Will GT5 threaten the existence of GTP?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nasanu
  • 74 comments
  • 6,979 views

If there is a message board in GT5, how will you use it?

  • I would stick to GTP

    Votes: 100 47.2%
  • I would use both boards

    Votes: 95 44.8%
  • I would switch to the offical in game forums

    Votes: 17 8.0%

  • Total voters
    212
Where can you find most of the best GT driver around? GTPlanet of course! I will visit this site a lot when GT5 comes out, that's for sure. Tournaments, teams, car battle, Track day (more friendly), tuning help, drift lesson, and any other stuff that an official message board CANNOT do.

How can you say an in game board can not do anything? What I am trying to get at here is that a forum system that lives in the game space can do anything this board can do plus a massive, massive amount more.

You talk of 'Tournaments, teams, car battle, Track day', well an in game board could do all those things for real. You could launch into it from a click of a button in the thread.

Imagine creating a new thread. You check the Time Trial Challenge box. You fill out the thread title and content, then are taken to a screen where you select the car and track rules. Post the new thread and anyone who wants to run in it can just simply hit the link in your thread and it will load up..

That is very much possible.
 
Personally, here is where the problem lies: This is called GTPlanet, which is supposedly meant that it is dedicated to the GT games. Looking through it, how much is here that has nothing to do with th GT games at all? Loads. If GT5 supports a message board for only GT-related stuff, all the better. Which is what this forum should have stuck to.

We have a GT5 forum which sticks to GT5. We also have a GT4 forum which sticks to GT4, a GT3 forum (idem), a GT2 forum (idem), a GT1 forum (idem) and fora for GT5P, GT4P and GTC (idem).

There's absolutely no reason why we should have no other fora. Our members are interested in many things - other racing games (we provide for those too - also, check out http://www.forzaplanet.net/), racing, cars and motorbikes are obvious examples. Everyone likes a laugh and a bit of OT banter - that's why we have the Rumble Strip and Comedy Corner. Then there's premium areas for paying members and, oh look, we've just made GTPlanet.

We have many members of GTP who've never visited the Gran Turismo sections of the site. That alone should tell you that your suggestion for what we "should have" done does not correspond to the best interests of the site.

Not to mention the fact that 21 of the 22 threads you've created have not been in the Gran Turismo sections of the site (and the one that was turned out to be irrelevant to Gran Turismo and was locked), or that 82% of your most recent posts have been made outside those sections. I guess you find the other parts of the site quite useful - and you'd have had nowhere to make those posts if we'd "stuck to" just Gran Turismo, like we "should have"?
 
The only thing that can threaten the existence of GTP. Is this:

asteroid-collision-2.jpg
 
...and the zombie uprising.
 
Look at any successful online community and you will see that an off-topic area is necessary. Without it, members don't have anywhere to blow off steam.

If you were around back in the days of GT.com (which had no affiliation with PD), you'd understand this pretty well.

granturismo.com had the pit stop?...
 
granturismo.com had the pit stop?...

...until Kenji went loco and deemed it unnecessary. That didn't end well.

...I can't remember, Nathan, what was the ultimate knock-out tournament you hosted called back then? I remember a website with a yellow background...

:)
 
...until Kenji went loco and deemed it unnecessary. That didn't end well.

...I can't remember, Nathan, what was the ultimate knock-out tournament you hosted called back then? I remember a website with a yellow background...

:)

Hehe, Top Gear was not mine, I just created the website :)

Sigh, I lost that site in an aborted HDD backup. It was the first site I designed that I was proud of.
 
You mean the other video game boards? There was enough demand by the community for Jordan to add them. Or the real-life car stuff? Makes sense a lot of members who play GT will be interested in more than just the digital equivalents. And the off-topic areas? Look at any successful online community and you will see that an off-topic area is necessary. Without it, members don't have anywhere to blow off steam.

If you were around back in the days of GT.com (which had no affiliation with PD), you'd understand this pretty well.

Well, maybe the forum should have it's name changed. Anybody seeing this forum for the first time would expect only stuff dedicated to the GT series and PS3 in general, and maybe a bit of talk about cars, but NOT anything to do with PCs, Xbox 360, retro games, other PS3 games etc. I certainly object to having a forum dedicated to the best driving game series ever being awash with Xbox 360 owner's crowing on about Forza 3.
 
Seems that the GT fans talk more Bout forza than forza fans.
 
GTP existed long before GT5. And it will exist long after GT5, too. :)
 
Well, maybe the forum should have it's name changed. Anybody seeing this forum for the first time would expect only stuff dedicated to the GT series and PS3 in general, and maybe a bit of talk about cars, but NOT anything to do with PCs, Xbox 360, retro games, other PS3 games etc. I certainly object to having a forum dedicated to the best driving game series ever being awash with Xbox 360 owner's crowing on about Forza 3.

You didn't take my suggestion to visit http://www.forzaplanet.net/ then?

If you object to a forum dedicated to a car racing game catering to other cars, other racing and other games, you are welcome to leave and find a forum that only does things to which you do not object. Or create your own, since that's the most efficient way to find a site that caters to your exact needs.
 
I think GT5 will threathen GTP's existence because we'll all be playing the game and try to unlock our favorite cars.
*unless GTP starts some racing leagues then i'll be here once a week*
 
Last edited:
Back