Will AI opponents be updated in GT6 ?

• Thread starter TurismoBad
  • 78 comments
Italy
Italy
The AI opponents are way too slow and not very bright often making the players spin out by bumping into our cars even on the straight when there is plenty of room left and right to overtake.

This really lowers the quality of the offline races.

Gamespot

"The AI needs a big upgrade as well. Despite promised improvements, Gran Turismo 6 feels much the same as past GT games.

Opponents adhere to a rigid racing line, behaving more like slot cars than real racers. They show almost no awareness of either you or the other AI drivers, clumsily turning into other cars, stamping on the brakes way too early, and failing to power out of corners.

In this regard, GT6 feel hugely dated in comparison to its competition and sucks the fun out of the racing. The driving itself is hugely enjoyable and rewarding, but racing with the AI is more like an elaborate obstacle course than a motorsport event."

InsideSimRacing

"The AI is not a challenge at all which makes the license tests and progression painfully boring. I do like the added challenges where you have to beat a time to get a gold trophy, etc, but that’s not really AI. The AI are basically drones that offer no challenge or aggression. I call them “rolling chicanes”.

Example, I ran a National A race with the Mazda Miata.
I chose a car that was a lot slower than the 9 cars that every AI driver takes. I ended up passing the 1st place car on lap 7 of 8 and easily held it off. The AI seem to only be able to drive fast in a straight line. They’re horrible at braking and taking a corner at speed."

Last edited:
The AI opponents are way too slow and not very bright often making the player spin out by bumping into our cars even on the straight when there is plenty of room left and right to overtake.

This really lowers the quality of the offline races.

I love this question, but I fear he may dodge it a bit when answering. Could I suggest that Jordan perhaps also asks in conjunction with your question if we could have a difficulty slider like we have in single player?

I agree, we sort of need AI a bit like the F1 games that Codemasters have released, they can be quite challenging... or more limiting factors in races like we had in GT2.

GT2 had only one limiting factor: HP limit.
Some races had other limitations, but most of them is "fine" to use a GT300 Race car

The Driving Tests have been great to learn some tricky curves. The problem in GT6 is that you have to drive against brainless AI to open them.

Another additional question could be, if it could be possible to have another way to grind money for online racing if the AI can not be improved. Racing against the AI is not really entertaining as it is now :boggled:

Last edited:
The slow AI is the one thing that's keeps stopping me from playing GT6. They are so slow that by the end of lap 1, from starting last as you always do, I am usually in 2nd place. Please make them faster and more challenging.

I would add - Will AI be updated with the ability to 'learn' or is that something you are considering for GT7?

I'm more concerned with the rubber-banding (and the pointless parking/slowing down) than with the fact that they occasionally bump you. Obviously I'd like to see the bumping fixed, but the assumed fix for that in GT5 was to make them park whenever you get near them and that created an even worse problem which we still have to deal with to a slightly lesser degree to this day. Thankfully they don't seem to do it when you are directly behind them any more, which had created far more accidents than it avoided.

So while I'm not sure the wording of the OP is exactly what I want, I still wholeheartedly support the main point: Can the AI be improved? [and please please please remove the rubber banding]

I noticed when I watch replays that the AI is going slower than the speedometer says. I would overtake someone that was going 15mph when I'm just going 140mph. Has anyone else notices this or is that what rubberbanding is?

Haven't we all been asking AI improvements since 1998? I had personally given up on GT's AI. I suspect that AI component on GT Series is and always has been something created only to satisfy PD's publishing deal with Sony so that it could be considered as a game.

PD rather spent more processing power on visuals and physics available for that particular game platform at the time even though some of these things are questionable like poor sounds, incomplete interiors, etc. which some of us would rather they get all these things right first as we can then have satisfying game mechanics for online races.

Like it or not, this approach worked well so far based on sales and enough to satisfy Sony to keep funding the series.

As for GT6, a solid no because a lot of the processing power went into their "Astronomical Simulation System" :D

You rather wish they would keep improving the online features instead. :P

Last edited:
This is the aspect of GT6 I would most like to be updated. Challenging offline races where I can barely win, and even once in the lead I am challenged and re-overtaken again. Option to turn off rubber banding would be very welcome too.

This is the aspect of GT6 I would most like to be updated. Challenging offline races where I can barely win, and even once in the lead I am challenged and re-overtaken again. Option to turn off rubber banding would be very welcome too.

So then you can choose either play GT or Need for Speed: Underground :lol:

Why not have 5 levels of challenge? Or the infinite slider? I have a reasonable challenge from the current AI. I have yet to get into the S-license (can't even win the championship races....) So for me, the AI is perfect. However, I know MANY people who think the AI was made for children (current responders included).

So why not more levels of challenge, or a flat out slider? (And the timing difficulty to clear you for a higher access on the slider. IE... if you beat the gold time by X amount, the slider will allow you to go to 100% (or more ;) ) challenge, but if you barely bronze, you can't go past 40-50% challenge.)

An AI slider or threshold adjustment of some kind is a fine idea.

Perhaps one for speed, and one for aggression. May be one for racecraft (but this one sounds very difficult to implement).

Yeah, I thought of multiple sliders, myself, but I'm not sure how that could be implemented. It's possible, but maybe not probable.

I have been playing Need for Speed Shift and Shift 2 Unleashed for weeks now (for the time being i just play Gran Turismo 6 for Seasonal Events and GT Academy), and one thing i really like with the Shift series is the AI, they spin out and crashes, they changes positions, they move over when i try to perform a clean overtake, they are trying to avoid contact with my car if i come to close, if i hit them, they hit me back, and they are not slowing down if i crash, i would really like to see similar AI in the future of Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
S
I have been playing Need for Speed Shift and Shift 2 Unleashed for weeks now (for the time being i just play Gran Turismo 6 for Seasonal Events and GT Academy), and one thing i really like with the Shift series is the AI, they spin out and crashes, they changes positions, they move over when i try to perform a clean overtake, they are trying to avoid contact with my car if i come to close, if i hit them, they hit me back, and they are not slowing down if i crash, i would really like to see similar AI in the future of Gran Turismo.

Sometimes though, Shift 2 AI are plain psychotic.

We need the other sliders adding in the options, we only have ai_roughness, please add the rest with a +20 maximum setting limit.

I'll be surprise if any Sim have such slider options. These AI adjustments should be transparent to gamers. All we need is 5 levels max (Beginner–Pro) of game difficulty adjustments like any other sports sims (which will also apply to GT license difficulty etc.) if you ask me. And that is if they can even get the AI right to begin with and make them challenging enough with some unpredictability and less rigid behaviour. Will you want to be able to adjust the AI in a footy game with options like, "Less accuracy with shots/passes"? ;)

Maybe the question should be "Will AI in GT6 behave less like you're racing slot cars?" :lol:

Last edited:
Back