Well Niky, (btw, hello, good to catch you around the forum again

)...
I have some concepts to discuss regarding your comments...
1) I consider Fleet Sales a valid form of sales. If fleet sales were more profitable I would totally support them. However, because of what fleet sales to rental car companies can do to a vehicles long term value and reputation- I do not "like" fleet sales.
That still doesn't make them any less important or valid... Fleet sales are just those- Important and Valid.
2) GM may not be legally responsible for the actions of their dealers but they are certain the victims of their dealers actions.
Does this mean GM is responsible for the actions of their dealers? No.
Does this mean GM
should put more effort into controlling the quality of their dealerships? Quite possibly YES. 👍
GM has no obligation to make sure their dealers are top notch.
However, GM should spent more time concerning themselves with the actions of their dealers.
If I was a GM executive, I would suggest that "GM over-sight of dealer practices" became a top priority.
That doesn't mean GM could controll sales tactics or specific inventories.
However, that also does not mean that GM would be prohibited from "keeping dibs" on the dealers, their inventory, their sales, and their sales practices.
Fact is, you are right- a dealership is responsible for the "GM" experience (although you didn't say that exactly, I am simply re-stating what I thought to be the thesis of your comment).
However, GM does have a vested interest in the atmosphere, practices, and availible product at the various dealers carrying the GM name.
As hard as it may be to do so, I believe GM needs to take a more previlant role at the dealership level.
True:
The legal ability to act on this idea very limited.
False:
GM has absolutely no responsibility to invest in this sort of idea.
I fully believe that GM's dealer
s were responsible for my purchase from another brand.
My experience with GM was not limited to one dealer... Several dealers proved to be problems in my search.
Not suprisingly, Toyota was more receptive, forward about pricing / build quality, and respectful than GM.
Indeed the dealer level is where the problems occured but when it is the "Dealers" that create and the problems there is a greater issue at hand.
If this was one isolated incident or limited to one particular dealer I would not be so tough on GM (as I really like GM in general).
However, this was not an isolated incident or a single dealer... The problems I faced were broad in spectrum and point of origin.
