Will AI opponents be updated in GT6 ?

• Thread starter TurismoBad
  • 78 comments
Better yet, "Do you play GT6?" Yes or no, I'd love to see his answer/explanation.

We know that he plays the game, he's said before that he uses it to train for the races he does in real life. I'm just wondering if that's all he uses it for. It would explain why he's seemingly unwilling to improve the game if he himself doesn't really play against the AI etc.

I know a lot of people are downright rabid because of the sounds, lack of damage, lame online build and other things, but the bot A.I. really needs to be unchained to perform in a sensible manner for the sake of giving life to the single player offline experience. As well as giving us the opportunity to race against bots in the Senna update.

I can work around the bot issue, but you have to reach a certain level for that to be fun, and I'd really like to race all the levels against competent bots.

My hope is that PD is currently working on a improved AI, this might be the reason that were only seeing Time Trials in the Seasonal Events, no races, no endurance events & no B-Spec, all are tied together. For offline I think the weak AI is at the core of all the problems, at least for me, livery, sound, etc., being satellite issues that need there fixing too.

I used to think that the reason for rolling starts was for optimization of graphics, spreading out the field, qualifying and starting up further on the rolling grid shouldn’t create graphical issues, but everything seems to be about giving the AI the best head start, I think that’s why no qualifying. Playing GT3 again made me realize what qualifying brought to the table, a chance to get warm up laps, getting a better feel of the way a car handles on the track, so when that you start the race it’s a much better experience, much like racing in some of the F1 games. Like GT3 qualifying would be optional.

The AI I would like to have would have more than one personalty, several from passive to aggressive.

I feel that in the beginner's events the AI should make lots of mistakes and be not as aware of their surroundings as they could be (acting like inexperienced racers), whilst as you progress through the game errors would be massively decreased and more aggressive/passive according to gaps to ahead/behind drivers whilst being being far more aware of their surroundings. Of course, diving and unpredictable moves would not be catered for to discourage such behaviour, just like real racing.

My hope is that PD is currently working on a improved AI, this might be the reason that were only seeing Time Trials in the Seasonal Events, no races, no endurance events & no B-Spec, all are tied together. For offline I think the weak AI is at the core of all the problems, at least for me, livery, sound, etc., being satellite issues that need there fixing too.

I used to think that the reason for rolling starts was for optimization of graphics, spreading out the field, qualifying and starting up further on the rolling grid shouldn’t create graphical issues, but everything seems to be about giving the AI the best head start, I think that’s why no qualifying. Playing GT3 again made me realize what qualifying brought to the table, a chance to get warm up laps, getting a better feel of the way a car handles on the track, so when that you start the race it’s a much better experience, much like racing in some of the F1 games. Like GT3 qualifying would be optional.

The AI I would like to have would have more than one personalty, several from passive to aggressive.

Sooo... You want them to be passive aggressive, hm? ;)

I feel that in the beginner's events the AI should make lots of mistakes and be not as aware of their surroundings as they could be (acting like inexperienced racers), whilst as you progress through the game errors would be massively decreased and more aggressive/passive according to gaps to ahead/behind drivers whilst being being far more aware of their surroundings. Of course, diving and unpredictable moves would not be catered for to discourage such behaviour, just like real racing.

gitslautriv - I like these ideas.

You do have a nice concept. 👍 Or if PD could implement that 1-100 scale difficulty from GT5 Prologue, that would be good too, though I'd prefer that the difficulty involved the bots much more than just adding more powerful cars to the race.

You do have a nice concept. 👍 Or if PD could implement that 1-100 scale difficulty from GT5 Prologue, that would be good too, though I'd prefer that the difficulty involved the bots much more than just adding more powerful cars to the race.

This goes, as well to different numbers of and reasons for the sliders as your level increases. Ie, at first, just aggresive/non, then fast/slow, then tune, can't tune, etc... :)

I found my old Gameboy over the weekend. It still had a copy of Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing in it from 1992.

As you can see it has the same AI model as all GT games...

I found my old Gameboy over the weekend. It still had a copy of Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing in it from 1992.

As you can see it has the same AI model as all GT games...

Yes! F1 cars at 90's Silverstone! That's what we need! No wait, what was the question? ;)

Back on topic, it's a bit embarrassing that a 22 year old Gameboy game (in which is essentially out of date home console technology) has similar AI to a new home console game :banghead:

Edit: Corrected maths, otherwise identical to the original post.

Last edited:
Yes! F1 cars at 90's Silverstone! That's what we need! No wait, what was the question? ;)

Back on topic, it's a bit embarrassing that a 12 year old Gameboy game (in which is essentially out of date home console technology) has similar AI to a new home console game :banghead:

That's a 22 year old Gameboy game...I just checked it on my calculator to make sure so don't feel too bad that you got it wrong

Yeah the AI bugs the poo out of me all the time. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Grand Prix 4 from, coincidentally, 12 years ago but the AI in that game was pretty solid. It would slow up behind you if it was getting too close and would actually wait for a good moment to pass and also seemed to know when you were coming up behind it and obey blue flags etc. I'm not sure why GT can't seem to get it right yet.

That's a 22 year old Gameboy game...I just checked it on my calculator to make sure so don't feel too bad that you got it wrong

You played the Gameboy game on your calculator? Cool! <joke> <though it wouldn't surprise me if today's calculators did have the power to play old Gameboy games!>

I'm sure AI could be pretty easily fixed.
They have pretty rigid lines, and rubber-banding is just patronising.

use the ghost lines from the online community and a slider for AI difficulty.
i.e take the top 20, 50, 100 times and lines for any given track in the online rankings and model the AI on that,
then have a difficulty slider which is either faster or slower.

making the AI fight back/ defend is obviously harder to manipulate,
but if they can at least be fast, then that would be an improvement.
My stock BRZ shouldn't be flogging the AI in an NSX

I played the new Grid Autosport tonight and the AI is top notch. Extremely fast, on pace everywhere on the track, you literally cannot tell them from a human driver. No need for rubber banding, they don't slow a whisper when in the lead and they never give up if they're behind you.

making the AI fight back/ defend is obviously harder to manipulate
Along with this, I don't want to lose the "human drama" of the bots making mistakes, like late braking to pass me on a turn and leaving the track, as I've done a few times myself. But if those elite lap times could be gene spliced into the bot intelligence, probably with the SRF laps filtered out, and with separate bots having individual behavior, that would rock Gran Turismo into the horizon. And beyond the Horizon. ;)

Along with this, I don't want to lose the "human drama" of the bots making mistakes, like late braking to pass me on a turn and leaving the track, as I've done a few times myself. But if those elite lap times could be gene spliced into the bot intelligence, probably with the SRF laps filtered out, and with separate bots having individual behavior, that would rock Gran Turismo into the horizon. And beyond the Horizon. ;)
In real life racing, in top series anyway, mistakes are very rare without contact but I can understand the need for an arcade element to be added to liven things up. Like everything else, I'd like it to have it's own individual slider.

In Grid Autosport you qualify for the first race then run a reverse grid second race. The guys at the front of the pack are better drivers, smoother and more consistent and rarely make mistakes, whereas the back markers kick the tail out more often and once in a while spin or damage their car, perhaps 1 per race. The racing is literally white knuckle, and to me, pretty much perfect AI except they are a little aggressive but that can be toned down. PD would do well to copy that model.

In real life racing, in top series anyway, mistakes are very rare without contact but I can understand the need for an arcade element to be added to liven things up. Like everything else, I'd like it to have it's own individual slider.

This is why in post 38 I suggested increasing AI consistancy as the game modes progress :) Maybe some form of hidden AI driver reliability slider. (I bet TRL likes this... ;) )

Latest Posts

Back