksiders II
Dirt 3
Formula 1 All Stars
Game Party
Ghost Recon Online
Just Dance 4
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Marvel Super Heroes
Metro Last Light
Monsters Party
New Super Mario Bros. Mii
Ninja Gaiden 3
Pikmin
Rabbids Party Land
Raving Rabbids
Rayman Legends
Shield Pose
Splinter Cell 6
Sports Connection
Tekken
Your Shape 2013
Zombie

Nintendo: two Wii U Gamepads will work on one system (update 2: but at a cost

Nintendo broke a few hearts when it initially said the Wii U would only support one of its unique Gamepads. Much to our delight, the company just said in its live keynote that the final console will support two. As such, it'll be possible to have truly equal two-player games instead of relegating a friend to the old-fashioned Wii remote and Nunchuk. Of course, how much that extra Gamepad will cost we have yet to know -- along with whether or not it'll be possible to have strictly Gamepad-to-Gamepad titles that skip the TV entirely. We expect to find out soon.

Update: In a follow-up, Nintendo Japan has posted on Twitter that there's a price to pay if two Gamepads are active. Frame rates drop to about 30 fps if two are active; any games that really want that extra controller won't be quite as glass-smooth. On the upside, it's possible to switch one off with a smooth transition; there won't be a need for theatrics just to switch to a solo game. Credit: Jon Fingas

Wii U GamePad Virtual Tour

Wii U - Project P-100 E3 Trailer

2a9v3ua.jpg

34nskxy.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing as I have a triforce tattoo on my wrist I think people will know where my heart lies in video games. The WiiU will be a buy for me as soon as Zelda HD comes along. If they release a special edition even better. Can't wait.

20ft0d2.jpg

A List Of Wii U Games In Development & Launch Titles(Holiday)

RETAIL GAMES:

2K Sports:
NBA 2K13 – Holiday

D3 Publisher:
Ben 10: Omniverse – Holiday
Family Party: 30 Great Games (working title) – Holiday
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game – Holiday

Electronic Arts:
Mass Effect 3 – Holiday

Maximum Games:
Jet Tailfin – Holiday

Namco Bandai: