Will Gran Turismo Mobile suck out the battery life of the PSP?

• Thread starter ninja220
  • 60 comments
As you know Polyphony Digital amazed us by managing to squeeze in Gran Turismo PSP onto just 1GB. Fitting 800 cars and 35 tracks was one of the main problems for Kazunori Yamauchi.

But with so much detail and the game running at 60 FPS will Gran Turismo PSP suck out the battery life of our PSP's before we know it? Hopefully it won't and PD can stun us once more.

How long do you think Gran Turismo should run for before the battery dies?

How many hours would you find acceptable?

I think it depends, in first place, if you get a digital copy or a umd. As we know, the umd drive sucks a lot of battery, so i'd guess the ones with a digital copy of GT Mobile will get more playtime from their batteries :)

All PSP games run at the ame consumption rate ,so battery life won't be a problem for now.

That's amazing to hear that it has been compressed to 1GB! Is that confirmed?
Saves me buying another memory stick :)
(sorry, it's news to me, hadn't seen it in another thread)

GT Mobile will probably use the full 333mhz the PSP has to offer, and it will most likely use everything the system has to offer. So the load the PSP will get to suffer will be just about the same as God of War on the PSP since this game uses the full power of the PSP aswell.
God of War runs about 120 minutes (2 hours) on my PSP played from an UMD. When played from a memory stick my PSP lasts about 150 minutes (2,5 hours).
I guess it will be more of less the same for GT:Mobile.

Btw, i have a PSP-1000 (Japanese launch model) with the first generation 1800mah battery. So the newer PSP's might last a little longer (+30 mins or so).

Extended battery life?
Yeah, I bought the extended life battery for my PSP 2000, which came with special battery covers so that it would fit. Sitting idle on the XMB with the dimmest screen setting I can get 13 hours out of it. I can get as much as 8 hours watching movies from the Memory Stick, and I have never actually played games from charge to full drain in one sitting, but I think it is about 4 hours from a UMD game.

pspbatnew.png

I think they still make them for the PSP 3000.

I can get 4 hours from a UMD, so I don't think this battery extender would help much.
Like I said, I haven't tested for straight gaming.

I have unlocked the Endless Setlist in Rock Band Unplugged so I may be testing that soon.

I think they still make them for the PSP 3000.

Not anymore. You can get 3rd party batteries from dealextreme.com but be warnend these can be realy fake.

The reason Sony does not sell them anymore had to do with illegal things going on with them.

thanks for the tip. I might do some things with my credit card tomorrow :)

Does this also have the thick covers with it? I have a psp3000 so I need those as well.

Edit: read Marco READ!!!. Yes it has the 2 covers for piano black and silver.

Last edited:
thanks for the tip. I might do some things with my credit card tomorrow :)

Does this also have the thick covers with it? I have a psp3000 so I need those as well.

Edit: read Marco READ!!!. Yes it has the 2 covers for piano black and silver.
Well, I don't know if you have Best Buy there, but I am sure you can find it somewhere.

Over here in Holland I searched, but no luck. I hope Best Buy ships to Europe.

edit: Best Buy does not ship ouside US oh well. Maybe I have to search better over here.

Okay..... not really easy to find the 2200 Sony battery. I tried deepdiscount.com, but the order was set to backorder. So I canceled that.

No I bought it via yesasia.com. Expected arival date: 1 Oktober 2009 :)

I hope yesasia will deliver. I think the official 2200 Sony batteries are hard to get if you live in Europe.

2 years ago I had a psp 2000 with a 2200 battery from Sony. But I sold that one and got me a N DS. After a year of trying kiddy games and a broken hinge I sold the DS and got the psp3000. 24 days to GT mobile.... :)

Oh yes, it sure will. But I'd like to have some more battery power on my psp. Actually I swore to myself that I will never play a UMD game anymore. The loading times and the noise make it not a good medium imho.

In all honesty, i dont mind that much... Usually if i am able to, I bring my charge along with me, and keep it chargin on road trips...

Okay..... not really easy to find the 2200 Sony battery. I tried deepdiscount.com, but the order was set to backorder. So I canceled that.

No I bought it via yesasia.com. Expected arival date: 1 Oktober 2009 :)

I hope yesasia will deliver. I think the official 2200 Sony batteries are hard to get if you live in Europe.

2 years ago I had a psp 2000 with a 2200 battery from Sony. But I sold that one and got me a N DS. After a year of trying kiddy games and a broken hinge I sold the DS and got the psp3000. 24 days to GT mobile.... :)

Im such an idiot... I had bought that extended battery for my PSP-1000 but when I sold it I figured that battery doesnt fit in my PSP-2000, so I bundled it with the 1000 model that I sold... but now I see it does... I didnt know those battery covers existed... That blows!! Now I dont know where I can get that battery again... I got it at Free Record Shop back in the day... but now I dont see them anywhere. :(

That's amazing to hear that it has been compressed to 1GB! Is that confirmed?
Saves me buying another memory stick :)
(sorry, it's news to me, hadn't seen it in another thread)
Why would you need to buy another memory stick if you were acquiring the game legally? See, you just admitted you have a modded PSP and have no intention of buying the game. Your IP address has been noted and passed on accordingly.

Why would you need to buy another memory stick if you were acquiring the game legally? See, you just admitted you have a modded PSP and have no intention of buying the game. Your IP address has been noted and passed on accordingly.
I have no clue what you are talking about.

And then you wake up....

The game is available as either UMD or as PSN version.

But even the UMD version will have an option to install data on the memorystick to offer faster loading times. So a big memstick is necessary and has nothing to do with illegal games.

Who needs other games anyway when GTpsp arrives ?

Who needs other games anyway when GTpsp arrives ?
Me. I just bought God of War, will get MGS: Peace Walker, and may get LittleBigPlanet. And I have been rocking Rock Band: Unplugged for a month now.

the battery life would be shorten cause for the game to have those graphics i think it will utilize all the cpu power of the psp which is 333mhz as to the default 222mhz..

... and therefore I am happy that the status of my order for the official Sony 2200 battery at yesasia.com has changed from 'searching for suppliers' to 'ready to be shipped'.

In other words, if you live in Europe and want to buy the 2200 Sony psp battery, try yesasia.com.

I think that all the recent games are using 333 MHz :)
They are. God of War was the first. They had a demo video showing it at the original settings and what they could now do with the full 333mhz. The difference in shadows and effects was quite noticeable.

Back